Hooked On Hammies
Hooked On Hammies

April 24th, 2004, 8:34 am #51

This is just the one I needed today. Been loving my quit, but feeling today like I needed a little bit of Freedom vibes.

And this one is perfect. Doesn't matter if it's 3 years old or 30. It's classic. The wisdom is Timeless.

And very simple. Sometimes when nothing else quiets the sulking beast, it's time to downshift into "I ain't gonna smoke TODAY" mode.

That's it.

Hammie
I have been quit for 3 Weeks, 3 Days, 17 hours, 39 minutes and 22 seconds (24 days). I have saved $74.20 by not smoking 494 cigarettes. I have saved 1 Day, 17 hours and 10 minutes of my life.

jane kathryn
jane kathryn

April 24th, 2004, 8:48 am #52

Loved that phrase, "sulking beast" Hammie. That's it exactly. Mine has fangs and claws and a big sulky junkie snarl, and a bottomless pit for a heart. I don't have kids, but I feel like I have a grouchy teenager to deal with all the same. Luckily the trump card is mine, along with wallet, car keys, etc. A classic indeed.

Jane K

Jane - Free and Healing for One Month, Fourteen Days, 21 Hours and 51 Minutes, while extending my life expectancy 2 Days and 8 Hours, by avoiding the use of 674 nicotine delivery devices that would have cost me $168.73.

913Jinx
913Jinx

April 27th, 2004, 10:08 am #53

Dear Bob;
This was EXACTLY what I needed to hear at this exact moment. I am free from nicotine just 13 days as you were when you posted this message and I have been experiencing the exact same thing; that taste in the mouth, the hideous cravings, the schitzophrenic debate and I almost gave in, I thought I wanted to give in. But I persuaded myself to just read a thought on craves and as I was drinking a quart of H2O, I read your message and had to wonder in amazement and laugh too. I think I'll make it to 2 weeks tomorrow, thanks to your wise counsel. Congrats on 2 years.
Jinx

janetd (GOLD)
janetd (GOLD)

April 27th, 2004, 10:49 am #54

Like a parent to an unreasonable child throwing a tantrum, "BECAUSE I SAID SO!". So, the junky sulked for the rest of the night, screaming, and stomping and generally annoying me, but had no power to touch my quit.

How I love this particular statement, Bob!

yqs, Janet :)
Two Years Five Months

UKMags1
UKMags1

April 27th, 2004, 5:14 pm #55

I really love this old post of Bob's and each time I read it I have to remind myself of something. You see, I tend to think of myself as a newbie and Bob an oldbie and that is how it is. But just about the time that Bob wrote this I was in the process of losing a ten year quit. It's sad to think that just a few weeks before that I would have been the REALLY seasoned oldbie and Bob would have been the newbie. How stupid I was to lose that quit. Words cannot express how frustrated I am to find myself in the position of quitting again. It doesn't matter whether this quit has been easy or hard, I should not have let myself get to the stage where, after ten years......TEN YEARS .....for goodness sake... I took another puff. It's scary to think that it was so easy to lose ten years of freedom. Ten years without once thinking of smoking except to pity other smokers.

Sometimes I fear for this quit but I console myself with the knowledge that although that previous quit had lasted for ten years I genuinely did not know that I could never take another puff....I wasn't educated in the laws of addiction. This time there is no excuse.....I want this quit to last longer than ten years and if it doesn't I will only be able to blame myself...I know the rules now.

The really bad thing about that lost quit is that in all those recovery tables, 10 years is the point at which your lungs are beginning to resemble a non-smokers lungs....don't suppose they are ever fully recovered. But I lost that, and after another 2 and a bit years smoking I expect I'll have another ten years to wait if not longer.

The rules are clear and I know from all the reading I have done here that I am not alone in having lost a long term quit. Keep it simple. As John would say there is only one rule.....no nicotine today.

Mags

117 days clean and 1410 cigs ignored.

(Imagine what this quit counter would say if I hadn't thrown away my 10 year quit......I'd be up to 12.5 years now......that's 4562 days!!!)

Just Never Take Another Puff

SammymnGOLD
SammymnGOLD

June 12th, 2004, 5:57 am #56

A bit of wisdom to tuck into your pocket for the weekend!
, Sarah (708 days of one day at a times)
Thanks O'Bob!

July 30th, 2004, 7:20 am #57

Here's a good one to carry in your healing mind!

Mocha
Mocha

August 17th, 2004, 4:33 am #58

One of my favorites...

don t smoke
don t smoke

August 20th, 2004, 11:11 pm #59

THANK YOU, BOB!!!!

This is an awesome thread! I have been saying that "I ain't gonna smoke today" thing subconsiously to my junkie who is now working at a whisper and playing a bit with my emotions. You put words to what I am doing--acknowledging the smoking thoughts and saying ....I am NOT going to smoke, period.
I also am so inspired because you are gold, and somehow I thought that maybe those who are gold were born gold. And when I read your everyday advice, I forget that you had to go through these things too. You are an inspiration.

Maryanne--Free for 2 months and 12 days and working on 2 months and 13 days.

malapela gold
malapela gold

August 21st, 2004, 11:16 am #60

Every time I come to this site I am amazed at what it can do for a seemingly hopeless situation. This thread has hit the mark. I went out tonight with three of my kids to a new restaurant in town - an old, converted firehouse. I don't know what it was but something hit me hard. I kept thinking "three minutes, three minutes, its only three minutes." The place was interesting, upbeat and fun. I guess that any joyful new experience was cause for a cigarette. There was a patio in view with some people on it but I couldn't see any smokers.

The urge seemed to last all the way home and has been hitting me in waves all night. I too decided that I'm just not going to smoke and I'm going to feel terrible. I hope it goes away tomorrow though.

John Three weeks, one day, 11 hours, 15 minutes and 41 seconds. 629 cigarettes not smoked, saving $94.37. Life saved: 2 days, 4 hours, 25 minutes.

Parker GOLD
Parker GOLD

December 18th, 2004, 9:23 pm #61

modojo7
modojo7

January 3rd, 2005, 10:28 am #62

Wow!!!
I'm just over 1 week into my quit.
Just been sent here via a link from another member after a cry for help on my part.
Can't believe I'm reading this, almost two years after it was first written, and it is so relevant for me today.
Thank you.
mary x

gavula
gavula

January 6th, 2005, 7:06 am #63

Thank you thank you thank you. Just not today. I'm in a little bit of a panic- I almost feel like there's two people in my head- but the one who wins is the one who says "I'm not going to smoke today."

Thanks
Anna- breathing in angels

tjrsmiler
tjrsmiler

January 30th, 2005, 6:22 pm #64

excellent.............. thanks bob

Smiler

BillW Gold.ffn
BillW Gold.ffn

February 11th, 2005, 6:02 am #65

to those who need to remember how strong they really are......

JoeJFree Gold
JoeJFree Gold

April 9th, 2005, 7:03 am #66

O'Bob, To have written and elaborated this perspective at 2 weeks into this journey is simply astounding. We going out for a Wine Tasting with friends. Just like acknowledgemnt of our addiction holds the key to our Freedom I now know I hold the keys to keeping our Craves locked up. Tonight, I'm the jailer and I got the keys. Thanks O'Bob.

"Since quitting, that side took custody of my wallet, hands and mouth. Without those 3 assets, the junky side has only the power to make me feel rotten; but not to relapse. " Outstanding

My name is JoeJFree always a nicotine addict and gratefully now an X-smoker for 2 months, 29 days, 8 hours, 48 minutes and 8 seconds (88 days)
I've now reclaimed 12 Days and 6 Hours to live life as I choose! NTAP!

JoeJFree Gold
JoeJFree Gold

April 24th, 2005, 5:49 am #67

Welcome to our many newer members. O'Bob wrote this over 3 years ago when he was a Newbie. This idea works and will help save your quit if time of need. I know, I had to pull the card in the 3rd week.

My name is JoeJFree always a nicotine addict and gratefully now an X-smoker for 3 months, 13 days, 7 hours, 34 minutes and 2 seconds (103 days)
I've now reclaimed 14 Days and 8 Hours to live life as I choose! NTAP!

TonyTosa
TonyTosa

July 19th, 2005, 6:45 am #68

Whoah- very inspiring Obob-Gold. I felt like I was having a crummy day, and even posted a pretty downtrodden segment in my journal today.

Wow. Right on man, I play the trump-card at day 11. I will not smoke, I dont care how crabby I feel about it.

You know, I didnt read all of the 94 replies to this thread, but one thing I find neat is that I can play this trump any time I feel like it, I always have this one in my hand.

janetd (GOLD)
janetd (GOLD)

August 17th, 2005, 11:51 am #69

For anyone hesitant about their fledgling quits tonight, it is so worth it. Don't blow it. Hold your quit tight, and as near and dear as possible. It does get easier over time!

yqs, Janet
nine minutes shy of Three Years Nine Months
Heehee! Who'd of thunk it?

JoeJFree Gold
JoeJFree Gold

December 12th, 2005, 12:57 am #70

Took awhile to find this one again. 'The list' is still in my wallet, just in case.

CindyL 106
CindyL 106

January 27th, 2006, 8:35 am #71

This is an amazing post that has been very important to me for the last few weeks. THANKS BOB for teaching us a great way to have the last word when we argue with our "inner junkie" NO...BECAUSE I SAID SO !

And thanks Sal for popping this one up to the top.
It's a favorite of mine.

Cindy

Sparky10191
Sparky10191

February 3rd, 2006, 11:40 am #72

Absolutely awesome post. Thanks to Cindy for pointing me in the right direction. I wish I could be this alliterate with the way I've been feeling.

April 29th, 2006, 9:07 am #73

From above:

SO, I resigned myself to the fact that yesterday wasn't going to be fun.
Reached in the pocket, and pulled out the trump card -- "I ain't gonna smoke today," I said. Simple, effective.
It doesn't matter that my junky mind is (for the moment) winning the debate over how good or bad cigarettes taste, and over how good or bad the experience of smoking is, my reasonable ex-smoker side has veto power.
Since quitting, that side took custody of my wallet, hands and mouth.
Without those 3 assets, the junky side has only the power to make me feel rotten; but not to relapse.

No nicotine today, one day at a time.

Blue1451
Blue1451

May 6th, 2006, 1:34 pm #74

Pulled out my card today!!!! "I ain't gonna smoke today"!
Tracy
I have been quit for 1 Month, 1 Week, 3 Days, 23 hours, 41 minutes and 37 seconds (40 days). I have saved $192.63 by not smoking 327 cigarettes. I have saved 1 Day, 3 hours and 15 minutes of my life.

Jacqui672 Gold
Jacqui672 Gold

June 30th, 2006, 4:35 am #75

Love this thread.

Three months, one day, 6 hours, 35 minutes and 53 seconds. 3730 cigarettes not smoked, saving $1,025.56. Life saved: 1 week, 5 days, 22 hours, 50 minutes.