I Want "Something"

Retraining the conscious mind
Zylah Gold1
Zylah Gold1

April 7th, 2004, 2:17 am #41

This is interesting as I just popped in here to see if there was anything written about the whole "wanting" something thing. It's been 9 months and STILL sometimes i get the feeling. Except now instead of longing for that cigarette, i usually open the fridge door and stare at it.

I never end up eating anything.usually just get a lemon for my water (which is a good habit i picked up from this journey). Still though, it's strange how sometimes that feeling comes back. But now it's not affiated with smoking, just life.

Thanks for the article!

I have been quit for 9 Months, 3 Weeks, 1 Day, 10 hours, 47 minutes and 4 seconds (296 days). I have saved $741.11 by not smoking 2,964 cigarettes. I have saved 1 Week, 3 Days and 7 hours of my life.

HockyMa
HockyMa

April 9th, 2004, 8:40 pm #42

I completely understand that "wanting something" - It's like a feeling of being unsatisfied but you don't know what will satisfy it.

John (Gold)
John (Gold)

April 9th, 2004, 9:03 pm #43

There's one billion comfortable ex-smokers out there, HockyMa, and almost all will tell you the same thing - the key to satisfying that "something" is patience in returning home to "you!"
Patience One day at a time
Last edited by John (Gold) on November 15th, 2009, 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

whynotmee1
whynotmee1

July 22nd, 2004, 5:07 am #44

This is a great post....seem like a good time to bring it to the front again.
I can't speak for every newbie, but as for myself I have felt this lost feeling everyday at one time or another... I've stood looking threw the kitchen cabinets, refrig, channel surfing, thinking to myself...I'm looking for something what in the world is it? I believe there is no one right answer, I'm just trying to fill that spot smoking use to fill.....SOC SILVER:MESSAGE #26 makes good sense to me. If you have the time, read threw these.
Thanks Dave!
DAsmoke-free:12 days

Parker GOLD
Parker GOLD

September 1st, 2004, 11:21 pm #45

This is an important one to read if you are feeling troubled by that nagging something-is-missing feeling. We all felt it. We got through it. You will too. Comfort will come. I promise.

Parker - 26 months

K1k Harper Green
K1k Harper Green

September 9th, 2004, 12:13 am #46

..............i go through this same thing. i get up and stand there, anywhere, and think what do i want. it's not a cig.

smokers/and those who never smoked didn't understand me. i am glad i passed this way and read this post.

i printed a copy to show one person in paticular, that it is not just me, but something real happening in me. thanks.

harper

AssuredNewBren
AssuredNewBren

September 9th, 2004, 12:29 am #47

Wow. Great post. I have that feeling also, and I sometimes ask myself, do people who have never smoked feel this way? what do people who have never smoked do when they're tired or bored or just want to do nothing for a few minutes? Will this feeling eventually go away for me? I know it's gotten better over the weeks, but will I always feel this way?

5 weeks, 4 days, 8 hours, 58 minutes nicotine free!

freemom
freemom

October 15th, 2004, 7:14 am #48

I was just feeling this way tonight when I finished dinner. I needed "something". I did not want to smoke but I just needed "something". It is so nice to hear that other people understand what that means. So I got up from the table and came to the computer. I saw this thread and started reading. It filled that void. Thank you all so much. Now I can go back and clean up the dishes without needing to obsess.

9 days a free person.

Trisha
Trisha

October 15th, 2004, 8:33 am #49

Hello Everyone,
I am just taking my time to reply about hillbilly's post. I am on my 6th day quit and I just have to say that I thought that I was in control, I thought I had this thing licked, but I was way wrong if I thought I could beat this just like that. Last night I was seriously considering going out and buying a pack of cigarettes but I logged on here and read some post from all of you and realized how strong everyone s in here. I can be that strong. I am only 19 years old, and if I started back now where would that really lead? I know exactly where. I would go back to smoking, probably a little at first to prove I am in control, and I would probably end up smoking more than I ever did before, and I would spend the rest of my life trying to quit, one stupid habit. I truly wish that I never picked up a cigarette in my life, but I did and now I must live with that fact. I actually rolled up paper last night and pretended to be smoking, but I really want to get rid of the memories andthe thought of smoking. The point that I am trying to make is, Yes I want something, I want to know when this feeling of wanting a cigarette is going to end....does it ever end. I cant stand the thought of thinking about cigarettes for the rest of my life...Please help me...Im going crazy. Sorry to have taken up all of your time...Good Luck Everyone

I have been quit for 6 Days, 2 hours, 33 minutes and 45 seconds (6 days). I have saved $8.88 by not smoking 48 cigarettes. I have saved 4 hours of my life. My Quit Date: 10/8/2004

Conniesunshine
Conniesunshine

October 15th, 2004, 11:54 am #50

Trisha, there are lots of people that tell us these symptoms will end and that it gets easier. You are asking if the wanting will never end - it will if you stay off of them. How long? For me, day 1 was the hardest and then 2 and then 3. I remember at day 6 that it was more frustrating than at 2 weeks and 4 weeks is easier than at 2 weeks and so on. Its getting better all the time. I quit thinking about running out and getting the cigarettes at around week 3, not that I would have but I thought about it - after all I was a junkie and I'm still addicted.
Tomorrow is 6 weeks into my quit and I just thought that today I did not want a cigarette all day long. That's a first. 32 years of them makes for a long habit, so I feel good that I may be getting past wanting them.

After some weeks or months you may not have an urge to smoke for days at all. It depends on the person and how long you smoked and triggers and what you have decided to do.

The danger, as we are told, is when you think that you are safe enough that you can take just a puff or bum a cigarette just this once. Remember NTAP!

Trisha, you will do fine. Keep your mind on why you wanted to quit because that reason won't change. Take it one day at a time and look at the craves hard and think how they are bothersome now but they will be gone and your lungs can work on being clean and healthy. You are strong and will win!!!

I have been quit for 1 Month, 1 Week, 3 Days, 23 hours, 53 minutes and 48 seconds (40 days). I have saved $122.98 by not smoking 819 cigarettes. I have saved 2 Days, 20 hours and 15 minutes of my life. My Quit Date: 9/3/2004

Parker GOLD
Parker GOLD

October 23rd, 2004, 2:09 am #51

The wise words of Mrs. Triple-Gold Toast......

I'd say the "I want .... something" during the 2, 3, 4 month or so was a surprise to me ... usually, it was wanting to step out on the porch and to have a smoke .... that was something I did several times a day, and so I can't be surprised that I noticed myself not doing it!

But do you know what I remember from before I ever smoked??? I remember having that "I want .... something" feeling too. I think maybe some of that has to do being young and not being adept or experienced enough yet to know and name my desires. Maybe smoking plugged that hole some ... giving me something I could "choose" for myself whenever I wanted - didn't depend on anyone else's vote (just my falling nicotine levels). Maybe smoking plugged that hole a little too by numbing out my emotions and making any deep inspection of my satisfaction or dissatisfaction less urgent sometimes.

Maybe once we get past the initial high drama of quitting smoking - the physical sensations, the most pressing psychological triggers, etc. - we rediscover a little bit of us that's waited stuck all those years for a chance to say, "Hey, I want ... something." And now, rather than it being about smoking, we get a chance to realize it's really about growing up, learning to know and name and act responsibly upon our desires.

LoneNYMom
LoneNYMom

November 4th, 2004, 8:05 am #52

Dear Dave,
I know what you're talking about. After the first 72 hours, the biggest challenge has been filling my "smoking" time with other activities. When I am bored or I'm finished doing something (when it's slow at work, or I'm finished doing a chore at home etc.) is when I think about having a smoke. I keep reminding myself of how poorly I felt when I was smoking and how tough the first 2-3 days of my quit was. I tell myself that the rest is just a matter of giving myself time to learn how to live this new life without smoking.
Jeanette-

---
1 week, 2 days, 21 hours & 27 minutes smoke-free, 128 cigarettes not smoked, $44.80 saved, 10 hours & 40 minutes of my life saved. My quit date is October 24, 2004.

November 4th, 2004, 11:19 am #53

Sometimes that Something is something so normal.
As nicotine addicts we have a few things to re-learn about that Something feeling, and sometimes they include:
Recognizing needs

Sal
Last edited by Sal GOLD.ffn on November 15th, 2009, 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Starshinegrl Gold
Starshinegrl Gold

February 13th, 2005, 3:18 am #54

one of my many favourites ...

Yes, sometimes, the inner junkie tries to tell us that we want a fix ... but do we? The more we listen to our real selves, the more we are going to find out what we really want each time we are confronted with the junkie in us. It never is nicotine.

Gitte
78 days and a bit

FreeBillie61
FreeBillie61

October 12th, 2005, 6:57 pm #55

Gitte just suggested this thread for me. Thanks! It's so true and applies so much to what I've been feeling in the past few days, I thought I'd bring it up for any other new people (or oldies to remember!) to read.

It's such a help to find that what I'm feeling is perfectly normal, and that in time it will pass.

Billie

Free and healing for 2 Weeks, 3 Days, 12 hours, 24 minutes and 28 seconds (17 days). I have saved € 54,29 by not smoking 350 cigarettes. I have saved 1 Day, 5 hours and 10 minutes of my life.

ChurnedSue
ChurnedSue

February 3rd, 2006, 9:52 pm #56

Hi All,
Came across this post and the original thread while I was "wanting something"
which is most of the time lately.
I know it's not going to be nicotine because after 45 years I don't do that anymore, but I don't feel right, thoughts and feelings keep rising to the surface. Like my Parents dying from smoke related causes, my friend and soul-mate dying from lung cancer just 6 weeks ago, (there was only nine weeks between diagnosis and death) me almost literally smoking while giving birth to my 3 children (you could do that all those years ago) I can't crush these feelings by having a cigarette because I don't smoke anymore. Am I going to cope in the future? I, and most people who know me know that I have always coped with whatever life has thrown at me or anyone else, (albeit with a nicotine stick in my hand) but will I do it without?
This is not me looking for a relapse excuse because this is not going to happen, but I am a little concerned that with my crutch gone, I won't be as strong.
I have read this back and it seems like a load of waffle, just a minor panic attack, of course I'll cope, just have to find a different way, others have
Sue Free 33 & a bit days

anhef
anhef

February 19th, 2006, 9:47 am #57

something...but what?? I've had that feeling too...and I knew darn well that it wasn't nicotene that I wanted. also knew that I was not hungry,thirsty or lonely and didn't need sleep. So what????
Found comfort in the oddest thing.
I used to go outside to smoke, and while I was there, I'd look at a beautiful clump of trees, or the clouds, or maybe the sunset. Since I quit, I stopped going outside at odd times too.
Why???? I only quit nicotene, not the enjoyment of those little breaks. So I started going outside, sitting in the same place....and inhaling deeply....but not nicotene, just inhaling fresh air.
And ya know what??? it felt great! Just as great as that "ahhhhh' that signalled giving in to the craving before I quit.
I was missing "something"....but NOT the nicotene. Nope, I was missing the good things that accompanied the delivery of the nicotene. And I realized that there was no need to give up those good things.
So now, when I feel a crave, or trigger, or whatever you want to call it....I follow it to the extent of the goodness involved....and take a big puff...of fresh, free air! AHHHHHHHHHHHH Now that's SOMETHING!
I gotta remember that I didn't "give up anything"....I threw away "something" that was bad for me. ANd I can keep all of the other things, cause they don't have anything to do with NTAP!!!!
All I have to do is remember my priorities and the truth that I learned here at Freedom....and I can stay free.
annie....free and learning new things for 1 week, 2 days 1 hour and 40 minutes

Aprilangel1951
Aprilangel1951

February 20th, 2006, 7:33 am #58

This is just what I have been feeling the past couple days,it is not a need for nicotine,food,drink,sleep or any physical thing,it is a feeling of wanting something but not knowing what it is. It is like my subconcious is trying to tell me something but I am just not getting it.We are all adjusting to living life without nicotine and thus dealing with emotions in a whole new way as we find and embrace our pre addict selves which has been lost to some of us for a very long time. Maybe we are like children trying something new for the first time on their own and feeling vunerable and afraid of the unknown.That "something" is our addiction that we used to hide our true selves and mask our emotions and is being replaced by the true ,authentic us!.We have been stripped to our very cores and are learning to comfront live as it should be,head on,and nicotine free! Yes we will feel afraid,vunerable,confused,angry,sad and like something is missing but it will be oh so worth it, because in the end we will find our true selves!
Carol
Hanging in there at 49 days!

JoeJFree Gold
JoeJFree Gold

March 8th, 2006, 9:22 am #59

For Melissa - From Mary Kate - Lotus above -
I am FINALLY starting to see hints of the "real me" peeking out for a chance to say "Hey I want...something". And that is an incredible feeling. REALLY listening to your body and making conscious choices about your desires. Sometimes it is difficult for me to realize that I am 27 years old and JUST "getting" this now...and other times I rejoice at the rediscovery of "me". It is scary to enter unknown territory, but even scarier to realize that that "unknown territory" is the real me. Scary and exhilirating all at the same time.

Well, I guess my point besides sparking a conversation on the subject, is to remind all the FREEDOMITES and lurkers out there reading this, that quitting smoking is about much more than ceasing a "dirty habit". It is about rediscovery and reconnection. It is about embracing the "real" you and finding your true path to happiness.

As Toast so eloqently puts it : it's really about growing up, learning to know and name and act responsibly upon our desires.

Juju
Juju

March 10th, 2006, 4:50 am #60

Thank you. This post should keep me out of trouble for awhile!

Julie

quitforgood
quitforgood

June 4th, 2006, 10:50 pm #61

Thanks for bringing these posts up again. I hadn't read them before and they certainly hit the nail on the head for me. They express so articulately what I have been feeling in the last few days of a 14 day quit. A lightbulb when off when I read them. Each day I learn more and more at this site and because of this education I know this quit is different from others I have had. Brenda

freejill
freejill

June 5th, 2006, 9:19 am #62

I SOOO needed to see this tonight! I have been feeling this for the last several days and finally recognize it. Having also recovered from drug and alcohol abuse, I've been here before but it's been many years since those first days of getting straight and I've forgotten how that felt.

I have been quit for 1 Week, 6 Days, 4 hours, 19 minutes and 51 seconds (13 days). I have saved $69.19 by not smoking 395 cigarettes. I have saved 1 Day, 8 hours and 55 minutes of my life. My Quit Date: 5/22/2006 4:00 PM

Flo Babe
Flo Babe

June 6th, 2006, 5:40 am #63

I agree. This weekend I had that 'I want something' feel and after some analysis, realized it was 'boredom'. I wasn't fighting the craving. I wasn't hungry. I was bored. I came to the realization that quitting doesn't solve all our problems and it probably masked many of our problems and now it's time to face them without the 'smoke screen' (pardon the pun).

I think perhaps it's time to think outside the box - the box of a smoker - and realize that the world has opened up almost 80% more than it was before we quit. There are now that many more people we can become intimate and friendly with because we don't smoke. There are that many more places we can go to because we don't smoke. And we can do things that take more than an hour because we don't need to think about getting a fix all the time. I think I'm just starting to peek out from my bunker - after 17 days of quitting - and finally realizing that I'm never going back - that I have changed now. That I am a non smoker.

I think that there are a zillion things that we will need to re-cover which were taken by nicotine but it is a journey of discovery - an adventure - and a blessing.

One day at a time, and never take another puff - that's the way to go.

Day 17 of freedom after 42 years of addiction.

FishingRodLady
FishingRodLady

August 3rd, 2006, 3:39 am #64

I have not seen this post before but it describes my feelings exactly. I want something. But what?

Sharon
14 days free

Cindy K
Cindy K

March 21st, 2007, 10:18 pm #65

Wow am I glad I found this string. I have only been nicotine free for 21 days, 4 hours now but, I have been really feeling all out of sorts, or needing something for about a week now.
For the last 34 or so years I have had cig.'s to fill my time, they were always there for me. When I was bored, lonely, sad, happy, needing a break, whatever I was, they were with me. My life totally revolved around being able to smoke. So there were many things that I never did because I may not be able to smoke at my regulated time! Now that I am smoke free, I feel as tho there is something missing in my life. I don't feel the need to smoke, I just have a somewhat empty feeling.

This statement from Dave really helped. I think that I'm one of those people that need to make that concerted effort to find new interests.
'I think for many of us, this may be the biggest challenge of our quits, how to fill the void left by smoking. Obviously it can be done, look at John, Joanne, Marty, Grumps, et al, they did it. For some it may be an unconsious process where they naturally gravitate to new and different interests to fill the time. For others , we may have to make a concerted effort to re-mold our lives into something different. Maybe all we need is a hobby!!'

I have been reading thru this whole string I would strongly suggest it to anyone that is feeling kind of lost.
A girl I work with has tried quitting many times over the last few years. She always says that the first couple of weeks are easy, it is the 3rd and 4th that always kill her. She usually starts back smoking after about a month because she is so miserable. I sent her a link to this string. I wonder if what she has always been feeling is the 'I need something' and assumed it was a smoke that she needed? She says that she wants to give it another shot. I hope that she will take my advice and do some 'Lurking' in here before she tries again. I think that by eduacating myself prior to quitting made all the difference in the world for me. I was amazed how much easier it was this time. I know that I haven't been smoke free for months or years, I'm not even Green yet but I still love the new me. I'm so proud of myself for doing this.

I'm still taking it one day at a time and will Never Take Another Puff!
Cindy

Free and Healing for Twenty One Days, 4 Hours and 14 Minutes, while extending my life expectancy 1 Day and 6 Hours,
1 more day for my Grandkids!!!! (when I get them)