I will not smoke today!

I will not smoke today!

Joel

20 Feb 2001, 21:39 #1

Joel's Reinforcement Library

"I Will Not Smoke Today!"

During the quitting process, you most likely woke up thinking of this concept, either with great determination or incredible trepidation. Either way, it was imperative that you aimed a high degree of focus at this lofty goal. The incredible cravings elicited by the addiction required that you had all the motivation and ammunition to squelch the seemingly irresistible need to take a cigarette. Whether or not you understood it, immediately reaffirming your goal not to smoke upon waking was crucial during your initial quitting phase.

The fact is, restating the simple concept of "not smoking today" is not only important when you first quit. You should restate this upon waking for the rest of your life. Each day you should start with "I'm not going to smoke today." Equally important, each day you should end congratulating yourself and feeling a sense of pride and accomplishment for achieving your worthwhile goal.

For even years and decades after successful cessation, every day you continue to breathe and think, relapse to smoking remains an inherent risk. The addiction to nicotine is as powerful as the addiction to alcohol or any illicit drug. The habituation of smoking permeated almost every area of your day to day existence. You may allow complacency to fill the void left by your old addiction and habits by disregarding the monumental effort and achievement which accompanied overcoming them. Complacency causes your guard to drop and you may begin to forget the reasons you wanted to quit. You will no longer recognize the many vast improvements in the quality of your physical, social and economic well being which accompanied smoking cessation.

Then, one day when smoking seemed to be a part of an obscure past which had no real relevance to your current status, a thought for a cigarette is accompanied by an opportunity to "innocently" reach for one. Maybe it is under an insignificant social circumstance, or maybe a major life crisis. Either way, all the elements seem to be in place. Motive, cause and opportunity are present, reasoning and knowledge of addiction are conspicuously absent. A puff is taken.

New rules are now in place. Your body demands nicotine. A preordained process is now set in motion, and, even if you don't realize what has happened, a drug relapse has occurred. The wants and desire to take back the action are overpowered by the body's demand for nicotine. You will have no control of the physiological process set in action. Soon your mind bows to your body's dictates.

You will very likely feel great regret and remorse. An overriding feeling of failure and guilt will haunt you. You will soon find yourself longing for the days when you had hardly thought of cigarettes at all. But those days will slowly become a fading past image. Weeks, months or even decades may pass before you once again muster the resolve to attempt a serious quitting process. Sadly, you may never again have the appropriate strength, initial motivation, or, tragically, the opportunity to quit again. A terminal diagnosis or sudden death may preclude the well-intentioned future attempt that may never have a chance to be realized.

Don't take the chance of becoming entrapped in this kind of tragic and dismal scenario. Actively strive to successfully remain smoke free and maintain all the associated perks-the physical, emotional, economic, professional and social benefits of not being an active smoker. Always start your day off with the statement "I won't smoke today." Always end your day with a self-affirmation and sense of pride and accomplishment for once again winning your daily battle over your addiction. And always remember between your waking up and the ending of your day to - NEVER TAKE ANOTHER PUFF!

Last edited by Joel on 15 Aug 2012, 18:23, edited 3 times in total.

Joel

20 Feb 2001, 21:44 #2

Good Morning Joel, My statement of the day is " I will not smoke today, tomorrow, next week, next month, next year, never". Have a great day. I have been Quit for: 1M 1W 5D 6h 50m 21s. I have NOT smoked 1731, for a savings of $240.66. Life Saved: 6D 15m.
I WILL NOT SMOKE TODAY!
I WILL NOT SMOKE TODAY!
I will NOT smoke today because in reality all I really have is today.

Four days, 16 hours, 47 minutes and 7 seconds. 70 cigarettes not smoked, saving $18.50. Life saved: 5 hours, 50 minutes.

Dodie
I will not smoke today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Roswitha,
I'm not going to smoke today. Stef Three weeks, four days, 31 minutes and 20 seconds. 700 cigarettes not smoked, saving $133.11. Life saved: 2 days, 10 hours, 20 minutes.
My screen saver is a banner that scrolls across the screen with the words in lime green on purple background. It says

"I will not smoke today -- I SHALL NEVER TAKE A PUFF".

Vivian has not puffed for One week, three days, 11 hours, 49 minutes and 24 seconds. 524 cigarettes not smoked, saving $34.36. Life saved: 1 day, 19 hours, 40 minutes.

I WILL NOT SMOKE TODAY!

Jitterbug
I WILL NOT SMOKE TODAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

EAGLE66

Three days, 5 hours, 30 minutes and 24 seconds. 64 cigarettes not smoked, saving $8.88. Life saved: 5 hours, 20 minutes.

I WILL NOT SMOKE TODAY

Jitterbug

3 weeks, 4 days, 3 hours, 45 minutes, 503 sickarettes not smoked and saved $96.83.
I WILL NOT SMOKE TODAY

Dodie

One month, six days, 20 hours, 15 minutes and 59 seconds. 567 cigarettes not smoked, saving $149.01. Life saved: 1 day, 23 hours, 15 minutes.

i will not smoke today,,, Christiana
I WILL NOT SMOKE TODAY!!!!!

I have choosen NOT to smoke for 1Day 13Hrs. 31Min. 54Sec. I have saved $8.21 by NOT smoking 54 cigarettes! Life Saved: 4Hrs. 30Min.

I never realized how many cigarettes I was smoking, nor the amount I was spending....this meter is an eye opener! And LOOKIE...I'm half way to that "72" hours!!!!

Have a great smoke free day everyone!!

~touch~
I am NOT got to smoke today!!

Christy One day, 18 hours, 54 minutes and 37 seconds. 53 cigarettes not smoked, saving $9.38. Life saved: 4 hours, 25 minutes.

oops..need more coffee..I meant to say and I DO say...

"I am not GOING to smoke today".

Christy
Last edited by Joel on 12 Jul 2009, 07:38, edited 3 times in total.

Joel

20 Feb 2001, 21:45 #3

I WILL NOT SMOKE TODAY! Yours sincerely,

Sheila

P. S. I WILL NEVER TAKE ANOTHER PUFF!
I will not smoke today.
SunlitMonkey
I have chosen not to smoke for: 20h 55m 18s. I have NOT smoked 34, for a savings of $5.32. Life Saved: 2h 50m.
I will not SMOKE today!
Loving Life being free
Kyra
One month, one week, 22 hours, 20 minutes and 9 seconds. 778 cigarettes not smoked, saving $146.15. Life saved: 2 days, 16 hours, 50 minutes.
We are all different people and one thing that is helpful to one person may not be helpful to another one, and I am afraid as an ex-smoker I don't agree with this thought.
I personally would not like to be a slave to the thought of smoking all my life. The reason I stopped smoking is because I was fed up with being a slave to an addiction and I refuse to become a slave to its thought now. I do not want to think of cigs and smoking every morning, all my life! I have been quit for 12 weeks, and after the first month I didn't wake up saying 'I will not smoke today'. I prefer to regard myself as a non-smoker now, and I don't think any of the non-smokers wake up saying 'I will not smoke today'. If I face a craving (which is becoming less and less), then I say to myself 'you don't want to go through day 1,2, and 3 again' and this works for me. There may be a lot of people who slip or relapse but there are also many people who have quit for good and sticking to it. If we want to stay quit we will, I don't think we have to repeat it to ourselves everyday.
From: GrumpyOMrsS (mgr) Sent: 11/25/2000 6:42 PM 21 of 45
As an exsmoker....one who smoked 41 years before quitting....I will always tell myself never another puff. as a nicotine addict, I am no different than one who suffers from any other form of addiction in that I must never ever allow myself to become complacent about my quitting smoking. If I take a puff, I may never get another chance to quit....I may not have the desire to quit or I may just kill myself with that which I have allowed to reenter my life....smoking....
Saying every day that I will not smoke serves as a reminder to me of where I have come from and where I never wish to return......I never, ever want to forget that I smoked and I never ever want to lose the freedom I have gained from quitting.....and I never, ever will take another puff!
Linda.......After smoking for 41 years...I have been smokefree for ten monthS, three weekS, one day, 7 hourS, 38 minuteS and 27 secondS. 6546 cigaretteS not smoked, saving $981.95.
By choosing not to smoke each day for 153 days, I have become truly free. I am no longer a slave to nicotine, and that feels wonderful!
ImageLinnee
Image For Ann
. . . for anyone who night need it !!!!
I will not smoke today!!

(Ya know....I have to get up earlier and earlier every morning to sit on the side of my bed and say these things to myself...."I will not smoke today...I will not eat junk food today...I will not be lazy today....I will not feel sorry for myself today...." yada yada yada....)
From: GrumpyOMrsS (mgr) Sent: 12/8/2000 10:30 AM 26 of 45
Dear Robin......
Please do not put so much pressure on yourself at the beginning of your quit...your whole lifestyle is changing, but most of all you are still going through the process of ridding your body of nicotine and then you must fight the psychological triggers. quitting is your number one objective right now....and as soon as you are comfortable with it....the other things will fall into place....
be good to yourself....hugs,
Linda
Image For JenniLynn. For Aprhodite too. Image
From: Jitterbug (Staff2) Sent: 12/27/2000 6:42 AM 28 of 45
Image Ditto, on the "I'm not going to smoke today"

Jitterbug (Staff2)
For Tessa
I WILL NOT SMOKE TODAY!
Slow It Down, Cheryl
DON'T PROJECT INTO THE NEXT CENTURY
THIS IS MY FAVORITE THOUGHT
SINCE I TEND TO PROJECT
WILL COPY AND PRINT THIS FOR SURE
Three weeks, one day, 1 hour, 40 minutes and 9 seconds. 220 cigarettes not smoked, saving $33.10. Life saved: 18 hours, 20 minutes.
Last edited by Joel on 27 Jul 2009, 02:59, edited 2 times in total.

Joel

20 Feb 2001, 21:46 #4

Hello Freeflight:

Image "Don't project into the next century." That is very funny. We should get a lot of usage of this for the next few days.
OK, for all of you needing some quick money from holiday bills. Start placing bets with all of your skeptical friends. Bet them $100 that you will not smoke for the rest of the century. You might catch them off guard and can collect on Monday.

Hey, even if they don't pay up, you still would have won. You ended the 20th century smoke free. The 21st Century will start with a clean smoke free slate for you. To keep it clean, just hang in there a day a time, never take another puff.

OK for the benefit of Tessa and anyone still a afraid of a lifetime commitment, I will add that if you really want to, you can consider going back in the 22nd century. I think I can safely promise that nobody here will give you a hard time if you do. But with the marvels of medical science and you all now being ex-smokers, I don't personally want to place any bets on that prediction either.

Joel
I'M NOT GOING TO SMOKE TODAY!

I'm notorious for saying this everytime a crave or urge hits...I tell myself that if I still want one tomorrow, then we'll deal with it then...but for today

I WILL NOT HAVE ANOTHER PUFF NO MATTER WHAT!!!

Thanks Joel! I woke up this morning with a powerful urge to smoke (out of nowhere) and had to fight with myself...logged on and here are all of your wonderful articles to revamp my motivation.

Hugs,
Amy

I have been free for 3 weeks, 1 day, 30 minutes and 21 seconds. Have robbed the nicodemon of 660 cigarettes, stealing $89.18 from Phillip Morris, and plan to be around an extra: 2 days, 7 hours, 0 minutes.
Image WAY TO GO AMY! TODAY HAS ENOUGH ROUGH WATER
TO HANDLE...WHY BORROW FROM TOMORROW'S TROUBLES.
AND JOEL, GREAT IDEA!..SMOKE FREE COULD MEAN MORE MONEY FOR LITTLE OLE'ME...LOL! SAY, I WONDER IF OUR BRAINS WORK BETTER WITHOUT SMOKE? AFTER THE FOG CLEARS,,,THAT IS...
I choose not to smoke
today I will not smoke
If I get a sudden crave some mornings I tell myself out loud, "I AM NOT A SMOKER"
I am a nicotine addict and refuse to give in to that addiction, I choose NOT to smoke.
;-)
Iris
For Lorrie
Thanks again Joel. I did say those very words to myself upon waking this morning (and during the course of the night before - as I awake every 2 hours or so) "I don't smoke. I don't smoke" It really is a good feeling. I find myself saying that a lot throughout the day. I recently realized at least for me anyway that triggers aren't really a problem for me...I think if you smoke enough cigarettes you don't need a trigger. If the clock strikes 2:11 pm., by golly it's time to smoke! I used to love to have a smoke before I got ready to clean...but then I would have when while I was cleaning, too...and hey I couldn't forget the "after" cleaning cigarette (you know to reward myself for having worked hard). Really is sickening. So for me there are no triggers, per se, becuase my whole day and night was filled with smoking a cig about every 30/40 minutes or so. So if you attach an event, emotion, etc to those timed intervals....BOOM! you (me) just automatically think you need to light up (i know now it's the nic level that needs feeding). My point is this: I have no triggers, just the fact that 30 or 40 minutes go by is my trigger. With or without smokes, I still have to clean, feed the kids, bathe, laugh, cry, do dishes, go to the grocery store. So as long as the 30 or 40 minutes is going to come and go anyway, I might as well choose to make it smokefree until the next 30 or 40 minutes comes along.Image Now will someone please tell me what I was going to do next? Oh yeah......NOT SMOKE!!!!!! (Notice how I got the letters to match my hairdo here?)
Image For Touch
I WILL NOT SMOKE TODAY!
~touch~
I just saw this graphic from Robert, I think it is new, but thought it deserved a home here in this string.

Thanks Robert and who ever created it. Although I have a favor or suggestion. Instead of designing it as getting smaller and smaller, I would kind of like to see it start small and get bigger and bigger. Makes it seem more and more important, because as time goes on, this feeling does get more and more important. So if anyone has extra time...Image

Joel
i am not going to smoke today
just need4d to type that : )
now time for nap : ) : )
I am not going to smoke today, I have said this oh a zillion times today. GBB
I WILL NOT SMOKE TODAY!
I WILL NOT SMOKE TODAY!!
I WILL NOT SMOKE TODAY!!
I WILL NOT SMOKE TODAY!!
I WILL NOT SMOKE TODAY!!
I WILL NOT SMOKE TODAY!! I WILL NOT SMOKE TODAY!!!
I WILL NOT SMOKE TODAY---this is good for me to hear EVERY SINGLE MORNING--it gives me a positive mindset..Helps alot when ole Nic sneaks up and whispers in my ear that I should be smoking a cig now...I just shout back at him--I am NEVER TAKING ANOTHER PUFF!!! Hear me, Nicodemon---I WILL NOT SMOKE TODAY!!!
This statement has been one of the foundations of this (what I'm working on to be my final) quit. Each and every morning, and occasionally throughout the day I say it OUTLOUD:

I'M NOT GOING TO SMOKE TODAY!!

Joel

20 Feb 2001, 21:48 #5

Image THANK YOU JOEL. I NEEDED THAT

YOU GET AN

Yes Thank You Joel ,I needed that also
My Pledge---- Image Image ( Todays Pledge )

shakes

21 Feb 2001, 01:09 #6

Image My gift to myself !!!!!!!! I WILL NOT SMOKE TODAY!!!Image

Joanne Gold

21 Feb 2001, 23:49 #7

You got it, Shakes! Great work.Image

Joel

06 Apr 2001, 19:53 #8

One more for Rory. Whether you come here daily, weekly or even monthly is not as important as the issue of reminding yourself daily that you will not smoke. We always love to have people come share their support and insights to our newer members, but everyone needs to realize that their quit comes first. The fact that staying off cigarettes is a fight for your health and your life warrants giving it a few seconds or even minutes out of your day to remind yourself that you don't want to be a smoker. Share this with yourself daily. Share this with us whenever you have the time to spare.Either way, the message to give to either yourself or others is to always remember to never take another puff!

Joel

John (Gold)

24 May 2001, 21:00 #9

One of the above posts (Laguna's) raises the interesting point of becoming a lifetime slave to our quit. I think her concern is more of having to try to remain conscious of her quit each and every day for the remainder of her life. She wants her freedom. She wants it to be over. She wants to be normal. It's understandable and I'm sure it's a feeling shared by many but don't confuse the tremedous the despair of bondage or the energy required to break free with the comfort and calmness of freedom!

I don't wake up each day and consciously say that, "I'm not going to smoke today." I have not done so since the second month of my quit. Once you grow to become comfortable as an ex-smoker it's more of a mixture of joy and remembrance that keeps you on your toes but the basic message remains the same - I fought to earn my freedom and I refuse to give it up.

My heart feels it when I watch a brother or sister smoker trying to look cool as they raise their falling blood nicotine level back into the comfort zone. I remember my freedom each time I see a cigarette butt on the ground. I sense it each time my lungs and body perform above my expectations. I smell my freedom when I walk past an ashtray as I enter a store.

I spent 30 years living in a nicotine world of black tar and goo and I'm here to tell you that it doesn't take an ounce of energy to be thankful for each breath of fresh air that kisses these lungs. I promise each of you that it isn't work being appreciative of your freedom - it's a heartfelt joy! If being thankful that the cough and wheezing sounds are gone is a new form of slavery then lock me up! If the return of my self dignity, worth, esteem and pride are a form of new incarceration then throw away the key to my cell because I'm staying and I will not smoke today!
Breathe deep, hug hard, live long, YQB Zep : )
I have now been free and healing for 2 Years 1 Week 1 Day 12 Hours 58 Minutes 34 Seconds and there should be an extra 44,372 cigarettes somewhere.

marty (gold)

24 May 2001, 21:20 #10

Right on the spot, Zep Image