If this is your first time quitting

Parker GOLD

13 Aug 2002, 01:02 #21

Joel, many times I read the statistics that many people quit smoking 3-5 times before it sticks. Don't remember where these figures came from. Quite frankly, I didn't care. I found that to be the perfect support for 2 failed quits. Proved I was just being normal. My little junkie mind was secretly plotting to try and fail 3 more times before I had to get serious about it! How fortunate that I found Freedom and discovered the "trick". Just never take another puff!

Parker - 2 month, 1 week, 3 days and counting......

Joel

15 Sep 2002, 05:36 #22

I rode by a bus today that had a big sign on it from our State's Tobacco Control Program. Its message was that it takes the average smoker seven attempts to quit smoking. Underneath was some line about how it could take just one to succeed, but with no further clarification or elaboration.
I am not sure what they are thinking the message that it takes an average of seven times to quit is supposed to accomplish. Maybe it is to make a person feel better if he or she had failed six other times in the past. But what if a person has only quit four times, should he or she write off the next couple of attempts before they even start?
I personally think a simpler and much more effective message can be that whether you have quit dozens of times in the past or if this is your first attempt to quit, this quit can be the last one you will ever have to do as long as you know to never take another puff!
Joel
Last edited by Joel on 20 Aug 2009, 00:19, edited 1 time in total.

Rickgoldx5

27 Sep 2002, 22:38 #23

Joel,
This is my first time quitting and your so right you can do it in one shot! I lurked here at freedom for a year before I got up enough guts to quit. Your library and the posts made my mind up for me! As they say this IS do-able and anyone out there that is scared, do what I did, read for the first 3 days, then jump in and enjoy a new life that is the greatest! I think being afraid of quitting kept me from quitting for a year, but it turned out to be a boogeyman and nothing else.

So please join us here at freedom and you'll never regret it!

Rick
Four months, three weeks, two days, 2 hours, 37 minutes and 7 seconds. 11980 cigarettes not smoked, saving $1,791.15. Life saved: 5 weeks, 6 days, 14 hours, 20 minutes.
Last edited by Rickgoldx5 on 20 Aug 2009, 00:23, edited 2 times in total.

Joanne Gold

28 Oct 2002, 11:57 #24

Quitting for the first time has a 100% success rate as long as you never take another puff.Image
Many never make it back after a relapse, and those that do, must endure the challenges associated with recovery.Image Some never get that chance to quit again.Image This would be one lesson better learned from someone else's mistake and not your own.Image
Last edited by Joanne Gold on 20 Aug 2009, 00:29, edited 1 time in total.

John (Gold)

28 Oct 2002, 22:41 #25

Today will always be the most
important day in the rest of our lives!
Nicotine is an addictive drug with zero intelligence!
Motivation, education, understanding and support
are powerful tools for change. As Joanne just said,
there is absolutely no reason why all of us, including you,
can not succeed in arresting our addiction today!
Just one little rule - no nicotine today!
NEVER TAKE ANOTHER PUFF!

r95 (green x2)

09 Dec 2002, 23:56 #26

I hope I am not too late to respond to this thread..

You will be happy to know that I am a first time quitter and till date it has been 52 days nic free for me.

The trick is to remember the rule. N.O.P.E. (Not One Puff Ever) and it is doable..

-r

Day 52 and grateful!

Joel

30 Dec 2002, 08:10 #27

Image Read Angela's post 1 year and 7 months.
Last edited by Joel on 20 Aug 2009, 00:31, edited 1 time in total.

John (Gold)

27 Jul 2003, 04:49 #28

It is sadly amazing just how many websites of governments and Image major health organization are at this moment teaching new quitters not to worry about "cheating" or "slipping" (words that sugar-coat relapse).
They also teach them to expect it to take a specific number of stated quitting attempts before learning how to quit and stay quit. What they neglect to tell them - while implanting relapse expecations in their minds - are the lessons learned by attending the school-of-hard-quitting-knocks so that the quitter can succeed the very first time. What they fail to teach is the true power of that first puff of nicotine!

Just one rule - no nicotine today, Never Take Another Puff!
Last edited by John (Gold) on 01 Sep 2009, 02:00, edited 2 times in total.

CanadaBobGold

06 Aug 2003, 10:36 #29

It really is doable on a person's first attempt. After 37 years and 350,000 cigarettes, I stopped cold on January 1st this year. At the time, the only motivation I had to stay quit was the knowledge that I'd be disappointing a lot of people who were aware of my quit.

Luckily I stumbled on Freedom from Tobacco less than a week into the quit and was able to pick up enough of an education into nicotine addiction to help me stay off smoking.

Later on, the cumulative physical damage caused by all the smoking started coming to the forefront and that was all the extra motivation I needed to never take another puff.

Not everyone will have the "luck" to latch onto the quitting aids that I did, but the bottom line applies to us all. No matter what happens, no matter how tempting, just keep reminding yourself that all the hard work of quitting and staying quit will go "up in smoke" with just one puff. And it really does get easier as time goes on. Hard to imagine at first, and even after seven and a bit months, it's still something that I think about at least a minute or two every day, but the days pass, the satisfaction grows and sooner or later the confirmed addict has transformed into confirmed ex-smoker.

7 months, 4 days, 8 hours
$3069.27 CDN saved
7139 cigarettes not smoked
3 weeks, 3 days, 18 hours of my new life saved
Last edited by CanadaBobGold on 01 Sep 2009, 02:10, edited 1 time in total.

GreenSolveg

05 Jan 2004, 23:25 #30

This is very encouraging for me as it *is* my first time. I know lots of smokers and most of them have tried and failed to stop smoking at least a couple of times. I guess after seeing that one naturally assumes that's the way it has to be.
This site has made an unbelievable difference. I have a whole armory of knowledge now; whenever I want a cig I think:
--No wonder I want it: nicotine releases fat, sugar, endorphins and neurotransmitters into my system. Of course my body wants it. But wouldn't it be nice if my supplies of these chemicals could flow naturally, without nicotine?
--When I see a person drag on a cigarette, about 90% of that smoke stays in their lungs. That's a lot of toxic sludge!
--My mind starts sending signals, *not* when my nic level is low, but before it gets low--it wants to maintain saturation. This is a brainwashed effect and it will go away eventually.

etcetera. I must say: the urge for a smoke is pitifully feeble compared with the force of my new knowledge.
Erica