I Want "Something"

Retraining the conscious mind
SweetLorraine (Gold)

03 Aug 2002, 22:38 #11

Hi Dave,

One of the things that I liked about smoking was the instant reward (sick reward - but none the less) instant gratification of desire. Long after falling nicotine levels were over with memories of the "aaah" feeling would surface (triggers).

Everyone's quit is different my choices wouldn't necessarily work for anyone else. I will say that not smoking is a lot more effort in the beginning, part of that work is figuring out what you are feeling, what you want and what you need/want to do about it.

Now rather than smoking when I'm tired I rest, when I'm upset I take deep slow breaths and try to put things in perspective, if I'm angry I may yell or scrub something or go for a walk, when I'm hungry I eat. When I want a little reward for work well done I might read a chapter in a good book or play a game. Everything I ever did as a smoker I now do and do better. But all of these responses had to be learned because each of those situations used to be automatic signals to smoke.

Maybe this is way more than you had in mind. For me smoking had invaded every aspect of my life and once exorcised life is simpler and much more real.

yqf

Lorraine

Celebrating 9 months 3 weeks and 2 days of Freedom!
Last edited by SweetLorraine (Gold) on 28 Mar 2009, 19:48, edited 1 time in total.

Ruth Ann ( Green x 2 )

03 Aug 2002, 23:09 #12

Dave...Thank you for this thread!

Once again I get on line and stumble right to a thread that is just what I need at the moment.....I've had some rough spots when I've come here to post for help, but I haven't because I find the help through others posts....The void or wanting something is often an issue with me.....Thanks to all who posted here..you've given me alot of new insight into this subject.............Also thanks to Kiwi..I've wondered the same thing about being manic-depressive!! Now I don't feel alone in that...Whew...(unless we both really are! Image) LOL..........

Ya"ll have a great week-end!!!
Ruth Ann
NOT A PUFF FOR 4 Weeks 1 Day 23 Hours 58 Seconds

StrosinGOLD1

04 Aug 2002, 23:22 #13

Hi Dave!

Yes, this is a wonderful thread.....Marty, thank you for directing me here. Initially I was afraid of this "sensation" wondering if junkie thinking was about to take me over.

Melissa, I admire your "overdrive" as you nailed the big picture when you wrote, "And now, rather than it being about smoking, we get a chance to realize it's really about growing up, learning to know and name and act responsibly upon our desires."
That says it all!

YQS
Sharon
Nicotine free for 1 Month 6 Days 12 Hours 21 Minutes 51 Seconds

Lilac (Bronze)

05 Aug 2002, 01:44 #14

Just wanted to add to a post I left several days ago. My "somethings" occurr much less often and are less troublesome. in the last three days. I wanted to take this opportunity to thank you, Hillbilly, for the quick response you posted to me during a very low moment for me. I was in a desert and suddenly there was a friend, there, telling me of the oasis just around the next dune.. And sure enough the oasis was there.. Won't ever forget that, Lilac

RIVERDOGgold

05 Aug 2002, 04:59 #15

Yup, I've been "wantin something". Unfortunalety my insurance doesn't cover a lobotomy. So the next best remedy for this brain is the group at Freedom and my cold turkey quit.

Had that feeling Sunday (today). Actually a little bit right now... and most days still. But life goes on and perhaps the "wanting" will be less tomorrow.

Mike, 22 days, 660 smokes

CdnpheonixGold

15 Aug 2002, 02:51 #16

Hi Hillbilly Dave!
This post really touched home with me a couple of weeks ago when I first got to FREEDOM. Now that I know how to get around a bit better I've managed to find it and read it again. Still touchin' so I'm bringing it up so more people can be amazed by your insite.
As always . . . in awe,
YQS
C
3W 16h 15m 44s (-650 cigarettes)
Last edited by CdnpheonixGold on 28 Mar 2009, 19:47, edited 1 time in total.

Hillbilly(Gold)

15 Aug 2002, 02:55 #17

Glad it helped, C. To me it's just more of my rattlin' around in my own head. :-)

Lilac (Bronze)

15 Aug 2002, 03:26 #18

Dear C,

Did anyone ever tell you and surely they did, that you are a very remarkable young lady-------Your passionate committment to non smoking and to the forum is something very special.

LIlac

CdnpheonixGold

15 Aug 2002, 03:44 #19

Right back atcha Lilac!

Love, Peace, & Freedom
YQS
C

Toast (GOLD )

03 Oct 2002, 19:31 #20

Image This good 'un was mentioned in another thread, and I thought it was about time it showed up on the main board again.