Is it true that everything smells and tastes better when you quit smoking?

Is it true that everything smells and tastes better when you quit smoking?

Joel

20 Nov 2002, 09:25 #1

Is it true that everything smells and tastes better when you quit smoking? Nope. Everything smells and tastes more accurate when you quit smoking. More accurate does not necessarily mean better. When your first spring time rolls around after you quit smoking you will likely smell the aromas of flowers that smell much more intense and also likely much more pleasant than you perceived while you were still smoking. You will likely say that these aromas do smell much better.

But drive by a garbage dump or a sewage treatment plant now and see how much better it smells since you quit smoking. The odds are it will not smell better but may in fact smell much worse and more pungent than before.

The same principle applies to tastes. You may find that you start to perceive new flavors in foods. You may find that certain vegetables in a salad actually have a flavor while for the years you smoked you may have thought they were only added to give the salad a crunch. This does not automatically mean you will like the flavor.

You may find that you were spicing foods a lot more when you were a smoker too just so you could taste them. If you prepare the foods with the same amount of spicing as you did while smoking you may find that it is way over spiced for your new found taste buds.

So while not everything is going to smell and taste better--things are going to smell and taste more accurate. While not all things will smell better, one thing you should know for sure is that you are going to smell a whole lot better to the rest of the non-smoking world as long as you always remember to never take another puff!

Joel

Last edited by Joel on 16 Aug 2012, 17:54, edited 4 times in total.

richard This is It GOLD

20 Nov 2002, 09:50 #2

I'm thinking Joel you brought this up in response to Birky's post:
http://sc.communities.msn.../pby/img/mb/reply_bg.gif noWrap align=middle>
Marie, I'm a newbie, but already thinking there may be an alternative. No such Luck. But since you mentioned red wine..... since I am in withdrawal..4days and 11hrs... did you ever lose your taste for wine. It tastes horrible to me right now. Is this also part of the picture or am I afraid of associating alcohol with nicotine?
Well, you know what, I think I'm just going to have to agree with you Joel - - ha - little change there !!!Image

So, Birky... to expand on Joel's words....... Red Wine tastes "more accurate" - In my own expereince, good red wine tastes very much better, bad red wine tastes, well, like bad red wine. I'm using my "money saved from Nicotine" to buy "better red wine" - the glass is also very very important (but now I'm risking the dreaded "diversions" thread Image

Please also read carefully the "Alcohol and quitting " threads..... these are triggers you'll need to conquer - but once conquered, alcohol need never be a risk to your quit. ((I think I might be walking proof of this...... Image)).... but, but BUT - I know for a fact there are several EX members of Freedom who were NOT well enough prepared to tackle the alcohol triggers....

richard
Last edited by richard This is It GOLD on 19 Oct 2009, 00:19, edited 2 times in total.

Joel

20 Nov 2002, 10:04 #3

Good call Richard. I did in fact write this in response to that post. I actually thought that I had written something to this effect before but couldn't find it so just typed out a new post on the topic. It is a concept I talk about in all of my clinics when doing my weight control evening. I also brought up the alcohol thread as a general warning of the problems that can go along if alcohol consumption is ever increased after smoking cessation.

Jordan(Silver)

18 Dec 2002, 01:48 #4

Hi Joel,

Since I saw this thread brought back up, I was thinking about
how my tastes have changed since I quit smoking. I had been drinking a certain diet soda with lemon flavoring added for almost of of the year. I had a 16 oz bottle of it almost everyday. I liked it. Tasted fine to me.

Well after I was quit for awhile, those sodas started tasteing kinda "yucky". The lemon flavor in the soda tasted artificial and gross. I stopped drinking that brand and switched to another diet soda that I thought tasted better. My non- smoking daughter told me that my old soda brand had always tasted bad to her, and that she had often wondered why I drank it! LOL.

The other thing I've noticed is that I am not salting my food as heavily as I used to. A little salt tastes "saltier" to me.

My smoking had covered up and made me insensitive to a lot of tastes and smells. Now I think that I more truly "taste" and that I more truly "smell". And that's a good thing!

Sincerely,
Gena(bronze)

hoop0826(gold)

18 Dec 2002, 14:37 #5

I just wanted to say that I went to do laundry today, and I noticed that none of my shirts really smelled "bad " I mean, the bad that they used to always smell and signal a time for the wash. I old cigarette smoke residue bad that smelled so horrible at first, then after a while have come to accept. It is so nice to not have to deal with that anymore!

BirkyGOLD

18 Dec 2002, 22:16 #6

Good Morning After reading through this thread, I'm here to tell you that wine is tasting better now, but maybe too good..where is the thread on increased alcohol consumption? As far as things smelling clearer or more accurate, you are so very right! In the past, as a young teenager, I hated smoke smell, and with a smoking mother in the house, everything smelled. I always kept my room door closed and literally, once a month would scrub my walls. Diesel was another bad smell, to the point of nauseousness. That bad smell is back stronger than ever. I cannot even drive near a truck without gagging. I believe I started smoking to be cool, but maybe also I noticed bad smells were minimized. Any comments to help get through these "bad smells". Birky 1month +

Joel

18 Dec 2002, 22:29 #7

Birky, make sure to read the last post I put up in that string: Crutches to Quit Smoking
Last edited by Joel on 19 Oct 2009, 00:20, edited 2 times in total.

Joel

14 Jan 2003, 00:40 #8

In honor of today's parade I thought I would bring this one up. While I cannot guarantee that if a person relapses he or she will get cancer, heart disease, a stroke, a variety of lung diseases, more frequent infections, or a host of other problems caused by smoking, I can guarantee that if a person relapses he or she is going to smell like a smoker again. To avoid ever smelling like a smoker always remember now to never take another puff!

Joel

Sambam

14 Jan 2003, 02:00 #9

I have to agree. The second week into my quit everything tasted absoutely awful, even my favourite beer (thats far too harsh!Image). But have to fully agree with what you have said. On day 5 I left the house and felt almost sick from the fumes of the traffic, I really did not realise how powerful sense of smell can be. I am now glad that my taste buds have settled and can appreciate things a great deal more than I previously could.

Sam

3w 5d 5 h. Saved: £118, cant be bad!

madisonsmom(DBLGREEN)

20 Mar 2003, 04:02 #10

Yep - my husband sitll smokes and came inside last night after smoking his after dinner cig. YUCK! He really reeked and you just don't realize it until you quit. You know you stink, but you just don't know how bad it is!