If this is your first time quitting

Joanne Gold

21 Jan 2004, 14:39 #31

Image For new readers just looking in who for the first time in their lives are seriosuly considering quitting .
Last edited by Joanne Gold on 01 Sep 2009, 02:03, edited 1 time in total.

Joel

28 Aug 2004, 01:52 #32

Last edited by Joel on 01 Sep 2009, 02:12, edited 1 time in total.

GrumpyOMrsS (Gold)

27 Oct 2004, 11:08 #33

You can quit your first time. You will hear lots of material to the contrary; that you have to quit over and over until it finally takes. It is a common misconception being perpetrated by many sites and even professional clinics and organization basically explaining why people quitting using such programs or approaches don't often seem to succeed.

The idea that you "can't" quit the first time is absolutely wrong. The only reason it takes most people multiple attempts to quit is that they don't understand the addiction to nicotine. How could they, no one really teaches it. People had to learn by screwing up one attempt after another until it finally dawns on them how each time they lost it, it happened by taking a puff. If you understand this concept from the get go, you don't have to go through chronic quitting and smoking.

So learn from other people's mistakes, not your own. Going through a quit once is bad enough, going through it over and over again is horrible and should be avoided at all costs. The way to avoid it is to always remember to never take another puff!.

Joel

05 Nov 2004, 22:22 #34

Last edited by Joel on 01 Sep 2009, 02:15, edited 1 time in total.

AllyBC

07 Nov 2004, 01:22 #35

One of my main reasons for being so strong in this quit is that withdrawal was so bad for me this time that I never want to have to do it again! This is only my second quit, but I know it will be my last because I will never take another puff!

Allyson - Free and Healing for Twelve Days, 15 Hours and 20 Minutes, while extending my life expectancy 10 Hours, by avoiding the use of 126 nicotine delivery devices that would have cost me $51.53.

Jamie

14 Nov 2004, 12:36 #36

I am also on my first (and last) quit. I guess the big reason it works for me right now is reminding myself that my urge to smoke is going to go away whether I light up or not and I want to watch my sons and grandchildren grow up far more than I want that cigarette.

GrumpyOMrsS (Gold)

27 Dec 2004, 04:51 #37

You can quit your first time. You will hear lots of material to the contrary; that you have to quit over and over until it finally takes. It is a common misconception being perpetrated by many sites and even professional clinics and organization basically explaining why people quitting using such programs or approaches don't often seem to succeed.

The idea that you "can't" quit the first time is absolutely wrong. The only reason it takes most people multiple attempts to quit is that they don't understand the addiction to nicotine. How could they, no one really teaches it. People had to learn by screwing up one attempt after another until it finally dawns on them how each time they lost it, it happened by taking a puff. If you understand this concept from the get go, you don't have to go through chronic quitting and smoking.

So learn from other people's mistakes, not your own. Going through a quit once is bad enough, going through it over and over again is horrible and should be avoided at all costs. The way to avoid it is to always remember to never take another puff!.

Joel

ElevenPinkFlowers

26 Jul 2005, 23:06 #38

For my lurker:
This is my first and last quit. And I just love it.Image
PinkFlowers
Loving it since 2 March 2005
Last edited by ElevenPinkFlowers on 01 Sep 2009, 02:18, edited 1 time in total.

Joel

13 Nov 2005, 00:44 #39

School of Hard-Quitting-Knocks vs. One Simple Lesson

I located the below quitting attempt quotes at various Internet sites during the last few minutes. What all of these sites have in common is that they all wrongly suggest that a quitter cannot quit during their very first attempt and not one of them tell readers the magic secret that is eventually learned through the school of hard-quitting-knocks that if known and applied would 100% guarantee success the first time!
  • "It is common for smokers to make more than one quit attempt before succeeding for good"
  • "most smokers who try to quit make at least three attempts before succeeding"
  • "It generally takes three to four attempts at quitting before a smoker is successful long-term"
  • "Most tobacco users attempt to quit three to five times before succeeding"
  • "On average, ex-smokers try 4 times to quit before they actually quit for good"
  • "most long term abstainers fail 4 to 5 times before succeeding"
  • "Most smokers try to quit at least 4-6 times before succeeding"
  • "Most smokers make 4-11 quit attempts before finally succeeding"
  • "On average, smokers attempt to quit five times before succeeding"
  • "it takes an average of 5-6 attempts before finally succeeding"
  • "Most smokers/chewers attempt to quit 5-7 times before quitting for good"
  • "Research has shown that the average smoker makes six attempts to quit before succeeding"
  • "the average tobacco user makes 7 attempts to quit before succeeding"
  • "The average number of tries before succeeding is 7 to 8"
  • "They say it takes an average of 8 attempts before one quits smoking"
  • "On average, former smokers made 8-11 quit attempts before succeeding"
  • "the average smoker tries to quit 9 times before succeeding"
  • "The average American attempts to quit 10 to 15 times before succeeding"
  • "On average, former smokers made 11 quit attempts before succeeding"
  • "Most patients require several attempts before succeeding in quitting permanently"
I find it utterly amazing that so many cessation authorities would want to give quitters relapse expecations without telling them the secret to avoiding relapse. It's called obedience to the The Law of Addiction and around here it is presented in simplified form -- just four little words -- Never Take Another Puff!

Not discovering or being taught the law of addiction in time to save your life is a horrible horrible reason to die. If we only have time to share one quick piece of info with smokers within our sphere of influence then this is it -- just one hour, challenge and day at a time, Never Take Another Puff!

John (Gold x6)

anhef

22 Feb 2006, 11:07 #40

You said that "no one really teaches it." but someone does...you do...and so does everyone else here.
It's the knowledge that can be gained here that makes it possible to succeed on the first try.
It's the warnings, and encouragements, and tips that make it possible to get through those first few days, knowing that it will get better, and soon.
This place and everyone here is awesome! Here's a link to remind you just how awesome.

Relapse Prevention

Annie
So glad to have found freedom.
Last edited by anhef on 01 Sep 2009, 02:22, edited 1 time in total.