Is cold turkey the only way to quit?

Joel

06 Dec 2007, 22:28 #21

I saw where a member wrote that he or she knew of a person who had successfully quit smoking for seven months by using Chantix. I am going to point out a couple of things here regarding this comment. First, we do not know how long the person used Chantix--meaning, did the person use it for a short time period and quit the Chantix early because of serious side effects--a situation that actually happens a lot, or, did the person have minimal or no side effects and in fact, end up using Chantix for two full rounds of treatment--meaning they may only be off it for one month now--clearly not proving one way or another that the person does in fact have staying power with his or her quit. Even in the best case scenario, that the person used Chantix for the recommended three month period--he or she is only four month post treatment now and we don't know that he or she is going to be able to sustain his or her quit. We really believe that the fair measurement of success in a person who has used a pharmacological intervention is has the person been able to maintain his or her quit for a year after treatment. There is no way in knowing this for a person who is off for just seven months no matter how you are measuring the drug effect on intervention. You can bet though with the numbers of people using Chantix that there are going to be success among them. If Pfizer's statistics are accurate, some three million people are using it. There are likely going to be thousands of people who are going to succeed when you have millions of people using any approach. The issues that need to be considered is how many of these people could have succeeded if they tried without the drug and more significant with this particular drug, how many of these people encountered side effects that made them suffer more than they needed to and may have actually resulted in serious risks. I hope anyone wanting to understand our views on these issues will spend the time and watch the following video:
Title Dial Up High speed Audio Length Added
WhyQuit's candid views about Chantix (and Champix) 17.8mb 53.3mb 7.11mb 48:16 10/19/07
Again, there will be people who do quit smoking by using this drug, or other drugs. As it says in the original post here:

There are a few people though whom you may encounter over your lifetime that did quit using NRT's as intended, weaning down for week after week and eventually quitting. If the person is now off for years, he or she is pretty much in the same state as a person who had quit cold turkey. He or she is nicotine free, and he or she should be thrilled by that fact. In some ways I look at people like this with a bit of awe, for they in all likelihood stuck with a process that was pretty much a gradual and prolonged withdrawal and yet they succeeded. Again, debating the merits of their method with them is pretty much a moot point. It worked for them and you are going to have a pretty hard time convincing them that it is an ineffective method. But you do have a message that you can share with them that they do need to know. That message is that even though they are off nicotine for years, they still need to recognize that they are not cured of nicotine addiction and never will be. No matter how they had stopped, they must still understand the bottom line message, that the only way to stay free now is staying totally committed to never administer nicotine again via any nicotine replacement source and to never administer nicotine again from the original source that likely started the whole process by knowing to never take another puff!

Joel

07 Jan 2008, 22:24 #22

There are a few people though whom you may encounter over your lifetime that did quit using NRT's as intended, weaning down for week after week and eventually quitting. If the person is now off for years, he or she is pretty much in the same state as a person who had quit cold turkey. He or she is nicotine free, and he or she should be thrilled by that fact. In some ways I look at people like this with a bit of awe, for they in all likelihood stuck with a process that was pretty much a gradual and prolonged withdrawal and yet they succeeded. Again, debating the merits of their method with them is pretty much a moot point. It worked for them and you are going to have a pretty hard time convincing them that it is an ineffective method. But you do have a message that you can share with them that they do need to know. That message is that even though they are off nicotine for years, they still need to recognize that they are not cured of nicotine addiction and never will be. No matter how they had stopped, they must still understand the bottom line message, that the only way to stay free now is staying totally committed to never administer nicotine again via any nicotine replacement source and to never administer nicotine again from the original source that likely started the whole process by knowing to never take another puff!

Ilona

26 May 2008, 01:45 #23

Thank you Joel for this.

You make another important point in this Chantix debate, which is that the long-term success for any quit still requires the basic intelligent reinforcement that nurtures us here at WhyQuit. Fundamental to this reinforcement is an understanding of the law of addiction and NTAP...

Ilona
(70 days)

Joel

26 May 2008, 02:36 #24

Actually, over my first thirty years in the field my standard response for people who used to call me and ask me about other quitting methods was if they thought there was something better out there they should try it first. The string How does your program compare to... discusses this.

The introduction of Chantix was the first time I changed this stance. From its early introduction and the first encounters I had with people using the drug it was clear that there were problems that it was causing beyond the normal issues that people experienced when quitting smoking or using quitting aids. I never wanted the feeling that something I said encouraged any individual to try it and then have them go on to experiencing a serious side effect.

Related videos:

My Personal Views On Chantix
WhyQuit's candid views about Chantix
Resources regarding stop smoking aids
Last edited by Joel on 25 Jul 2015, 11:13, edited 2 times in total.