I've tried everything to quit and nothing works

I've tried everything to quit and nothing works

Joel

16 Mar 2002, 20:18 #1

For people who are a bit concerned that it is impossible for you to quit because you tried "all the other ways" before, don't sweat it. It is usually that you tried a bunch of other ways that by their own limitations had a lousy chance of success. Even the cold-turkey you tried, if it was without a true understanding of the addiction and what you were fighting had severe limitations. It wasn't that your ability to quit didn't exist, your techniques or preparation were just not methods that a true drug addiction was going to be respond to. If you follow our advice and everybody's lead here, this quit will be different.

Here is an article you will find of particular interest on that issue:
How Does Your Program Compare To...

"How does your program compare to hypnosis or acupuncture?" "Do you know anything about the single session treatment program advertised on the radio?" "I hear they have in patient treatment program at another hospital, what do you think of that for quitting smoking?" "My doctor said I should try nicotine gum, do you agree?" "I hear there are programs which promise no withdrawal or weight gain." "How about the shock treatments with money back guarantees?" "Why should I choose you over the free program offered at...?" Almost daily we will receive calls asking at least one of these questions. It seems everyone wants us to compare what we do with that of other "treatment" strategies. While the specific questions vary, my advice is inevitably the same. If you are considering us or another program, go to them first.

People seem to be surprised at this advice. I think some wonder whether or not I am receiving a kickback from the other organization. But money is not the factor influencing the advice to seek help elsewhere before attempting us. Or maybe they think I can't defend our program over the other "proven" method. This assumption is also incorrect. Why then, am I willingly turning away potential customers to the local competition?

Anyone who has gone through our clinic will attest that participation in our program requires a 100% effort and commitment to attempt quitting. That is not to say that every participant must know before hand that he is going to stop. The person must be resolved to the fact that he will try as hard as he can to stop for just two weeks, a day at a time. Then, once past the initial withdrawal syndrome, he can decide whether or not he truly wishes to smoke. We want him to reach the point where he has a free choice. But he must base his decision on his true options, smoke nothing or everything, there is no in-between.

Anyone coming into our program with a backup method in mind, is not normally willing to give the 100% necessary to break the initial grip. When things start getting tough, which they almost inevitable do, the person just throws in the towel and takes a puff with the idea that it is no big loss, he will just try the other program next time. But his assessment is grossly mistaken - taking that first puff may very well be the biggest mistakes he ever made in his life - one that may in fact cost him his life. He may never again have the desire, strength, or opportunity to quit again.

What of his hypothesis that the other program will probably work better for him? Well, let it suffice to say, that when I suggest that a smoker goes to another program to quit before coming to ours, I am not really worried about losing potential income. I am just postponing when I may actually meet and work with the individual. In fact, the odds are, our price will increase significantly by that time and they are usually willing to pay. In the interim, they spent hundreds to thousands of dollars trying all these magical programs or feeding their addiction.

But money is not the major factor which needs to be considered. Smoking an extra five years, 10 months, or even a few weeks carries a potential risk. You just don't know which cigarette may be the one to initiate an irreversible process, such as cancer or a fatal heart attack or stroke. Every day you puff these risks remain high. But the day you stop, you begin to reduce your risks, and eventually, they can drop to that of a person who never smoked a day in his life. Then, to keep your risk as low as possible and to never again have to go through the quitting process, simply - NEVER TAKE ANOTHER PUFF!

[font=ARIAL, GEORGIA, 'TIMES NEW ROMAN', TIMES, SERIF]Link to original thread: [/font]I've tried everything to quit and nothing works

Edited February 11, 2014 to add in related videos:

Last edited by Joel on 13 Feb 2014, 17:11, edited 2 times in total.

mirigirl (silver)

16 Mar 2002, 22:34 #2

Well Joel - I'm one of those folks - and I think there might be a few of us around hereImage - who has tried everything! I've tried:
  • quit smoking tapes
  • one on one counselling and hypnosis
  • mass/group hypnosis
  • commerical companies that charge a fortune
  • acupuncture
  • self-help books
  • nicotine replacement therapy/patches/gum......
  • internet e-books
  • various support groups
  • public hospital based treatment programs
  • listening to tapes while in a float tank
  • and it just goes on and on........
Actually when I think about the money I've spent on trying to quit smoking it is probably nearly as much as what I've spent on smoking! (Well not really but it feels like it) God - I'm shocked now even to look at this list of things I've tried. It has all been so tortuous.

And feel a bit sad for myself that I have been so terrified of quitting cold turkey - I really bought the propaganda that it would be **** on earth! With education, support and the truth about myself as a nicotine addict, I can't say it's been easy but it has been truely liberating. Today I love knowing that I Never Have to Take Another Puff!

And it's totally Free! Thanks Freedom.

yqs mirigirl

another nicotine addict

Two months, one week, six days, 1 hour, 40 minutes and 37 seconds Free

1876 cigarettes not smoked, saving $675.63. Life saved: 6 days, 12 hours, 20 minutes.

Joel

16 Mar 2002, 23:37 #3

Hello Mirigirl:

Considering all you have tried in the past, I thought you'd appreciate the one handout I give the first day of my clinics.

Joel
Welcome to our Stop Smoking Clinic
By the time you walk out of this room tonight, you will have a better understanding of why you smoke and why you should quit. But understanding alone will not make smoking go away. Smoking is a true form of drug addiction, and, if you are going to beat it, you will have to treat it as such.

If you really want to quit, you will have to totally abstain from smoking from day one. Beating cigarettes will require a 100% effort on your part. Considering that you may be fighting for your life, it's worth the trouble. Giving a 99.9% effort will be a guaranteed failure. If you think we are joking or exaggerating our position on cold turkey-think again. If you take a puff anytime in the next 24 hours, we don't want you to return tomorrow. You can lie when asked if you smoked or not, but the loss will be yours. You are not ready for this clinic and you will be wasting your time and if you are not an Evanston resident you are throwing away your money foolishly. In all probability, you will need that money to support your addiction. Again, if you are non-Evanston resident, the $125 should get you through a month or more of cigarettes. Maybe you think there is some other program that will treat you kinder, be more tolerant and let you smoke between sessions. Just go to your local yellow pages, you will find numerous programs that will be glad to take your money.

Some will be cut down programs, others will say cold turkey but tell you not to let a slip discourage you. Some will offer hypnosis or acupuncture, others will be mysterious and elusive of specific therapy and costs, but will promise medical treatments taking away all withdrawal. They will all be very friendly, courteous, and much more accommodating than we are. If you are looking for a promise for an easy way out, go to any of them. If you have thousands of dollars of spare cash you wish to dispose of, try them all.

As long as you feel that there is some magic approach out there taking away all of the effort and responsibility from yourself, you are not ready to make the commitment necessary to succeed in our program. If, on the other hand, you have tried all the alternatives, or you are realistic enough to recognize that you are an addict, and you totally refrain from smoking for the next 24 hours, you are ready for our program. We will help you beat your addiction. We will offer you all the help humanly possible. But the ultimate success or failure is your responsibility.

If you have any problems, questions, or just want to say hello, you can call me 24 hours a day on my digital pager. But please call before taking a puff. You can call after you take a puff, but all I will say then is that you blew it, you are back to square one, and think about joining another clinic in the future. Since you already know what I will say, save the 35 cents for the call and put it toward your next pack.

Good luck through your first day. Again, if I can be of any assistance, don't hesitate to call. We are out there behind you. We look forward to seeing you tomorrow.

mirigirl (silver)

17 Mar 2002, 07:11 #4

Yes! Thank You ~ yqs mirigirl

Joel

17 May 2002, 20:42 #5

For people looking at quitting cold as a last ditch or last chance effort. It may not be your last chance--you may get plenty of future opportunities to try over and over again using alternate approaches, and failing over and over again only to try again another day. Again, going cold may not be your last chance but it very likely is going to be your best chance. The logic is so simple it is almost laughable to put down in writing--if you want to quit smoking all you have to do is to quit smoking. You don't need to take anything else. Just stop delivering nicotine and know from this point on that to stay smoke free only requires remembering to never take another puff!

Joel

Edited February 11, 2014 to include new related videos:

I've tried everything to quit smoking and nothing works!
Are you ready for Freedom?
Last edited by Joel on 13 Feb 2014, 15:18, edited 1 time in total.

Joel

05 Jan 2004, 11:28 #6

I see we have some new members who have tried many times to quit in the past. Don't be discouraged and think that you are destined to fail because of those past attempts. You have an understanding of something this time that you did not know or believe those other times--the addictive nature of nicotine and what you need to do to get control over the addiction and to keep control over it. If you stick to your personal commitment this time your quit and long-term success are assured, as long as that commitment is to never take another puff! Joel

Joel

24 Aug 2004, 21:33 #7

While the original article here was in reference to my live clinics, almost every word is as true and applicable for people participating here at Freedom. The only part that doesn't apply is any perception of income motive for us here at Freedom. We have nothing to gain and nothing to lose if people decide on pursuing alternative approaches other than what we are advocating here at Freedom. Every person reading here has a lot to gain or a lot to lose depending on the outcome of his or her individual quit. If you want to gain the benefits of a successful quit and have the process end up costing you nothing simply make the commitment and stick with the commitment to never take another puff!

Joel

Joel

04 Oct 2004, 09:04 #8

I saw the issue was just raised about another "cutting edge" treatment for smoking cessation. We are dealing with a drug addiction here. People do not need to spend any money on a magical or high tech therapy to get free or to stay free from cigarettes. The only thing that a person really has to do to break free from nicotine is simply to make a commitment and stick to that commitment to never take another puff!

Joel

Joel

09 Apr 2008, 20:57 #9

I used to be uncomfortable popping this one up often because I was afraid that people would think that I was using it in some way to promote my live clinics. I don't have these reservations any more because for all practical purposes, I no longer do live clinics. Once I made the video lessons I realized that there was no real need to put people through the inconvenience and expense to travel to get to one of my programs, whether they lived a few blocks away or half the world away.

Joel's Video Quit Smoking Lessons
Last edited by Joel on 13 Feb 2014, 16:38, edited 1 time in total.

Joel Spitzer

13 Feb 2014, 15:19 #10

New video related to this topic:

I've tried everything to quit smoking and nothing works!

Also, previous video related to topic: Are you ready for Freedom?

Link to original thread: I've tried everything to quit and nothing works
Last edited by Joel Spitzer on 13 Feb 2014, 17:05, edited 1 time in total.