jennifer
jennifer

9:55 PM - Oct 10, 2003 #31

Hi this is something I also have had to deal with the wanting something but what do I want ? I know it is not now a smoke I now have an apple or an orange or bannana but six weeks ago I was heading for the sweetest things I could and guess what the kilos have gone on. But I am now able to deal with my eating and I am now watching what I am eating I could not have done this six weeks ago I was having a hard enough time hanging onto my quit without worrying about my weight gain but I am strong enough now to cope with both which I think is just fantastic I have been nicotine free for 2 months 3 weeks 18 hours and sooooo proud of myself

Parker GOLD
Parker GOLD

9:57 PM - Oct 10, 2003 #32

Oh, MareBear, that was lovely. You captured it. Thanks!

Parker - 490 days of freedom & healing

Mshiggins5272
Mshiggins5272

12:25 AM - Nov 07, 2003 #33

Thanks TJ,

This is exactly what I wanted to describe. I'm sending this back up because I think there are a lot of newbies like me who might be feeling the same way. Thanks.

Marisol

Jeff 74 Gold
Jeff 74 Gold

1:43 AM - Nov 07, 2003 #34

During the past ten days I have had so much time in the evenings and weekends that I have started reading. Reading is something that I never really enjoyed before. So far I have read:
Happiness it is a choice-A guide to depression
The Sky is falling By Sidney Sheldon
I am currently half way thru the New Testament of the Bible
Currently reading The Purpose Drive Life- A forty journey to happiness.
Currently reading- To Kill A Mocking Bird

QuitMelBaby
QuitMelBaby

5:37 PM - Jan 21, 2004 #35

Thank you for this thread - been having that missing something feeling but do not want a cig. I usually go outside (not too cold here) and take a big breath of fresh air.

Astonished04
Astonished04

2:45 PM - Feb 11, 2004 #36

I just discovered this thread, and it's wonderful! I couldn't quite get that "wanting something" into words, but this adds a lot of insight for the newbie. I wish I had "realized" this about 4 lbs. ago. BUT... I've only gained about 8, with a few left over from Christmas. Nowadays, I assume its chocolate when I "want something".

Anyway... This is great thread.

Carla - Free and Healing for One Month, Four Days, 2 Hours and 44 Minutes, while extending my life expectancy 4 Days and 3 Hours, by avoiding the use of 1194 nico-death sticks that would have set me back $152.45.

LilLulu814
LilLulu814

9:56 PM - Feb 12, 2004 #37

You hit the nail right on the head! I too feel as though "something" was missing but not sure what. I said as much to my boyfriend and he said, " its your cigarette thats missing", but thats not it. I dont' really want a cigarette, just "something", something to fill that void.

4cherbear
4cherbear

8:12 AM - Mar 14, 2004 #38

Hi All,
I just read this thread . I hope the person it was intended for has read to too. Boy, I haven't EVER been able to put into words that "want something " feeling. I agree it isn't always that "old feed of nicotine thing"...what I have been doing and it really seems to help ME is: I pour myself a glass of water...I step outside (no matter how cold) Close my eyes, take a long sip of the water... take a deep gulp of that cold air...exhale slowly...and say Thanks to my Higher Powder for air, water and the ability to feel the chillin' cold...then I run back inside and I feel soooo good.
Try it IF you're board and nothing else has worked. No calories...alittle extra air into those healing lungs AND it feels so good to come inside and get warm again
Love,
Cher&Bear
FREE 13 days

Norahs 332
Norahs 332

12:53 PM - Mar 14, 2004 #39

I am familiar with that "I want something" feeling. I've had it my whole life. Lately I know it's nicotene. but it could also be any of the other drugs I've given up. (Nicotene's the hardest!) Maybe it's just the love I never got as a child. I have been using water to fill the void, and tea... and sugar. I have gained some weight, but I'm not going to worry about it yet. A few extra pounds is a whole lot healthier than a few hundred extra chemicals!

Free and Healing for Twelve Days, 16 Hours and 40 Minutes, while extending my life expectancy 1 Day, by avoiding the use of 292 nicotine delivery devices that would have cost me $60.62.

Devla13
Devla13

6:54 AM - Apr 06, 2004 #40

A thread worth pondering...

Janet

160 days ago, I quit smoking to save my life. BTW, I've also saved $720.56 by not smoking 3,202 cigarettes.

Zylah Gold1
Zylah Gold1

2:17 AM - Apr 07, 2004 #41

This is interesting as I just popped in here to see if there was anything written about the whole "wanting" something thing. It's been 9 months and STILL sometimes i get the feeling. Except now instead of longing for that cigarette, i usually open the fridge door and stare at it.

I never end up eating anything.usually just get a lemon for my water (which is a good habit i picked up from this journey). Still though, it's strange how sometimes that feeling comes back. But now it's not affiated with smoking, just life.

Thanks for the article!

I have been quit for 9 Months, 3 Weeks, 1 Day, 10 hours, 47 minutes and 4 seconds (296 days). I have saved $741.11 by not smoking 2,964 cigarettes. I have saved 1 Week, 3 Days and 7 hours of my life.

HockyMa
HockyMa

8:40 PM - Apr 09, 2004 #42

I completely understand that "wanting something" - It's like a feeling of being unsatisfied but you don't know what will satisfy it.

John (Gold)
John (Gold)

9:03 PM - Apr 09, 2004 #43

There's one billion comfortable ex-smokers out there, HockyMa, and almost all will tell you the same thing - the key to satisfying that "something" is patience in returning home to "you!"
Patience One day at a time
Last edited by John (Gold) on 2:19 PM - Nov 15, 2009, edited 1 time in total.

whynotmee1
whynotmee1

5:07 AM - Jul 22, 2004 #44

This is a great post....seem like a good time to bring it to the front again.
I can't speak for every newbie, but as for myself I have felt this lost feeling everyday at one time or another... I've stood looking threw the kitchen cabinets, refrig, channel surfing, thinking to myself...I'm looking for something what in the world is it? I believe there is no one right answer, I'm just trying to fill that spot smoking use to fill.....SOC SILVER:MESSAGE #26 makes good sense to me. If you have the time, read threw these.
Thanks Dave!
DAsmoke-free:12 days

Parker GOLD
Parker GOLD

11:21 PM - Sep 01, 2004 #45

This is an important one to read if you are feeling troubled by that nagging something-is-missing feeling. We all felt it. We got through it. You will too. Comfort will come. I promise.

Parker - 26 months

K1k Harper Green
K1k Harper Green

12:13 AM - Sep 09, 2004 #46

..............i go through this same thing. i get up and stand there, anywhere, and think what do i want. it's not a cig.

smokers/and those who never smoked didn't understand me. i am glad i passed this way and read this post.

i printed a copy to show one person in paticular, that it is not just me, but something real happening in me. thanks.

harper

AssuredNewBren
AssuredNewBren

12:29 AM - Sep 09, 2004 #47

Wow. Great post. I have that feeling also, and I sometimes ask myself, do people who have never smoked feel this way? what do people who have never smoked do when they're tired or bored or just want to do nothing for a few minutes? Will this feeling eventually go away for me? I know it's gotten better over the weeks, but will I always feel this way?

5 weeks, 4 days, 8 hours, 58 minutes nicotine free!

freemom
freemom

7:14 AM - Oct 15, 2004 #48

I was just feeling this way tonight when I finished dinner. I needed "something". I did not want to smoke but I just needed "something". It is so nice to hear that other people understand what that means. So I got up from the table and came to the computer. I saw this thread and started reading. It filled that void. Thank you all so much. Now I can go back and clean up the dishes without needing to obsess.

9 days a free person.

Trisha
Trisha

8:33 AM - Oct 15, 2004 #49

Hello Everyone,
I am just taking my time to reply about hillbilly's post. I am on my 6th day quit and I just have to say that I thought that I was in control, I thought I had this thing licked, but I was way wrong if I thought I could beat this just like that. Last night I was seriously considering going out and buying a pack of cigarettes but I logged on here and read some post from all of you and realized how strong everyone s in here. I can be that strong. I am only 19 years old, and if I started back now where would that really lead? I know exactly where. I would go back to smoking, probably a little at first to prove I am in control, and I would probably end up smoking more than I ever did before, and I would spend the rest of my life trying to quit, one stupid habit. I truly wish that I never picked up a cigarette in my life, but I did and now I must live with that fact. I actually rolled up paper last night and pretended to be smoking, but I really want to get rid of the memories andthe thought of smoking. The point that I am trying to make is, Yes I want something, I want to know when this feeling of wanting a cigarette is going to end....does it ever end. I cant stand the thought of thinking about cigarettes for the rest of my life...Please help me...Im going crazy. Sorry to have taken up all of your time...Good Luck Everyone

I have been quit for 6 Days, 2 hours, 33 minutes and 45 seconds (6 days). I have saved $8.88 by not smoking 48 cigarettes. I have saved 4 hours of my life. My Quit Date: 10/8/2004

Conniesunshine
Conniesunshine

11:54 AM - Oct 15, 2004 #50

Trisha, there are lots of people that tell us these symptoms will end and that it gets easier. You are asking if the wanting will never end - it will if you stay off of them. How long? For me, day 1 was the hardest and then 2 and then 3. I remember at day 6 that it was more frustrating than at 2 weeks and 4 weeks is easier than at 2 weeks and so on. Its getting better all the time. I quit thinking about running out and getting the cigarettes at around week 3, not that I would have but I thought about it - after all I was a junkie and I'm still addicted.
Tomorrow is 6 weeks into my quit and I just thought that today I did not want a cigarette all day long. That's a first. 32 years of them makes for a long habit, so I feel good that I may be getting past wanting them.

After some weeks or months you may not have an urge to smoke for days at all. It depends on the person and how long you smoked and triggers and what you have decided to do.

The danger, as we are told, is when you think that you are safe enough that you can take just a puff or bum a cigarette just this once. Remember NTAP!

Trisha, you will do fine. Keep your mind on why you wanted to quit because that reason won't change. Take it one day at a time and look at the craves hard and think how they are bothersome now but they will be gone and your lungs can work on being clean and healthy. You are strong and will win!!!

I have been quit for 1 Month, 1 Week, 3 Days, 23 hours, 53 minutes and 48 seconds (40 days). I have saved $122.98 by not smoking 819 cigarettes. I have saved 2 Days, 20 hours and 15 minutes of my life. My Quit Date: 9/3/2004

Parker GOLD
Parker GOLD

2:09 AM - Oct 23, 2004 #51

The wise words of Mrs. Triple-Gold Toast......

I'd say the "I want .... something" during the 2, 3, 4 month or so was a surprise to me ... usually, it was wanting to step out on the porch and to have a smoke .... that was something I did several times a day, and so I can't be surprised that I noticed myself not doing it!

But do you know what I remember from before I ever smoked??? I remember having that "I want .... something" feeling too. I think maybe some of that has to do being young and not being adept or experienced enough yet to know and name my desires. Maybe smoking plugged that hole some ... giving me something I could "choose" for myself whenever I wanted - didn't depend on anyone else's vote (just my falling nicotine levels). Maybe smoking plugged that hole a little too by numbing out my emotions and making any deep inspection of my satisfaction or dissatisfaction less urgent sometimes.

Maybe once we get past the initial high drama of quitting smoking - the physical sensations, the most pressing psychological triggers, etc. - we rediscover a little bit of us that's waited stuck all those years for a chance to say, "Hey, I want ... something." And now, rather than it being about smoking, we get a chance to realize it's really about growing up, learning to know and name and act responsibly upon our desires.

LoneNYMom
LoneNYMom

8:05 AM - Nov 04, 2004 #52

Dear Dave,
I know what you're talking about. After the first 72 hours, the biggest challenge has been filling my "smoking" time with other activities. When I am bored or I'm finished doing something (when it's slow at work, or I'm finished doing a chore at home etc.) is when I think about having a smoke. I keep reminding myself of how poorly I felt when I was smoking and how tough the first 2-3 days of my quit was. I tell myself that the rest is just a matter of giving myself time to learn how to live this new life without smoking.
Jeanette-

---
1 week, 2 days, 21 hours & 27 minutes smoke-free, 128 cigarettes not smoked, $44.80 saved, 10 hours & 40 minutes of my life saved. My quit date is October 24, 2004.

11:19 AM - Nov 04, 2004 #53

Sometimes that Something is something so normal.
As nicotine addicts we have a few things to re-learn about that Something feeling, and sometimes they include:
Recognizing needs

Sal
Last edited by Sal GOLD.ffn on 2:24 PM - Nov 15, 2009, edited 1 time in total.

Starshinegrl Gold
Starshinegrl Gold

3:18 AM - Feb 13, 2005 #54

one of my many favourites ...

Yes, sometimes, the inner junkie tries to tell us that we want a fix ... but do we? The more we listen to our real selves, the more we are going to find out what we really want each time we are confronted with the junkie in us. It never is nicotine.

Gitte
78 days and a bit

FreeBillie61
FreeBillie61

6:57 PM - Oct 12, 2005 #55

Gitte just suggested this thread for me. Thanks! It's so true and applies so much to what I've been feeling in the past few days, I thought I'd bring it up for any other new people (or oldies to remember!) to read.

It's such a help to find that what I'm feeling is perfectly normal, and that in time it will pass.

Billie

Free and healing for 2 Weeks, 3 Days, 12 hours, 24 minutes and 28 seconds (17 days). I have saved € 54,29 by not smoking 350 cigarettes. I have saved 1 Day, 5 hours and 10 minutes of my life.