Is it true that everything smells and tastes better when you quit smoking?

JoeJFree Gold

20 Mar 2006, 07:13 #21

Everything smells the same after we quit. It is the recovery of our senses (pun intended) that gives us the full realization of what we have been unable to detect while we laid coating after coating of tobacco slime over our nasal passages and mouths. The natural world holds many wonders for all who choose to live nicotine free, naturally, by never taking a puff.

JoeJFree - from tobacco & nicotine for One Year, Two Months, Nine Days, 7 Hours and 55 Minutes, (433 days)
Not consumed 10833, and saved $2,189.16.
Reclaimed 37 days, 14 hours and 46 minutes to use as I Choose!Image
NTAP!

smilinheart

19 Apr 2006, 01:16 #22

Everything does smell and taste better. Every scent I smell, every nibble I taste -- the flavors from smell and taste are intensified.

I even smell things before 'non smokers'...and I can identify the scent I'm smelling. Maybe they are so used to scents that they don't really smell them (kind of like stopping to smell the flowers). I can even be upstairs when my significant other is in the kitchen and I can smell him chopping cilantro or cutting onions/garlic. I can smell coffee from afar when it first begins to perk.

It is kind of comical, there aren't many things that I pick up into my hands that I don't put to my nose to smell---

Ahhhh...how wonderful to walk through life and have the ability to smell all the wonderful scents before us.

Joel

15 Jun 2006, 19:18 #23

The question was posed of whether or not an individual will ever get to the point that he or she will will not like the smell of cigarette smoke. There is real variation in this effect with ex-smokers.

Most will get to the point that they really don't like the smell of cigarette smoke. Some get there in a matter of days after quitting.

There are some people who seem to like the smell for the rest of their lives. They truly are the minority though.

There is one other interesting group. People who quit and still like the smell of smoke for quite a long time period--sometimes for years in fact. Then one day out of the blue, the person gets a direct whiff of smoke and it almost makes the person sick. The individual often goes on to despising the smell of smoke for the rest of his or her life.

I don't know what causes the sudden shift in senses, but I have seen this phenomena happen to quite a few people over the years.

Whether an individual likes the smell of smoke or not, he or she should know that by quitting that the vast majority of people that he or she encounters will like his or her smell more as long as he or she continues to stick to his or her personal commitment to never take another puff.

Joel

Mitzi499

15 Jun 2006, 20:32 #24

It also helps to know that the tobacco industry add certain things to cigarettes to make them smell good. For a while I thought there must be something wrong in my head that I still appreciated the smell of a newly lit cigarette. Perhaps I always will. I have, after all, known a few never smokers who tell me they enjoy that smell also.

But I don't think there is anyone, smoker, ex smoker or never smoker who can honestly say they like the smell of an overflowing ashtray or the smell of stale smoke on clothing, in the car, in the house etc.

As long as we never take another puff, enjoying that smell occasionally will do little harm. Hopefully it is becoming an increasingly rare experience in any case as the world becomes increasingly tobacco free.

Maria - 57 days after 38 years

Joel

15 Jun 2006, 20:34 #25

Earlier today I popped up the thread Cigarette Smoke Smell Good? It's not by accident.  addressing this issue.
Last edited by Joel on 22 Feb 2015, 03:50, edited 2 times in total.

TJKee

23 Sep 2006, 01:37 #26

Oddly enough, I've been noticing how yucky certain things taste now. :o)
And certain flavors that seemed dull before are much more powerful. I've also realized that certain things are just bland!
The smell of smoke is noticeable on people to me now ... not quite repulsive, just ticks of a switch in my head that says "there's a smoker." Walking through a group of people smoking is ... odd. The smell isn't good, it's metallic and chemical ... it makes me wonder why I liked sucking it into my lungs so much. Perhaps I'll get to a point where it repulses me ... I hope not too soon, because I live with smokers and can't afford to get a new place yet! Image

Still, I am glad to be smoke free. It's been 15 days. Tasting and smelling things like I haven't in 10 years!

Sal GOLD.ffn

23 Sep 2006, 04:14 #27

TJKee,
You wrote: it makes me wonder why I liked sucking it into my lungs so much.
Exactly what I used to ask myself. It's what my daughter used to ask me on a regular basis.
The answer is simple: We liked it so much because it delivered the drug nicotine that we became physically addicted to.
Cigarettes, patches, dip, chew..they are all nicotine delivery devices.
Congratulations on choosing freedom.
No nicotine today, one day at a time.
ImageSal
Free and healing and smelling it allImage for three years, eight months, one week, three days
Last edited by Sal GOLD.ffn on 19 Oct 2009, 00:33, edited 1 time in total.

JoeJFree Gold

09 Jan 2007, 23:40 #28

Everything smells & tastes the same after we quit. It is the recovery of our senses (pun intended) that gives us the full realization of what we have been unable to detect while we laid coating after coating of tobacco slime over our nasal passages and mouths. The natural world holds many wonders for all who choose to live nicotine free, naturally, by never taking a puff.
Some related older posts:
Reasons to Quit - Sweet Smell of Success! & Quit - Even for the smell alone!!!!
My New Life ... Smells vs. Smells & Stinky Moments for Ex-smokers & My New Nose...
Stats Parade New Smells Parade!!! & What's your favorite smell parade?
There are so many more sensory related posts. Why? Could it be aht ridding your body of poison gives your entire system the chance to work normally? Why is that surprising? Because we ahve 'forgotten the face of our fathers'. Forgotten waht it is like to REALLY LIVE (or is that live really)! The human body has a wonderful ability to repair. Our body is quite amazing when left to its own devices.
JoeJFree - from tobacco & nicotine for One Year, Eleven Months, Thirty Days, 0 Hours and 0 Minutes, (729 days)
Reclaimed63 days, 6 hours and 46 minutes to use as I Choose!Image
NTAP!
Last edited by JoeJFree Gold on 24 Oct 2009, 00:19, edited 2 times in total.

JoeJFree Gold

01 May 2007, 10:15 #29

Everything smells & tastes the same after we quit. It is the recovery of our senses (pun intended) that gives us the full realization of what we have been unable to detect while we laid coating after coating of tobacco slime over our nasal passages and mouths. The natural world holds many wonders for all who choose to live nicotine free, naturally, by never taking a puff.
Image It's not that things smell better or worse than they ever have, it is our sense of smell returning to normal that allows us to notice what has always been there - both niceImage and not so nice.
Last edited by JoeJFree Gold on 19 Oct 2009, 00:35, edited 1 time in total.

chizzum

03 Aug 2007, 00:22 #30

I have recently found that I can't bear the smell and taste of certain things. I quit 17 months ago and am now on the verge of becoming a vegetarian as I really cannot stand the smell of meat. Nor do I like the smell of anything metallic. It's very weird, but so totally worth it because I'm now free of the evil weed.