If this is your first time quitting

Rachel goodasGOLD

12 May 2002, 03:45 #11

Wow, just came accross this. It's funny because this has never been an issue in my mind, until recently. Just hearing others and talking to ex-quiters had me a little nervous (...which is good -keeps me grounded.) BUT, it was also very nice to run across this today. I needed just that little bit of encouragement and truth.
So, add me to the list!! - after 18 years of smoking I am a first time quitter at ....
4 Weeks 1 Day 16 Hours 5 Minutes 5 Seconds.
I will never go back. I will never take another puff. I will NEVER forget how hard it was to get here and how bad day 3 was. If I ever start to forget, I will look at my 'Diary' post to remind me.
There is NO crave that is worth going back to the beginning - today is too easy (in comparison to day 3) to throw it all away. No matter how bad I think it is - it's just one day, one hour, one minute, one second. It's not worth it.
-Rachel
Image ............no thanks
Last edited by Rachel goodasGOLD on 03 Aug 2009, 00:47, edited 1 time in total.

janetd (GOLD)

12 May 2002, 11:37 #12

Joel, I have smoked for twenty-three or twenty-four years. I quit Cold Turkey once for a week when I was in my early to mid-twenties. And then I kept quitting on the patch a couple of years ago but that was a complete joke; I rarely made it past a Friday night and I think the longest I went was 2+ weeks. So I do feel like this is my first time quitting.
When I was using the patch, I would put it on in the morning, and then pull it off so I could smoke when I got home a couple of hours later. Totally nuts!
I am so glad that I finally quit. Thank you for all of your help.
Janet Image
Last edited by janetd (GOLD) on 03 Aug 2009, 00:48, edited 1 time in total.

Joel

16 May 2002, 19:27 #13

One man in my program last night was a 40 year smoker who had never tried to quit before. Thought he would benefit from this one.

Slycat

16 May 2002, 22:15 #14

Hi Joel:
I'm a first time quitter and my quit has been tough. No Way, will I go through that again.....
I would not understand how a person can quit and go back and quit and go back. To me that is PURE torture. But I haven't been there yet. I hope I never will be there. I will try my hardest to never do that......
In the meantime, I always said I was going to quit but never did and this time I said I was going to quit and I did. I will be strong and protect my quit and that's the best I can do.
Thanks for being there...
Judy
Last edited by Slycat on 19 Aug 2009, 23:58, edited 1 time in total.

Kit Cat (Gold)

17 May 2002, 00:44 #15

Yes, this is my first time quitting after smoking for 28 yrs. I plan to be successful and never go back. I am an addict and cannot take that one puff. Quitting hasn't been too bad for me, but I won't lie and say its easy either. I do have my moments in the evenings. But remember, it wasn't easy to become a smoker (I was nauseated, sick, dizzy, etc......) so why should it be easy to quit. To benefit from anything, you have to try your best. I'm doing my best and will succeed. I AM AN ADDICT AND WILL NOT TAKE THAT ONE PUFF!

Cat

I have chosen not to smoke for 1 Week 3 Days 22 Hours 54 Minutes 5 Seconds. Cigarettes not smoked: 416. Money saved: C$166.50. Life/Time saved: 4 Days 8 Hrs 3 Mins 54 Secs

blondie (green )

06 Jun 2002, 22:14 #16

Hi Joel,
I read sooo many places that the success rate for first time quitters is low and to top that off that cold turkey quitters have a lower rate of success.

If I hadn't found this site to teach me otherwise, I would have thought for sure that I was doomed to many attempts. I only want to quit once. I've posted this many times...it's too hard to do this more than once and I'm not sure I could do it again.

So, thanks for your help, support, encouragement and education that will help me to NEVER TAKE ANOTHER PUFF.

Ruth
aka Blondie
27 days

Kit Cat (Gold)

06 Jun 2002, 22:58 #17

Thanks Joel,

In the past I've watched so many people quit and start, over and over. I read also that to quit on your first try was probably not going to happen unless you have had a few tries.

For myself I'm glad this isn't so! I made my Green status last night and my quit hasn't been to hard. I look forward to working towards the Bronze and not having to worry about a CRASH AND BURN. I do believe if you want something hard enough, and have the proper learning tools anybody can be successful.

Thanks for all your information and thanks for this site that gives all of us ex-smokers the support we greatly appreciate when in need.

Catherine

"I'd rather be an ex-smoker who has an occasional thought about smoking than a smoker obsessing about quitting."
I am GREEN and I have not smoked for 1 Month 9 Hours 8 Minutes 29 Seconds. NEVER TAKE ANOTHER PUFF!

My3Sons (Green)

22 Jun 2002, 11:50 #18

Thanks Joel!
I actually had no idea so many here are first time quitters! More power to them for starting here first! I also have to say that my previous quits were with NRT. So they really don't count since I was never really off the nicotine, right? So technically I never really relapsed cuz I was never ever off it. Since this is my first cold turkey quit, this would be MY first quit then, wouldn't it? In that case...
OFF COURSE YOU CAN DO IT THE FIRST TIME!!!!!!Image
Thanks Again!
Colleen
One month, two weeks, four days, 22 hours, 48 minutes and 10 seconds. 1498 cigarettes not smoked, saving $224.78. Life saved: 5 days, 4 hours, 50 minutes.
One is too many and a million is not enough!!
Last edited by My3Sons (Green) on 20 Aug 2009, 00:05, edited 1 time in total.

Joel

22 Jun 2002, 20:09 #19

Hello Colleen:
You are right, since you never really got nicotine out of your system on those previous attempt you never actually ever relapsed. I have found the terminology people use when referencing NRT "quitting" quite interesting. They are big on still calling the first seven days on NRT **** week. Well if you followed my thoughts earlier this week on "**** week" (see post 13 in the string The Teaching of Conventional Wisdom at Freedom) you will see that first I don't really agree with the premise of the term "**** week" for most people--and for NRT users the whole concept is quite ridiculous.
They are not going through their peak withdrawal the day they stop smoking and start delivering nicotine via other routes of administration--they are potentially going through the peak withdrawals months later when they finally attempt to get off the product. In the interim they are staying in a moderate form of extended withdrawal, lasting from months if they follow the directions to years or decades if they simply continue on these products for such time periods.
I wouldn't say this is your first attempt at quitting though. Your intent each time slapping on a nicotine patch or buying and chewing a piece of nicotine gum was to quit smoking. I suspect your goal each time was not to transfer nicotine delivery, that your intent was to actually get off all nicotine eventually and that you were just looking for an easier way to do it. But this is where the fallacy of the concept of NRT comes into play--it doesn't make quitting easier--not in the long-run and contrary to popular opinion--it does not increase success but undercuts a person who really may have a true desire to quit.
By the way, for clarity sake, when I am using the term popular opinion here I am not only speaking of non-professional opinions--most professional groups, organizations and the people often considered the leading experts in smoking cessation will advocate the merits of NRT. It is hard for the average person to disregard advice that seems to come from so many people and respected organizations.
It is essential though for people who really want to quit to finally listen to their own instincts or, at least to listen to long-term successful quitters in their real world more so than listening to the literature. I often use the following analogy here to explain my views on the topic of NRT's perceived superiority.
Lets say I see a news report that says that a specific pill has been developed that has been proven to prevent colds in 100% of the cases of human trials. Soon it is published in a medical journal. Then another study verifies it. It is now released on a worldwide scale and the popular media proclaims that it is 100% effective. Now every expert in the world comes out and says colds no longer exist--the pill has eradicated them.
The problem is, most people I knew who took this miracle pill still got colds. Worse than that, I took the pill myself and all my friends on the pill with colds kept giving the cold to me. Pretty soon I would dismiss those studies and no matter how many times I see it I would not believe it. Sooner or later you have to believe your eyes, ears, basically, your own instincts more than expert opinion.
I always tell people not to take my word for the limitations of these products, but to go out into their real world and talk to long-term quitters. By long-term quitters, I mean talk to people who are off all nicotine for at least a year longer. Find out how all of these people who have been nicotine free for a minimum of 365 days in a row actually started their quit. These people are always amazed by the results of such real world surveys. In the vast majority of cases they will see that cold-turkey was the initial quit method. The reason for the quit may vary, but the technique will almost always be the same.
Occasionally they may come across an individual who did it by other means like by cutting down or NRT, but they will see that these people are by no means the norm--that for every person they find like this if they do find any at all, there will be multiples of people who went cold-turkey.
Talk to people you know and trust in your real world--family members, friends, co-workers, etc. People you knew when they were smokers, people you knew when they were quitting and people you now know as ex-smokers. People who are off nicotine long-term will usually be more than glad to share how they did it.
Again, I was careful how I worded the previous sentence--"people who are off nicotine," not, "people who are off smoking." People who are currently using NRT will often tout its merits--they are trying to rationalize their results to you as well as to themselves. But again, by the fact that they are still using nicotine or have only been off nicotine a short time, they have not clearly illustrated that they do in fact seem to have the staying power of staying off nicotine over the longer-term.
So if you go through the survey process of people you really know, stick with the criteria of people who are totally nicotine free for a year or longer. You will be amazed at the percentages who went cold turkey, and are now off smoking for a significant period of time because they have never take"n" another puff!
Joel
P.S. I had to vary that last line. Many people who quit on their own don't necessarily fully appreciate the concept of one puff equating to relapse. They have not taken one but in essence can still be at risk. The last group I just graduated had four people who were once ex-smokers for longer than a decade--one was actually once off over 20 years before having relapsed. As long as you are talking to your ex-smoking friends, don't assume that you have nothing to offer them information wise because they are off longer than you. You have a deeper understanding of the addiction than most people no longer how long they have been off. You should share that understanding with people you care about to help secure their quits over the longer-term by helping them to understand that to keep this quit going forever means understanding to never take another puff!
Joel
Last edited by Joel on 20 Aug 2009, 00:16, edited 1 time in total.

Joel

19 Jul 2002, 20:18 #20

I saw where a new member was somewhat concerned because she has heard that you have to quit numerous times before a quit will take. Your first quit WILL be your last quit as long as you stick to your first commitment to never take another puff!

Joel