"If they ever cure lung cancer, I would go back to smoking."

"If they ever cure lung cancer, I would go back to smoking."

Joel

10 Feb 2001, 20:29 #1

Joel's Reinforcement Library

"If they ever cure lung cancer,
I would go back to smoking."

This sentiment is often expressed to me by clinic participants when they are initially trying to quit. More surprisingly though, some ex-smokers off for substantially longer times maintain this feeling. Apparently, these people originally quit smoking out of fear of cancer. But once off smoking, so many other benefits are evident to most ex-smokers that fear of disease should not be the only motivation for not smoking.

Physical and psychological benefits from not smoking are both numerous and rewarding. Most ex-smokers breathe better, have more energy and greater endurance. Circulation improves and cardiovascular fitness is greatly increased. Because of the benefits to the respiratory and circulatory systems, ex-smokers can participate in activities which they had to avoid while smoking. Ex-smokers are more productive, both at home and work, leaving them more time to do enjoyable recreational activities. Food smells and tastes better, making the ex-smoker much more capable of enjoying finer culinary treats. They become calmer, better able to deal with life's demands and stresses. Aesthetic improvements are dramatic. They smell better, and even the skin appears healthier. In many, not smoking will prevent premature wrinkling which would have occurred if they continued to indulge in cigarettes. They are more socially acceptable as ex-smokers. No longer do they have to worry about offending non-smokers around them. They can go anywhere, any time without worrying about whether they will be able to get their 20 minute fixes of nicotine. Improved self-esteem is a major benefit noted by the majority of ex-smokers. No longer are they spending hundreds or even thousands of dollars a year on cigarettes. No longer do they worry about burning holes in their furniture, clothes and cars. No longer do they worry about starting fires which could destroy everything they own and possibly themselves. Last, but in no way least, they are eliminating from their lifestyle the greatest preventable cause of premature death and disability in our country.

Why would anyone want to sacrifice such gains to go back to smoking? Even if they reduced the risk from one disease, all the other diseases still pose a great threat to smokers. But worse yet, returning to smoking means once again becoming an addict. All of the associated behaviors will once again become necessary to maintain a serum nicotine level high enough to avoid withdrawal. They will have to smoke in places where smoking is unacceptable. When encountering stress, they will have to smoke continuously to feel better. "Better" means just as rotten as they would have felt originally if they were non-smokers encountering the same stress. No longer could they sit comfortably through a two hour movie or meeting where smoking is prohibited. Once again they will be viewed by others as weak unfortunates unable to break free from such a dirty habit. Some view them with pity, others with scorn. No one views them with envy. They will smell bad, they will look bad, and they will be slowly crippling and killing themselves.

Life is simpler, healthier and more enjoyable as a non-smoker. Whenever considering going back to smoking, or just trying one cigarette, take a long careful inventory of the gains you have made by quitting. Think of the inconveniences and dangers you will face of once again having to smoke 20, 40, 60 or even more cigarettes a day. Consider both of these sides and, if you choose to remain an ex-smoker, simply - NEVER TAKE ANOTHER PUFF!

John (Gold)

03 Apr 2001, 22:36 #2

I used to use the junkie thinking that they would find a cure for lung cancer before mine arrived. How sick! At the time I didn't know that there are many different types of lung cancer nor did I realize that that each cigarette was destroying my good cholesterol (HDL), causing every artery in my body to slowly harden and clog, or that more smokers were killed each year by heart disease than by lung cancer. I guess I didn't want to know.
Last edited by John (Gold) on 29 Jul 2009, 02:25, edited 1 time in total.

Marius (Silver)

20 Jun 2001, 22:54 #3

It makes me laugh now, to think that I believed that smoking is acting as a "dezinfectant" for me, and prevents me from getting cancer!!!!! I firmly believed that i would get cancer next day after quitting smoking.

Marius, Day 11 and feeling great.

Joel

23 Sep 2001, 19:53 #4

There is one other side note I could have attached to this article when I wrote it. If they really ever did find a cure for lung cancer that was 100% effective--most people who die from smoking would still die. More people die from heart and other circulatory conditions from smoking than who die from lung cancer from smoking. The biggest risk posed by smoking numerically is actually the assault on the circulatory system and it often causes premature death at a much younger age than lung cancer normally does.

Although at many of my recent programs participants have been telling me of anecdotal instances of younger people they know personally or know of, many being in their very early 40's, dying of lung cancer. The tragedy of these cases is how often they are saying they have left young children and families behind--all in order for the "enjoyment" of smoking. The only way to reduce all the risks posed by smoking is to never take another puff!

Joel

John (Gold)

26 Feb 2002, 08:47 #5

Monday February 25, 2002 10:11 AM ET
Cancer May Never Be Eliminated,
Nobel Laureate Says
By Patricia Reaney
LONDON (Reuters) - Scientists are winning the fight against cancer but it is a long, slow process and the disease that kills about six million people each year may never be eliminated, said Nobel medicine laureate Sir Paul Nurse.
Don't expect any magic bullets. Forget miracle cures.
Cancer is not one but more than 200 different types of disease and far too complicated for any quick fixes.
``Our generation will make significant progress. I really do believe that. I don't believe we will eliminate cancer,'' the co-director of Cancer Research UK, Europe's largest research organization, told Reuters in an interview.
Nurse should know.
The 53-year-old motorcycle enthusiast who has the look and boyish charm of American comedian Robin Williams has been delving into the secrets of cells for more than two decades. He shared the 2001 Nobel Prize for identifying essential components that control how cells replicate.
Faults in the controls of cell division are what causes cancer. Instead of dying the mutated cell keeps dividing and eventually forms a tumor.
``It is an immensely complex disease. Much more complex than most other (diseases) we have to deal with,'' said Nurse.
``Because of the complexity there aren't going to be easy quick hits. There may be some but essentially we have to understand fully one of the most complicated diseases known to mankind,'' he told Reuters.
LONG-TERM STRATEGY
Nurse, who celebrated his award with a new Kawasaki GPZ 500 motorcycle, is confident that new findings about the genetic and environmental components that cause cancer will lead to better treatments and improved prevention strategies.
But he said the one component that could have the biggest impact on cancer has nothing to do with a miracle drug.
``The single most major hit we can get for short-term cancer rates is to eliminate the use of tobacco. We have to try to do that.''
It is an old message but one which Nurse said people are failing to heed. If smokers quit and adolescents don't start fewer people would die from lung and other cancers linked to tobacco. Lung cancer kills about a million people each year.
Avoiding known causes of cancer such as tobacco and over-exposure to the sun, coupled with a better understanding of the genetic components that promote cancer, is the two-prong attack that Nurse said will make a difference.
``If you understand the genetic makeup better we will be able to sort out the environment more easily. That is a new type of approach that we will be able to increasingly use over the next 10-20 years and I think that could lead to significant improvements in prevention,'' according to Nurse.
Of the estimated 30,000-40,000 genes in humans, scientists suspect perhaps a few hundred are involved in cancer. Each particular cancer, be it breast, colon or skin, is probably defective in a subset of those genes.
``We now understand cancer much better. We have the conceptual tools and we have the scientific tools to dissect it and it is that understanding that will lead to better treatments,'' said Nurse.
Nurse likens some of the cruder cancer treatments to shaking a broken radio. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't but it is better than doing nothing.
``If we really understand how the radio works we should tailor treatment to make it work better. That's the state we're in (with cancer) and that's why I'm optimistic,'' he explained.
``We will always have cancer with us because of natural mistakes in the natural body so it will never be eliminated but I think we can do much better than we are doing now.''

DebD (GOLD)

29 Mar 2002, 04:25 #6

I always thought I loved smoking but with this educated quit, I have found how wrong I was and I would never take another puff if they proved that smoking didn't cause any medical problems. I am enjoying this new freedom of fresh air to fowl it up with the dirty, nasty smoke again. My house and truck are just beginning not to reek from the stench. No a cure for cancer couldn't intice me back. "Thanks, but no thanks!" Here's to remaining smoke free and enjoying it!
DebD

8 DAYS 2 HRS 30 MIN, 162 NOT SMOKED, SAVING $ 28.36, lif saved: 13 HRS 30 MIN

Joel

14 Jun 2002, 01:21 #7

ImageFor anyone waiting for a cure.

Juanjuanjuanjuanjuan200

29 Jul 2002, 09:02 #8

thanks for the enlightning, (la claridad). Will keep track of every light: circulatory problems are bigger than cancer lung. No wonder I ve been feeling so well.

Juan

Joel

29 Jul 2002, 09:20 #9

Last edited by Joel on 29 Jul 2009, 02:28, edited 1 time in total.

ComicForces GOLD

13 Mar 2003, 00:52 #10

I love this one -

It's funny because last night I heard on the news that "they" may have found something to help heal lungs in lung cancer patients (or something, not sure of the exact details). I of course, as a new quitter, got that "pang" of a thought of - "oh my friends that still smoke - **** them - they are going to be lucky and won't have to deal with lung cancer". Which is JUNKIE THINKING. I know this.

What I love the most about this link is the list of everything good that comes with not being a smoker.

My favorite is having more time and more energy to do more things. I LOVE this concept, and it's so true. I have always been a HUGE procrastinator, and VERY lazy…and smoking has magnified that bad quality of mine by about 250%. I never LIKED being that way--- coming home, sitting in the dark watching TV and taking frequent smoke breaks --breaks from doing nothing. I stayed away from exercise as I didn't want to feel my heart pound and be reminded that my breathing was getting worse and worse….

I CHERISH the fact that I am getting my energy back. I really got to a point a few months before my quit where I really didn't like my life. I didn't like not having energy.. I didn't like wanting to take a nap any second I could get. I didn't like the taste of cigs in my mouth… I didn't like that when I went for my nap, my hands would reek of smoke and thus my bed would reek. I didn't like sitting in the dark. This was one of my biggest reasons for quitting.

Now I've been exercising…and doing things at night - cleaning, doing laundry, painting my nails, cleaning my car… I'm living in a comfortable, neat, clean environment (now I suddenly have time to take 30 minutes a night to "straighten up" around the house - go figure!!)… I am relaxed at night from exercising… A state of calm.

I might print out this article as a reminder of the GREAT benefits of NOT being a smoker. How much better that life is than getting cancer treatments if they ever really exist.

THANKS

CF

2 weeks, 5 days without a single puff