Last Line of Defense (or Trump Card)

Subconscious use cue extinguishment
SammymnGOLD

03 Jan 2003, 06:00 #31

If you're having a hard day or struggling with the moment, this might just be the ticket for you. After all, the author and holder of that TRUMP CARD will be gold in just a few days and definitely knows of what he speaks. Image

Image, Sarah (5 Months, 4 Weeks, 1 Day, 6 Hours, 12 Minutes, 13 Seconds. Cigarettes not smoked: 3645. Money saved: $776.42).

dd03

22 Jan 2003, 12:51 #32

Wow! Thanks. That's exactly how I feel tonight.
(in fact i remember this point in all of my other, un-educated, but well-planned, but unsuccessful, quits in the past. It's where I always lost before)

I think I'll put us both to bed and not smoke tonight.
Three days, 20 hours, 23 minutes and 19 seconds. 153 cigarettes not smoked, saving $23.10. Life saved: 12 hours, 45 minutes.

I do love clicking that button though.

dd

StepperM

18 Apr 2003, 11:12 #33

That was a terrific piece for me to read right now. Image

I had a rough day today and my junkie thinking was trying to kick in and it was a struggle. Image I came across this one from a link on a different threat. Thanks Bob, I'm going to have a TRUMP card close by for me too!

Freegirl,

Nic free for 1 week, 4 days, 16 minutes. Yeah hoo!!! NTAP

OBob Gold

06 May 2003, 10:21 #34

I control my hands, my mouth and my wallet. Only I can make the decision to keep my freedom, or submit to slavery.

MareBear GOLD

06 May 2003, 21:25 #35

Yes friends, this post was written 16 months ago...by a newbie who had been quit for two weeks. Today that person is a comfortable ex-smoker who celebrated Gold months ago. He made it through and so can you!

Thanks OBob!

MareBearImage

11 months, 1 week...tick tick tick

silquitSILVER

06 May 2003, 22:09 #36

ImageI HAVE USED THE TRUMP CARD STRATEGY MYSELF OVER THE PAST FEW WEEKS. GUESS WHAT, IT WORKS!! THANKS, BOB. WHAT A GEM!!!

SIL

Gormo Gold

10 Nov 2003, 22:16 #37

As Lotus referenced in tiday;s Parade.
Keep your Quit in front of you and this in your back pocket.

rebmiami green

10 Nov 2003, 22:49 #38

I was using this trump card right from the beginning of this quit.
It has to be there, and it doesn't have to be used as a last resort.
If I had a pistol, a rifle, and a cannon, I might fire the cannon at the enemy first.
The trump card is my cannon.
My trump card is -- no matter what happens today, literally NO MATTER WHAT, I am not going to use nicotine. Whatever good or bad things happen, nicotine use isn't going to be one of them.

Your post story details a time that you ignored the standard recover wisdom of HALT: don't get too hungry angry lonely or tired. That is good advice. Generally those perception distorters will beef up the junkie mind, as happened to you. However, there has to be a gut level decision not to give any floor or hearing to the pleadings of the junkie mind. That is why I have not cut back too much on coffee. I'm not quitting coffee I'm quitting nicotine. I've cut back a little, because I don't need as much to get the kick. Coffee makes an urge spring up, but I ignore the urge.
I feel better if I exercise, but if I don't exercise because God forbid I sprain my ankle, that doesn't mean I can use. If it causes more daily urges so be it.

Prior to the use, there is a handing of the mental control of as you say "the hand mouth wallet and keys" to the junkie. That can't be done. Ever.

Cheers
Edson

DlunyGOLD

06 Dec 2003, 09:35 #39

"Reached in the pocket, and pulled out the trump card -- "I ain't gonna smoke today," I said. Simple, effective. It doesn't matter that my junky mind is (for the moment) winning the debate over how good or bad cigarettes taste, and over how good or bad the experience of smoking is, my reasonable ex-smoker side has veto power. Since quitting, that side took custody of my wallet, hands and mouth. Without those 3 assets, the junky side has only the power to make me feel rotten; but not to relapse.
The reasonable side knew that "I ain't gonna smoke today" was the final word, and spoke it. End of debate. Like a parent to an unreasonable child throwing a tantrum, "BECAUSE I SAID SO!". So, the junky sulked for the rest of the night, screaming, and stomping and generally annoying me, but had no power to touch my quit."--OBob-Gold

Thanks for that little pearl of wisdom Bob. If the junkie doesn't have control of MY money, hands or mouth, not even he can MAKE me smoke or otherwise use today.

It is also nice for us newbies to see how some of the Gold members handled their early quits. Shows me that we are all human.

yqb, David Four weeks, 11 hours, 33 minutes and 13 seconds. 512 cigarettes not smoked, saving $38.45. Life saved: 1 day, 18 hours, 40 minutes.

OBob Gold

06 Dec 2003, 10:04 #40

All human, and all addicts. I remember that day like it was last week. Passing each store that could have produced a relapse-inducing pack with a stubbornness I'd lacked in previous attempts.

I finally accepted that it was okay to be miserable for a while. There was no sugar-coating it... I felt like pulling my hair out (what little of it there is) at times. But, I made a rational decision that being miserable was okay... and accepted on faith that it was temporary.

In previous attempts, I operated under the motus that everything was fine as long as I felt okay. Sometimes, I'd feel okay for a couple of days. Then, the challenge would come, and I'd capitulate... either unwilling to absorb the blows, or - more likely - under the false impression that the first blows were just the first in a lifetime of them to come.

This day, January 18th, 2002, I just decided... "okay, I'm miserable. For now. So what! It ****, but it's only for a while." Having the good folks here at Freedom to assure me that all this was temporary made it a logical decision. No, I couldn't make myself feel better on January 18th... but I knew I was investing in a longer-term comfort.

Did you ever see "The Shawshank Redemption"? Where the main character crawls through a 3 foot diameter sewer pipe for a couple hundred yards to escape prison? The pipe was the bridge. Unpleasant as it gets. But, he knew what was behind him if he turned back (prison).... and what was in front of him if he endured (freedom). He chose to endure it, and "came out clean on the other side".

We've all got to cross that bridge. For some of us it's easier than for others... but however hard it is, it's a temporary investment. The other side, in this case, IS greener.

YQB,

ImageBob (23 months free)