I will not smoke today!

Joe J free

22 Mar 2012, 16:47 #41

Actively strive to successfully remain smoke free and maintain all the associated perks-the physical, emotional, economic, professional and social benefits of not being an active smoker. Always start your day off with the statement "I won't smoke today." Always end your day with a self-affirmation and sense of pride and accomplishment for once again winning your daily battle over your addiction. And always remember between your waking up and the ending of your day to - NEVER TAKE ANOTHER PUFF!

lizisfree

25 Jun 2012, 15:51 #42

On July 4th, I will be free for 8 months.  I will not smoke today nor ever take that one puff again!

bizz

26 Sep 2012, 16:37 #43

It's amazing how well this little piece of advice has been working for me the last week.

I have a very close friend that was a very serious alcoholic that is now 10 years sober. He wasn't the kind of drinker that would get blasted at night and pass out drunk. He was the type that would wake up in the morning and slam a pint of vodka before work. Then he would sneak drinks all day at work. Once he was done for the day it was a 5th of vodka when he got home. When you would talk to him you would never know he was at such a high level of dependency. He just never seemed drunk. In fact the day he checked himself into detox, they sent someone down to do a psych evaluation because they didn’t believe him when he said how much he had to drink.

When he got out of rehab after 30 days he wasn’t sure if he was going to make it. A big part of his income at the time was spent playing bass in a rock band, surrounded by people drinking booze in clubs every Friday and Saturday night. When I asked him how he got through he told me “I just didn’t drink, real simple” His coping mechanism was the same thing that a lot of us use. Instead of saying “I won’t smoke today”, for him it was “I won’t drink today” He said it’s gotten better, but on occasion he still has to himself that to avoid a temptation.

He’s taught me a lot about how to deal with situations that might induce craves. You can’t hide from them forever; sooner or later you have to learn to deal with them. In fact he’s kind of become my defacto sponsor through this quit. Even though his addiction is different than mine, his knowledge on how to deal with different situations really helps me cope.

One day at a time!

soulagement

26 Sep 2012, 19:53 #44

Hi Bizz, no, the whole concept of not hiding from real life but confronting it when you quit is incredibly liberating. Killing triggers, one at a time. Smokers like to believe (I sure used to) that it's a "lesser" addiction. It's not.
NTAP