Junkie Thinking.....

Junkie Thinking.....

Joanne Gold

15 Mar 2000, 11:46 #1

Junkie Thinking has a new address...my favorite link!! You will always find this web site handy on Freedom's front door....

Junkie Thinking When it comes to addictive behavior and thought processes, the smoker is right up there with the cocaine or heroine addict. Especially in the early stages of quitting smoking do we tend to crave "Just One". Unfortunately, that is nothing but the mind of the addict rationalizing the next of many fixes. (Excerpted from Patricia Allison's book "Hooked But Not Helpless") Find out why "Just One" can never be an option...

JUNKIE THINKING: "One Puff won't hurt"
RESPONSE: "One puff will always hurt me, and it always will because I'm not a social smoker. One puff and I'll be smoking compulsively again."

JUNKIE THINKING: "I only want one."
RESPONSE: "I have never wanted only one. In fact, I want 20-30 a day every day. I want them all."

JUNKIE THINKING: "I'll just be a social smoker."
RESPONSE: "I'm a chronic, compulsive smoker, and once I smoke one I'll quickly be thinking about the next one. Social smokers can take it or leave it. That's not me."

JUNKIE THINKING: "I'm doing so well, one won't hurt me now."
RESPONSE: "The only reason I'm doing so well is because I haven't taken the first one. Yet once I do, I won't be doing well anymore. I'll be smoking again."

JUNKIE THINKING: "I'll just stop again."
RESPONSE: "Sounds easy, but who am I trying to kid? Look how long it too me to stop this time. And once I start, how long will it take before I get sick enough to face withdrawal again? In fact, when I'm back in the grip of compulsion, what guarantee do I have that I'll ever be able to stop again?"

JUNKIE THINKING: "If I slip, I'll keep trying."
RESPONSE: "If I think I can get away with one little "slip" now I'll think I can get away with another little "slip" later on."

JUNKIE THINKING: "I need one to get me through this withdrawal."
RESPONSE: "Smoking will not get me through the discomfort of not smoking. It will only get me back to smoking. One puff stops the process of withdrawal and I'll have to go through it all over again."

JUNKIE THINKING: "I miss smoking right now."
RESPONSE: "Of course I miss something I've been doing every day for most of my life. Bud do I miss the chest pain right now? Do I miss the worry, the embarrassment? I'd rather be an ex-smoker with an occasional desire to smoke, than a smoker with a constant desire to stop doing it."

JUNKIE THINKING: "I really need to smoke now, I'm so upset."
RESPONSE: "Smoking is not going to fix anything. I'll still be upset, I'll just be an upset smoker. I never have to have a cigarette. Smoking is not a need; it's a want. Once the crisis is over, I'll be relieved and grateful I'm still not smoking."

JUNKIE THINKING: "I don't care."
RESPONSE: "What is it exactly that I think that I don't care about? Can I truthfully say I don't care about chest pain? I don't care about gagging in the morning? I don't care about lung cancer? No, I care about these things very much. That's why I stopped smoking in the first place."

JUNKIE THINKING: "What difference does it make, anyway?"
RESPONSE: "It makes a difference in the way I breathe, the way my heart beats, the way I feel about myself. It makes a tremendous difference in every aspect of my physical and emotional health."

quit4good

15 Mar 2000, 21:55 #2

(((Joanne))) Wow, did you beat me to the punch or what. I woke up this morning with another horrendous crave and that stinkin junkie thinkin kicked in to overdrive...came so close to messing up my freedom...but I got up and hit the showers instead, and planned to read, read, read once I got to work this morning. I log on and see your thread. Thank you sooo much. Your love and support sure is wonderful.

Great big (((HUGS))), your quit sis, Amy

I have been Quit for: 3W 4D 10h 44m 31s. I have NOT smoked 636, for a savings of $95.43. Life Saved: 2D 5h.

Joanne Gold

16 Mar 2000, 03:04 #3

(((((AmyImage))))) speaking of "wonderful" your stats are awesome. ; ) Looking forward to celebrating your one month milestone. I am so proud of you, the way you struggled and jumped right back. Hold tight friend, you will see better days...I promise!!

Thanks for always being here with warm hugs and caring words.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Joanne ; )

quit4good

16 Mar 2000, 03:11 #4

(((Joanne))) I LOVE those blinking hearts. Now that you mention it, where do you come up with all of the wonderful gif's?

I'd much rather be a nonsmoker with an occasional urge to smoke than a smoker with a constant desire.

(((HUGS))), your quit sis, Amy

I have been Quit for: 3W 4D 15h 59m 15s. I have NOT smoked 641, for a savings of $96.25. Life Saved: 2D 5h 25m.

NOMO

06 Jan 2001, 13:57 #5

Christiana

06 Jan 2001, 23:19 #6

i LOVE THIS POST,, **** I LOVE ALL THE POST THAN KICKS JUNKIE THINKING INTO THE GARBAGE PAIL WHERE IT BELONGS.. IF I SEEM A LITTLE MEAN SPIRITED TODAY.. I AM,, I JUST HEARD ADDICTION HAS HOOKED ANOTHER GENERATION OF MY FAMILY.. OK, THAT MAKES 5 GENERATIONS WHO SOMEHOW MANAGE TO PICK UP SMOKES AND OTHER SUBSTANCES AND SOMEHOW MANAGES TO BE NOT HEARD FROM FOR 20- 30Y AND IN MY DAD'S CASE DEATH..... YEP THEN HE WAS SORRY.....

GrumpyOMrsS (Gold)

06 Jan 2001, 23:36 #7

Dear Christiana.....

Like you, I am also in a bit of a huff today because of the hold that so many substances can have on a person....I too, see it every day at work....and these are people with legit prescriptions killing themselves (tranquilizers, pain pills, mood enhancers).....and the over 400 packs of cigarettes we sell a day and the cases of beer and bottles of wine......yes....lots of people hiding behind one form of drug or another.

I am sorry for your news and your losses.......but look on the brighter side, sweetheart......you got your BB.....and he just quit....and last night...got a note from the only other member of my family that smokes....my youngest daughter....she was in her 33 hour of a quit....

so we win some we lose some.....it just hurts lots to see those we know and love killing themselves.

hope your day gets better....
love, Linda

Christiana

06 Jan 2001, 23:41 #8

I SOME HOW KNEW YOU WOULD FIND ME,, A LITTLE LIGHT IN THE DARK,,, YEA, AND BB IS DOING SWELL.. !!! THANKS FOR THE REMENDER.. LOVE CHRISTIANA

Christiana

06 Jan 2001, 23:44 #9

I FORGOT,, TO SAY I AM HAPPY FOR YOUR DAUGHTERS 33H, AND FOR YOU !!! SILENT NIGHT,, HOLY NIGHT,, ALL IS CALM ,, ALL IS BRIGHT...... YQS cHRISTIANA

Joanne Gold

26 Feb 2001, 11:10 #10

Hi friendsImage...this article on junkie thinking is my all time favorite - excerpted from Patricia Allison's book "Hooked But Not Helpless"

When I first quit smoking I printed several copies and pasted it all over the house lol...even my car.Image It certainly says a lot and each of us can relate to it.Image

Just today I had an old friend email me and ask me for a copy. As long as I was digging it up here....thought it would be nice to pass it around again for our many newbies.

EnjoyImage

With love,
JoanneImage