OBob Gold
OBob Gold

January 19th, 2002, 7:46 am #11

That's the one all right. Thanks Joel!

mirigirl (silver)
mirigirl (silver)

January 19th, 2002, 8:45 am #12

Hey OBob - I love the way you describe your triggers and the way you defeat them - please don't stop posting these messages it is really helping me!!

My latest trigger was an overheating  car and the purchase of a new radiator yesterday - only to go out last night and find the car overheating again -very frustrating!!  So it was back to the radiator guy today - and it's still not fixed! So I had to drive the car home again with the meter on hot again!!    and wait for the mechanic on Monday.

The point of this whole story is that all today I was thinking ... wow I'd really be smoking now!!  It wasn't so much a crave - as I just couldn't stop thinking about smoking and how many cigarettes I would have had by now!

On the drive home I saw a motor bike rider sitting on the side of the road next to his bike - smoking a cigarette. He'd obviously stopped off on a long trip (we live in the country) to reward himself with a cigarette!
**trigger.trigger** Fantasy No## Mirigirl as as free and easy motorbike rider travelling all over the countryside - no worries -no responsibilities - just free to stop and have a cigarette now and then!??

I remember so many years after I stooped drinking I saw an advertising billboard of a young woman at a pub looking very groovey listening to music.  Fantasy no### mirigirl at a pub, drinking, having fun..... manageable..... until my next thought was "Who are you trying to kind mirigirl? You were never manageable, you were never together and groovey... you were always a drunk mess..."

Oh Dear.... obviously my fantasies have always fuelled my addictions. And that's exactly what they are FANTASIES -so totally out of touch from reality for me. Wow I need to wake myself up and get real about my life! I am so glad that I no longer live in that fantasy world. And today reality isn't really all that bad. Sorry to rave on so much but I guess I really needed to say and let go of all that. Today I like being nicotine-free. I may not be groovey anything, but at least I'm not playing russian roulette with my life.

So grateful today, that I haven't taken another puff. And it's real warm here so I'm off for a swim! It's good to be alive and free.

Thanks Freedom
mirigirl
another nicotine addict
2 weeks 4 days 11 hours Free
Last edited by mirigirl (silver) on March 1st, 2014, 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OBob Gold
OBob Gold

January 19th, 2002, 9:51 am #13

Beautiful! That really tickled the funny bone. A good laugh..... I'm still cracking up here..... I just have this image of the adventures of mirigirl, racing around the countryside in a convertable MG with a broken radiator, being pursued by a scores of alcohol and nicotine triggers in black sedans. Non-stop action. Kind of a mirigirl as James Bond (or maybe Austin Powers -- I can even here that flute music in the background as you screech past another groovy billboard).

Nothing like a good giggle to cap off another day without the smokes. Well played getting past all those nasties. Enjoy the swim -- you've earned it! (None for Obob today, as we're uncustomarily down in the minus range on the celsius tonight). And I hope you have better luck with your car tomorrow!

Cheers from your addict buddy.....1 Week 6 Days 12 Hours 50 Minutes 8 Seconds. Cigarettes not smoked: 135. Money saved: $33.84(USD).

AMD33 (gold)
AMD33 (gold)

January 19th, 2002, 1:07 pm #14

I love this thread! Congrats to you OBob. You beat the trigger. But you know what else? You were so dedicated to your quit that you prepared for that moment when you wouldn't be ready. You got your trump card and put it in the critical place so it would save you in case of an unexpected crisis.

Congrats on your great victory!

yqs,
Jessica

knowbutts (Gold)
knowbutts (Gold)

January 19th, 2002, 1:09 pm #15

Yes mirigirls post was really fabulous.

Obob ,
I really hear you when you talk about that taste in your mouth. You feel dry and edgy and you start to breath a little faster and you know its the time when your hand would be reaching for the lighter like a mindless slave...
NO!!!
I haven't experienced this for several weeks now but your post brought back the memory.
Don't waste your precious quit energy splitting hairs. Your fighting for your life! Be proud of every victory because NOTHING FEELS WORSE THAN RELAPSE!

knowbutts
failure is not an option- 9 weeks 6 days

OBob Gold
OBob Gold

January 20th, 2002, 4:55 am #16

Cheers Jessica and Knowbutts. 'nother smokefree day today (day 15). Went to the pub last night, the 4th time since I quit, and had maybe 2 thoughts, and no craves! The pub, at least, has been reconditioned.

michelle25
michelle25

January 20th, 2002, 11:11 pm #17

Bob,

Thank you for your post. I think the "taste in mouth" experience has hit home for many. I am the type of person who has to do the mental bantering back and forth and pull out a list of answers or rebuttles. You displayed an even more powerful rebuttle to your craves. The simple NO, just because. I also enjoyed how you just agreed with yourself to go ahead and be in a bad mood and not to like it! It is actually what I tell my son when I impose a limit he doesn't like. I say it is OK not to like this and to feel angry right now, but it is NOT OK to be inappropriate in your anger. Great job and thanks again for the encouraging post!

Michelle

janetd (GOLD)
janetd (GOLD)

July 5th, 2002, 12:08 am #18

Thanks, Bob! Another good post for this weekend!

Newbie buddies, if you're tempted, read this entire post and all the posts that are linked to it. One Day at a Time!

yqs, Janet

Alyson GOLD.ffn
Alyson GOLD.ffn

July 5th, 2002, 2:35 am #19

Wow. I'm finding myself a little frustrated at the slow pace my quit is hitting now that the lip chewing, pillow pounding phase has subsided. I AM UNCOMFORTABLE - ARGGGHHH. This thread was just what I needed! I really look up to Bob & Mirigirl as towers of strength - peering in on their early struggles helps me so much in keeping the faith. Thanks for sharing!

Alyson
9 Days 17 Hours 32 Minutes closer to comfort
220 Cigarettes denied
$44.00 & 18 Hours 20 Minutes reclaimed

SammymnGOLD
SammymnGOLD

August 8th, 2002, 1:06 am #20

Dear OBob et. al,

I am so all over this post! I occasionally have that irrational voice utter, "you still may wretch this thing up ya know," and though I usually can answer back with a somewhat strained and sometimes whiny, "ya but this time it's different because of a, b, and c" there are times I'm too damned tired to keep up the fight. But now I've got this post, which I absolutely adore and that is on its way to the laminating department as we speak, (slight exaggeration), and I'm borrowing your trump card, just in case I hid a bad patch. I think of it as a security blank for a 38 year old. Maybe someday I'll return it, maybe not, but its darned nice to know its there, tucked away in my handbag.....

Wonderful! Thank you! Sammy (33 days, 12 hours, 46 minutes).

Lilac (Bronze)
Lilac (Bronze)

August 15th, 2002, 6:19 am #21

What does one say after reading such a post? It is such a flawless account of one man's wisdom, humanity and humility. and a beautiful portrayal of an addict's winning struggle over his addiction.

Hey, isn't that the Haiku guy? That artist, poet fella? You know-----O'Bob., I think his name is.
Thanks to whomever pointed out this post to those of us who had not seen it.,
Lilac

relagoldalicious
relagoldalicious

August 15th, 2002, 10:41 am #22

What a great thread. i don't know how I stumbled upon it but i'm glad I did. It is nice to see a more seasoned freedomite go through this in the beginning too. It is exactly the thought process that i go through with the rational mind. thanks oBob. As they say in So.Cal...
You're Rad!!
YQS-AriellaOne week, one day, 18 hours, 15 minutes and 8 seconds. 175 cigarettes not smoked, saving $61.32. Life saved: 14 hours, 35 minutes.
Last edited by relagoldalicious on March 1st, 2014, 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RIVERDOGgold
RIVERDOGgold

August 15th, 2002, 11:33 am #23

Could someone PLEASE put OBOB's brain in my head.......I'm serious. It worries me to see his clarity, I just don't know if I will ever real have that degree of clarity, Mike : )

peering thru the fog, 33 days, 1000 smokes

Lilac (Bronze)
Lilac (Bronze)

August 15th, 2002, 7:08 pm #24

Dear Riverdog,
Your posts are priceless. "Peering through the fog" is not only apt for most of us but sure to make us smile. And smiling, for me, is a large part of hanging on. You have your own kind of clarity. A well rounded forum this is--------

Happy to be here, Lilac.

SammymnGOLD
SammymnGOLD

September 28th, 2002, 3:10 am #25

It's safe, reliable, effective. It's O'Bob's Trump Card post.

, Sarah

Lilac (Bronze)
Lilac (Bronze)

September 28th, 2002, 8:40 am #26

This is just so superb. Now why in the world does it make me want to cry-------------Lilac

IrishLotus GOLD
IrishLotus GOLD

October 2nd, 2002, 9:23 pm #27

Can't believe I haven't seen this post before (personally, I think it should be on the "Advice 4 Newbies" page). And it makes me want to cry too Lilac...I think it is the fact that I can actually go back in time and see that my "pillars of strength" oldbies were once where I am...at the bottom of that endless mountain, struggling towards the summit one day at a time. Plus OBob is so wise and comforting...sometimes all I need to do is think of his trademark coffee cup and I remember that this IS doable. Thanks for all of the wisdom you share Bob...it is truly priceless.

Sincerely,
Mary Kate

Feeling the healing for 1 Week 1 Day 7 Hours 23 Minutes 30 Seconds. Cigarettes not smoked: 249. Money saved: $62.31.

OBob Gold
OBob Gold

October 3rd, 2002, 10:12 am #28

Just for the record Mary Kate.... it's tea.

YQB,

Bob (creepin' up on 9 months)

Suekickbutt (GOLD)
Suekickbutt (GOLD)

October 3rd, 2002, 2:21 pm #29

OBob, what a wonderful thread to bring up for any of us quitters who may be struggling today. You have the amazing gift to be able to say what other people are thinking, but cannot express well enough for others to understand. This is in no way meant to insult you or anyone reading this ... there you are, I am obviously one of those who cannot get my words across clearly enough.
Anyway, bingo!
Sue
4 months, 1 week.

SammymnGOLD
SammymnGOLD

October 31st, 2002, 12:22 am #30

A good, practical tool for us during bad days.

, Sarah

SammymnGOLD
SammymnGOLD

January 3rd, 2003, 6:00 am #31

If you're having a hard day or struggling with the moment, this might just be the ticket for you. After all, the author and holder of that TRUMP CARD will be gold in just a few days and definitely knows of what he speaks.

, Sarah (5 Months, 4 Weeks, 1 Day, 6 Hours, 12 Minutes, 13 Seconds. Cigarettes not smoked: 3645. Money saved: $776.42).

dd03
dd03

January 22nd, 2003, 12:51 pm #32

Wow! Thanks. That's exactly how I feel tonight.
(in fact i remember this point in all of my other, un-educated, but well-planned, but unsuccessful, quits in the past. It's where I always lost before)

I think I'll put us both to bed and not smoke tonight.
Three days, 20 hours, 23 minutes and 19 seconds. 153 cigarettes not smoked, saving $23.10. Life saved: 12 hours, 45 minutes.

I do love clicking that button though.

dd

StepperM
StepperM

April 18th, 2003, 11:12 am #33

That was a terrific piece for me to read right now.

I had a rough day today and my junkie thinking was trying to kick in and it was a struggle. I came across this one from a link on a different threat. Thanks Bob, I'm going to have a TRUMP card close by for me too!

Freegirl,

Nic free for 1 week, 4 days, 16 minutes. Yeah hoo!!! NTAP

OBob Gold
OBob Gold

May 6th, 2003, 10:21 am #34

I control my hands, my mouth and my wallet. Only I can make the decision to keep my freedom, or submit to slavery.

MareBear GOLD
MareBear GOLD

May 6th, 2003, 9:25 pm #35

Yes friends, this post was written 16 months ago...by a newbie who had been quit for two weeks. Today that person is a comfortable ex-smoker who celebrated Gold months ago. He made it through and so can you!

Thanks OBob!

MareBear

11 months, 1 week...tick tick tick