I tried Freedom once, why bother trying again

John (Gold)
John (Gold)

October 4th, 2001, 7:23 pm #26

I could relapse but Freedom never will. I was dependent upon nicotine for more than 30 years prior to Freedom's creation and I'll always remain just one puff of nicotine away from returning to at least three packs a day. Freedom has nothing whatsoever to do with the fact that my addiction keeps me just one step away from returning to my endless cycle of nicotine feedings.

Joanne Gold
Joanne Gold

December 3rd, 2001, 10:29 pm #27

Joel
Joel

December 31st, 2001, 12:09 pm #28

I know with New Years just around the corner, thoughts of many people currently smoking may turn to quitting. Some of those people may be past members. Just thought I'd put this up to make them know that they are welcome and to make sure that they realize that they can in fact succeed this time forever if they learn from their past experience. The one lesson they need to learn this time is to never take another puff!

Joel

John (Gold)
John (Gold)

April 2nd, 2002, 12:50 am #29

Freedom is a Tool
As a tool it can not take credit for those who choose to use it, nor is it responsible for those who don't! Knowledge is power!
Support is too! They say, "To keep it, you need to give it away!"

Joel
Joel

July 2nd, 2002, 7:00 am #30

I see we have a few members returning today. John put up a post saying that there is no legitmate excuse for relapsing. This statement is 100% true. That last relapse was one of the worst mistakes a quitter had ever made in his or her life. There are only two mistakes now that are likely to carry as much of a life threatening implication in the future for these people. One is not quitting again--the other is quitting again and allowing another lame excuse to cause another relapse. Once again--there are only two legitimate reasons to take a puff after you have quit.

1) You want to go back to smoking until it cripples or kills you.
or
2) You enjoy withdrawal so much you never want it to end. If this is the case just take one puff every third day for the rest of your life. Withdrawal will last forever.

Welcome back all of our past members. Make this quit different--make it the one that sticks. It will be the one that works as long as you always remember what happened last time and remember this time to never take another puff!

Joel

Joel
Joel

August 17th, 2002, 4:09 am #31

I see we have a few members returning today. John put up a post saying that there is no legitmate excuse for relapsing. This statement is 100% true. That last relapse was one of the worst mistakes a quitter had ever made in his or her life. There are only two mistakes now that are likely to carry as much of a life threatening implication in the future for these people. One is not quitting again--the other is quitting again and allowing another lame excuse to cause another relapse. Once again--there are only two legitimate reasons to take a puff after you have quit.

1) You want to go back to smoking until it cripples or kills you.
or
2) You enjoy withdrawal so much you never want it to end. If this is the case just take one puff every third day for the rest of your life. Withdrawal will last forever.

Welcome back all of our past members. Make this quit different--make it the one that sticks. It will be the one that works as long as you always remember what happened last time and remember this time to never take another puff!

Joel

John (Gold)
John (Gold)

September 13th, 2002, 12:55 am #32

Freedom is a tool and like any other tool it can never take credit for being used or the blame for not being used. The knowledge imparted here is like any other knowledge, it's meaningless until put to work. Unlike all the quick fix magic quitting cures, information and knowledge can not fail us, only we can do that! If you relapse then "you" relapsed, not Freedom. If you succeed then "you" succeeded, and we just had the wonderful opportunity to share that amazing journey with you : )

Joel
Joel

September 18th, 2002, 10:32 am #33

Joel
Joel

October 13th, 2002, 9:45 pm #34

Joel
Joel

October 13th, 2002, 10:21 pm #35

I realize that we need to attach an additional comment to this one. Members need to know that if they relapse they are putting their health annd their lives in jeopardy. Sometimes a person will relapse and may quit again and maybe avert any real noticeable further impairment or life threatening consequences. But trying to find out if you will be one of these lucky ones is like playing a game of Russian roulette.

Now as this article addresses, if a person relapses he or she can come back to Freedom and WhyQuit to learn again. But we need to make it clear that it is in no longer a guarantee that he or she will be allowed to actively post again. If a member starts having a string of relapses after being a member, it is apparent that he or she has not been taking his or her Freedom seriously enough since joining.

Sure we have a lot of people who have had past histories of one failed attempt after another before every finding Freedom or WhyQuit. This is understandable since these people were coming from a very uninformed and uneducated background in the field of nicotine addiction and cessation techniques. But once a person joins in here he or she has indicated that he or she is now educated about the nicotine addiction--considering our application process clearly spells out that we want people to read thoroughly through our introductory pages that gives the person a real clear understanding of who we are and what we expect of our members.

Joining up at Freedom comes with a promise that the member is committed to never put nicotine into his or her body again. Hopefully the member is making the promise for his or her own sake even more than for the honor of being a member of Freedom. A relapse is a clear violation of that promise. While the smoker may be able to just accept the relapse as just one of those things, we are not necessarily going to be so understanding. If a person relapses after joining, there is a chance that he or she may be let back in as a member with posting privileges. But there is a chance that he or she may not be.

Factors that will be weighed into the decision is how long he or she had quit for in the past with Freedom, the quality of his or her past participation, and whether or not we see anything in the application clearly indicating that the person is somehow different than he or she was before.

But anyone who has relapsed more than twice since joining, and for the record there are few people percentage wise who today fit this criteria, the odds of being allowed back in for posting are quite slim. While we have made a few exceptions to this, and again that the number is very few indeed, the odds of future exceptions are getting increasingly smaller.

Bottom line message here, if you really like your Freedom, do everything in your power to protect this quit. I am talking about Freedom from Tobacco as well as Freedom from having to constantly feed your nicotine addiction and slowly destroying your body. To stay a member in good standing with us and more importantly, to have a healthier and higher quality of life always stay focused on the promise that you have made to never take another puff!

Pelican1(Bronze)
Pelican1(Bronze)

October 13th, 2002, 11:10 pm #36

To Joel
I read th message loud and clear, hard to swallow, but thats what it takes to stay nicotene free, I am going to do whatever is neccasary to stay clean.
Going for now, but you will see me in here reading and talking and replying to messages and postings I plan on being a live in
One day at a time never take another puff
Thankyou,
Dee

Joel
Joel

October 13th, 2002, 11:17 pm #37

This message has been deleted by the manager or assistant manager.

Joel
Joel

October 13th, 2002, 11:19 pm #38

Glad to hear it Dee. Again taking a firm and harsh stand is necessary for your quit to last. I am not referring to our firm and harsh stance either--I am referring to your own commitment to yourself. I hope that all who are reading this realize that they are here because they have made the same choice and promise to themselves too, that no matter what happens throughout their lives they are staying committed to never take another puff!

Joel

Joel
Joel

October 21st, 2002, 9:16 pm #39

Recommend (0 recommendations so far) Delete Message 35 of 38 in Discussion
I realize that we need to attach an additional comment to this one. Members need to know that if they relapse they are putting their health annd their lives in jeopardy. Sometimes a person will relapse and may quit again and maybe avert any real noticeable further impairment or life threatening consequences. But trying to find out if you will be one of these lucky ones is like playing a game of Russian roulette.

Now as this article addresses, if a person relapses he or she can come back to Freedom and WhyQuit to learn again. But we need to make it clear that it is in no longer a guarantee that he or she will be allowed to actively post again. If a member starts having a string of relapses after being a member, it is apparent that he or she has not been taking his or her Freedom seriously enough since joining.

Sure we have a lot of people who have had past histories of one failed attempt after another before every finding Freedom or WhyQuit. This is understandable since these people were coming from a very uninformed and uneducated background in the field of nicotine addiction and cessation techniques. But once a person joins in here he or she has indicated that he or she is now educated about the nicotine addiction--considering our application process clearly spells out that we want people to read thoroughly through our introductory pages that gives the person a real clear understanding of who we are and what we expect of our members.

Joining up at Freedom comes with a promise that the member is committed to never put nicotine into his or her body again. Hopefully the member is making the promise for his or her own sake even more than for the honor of being a member of Freedom. A relapse is a clear violation of that promise. While the smoker may be able to just accept the relapse as just one of those things, we are not necessarily going to be so understanding. If a person relapses after joining, there is a chance that he or she may be let back in as a member with posting privileges. But there is a chance that he or she may not be.

Factors that will be weighed into the decision is how long he or she had quit for in the past with Freedom, the quality of his or her past participation, and whether or not we see anything in the application clearly indicating that the person is somehow different than he or she was before.

But anyone who has relapsed more than twice since joining, and for the record there are few people percentage wise who today fit this criteria, the odds of being allowed back in for posting are quite slim. While we have made a few exceptions to this, and again that the number is very few indeed, the odds of future exceptions are getting increasingly smaller.

Bottom line message here, if you really like your Freedom, do everything in your power to protect this quit. I am talking about Freedom from Tobacco as well as Freedom from having to constantly feed your nicotine addiction and slowly destroying your body. To stay a member in good standing with us and more importantly, to have a healthier and higher quality of life always stay focused on the promise that you have made to never take another puff!

Joel
Joel

November 19th, 2002, 11:59 am #40

For Pelican:

A reminder from last month.

Also this one needs to be updated to include our new policy:
Freedom's Relapse Policy
Freedom's relapse policy is simple. Once we understand the law of addiction it deprives us of any legitimate excuse for relapse. Any member who intentionally relapses will permanently lose posting privileges.
NEVER TAKE ANOTHER PUFF

Joel
Joel

February 28th, 2003, 9:18 am #41

I feel bad not being able to use this post much any more. Our relapse policy kind of makes this post outdated for if a member relapses they can't post at Freedom any more. Although if a person relapses they can still utilize all the information that Freedom and WhyQuit.com has to offer, so the post is not totally useless.

A comment was raised this evening of how could a person who has learned about nicotine addiction ever go back to smoking. This letter explains how, they get complacent or cocky and just think that they can now control it. People start to feel so good and so strong that there is just no way that they could go back to smoking. Well the fact is there is one way that any of our members and any lurker and any one who never sees our site can go back to smoking and that is by believing that they can take a puff without relapsing. They will be wrong and time will prove this point to them. There is no guarantee that they will ever have the strength, desire or opportunity to undo that mistake and it may be a mistake that one day costs the person his or her life.

There is in fact only one way to be able to stay a member, at least as far as smoking status goes and that is by always knowing that the only way to keep your membership and more importantly, the only way to keep this quit alive and you with it is to stay totally committed to never take another puff!

Joel

Joel
Joel

March 4th, 2003, 11:45 pm #42

I need to bring this one up again for a new member. But I need to attach the comment below again for obvious reasons.
Sent: 2/27/2003 7:18 PM
I feel bad not being able to use this post much any more. Our relapse policy kind of makes this post outdated for if a member relapses they can't post at Freedom any more. Although if a person relapses they can still utilize all the information that Freedom and WhyQuit.com has to offer, so the post is not totally useless.

A comment was raised this evening of how could a person who has learned about nicotine addiction ever go back to smoking. This letter explains how, they get complacent or cocky and just think that they can now control it. People start to feel so good and so strong that there is just no way that they could go back to smoking. Well the fact is there is one way that any of our members and any lurker and any one who never sees our site can go back to smoking and that is by believing that they can take a puff without relapsing. They will be wrong and time will prove this point to them. There is no guarantee that they will ever have the strength, desire or opportunity to undo that mistake and it may be a mistake that one day costs the person his or her life.

There is in fact only one way to be able to stay a member, at least as far as smoking status goes and that is by always knowing that the only way to keep your membership and more importantly, the only way to keep this quit alive and you with it is to stay totally committed to never take another puff!

Joel

Joel
Joel

April 26th, 2003, 8:06 pm #43

I need to bring this one up again for a new member. But I need to attach the comment below again for obvious reasons.

Joel

Joel
Joel

December 11th, 2003, 2:05 am #44

Joel

Joel
Joel

March 11th, 2004, 9:54 pm #45

The question is sometimes aksed of how could a person who has learned about nicotine addiction ever go back to smoking. This letter explains how, they get complacent or cocky and just think that they can now control it. People start to feel so good and so strong that there is just no way that they could go back to smoking. Well the fact is there is one way that any of our members and any lurker and any one who never sees our site can go back to smoking and that is by believing that they can take a puff without relapsing. They will be wrong and time will prove this point to them. There is no guarantee that they will ever have the strength, desire or opportunity to undo that mistake and it may be a mistake that one day costs the person his or her life.

Joel

johnny L irish
johnny L irish

March 12th, 2004, 11:43 am #46

Thanks for that important reminder, Joel. I really appreciated it. We need to remember what awaits us "back there." One puff? and I'm history. No doubt about it.

Johnny

3W 5D 21H 39m 54s, or, 26 days as the flies.

Joel
Joel

September 28th, 2004, 8:00 pm #47

The question is sometimes aksed of how could a person who has learned about nicotine addiction ever go back to smoking. This letter explains how, they get complacent or cocky and just think that they can now control it. People start to feel so good and so strong that there is just no way that they could go back to smoking. Well the fact is there is one way that any of our members and any lurker and any one who never sees our site can go back to smoking and that is by believing that they can take a puff without relapsing. They will be wrong and time will prove this point to them. There is no guarantee that they will ever have the strength, desire or opportunity to undo that mistake and it may be a mistake that one day costs the person his or her life.

Joel

Joel
Joel

September 28th, 2004, 8:03 pm #48

Joel

Just to avoid any confusion, all members should read the post
Good news, our members don't relapse anymore...

Joel
Joel

December 8th, 2004, 6:56 pm #49

Joel

Just to avoid any confusion, all members should read the post
Good news, our members don't relapse anymore...

Joel
Joel

May 18th, 2005, 9:06 pm #50

Joel

Just to avoid any confusion, all members should read the post Good news, our members don't relapse anymore...