"Just think about something else."

Subconscious use cue extinguishment
IrishLotus GOLD

03 Oct 2002, 23:31 #11

Wheww...not meant to be overly dramatic...just really BAD at math (must be this lack of concentration thing)...the number scared me though!!!! Actually, in the last 6 years I had smoked approximately:
Sixy Five Thousand Seven Hundred Cigarettes
My apologies for miscalculation:
MK

Tulip GOLD

05 Nov 2002, 19:52 #12

Thanks Joel - very timely post for me.Image I need to be reminded that the fantasty will always be better. I don't want to smoke all those other cigarettes attached to that "perfect" smoke either. I think I am far enough into my quit that I tend to let my guard down to junkie thinking and not be 100% committed like I was, say a week into my quit. Thanks to Freedom I'm learning everydayImage

Tulip 1 month, 3 weeks, 4 days

John (Gold)

08 Jan 2003, 20:15 #13

Can truth help set us free?

wcsdancer (Gold)

07 Feb 2003, 01:57 #14

ImageJoel, this is the perfect Rx for us "over thinkers". If I was inclined to ruminate (and I was a lot) following through with the whole picture was very healing. Bringing this up was a nice partner piece to the article Melissa shared today. Thanks!
*Candy*

Cindy20 Bronze

26 Feb 2003, 03:10 #15

Thank you for this post, I thought I was fixated with not smoking but where it said that I did want one, I guess I finally admitted it and when I did, I cried and cried.
I am in denial, I tell myself all day that I don't want one and in reality I am fixated on the fantasy one. Thanks for the dose of reality.
Cindy

John (Gold)

28 Jul 2003, 18:41 #16

If you could forget what bondage & life as a feeding addict was like,
what thoughts would serve as fuel in this quest for freedom?

Joel

31 Aug 2003, 01:53 #17

I am not saying to look at cigarettes negatively, just look at them exactly as they really were. If you pull the whole spectrum of smoking into focus, you will be able to walk away from the "urge" with the attitude that you are glad you are not doing that anymore. You won't feel deprived you will feel grateful. The more you remember smoking the less you will think about a cigarette. In a sense forcing yourself to remember will help you forget. Not forget smoking, but the fantasy, the appeal of a nicotine fix. A nicotine fix was not worth smoking for while you were a smoker, you can bet it is not worth it as an ex-smoker with freedom to lose now as well as all the other implications that always went with smoking.

In summing up, I will say that not smoking will never seem as good as the fantasy of smoking. But smoking was never that good either. The fantasy is "one" with no side effects, and no loss of control. The reality though is a dirty, disgusting, and deadly addiction. See them for what they are and you will stop wanting them as much.

Again, it can't be said too often, you are fighting for your health and your life. To win this fight is no more complicated than just keeping your commitment enforced to never take another puff!

Joel

Jeff 74 Gold

31 Oct 2003, 20:28 #18

First of all I am proud to say that I am nicotine free for over 4 days and 2 hours. Last night was a test for me. I choose to describe the situation as a test rather than a challenge. A challenge implies some level of luck. A test implies the ability to apply your knowledge to the situation and succeed.

I want to thank everyone that has something to do with the creation of this site. It has given me the education that I need to understand and rationalize what my body and mind is doing to me. Let me elaborate on the test I experienced last night.

I am a single father of a two year old son. Last night was Begger's night. Of course there was the natural stress of coming home, making supper, and heading out. I spent the evening with my parents, and went out begging in their neighborhood. Both of which are very heavy smokers. In the past I went back to my habit when I was around them. Last night was different.

Last night the thought of smoking crossed my mind and this is what I told my self. It came very natural, because it is what I beleive.
1) One puff is all that it will take to start the withdrawl sequence over. I do not ever want to live that again.
2) I noticed how the cigs controlled them. They had to stop certain activities to light up.

I handled all of this well. Then my mind stepped up the game. I just angry over something pretty small and silly. The desire to smoke became very strong. Then I realized that my mind was trying to convince me that smoking would make me less angry. After realizing this I relaxed-over time. I went to bed proud that I made it another day and looked forward to today.

I will remain smoke free for the rest of my life. I am doing this for me for the first time. I know that I am an addict. I have the knowledge that I need to keep from ever touching a cig again.

Thanks to everyone that helped put this site together.

OBob Gold

01 Nov 2003, 02:22 #19

Well done! I like your change in terminology to "test". I think I'll start using that word as well. Your explanation makes perfect sense.

Joel

11 Nov 2003, 09:19 #20

I am not saying to look at cigarettes negatively, just look at them exactly as they really were. If you pull the whole spectrum of smoking into focus, you will be able to walk away from the "urge" with the attitude that you are glad you are not doing that anymore. You won't feel deprived you will feel grateful. The more you remember smoking the less you will think about a cigarette. In a sense forcing yourself to remember will help you forget. Not forget smoking, but the fantasy, the appeal of a nicotine fix. A nicotine fix was not worth smoking for while you were a smoker, you can bet it is not worth it as an ex-smoker with freedom to lose now as well as all the other implications that always went with smoking.

In summing up, I will say that not smoking will never seem as good as the fantasy of smoking. But smoking was never that good either. The fantasy is "one" with no side effects, and no loss of control. The reality though is a dirty, disgusting, and deadly addiction. See them for what they are and you will stop wanting them as much.

Again, it can't be said too often, you are fighting for your health and your life. To win this fight is no more complicated than just keeping your commitment enforced to never take another puff!

Joel