Is it true that everything smells and tastes better when you quit smoking?

Joel

26 Oct 2007, 20:51 #31

While not all things will smell better, one thing you should know for sure is that you are going to smell a whole lot better to the rest of the non-smoking world as long as you always remember to never take another puff!

Also, from above:

[font=ARIAL, GEORGIA, 'TIMES NEW ROMAN', TIMES, SERIF]The question was posed of whether or not an individual will ever get to the point that he or she will will not like the smell of cigarette smoke. There is real variation in this effect with ex-smokers. 

Most will get to the point that they really don't like the smell of cigarette smoke. Some get there in a matter of days after quitting. 

There are some people who seem to like the smell for the rest of their lives. They truly are the minority though. 

There is one other interesting group. People who quit and still like the smell of smoke for quite a long time period--sometimes for years in fact. Then one day out of the blue, the person gets a direct whiff of smoke and it almost makes the person sick. The individual often goes on to despising the smell of smoke for the rest of his or her life. 

I don't know what causes the sudden shift in senses, but I have seen this phenomena happen to quite a few people over the years. 

Whether an individual likes the smell of smoke or not, he or she should know that by quitting that the vast majority of people that he or she encounters will like his or her smell more as long as he or she continues to stick to his or her personal commitment to never take another puff. 

Joel[/font]
Last edited by Joel on 02 Dec 2013, 22:34, edited 1 time in total.

JoeJFree Gold

23 Aug 2008, 01:51 #32

ImageRecovering and regaining our senses - one day at a time by choosing to not take another puff.
Last edited by JoeJFree Gold on 19 Oct 2009, 00:38, edited 1 time in total.

JoeJFree Gold

12 Sep 2008, 10:24 #33

Everything smells & tastes the same after we quit. It is we who perceive things differently, .......really.....truly....when we give ourselves the chance to experience what was there under our noses all the time. (sorry couldn't resistImage). Hidden under a cloud of stinky smoke.
It is the recovery of our senses (pun intended) that gives us the full realization of what we have been unable to detect while we laid coating after coating of tobacco slime over our nasal passages and the mucous membranes in our mouths. The natural world holds many wonders for all who choose to live nicotine free, naturally, by not taking another puff....only for the rest of today.
I wish I could explain how good this journey gets. It's beyond imagining in the beginning but so worth the ride. Find out for yourself. You won't be disappointed, I guarantee. NTAP.

Joe J free
44 months 1 day
Last edited by JoeJFree Gold on 02 Sep 2010, 11:49, edited 3 times in total.

elizabethkk715

02 Sep 2010, 13:23 #34

I find the world around me does not always smell the best! Smoking seemed to have masked those smells. Sometimes I'll smell something and won't even know what it is! A lot of things taste better, some others taste different. It's amazing how smoking messes with a persons senses like that.

freekty

22 Feb 2011, 22:58 #35

I have been quit for almost a month and pretty happy about it, except for one thing: the smelling.

Even when I was a smoker I still had a pretty good sense of smell but now it's overwhelming.

Now I dread walking outside in the city because of all the smell from diesel, bad restaurants and whatever else is on my way.
A couple nights ago, I was hanging out in a bar with friends, and I could smell their breath loaded with alcohol (or smoke or both) when they talked to me, and that was almost making me sick... the music was loud so I couldn't step back and still hear them.  I ended up leaving early because of it.

I am not considering going back to smoking, of course... but I really need to find a way to dampen my sense of smell if I want to be able to do as a non smoker everything I did as a smoker...

I don't really care that much about being able to smell the things that smell good, and it certainly doesn't make up for having to smell all the bad smelling things.

I was directed to this thread, and I'm hoping someone can recommend a few tricks to deal with this. I just don't want to smell those things at all!
thank  you.

Joel Spitzer

23 Feb 2011, 17:05 #37

We have a sense of smell for a reason. At times bad smells are a signal of environments or conditions that it may be better to avoid when possible. Although there are times when it may be hard or impossible to avoid those environments or situations. In those times, people do often get used to being around bad smells. City sanitation workers, plumbers, sewer workers, forensic experts, nurses and CNAs,  are just some examples of people who acclimate to working in environments that would sicken most people unaccustomed to dealing with such smells. It is likely that in the first few days or weeks that these people worked in their fields the smells were overwhelming but eventually, they got used to them. 

Your sense of smells may very well be more acute and it may be that you will have to build up some tolerance to your new senses. What cigarettes did was to diminish your sense of smell and now your ability to smell ALL things accurately is returning to a more normal level. Again, you may get signals now to situations that you should try to avoid or at least to minimize your exposure. If it is a situation though that you do not want to avoid or cannot, with time you will probably be able to build up a tolerance to dealing with the smells. 

I am going to attach a brief commentary here that I use when people write saying that they realized that they smoke in order to self-medicate themselves for a specific problem that they had. In a way what you are saying is that you realized that cigarettes were making it possible to deal with bad smells. That can be seen as a kind of self medication issue, making the following commentary relevant:

[font=ARIAL, HELVETICA, 'SANS SERIF']There are likely some people who smoke in order to self-medicate themselves for certain conditions that they have. What these people need to understand though is the problem with the "medication" (their cigarettes) that they have chosen to use to treat a condition. The medication (cigarettes) they are using has certain undesirable side effects.[/font]

[font=ARIAL, HELVETICA, 'SANS SERIF']Think of it this way. Lets say that you have a medical or emotional condition that causes you some level of discomfort. Nothing life threatening, just a problem that is causing some minor disruption in your day to day function. You go to your pharmacy and look through the over the counter remedies and find one that says it "may" be able to treat your exact condition. You buy it.[/font]

[font=ARIAL, HELVETICA, 'SANS SERIF']When you get home you start to read the dosing instructions and contraindications of usage. The medication has the following standard warning:[/font]

[font=ARIAL, HELVETICA, 'SANS SERIF']Medication is habit forming. Medication leads to addiction to most people who use it. Medication known to be one of the most addictive drugs known to man. Medication contains the following ingredients, followed by a list of four thousand chemicals, some with familiar names like arsenic, hydrogen cyanide, carbon monoxide and many many others. Medication known to cause cancer in rodents. Medication known to cause cancer in humans. Medication known to cause heart disease, strokes, peripheral vascular diseases. Medication known to destroy lung tissue. Medication known to cause chronic obstructive pulmonary diseases like emphysema and chronic bronchitis. Medication is known to be the most recognized cause of premature death in the United States. Medication known to cripple millions of people worldwide every year. Medication known to kill over 4.9 million people worldwide every year. Medication known to kill one out of every two people who use it.[/font]

[font=ARIAL, HELVETICA, 'SANS SERIF']On top of this you calculate the cost of using this medication over your lifetime, which is how it is going to be used if you start it now, and you realize it is going to cost you tens of thousands of dollars over your lifetime. No insurance company will ever cover its costs and in fact, most likely all of your insurance companies are going to charge you higher premiums for your lifetime because you use the medication.[/font]

[font=ARIAL, HELVETICA, 'SANS SERIF']Considering all of the above consequences--do you take the medication? One more thing--there are other medications on the market that actually can treat your condition, that have no known life threatening health effects.* [/font]

[font=ARIAL, HELVETICA, 'SANS SERIF']I think any rational person would try to get a refund for the purchased medication. There is probably only one group of people who would take the medication considering the above implications. It is the ones who had been taking it for years already, who may have started before they knew or fully understood all of the problems the drug would cause. Now they may believe the warnings but they like most others who used it are caught in the active grip of the addiction of the drug. They believe that they have lost choice in the matter. They are users and they believe they are stuck that way for the rest of their life.[/font]

[font=ARIAL, HELVETICA, 'SANS SERIF']Hopefully, somewhere in fine print on the box will be an instruction that says, medication is addictive and deadly, but can be stopped if a person simply makes and sticks to a personal commitment to never take another dose.[/font]

[font=ARIAL, HELVETICA, 'SANS SERIF']Joel[/font]

[font=ARIAL, HELVETICA, 'SANS SERIF']*[font=ARIAL, HELVETICA, 'SANS SERIF']Okay, the section in red here doesn't easily apply. It is unlikely that a pharmaceutical company is going to sell a product designed to destroy one of your actual senses. It is more feasible that there are products such as face masks, nose plugs or ventilation kind of filters that could block smells when absolutely necessary. Again, these products may have drawbacks but those drawbacks aren't going to include risks of crippling then killing you.[/font][/font]