Junkie Thinking.....

Joanne Gold
Joanne Gold

11:46 AM - Mar 15, 2000 #1

Junkie Thinking has a new address...my favorite link!! You will always find this web site handy on Freedom's front door....

Junkie Thinking When it comes to addictive behavior and thought processes, the smoker is right up there with the cocaine or heroine addict. Especially in the early stages of quitting smoking do we tend to crave "Just One". Unfortunately, that is nothing but the mind of the addict rationalizing the next of many fixes. (Excerpted from Patricia Allison's book "Hooked But Not Helpless") Find out why "Just One" can never be an option...

JUNKIE THINKING: "One Puff won't hurt"
RESPONSE: "One puff will always hurt me, and it always will because I'm not a social smoker. One puff and I'll be smoking compulsively again."

JUNKIE THINKING: "I only want one."
RESPONSE: "I have never wanted only one. In fact, I want 20-30 a day every day. I want them all."

JUNKIE THINKING: "I'll just be a social smoker."
RESPONSE: "I'm a chronic, compulsive smoker, and once I smoke one I'll quickly be thinking about the next one. Social smokers can take it or leave it. That's not me."

JUNKIE THINKING: "I'm doing so well, one won't hurt me now."
RESPONSE: "The only reason I'm doing so well is because I haven't taken the first one. Yet once I do, I won't be doing well anymore. I'll be smoking again."

JUNKIE THINKING: "I'll just stop again."
RESPONSE: "Sounds easy, but who am I trying to kid? Look how long it too me to stop this time. And once I start, how long will it take before I get sick enough to face withdrawal again? In fact, when I'm back in the grip of compulsion, what guarantee do I have that I'll ever be able to stop again?"

JUNKIE THINKING: "If I slip, I'll keep trying."
RESPONSE: "If I think I can get away with one little "slip" now I'll think I can get away with another little "slip" later on."

JUNKIE THINKING: "I need one to get me through this withdrawal."
RESPONSE: "Smoking will not get me through the discomfort of not smoking. It will only get me back to smoking. One puff stops the process of withdrawal and I'll have to go through it all over again."

JUNKIE THINKING: "I miss smoking right now."
RESPONSE: "Of course I miss something I've been doing every day for most of my life. Bud do I miss the chest pain right now? Do I miss the worry, the embarrassment? I'd rather be an ex-smoker with an occasional desire to smoke, than a smoker with a constant desire to stop doing it."

JUNKIE THINKING: "I really need to smoke now, I'm so upset."
RESPONSE: "Smoking is not going to fix anything. I'll still be upset, I'll just be an upset smoker. I never have to have a cigarette. Smoking is not a need; it's a want. Once the crisis is over, I'll be relieved and grateful I'm still not smoking."

JUNKIE THINKING: "I don't care."
RESPONSE: "What is it exactly that I think that I don't care about? Can I truthfully say I don't care about chest pain? I don't care about gagging in the morning? I don't care about lung cancer? No, I care about these things very much. That's why I stopped smoking in the first place."

JUNKIE THINKING: "What difference does it make, anyway?"
RESPONSE: "It makes a difference in the way I breathe, the way my heart beats, the way I feel about myself. It makes a tremendous difference in every aspect of my physical and emotional health."

quit4good
quit4good

9:55 PM - Mar 15, 2000 #2

(((Joanne))) Wow, did you beat me to the punch or what. I woke up this morning with another horrendous crave and that stinkin junkie thinkin kicked in to overdrive...came so close to messing up my freedom...but I got up and hit the showers instead, and planned to read, read, read once I got to work this morning. I log on and see your thread. Thank you sooo much. Your love and support sure is wonderful.

Great big (((HUGS))), your quit sis, Amy

I have been Quit for: 3W 4D 10h 44m 31s. I have NOT smoked 636, for a savings of $95.43. Life Saved: 2D 5h.

Joanne Gold
Joanne Gold

3:04 AM - Mar 16, 2000 #3

(((((Amy))))) speaking of "wonderful" your stats are awesome. ; ) Looking forward to celebrating your one month milestone. I am so proud of you, the way you struggled and jumped right back. Hold tight friend, you will see better days...I promise!!

Thanks for always being here with warm hugs and caring words.

Joanne ; )

quit4good
quit4good

3:11 AM - Mar 16, 2000 #4

(((Joanne))) I LOVE those blinking hearts. Now that you mention it, where do you come up with all of the wonderful gif's?

I'd much rather be a nonsmoker with an occasional urge to smoke than a smoker with a constant desire.

(((HUGS))), your quit sis, Amy

I have been Quit for: 3W 4D 15h 59m 15s. I have NOT smoked 641, for a savings of $96.25. Life Saved: 2D 5h 25m.

NOMO
NOMO

1:57 PM - Jan 06, 2001 #5

Christiana
Christiana

11:19 PM - Jan 06, 2001 #6

i LOVE THIS POST,, **** I LOVE ALL THE POST THAN KICKS JUNKIE THINKING INTO THE GARBAGE PAIL WHERE IT BELONGS.. IF I SEEM A LITTLE MEAN SPIRITED TODAY.. I AM,, I JUST HEARD ADDICTION HAS HOOKED ANOTHER GENERATION OF MY FAMILY.. OK, THAT MAKES 5 GENERATIONS WHO SOMEHOW MANAGE TO PICK UP SMOKES AND OTHER SUBSTANCES AND SOMEHOW MANAGES TO BE NOT HEARD FROM FOR 20- 30Y AND IN MY DAD'S CASE DEATH..... YEP THEN HE WAS SORRY.....

GrumpyOMrsS (Gold)
GrumpyOMrsS (Gold)

11:36 PM - Jan 06, 2001 #7

Dear Christiana.....

Like you, I am also in a bit of a huff today because of the hold that so many substances can have on a person....I too, see it every day at work....and these are people with legit prescriptions killing themselves (tranquilizers, pain pills, mood enhancers).....and the over 400 packs of cigarettes we sell a day and the cases of beer and bottles of wine......yes....lots of people hiding behind one form of drug or another.

I am sorry for your news and your losses.......but look on the brighter side, sweetheart......you got your BB.....and he just quit....and last night...got a note from the only other member of my family that smokes....my youngest daughter....she was in her 33 hour of a quit....

so we win some we lose some.....it just hurts lots to see those we know and love killing themselves.

hope your day gets better....
love, Linda

Christiana
Christiana

11:41 PM - Jan 06, 2001 #8

I SOME HOW KNEW YOU WOULD FIND ME,, A LITTLE LIGHT IN THE DARK,,, YEA, AND BB IS DOING SWELL.. !!! THANKS FOR THE REMENDER.. LOVE CHRISTIANA

Christiana
Christiana

11:44 PM - Jan 06, 2001 #9

I FORGOT,, TO SAY I AM HAPPY FOR YOUR DAUGHTERS 33H, AND FOR YOU !!! SILENT NIGHT,, HOLY NIGHT,, ALL IS CALM ,, ALL IS BRIGHT...... YQS cHRISTIANA

Joanne Gold
Joanne Gold

11:10 AM - Feb 26, 2001 #10

Hi friends...this article on junkie thinking is my all time favorite - excerpted from Patricia Allison's book "Hooked But Not Helpless"

When I first quit smoking I printed several copies and pasted it all over the house lol...even my car. It certainly says a lot and each of us can relate to it.

Just today I had an old friend email me and ask me for a copy. As long as I was digging it up here....thought it would be nice to pass it around again for our many newbies.

Enjoy

With love,
Joanne

Michael I Quit
Michael I Quit

2:10 AM - Feb 27, 2001 #11

Hi Joann,
You hit it on the head again! Yesterday I was a t a swap meat with a bunch of people who smoked and on the way home I wanted just one real bad,Well I keeped saying to my self not know,Not one ! Not a stinking puff.It was hard but it worked.Again I would like to thank all of you at freedom for all the help. I could't do it with out you.One month, six days, 1 minute and 40 seconds. 740 cigarettes not smoked, saving $148.00. Life saved: 2 days, 13 hours, 40 minutes.

Thanks again
Live long and prospe
SMOKE FREE
Michael

improud (golder)
improud (golder)

2:25 AM - Feb 27, 2001 #12

Thank you Thank you Thank you. I couldn't post all weekend, screwed up my computer and boy was I having a hard time. I was junkie thinking on Saturday evening all through Sunday and had a horrible dream last night that I smoked and sat there counting how many. Woke up this morning really unhappy and upset. I can always count on coming here and getting the kick I need. I really have to get my computer up and running, it's hard on the weekends with no Freedom to go too. I have been Quit for: 1M 3W 1D 14h 47m 10s. I have NOT smoked 1608, for a savings of $241.27. Life Saved: 5D 14h. YQS Cathy

OBob Gold
OBob Gold

12:20 PM - Feb 03, 2002 #13

OBob Gold
OBob Gold

4:02 AM - Feb 25, 2002 #14

OBob Gold
OBob Gold

4:16 PM - Jun 24, 2002 #15

OBob Gold
OBob Gold

7:02 AM - Aug 08, 2002 #16

OBob Gold
OBob Gold

11:22 AM - Aug 13, 2002 #17

Found these on another Junky Thinking thread...

JUNKIE THINKING: "I'm Bored"

RESPONSE: Smoking is an "activity" or "something to do" only for
smokers. I'm really not "doing" anything when I smoke except still
sitting/standing there. The rest of the world survives occasional
boredom quite well without inhaling life-challenging chemicals.

JUNKIE THINKING: "But they've been smoking on TV and in the movies for
years! There are even magazines devoted to tobacco products!

RESPONSE: "That's right. They were on TV for years, I wasn't. I'm still
alive; many of them aren't and they departed this vale of tears in
prolonged and painful ways. And the smiling faces in the magazines now
are risking painful and disfiguring surgery later, at which point they
won't be smiling at all."

JUNKIE THINKING: "Its so nice to go out for a 'breath of fresh air' and
a cigarette."

RESPONSE: "Fresh air? I've got to be kidding. And face it, sunny days
are one thing, but how many days do I huddle out in the rain with the
rain hitting the cigarette and turning the cigarette paper that
disgusting yellow color? How many times is it windy and it takes forever
to keep a match or lighter lit long enough to light the cigarette, and
then how often does a gust of wind come up and blow the ashes into my
eyes? And when its icy outside, freezing my face off is bad enough, but
when it defrosts, there's this bizarre yellow condensation around my
nostrils. Now THAT'S attractive."

JUNKIE THINKING: "Smoking makes work go faster."

RESPONSE: "Most jobs where you work indoors are in companies which ban
smoking in the workplace. Some companies won't hire me if I smoke. And everytime I stop for a smoke it actually prolongs my work, since I'm not busy accomplishing it."

OBob Gold
OBob Gold

1:42 PM - Nov 12, 2002 #18

So gold
So gold

4:27 PM - Nov 12, 2002 #19

Hey OBob!

Great thread... I needed that.

Nice to see you up and around again. I hope your cold is better.

3 weeks TODAY!
Sten

OBob Gold
OBob Gold

9:06 AM - Dec 09, 2002 #20

TDQ,

Hope you don't mind me pasting your inner debate here. Good stuff....

IJ: Listen to that wheeze--I never wheezed this badly when I was smoking...
ME: Yes, I did. And when I smoked, I was constantly using bronchodilators helpfully supplied by the tobacco companies...
IJ: Um. Yeah. I forgot about that....

Being Honest About Our Addiction
There is no legitimate reason to relapse

IJ: Man, with all these coughs, sniffles, and sneezes, I can't smell anything, taste much, or breathe properly. Might as well be smoking...
ME: Yeah? And the coughs, sniffles, and sneezes will feel better with tobacco smoke added?
IJ. Er. Well...maybe not....

Is it true that everything smells and tastes better when you quit smoking?
What did you love about smoking?

IJ: God, I'm under so much stress right now...if I could have just one cigarette, I'd feel so much better.
ME: Maybe, but the next 25 will be really expensive. And once the habit's reestablished, you'll be spending $150.00 a month you don't have.
IJ: Oh. Never mind.

Fixating on a cigarette.
The One Puff Files

TDQ gold
TDQ gold

9:26 AM - Dec 09, 2002 #21

No prob, Obob!

This thread is close to what I was looking for today, anyway...I just needed some reinforcement to argue with that Inner Junky...

TDQ(b) -- thedreadedquitter(bronze)
Da numbas:
3 Months 3 Weeks 3 Days 21 Hours 45 Minutes 17 Seconds
2922 not smoked, saving $730.67

OBob Gold
OBob Gold

10:22 AM - May 06, 2003 #22

qwerty (green)
qwerty (green)

6:31 PM - May 06, 2003 #23

Thanks Joanne and OBob! This is an excellent thread, especially for us newbies. Reminders are always helpful. I have a minor variation of the first one in Joanne's list, one I've played out over the last several days (but only a few times).

Junkie Thinking: "One puff will be so incredibly good, so completely wonderful, better than any fantasy you've ever had, a thousand times better than the best cigaratte you can remember."

Response: "Sit down and be quiet, you big liar! I know the truth, cause I'm busy reading Freedom posts right now."

qwerty
2 weeks, 1 day
NTAP

BillW Gold.ffn
BillW Gold.ffn

9:24 PM - May 06, 2003 #24

Hi Joanne! Great thread!

Junkie thinking may never fully go away, but the intensity of the battle sure changes! This one happened the evening after I made Gold.......

JUNKIE THINKING: Well, you've gone a whole year, and shown you can do it if you want. Now we can go back to smoking!
RESPONSE: Laughter..... pure, free, unforced laughter; rising up spontaneously from a bottomless well of joy and gratitude......

For those of you still in the battle...... You can win this!

BillW

OBob Gold
OBob Gold

6:25 PM - May 25, 2003 #25