If this is your first time quitting

If this is your first time quitting

Joel

30 Dec 2001, 00:31 #1

You can quit your first time. You will hear lots of material to the contrary; that you have to quit over and over until it finally takes. It is a common misconception being perpetuated by many sites and even professional clinics and organizations basically explaining why people quitting using such programs or approaches don't often seem to succeed.

The idea that you "can't" quit the first time is absolutely wrong. The only reason it takes most people multiple attempts to quit is that they don't understand the addiction to nicotine. How could they, no one really teaches it. People had to learn by screwing up one attempt after another until it finally dawns on them how each time they lost it, it happened by taking a puff. If you understand this concept from the get go, you don't have to go through chronic quitting and smoking.

So learn from other people's mistakes, not your own. Going through a quit once is bad enough, going through it over and over again is horrible and should be avoided at all costs. The way to avoid it is to always remember to never take another puff!

Joel

Last edited by Joel on 27 Jul 2017, 01:49, edited 4 times in total.

Joel

30 Dec 2001, 00:35 #2

What prompted this letter is that we actually have numerous members here who say this attempt was the first real attempt they ever made to quit. Marty and Linda have both said it recently, both having over one year quits now, and I just saw Melissa state that this is her first quit and she is "Silver" now too. I suspect there are others. These people are living proof that the first quit can be the last quit too. The fact is they will all probably be living longer to prove it longer, that this quit is the quit that lasts and will stay that way as long as they always remember to never take another puff!

Joel

P.S. Are any other of our members first time quitters? Let us know.

Edited 06-14-2012 to add in related video.
Last edited by Joel on 15 Jun 2012, 00:44, edited 1 time in total.

GrumpyOMrsS (Gold)

30 Dec 2001, 02:28 #3

To new members or those contemplating quitting, please know that this can be done the first time and done without using any nicotine aids, which 9 times out of ten, ends in failure. It must also be noted that everyone's quit is different. Some find quitting very difficult...others a breeze and a joy from the very get-go. It is also important to know that not far down the road, this journey becomes wonderful for everyone, no matter how it began. You just have to remember to meet greet and defeat those triggers and that each day gets easier as you do. For me, this time was the first time I set out to do this and win. The other attempts...were just that....just going through the motions and not really trying.
This time, a clear and concise lesson in nicotine addiction was at my fingertips. Thank you Joel! My husband and I quit at the same time. (careful with this one, folks). We learned that we were addicts and why quits are lost with just one puff. We also realized that quitting could be, and was enjoyable once we learned why it was we smoked to begin with. Going through this quit with others who were learning with me also was a tremendous boon. We were not alone. This time, we also learned there was a huge distinction between the words "trying" to quit and "determined" to quit. One leaves the door open for possible failure and the other tells us that no matter what, "we're going to be successful"
Lessons learned...... quit for yourself, realize nicotine for the deadly addiction that it is, know that to remain nicotine free and continue the road to recovery, we can never take another puff. How wonderful it is....this thing called "freedom". It's yours if you really want it.
Linda...After smoking for 41 years...I have been smoke-free for one year, eleven months, three weeks, five days,1 hour, 8 minutes and 6 seconds. 14,520 cigarettes not smoked, saving $2,904.19. Life saved: 7 weeks, 1 day, 10 hours.
Last edited by GrumpyOMrsS (Gold) on 01 Sep 2009, 01:40, edited 2 times in total.

reiterin

31 Dec 2001, 03:11 #4

For a long time I didn't quit because I didn't think I could. All I heard were failure stories, and how nobody is ever successful the first time. I heard it from friends, family, co-workers - this skepticism instead of support. Hearing this actually prevented me from even trying to quit for a long time.

I'm glad Freedom is here to show people that its very possible to quit for the first time, and stay quit, as I plan to. I understand from other addictions the nature of addiction; I understand from Freedom how addictive nicotine really is. Thus I know I'll be successful in my quit - forever - as long as I never use nicotine again, just for today.

One day at a time, I am nicotine free.

~ reiterin
4M 3D 14h 31m 19s, 1758 not smoked, saving $395.79, LS: 6D 2h 30m

Joel

02 Jan 2002, 22:49 #5

Just in case anyone heard the Today Show today saying first time quitters won't succeed I thought it might be good to bring this one up again. I do agree, the vast majority of first time quitters who had the broadcast on won't succeed, but a few who may have had the volume off may just pull it off.
Joel
See the post I added today in the string: Be prepared to hear some confusing information for background on this.
Last edited by Joel on 03 Aug 2009, 00:33, edited 1 time in total.

Toast (GOLD )

03 Jan 2002, 03:27 #6

Well, I'm here to say:
First Time Quitters Can Do It!
This is my first - and last - quit.
A real desire to quit and some will power
combined with a good education about nicotine addiction
can make the difference!
You can do it too!
Image Melissa
After 20 years ...
7 Months 1 Week 3 Days 15 Hours 24 Minutes 2 Seconds Free
4492 Less
$651.46 More
1 Mo 4 Hrs 48 Mins 20 Secs Added
Last edited by Toast (GOLD ) on 03 Aug 2009, 00:37, edited 1 time in total.

Joel

26 Mar 2002, 01:11 #7

We seem to be getting a few younger people quitting here. There is a pretty good chance that younger members may not have years of quitting and failing under their belt. Good for them! I am hoping that they can avoid the same pitfalls that many of our members have had of quitting on and off, over and over again for many years and maybe even many decades. This quit can be the last quit--even if it is the first as long as each and every member, whether a two month smoker or a fifty year smoker now understands that to stay smoke free now is as simple as knowing to never take another puff!

Joel

Joel

24 Apr 2002, 19:31 #8

The questioned was just posed to a new member as to whether this was her first time quitting. I am not sure of the answer to that specific question but this post addresses the issue that people can quit on their first attempt if they just learn from other people's mistakes as opposed to ever having to learn from their own. The lesson needed to be understood by all, whether this is their first time or the hundredth time is that to stay smoke free is no more complicated than just knowing to never take another puff!

Joel

marty (gold)

24 Apr 2002, 20:22 #9

AND I'M ANOTHER FIRST-TIMER Image
Last edited by marty (gold) on 03 Aug 2009, 00:40, edited 1 time in total.

Rickgoldx5

09 May 2002, 05:26 #10

ImageI'm a first time quitter and this is how I feel today. I know by all these posts This feeling of spaced out will pass and I hope to be still a non-smoker at the end.
Yes, I'm going through the withdrawl.
Yes, I hate this feeling of "missing" something.
Yes I'm on my 4th day.
Yes, I have my triggers.
And YES, I'm going to say NO to that first puff......Today!!
Please keep posting and just maybe I'll be able to say I m FREE.
Last edited by Rickgoldx5 on 03 Aug 2009, 00:41, edited 1 time in total.