If this is your first time quitting

SallyGL

18 Mar 2006, 19:36 #41

I came across a statement that puzzled me in the little booklet produced by the Welsh Assembly and given out to would be quitters. At the end of a paragraph about NRT it says ''So it is much safer than tobacco and much less addictive'' Isn't nicotine just as addictive however it's administered? And to make matters worse when I took the short test under the heading '' Do I need NRT or Zyban'' the result indicated that I was very addicted and should try one of these 'medications' (my quotes). So according to this not only was I stopping smoking by a method nearly garanteed to fail, I was told that when I did fail not to feel guilty about it, just to try again and again.

I'm so glad I found this website.

I used to say to my children ''If at first you don't succeed, try, try and try again'' in the case of quitting smoking perhaps it should be ''If at first you don't succeed, die, die and die again''.

Sally
- Free and Healing for Eleven Days, 17 Hours and 31 Minutes after 40+ years of smoking.

SallyGL

18 Mar 2006, 19:53 #42

I've just realised that I might have implied in my last post that Zyban isn't a medication, which of course it is and I gather used successfully by some of my fellow Freedom quitters. Sorry if I upset anyone.

Sally

Joel

18 Mar 2006, 21:33 #43

Reading at other quit smoking sites
Last edited by Joel on 01 Sep 2009, 02:26, edited 1 time in total.

Joel

18 Mar 2006, 21:44 #44

Another string addressing Sally's concerns above: A Quitter's Dilemma: Hooked on the Cure
Last edited by Joel on 01 Sep 2009, 02:28, edited 1 time in total.

thinkwild

26 May 2006, 15:21 #45

"I must say: the urge for a smoke is pitifully feeble compared with the force of my new knowledge."
Erica
Last edited by thinkwild on 01 Sep 2009, 02:31, edited 1 time in total.

Joel

15 Sep 2006, 10:31 #46

From John:

School of Hard-Quitting-Knocks vs. One Simple Lesson

I located the below quitting attempt quotes at various Internet sites during the last few minutes. What all of these sites have in common is that they all wrongly suggest that a quitter cannot quit during their very first attempt and not one of them tell readers the magic secret that is eventually learned through the school of hard-quitting-knocks that if known and applied would 100% guarantee success the first time!

* "It is common for smokers to make more than one quit attempt before succeeding for good"
* "most smokers who try to quit make at least three attempts before succeeding"
* "It generally takes three to four attempts at quitting before a smoker is successful long-term"
* "Most tobacco users attempt to quit three to five times before succeeding"
* "On average, ex-smokers try 4 times to quit before they actually quit for good"
* "most long term abstainers fail 4 to 5 times before succeeding"
* "Most smokers try to quit at least 4-6 times before succeeding"
* "Most smokers make 4-11 quit attempts before finally succeeding"
* "On average, smokers attempt to quit five times before succeeding"
* "it takes an average of 5-6 attempts before finally succeeding"
* "Most smokers/chewers attempt to quit 5-7 times before quitting for good"
* "Research has shown that the average smoker makes six attempts to quit before succeeding"
* "the average tobacco user makes 7 attempts to quit before succeeding"
* "The average number of tries before succeeding is 7 to 8"
* "They say it takes an average of 8 attempts before one quits smoking"
* "On average, former smokers made 8-11 quit attempts before succeeding"
* "the average smoker tries to quit 9 times before succeeding"
* "The average American attempts to quit 10 to 15 times before succeeding"
* "On average, former smokers made 11 quit attempts before succeeding"
* "Most patients require several attempts before succeeding in quitting permanently"

I find it utterly amazing that so many cessation authorities would want to give quitters relapse expecations without telling them the secret to avoiding relapse. It's called obedience to the The Law of Addiction and around here it is presented in simplified form -- just four little words -- Never Take Another Puff!

Not discovering or being taught the law of addiction in time to save your life is a horrible horrible reason to die. If we only have time to share one quick piece of info with smokers within our sphere of influence then this is it -- just one hour, challenge and day at a time, Never Take Another Puff!

John (Gold x6)

JoeJFree Gold

23 Oct 2006, 09:52 #47

Last edited by JoeJFree Gold on 01 Sep 2009, 02:34, edited 1 time in total.

JoeJFree Gold

01 Mar 2007, 11:44 #48

So learn from other people's mistakes*, not your own. Going through a quit once is bad enough, going through it over and over again is horrible and should be avoided at all costs. The way to avoid it is to always remember to never take another puff!.

Joel

*The one puff files
Last edited by JoeJFree Gold on 01 Sep 2009, 02:37, edited 1 time in total.

Joel

14 Sep 2008, 22:11 #49

I saw a post yesterday referring to the concept that many of our members and readers have had past quits and thus past relapses.

Joel Spitzer

10 Sep 2012, 12:43 #50