Improved lung function versus regeneration of destroyed lung tissue.

Improved lung function versus regeneration of destroyed lung tissue.

Jennie

02 Jun 2013, 16:14 #1

My understanding is that quitting greatly improves lung function, but air sacks which have been destroyed will not regenerate ever. Is that correct? Does it take a while for air sacs to be destroyed or is it an ongoing process with every cigarette smoked?

I am seeing that a lot of younger smokers are under the impression that if they don't smoke too long, their lungs will completely return to a non-smoking state.  Showing people the benefits of quitting is great, but the pendulum may now have swung so far in that direction that the permanent, ongoing damage and risks are ignored.

A few months ago, there was some study saying that those who quit before age 35 eliminated most of the risk of smoking related death. A young smoker would probably hear "I can smoke until I'm 35 without consequences."  Although I was 54 when I read about that, I still tried to find some wiggle room by rationalizing that because I had quit at age 21 and didn't start again until I was 37, that I was still okay.

I just wanted some clarification on what can improve and what can't, and just make a general observation about an addict's capacity for rationalization. In terms of educating people, it is probably hard to walk that fine line between "I still have time before I have to quit" and "What's the point in quitting now."

Joel Spitzer

02 Jun 2013, 17:10 #2

Feel what it is like to breath with emphysema:

Joel Spitzer

02 Jun 2013, 19:15 #3

As to the second issue raised here, "[font=ARIAL, GEORGIA, 'TIMES NEW ROMAN', TIMES, SERIF]A young smoker would probably hear "I can smoke until I'm 35 without consequences." [/font]

from the string Joel's Library - Frightening Trends in Teenage Smoking

• 82% of adults who ever smoked had their first cigarette by their 18th birthday.  More than half became regular smokers by that time.
  • Although only 5% of daily smokers surveyed in high school said they would definitely be smoking five years later, close to 75% were smoking 7 to 9 years later.
  • Each day, nearly 3000 American youngsters become regular smokers.  Of these, 1,000 will die from early tobacco-related diseases.
  • Of 1,000 20-year-olds who continue to smoke, 6 will die prematurely from homicide, 12 from car accidents, and 500 from smoking.
Video related to this issue:

"Kids just don't get it"

Jennie

03 Jun 2013, 03:47 #4

Thank you for the info Joel. The statistics about teens are disturbing, but not surprising. 

Joel Spitzer

03 Jun 2013, 12:07 #5

Did the video answer your lung destruction and repair questions?

Jennie

05 Jun 2013, 17:47 #6

Joel Spitzer wrote:
Did the video answer your lung destruction and repair questions?
Yes it did. Thanks. I thought I had heard you talk about it before but I wouldn't have thought to find it in that video.