"I think I have decided to go back to smoking"

December 7th, 2006, 11:13 pm #31

For anyone fixating on "a cigarette." Smoking "a cigarette" or just taking a drag is tantamount to relapsing to an addiction to thousands of cigarettes a year, tens of thousands of cigarettes over a decade and hundreds of thousands of cigarettes over a shortened lifetime. It also translates into ruined health and a quality impaired life. It means smelling like a cigarette, and facing chronic withdrawals. Remember cigarettes for what they were and what they were going to do to you over time and you will never question your desire to never take another puff!
Joel

March 18th, 2007, 12:51 am #32

A great way of looking at things

September 10th, 2007, 12:04 am #33

I saw where a member wrote in two posts that she almost lost her quits. I am going to assume that this wording meant that she almost decided to smoke. This string and the post "I made a conscious decision to smoke" seem appropriate to bring up in lieu of this thought. They could have been written as "I almost made a conscious decision to smoke," or "I almost decided to go back to smoking." The same commentary in both strings would still apply.
Last edited by Joel on June 30th, 2009, 1:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

January 23rd, 2008, 8:52 pm #34

Video and audio file that ties into this string:
Video Title
Dial-Up
HS/BB
Audio
MP3*
Length
Added
Who wants to go back to smoking?
3.22mb
07:05
09/28/06

* New format that should work for people who have been unable to access our audio/video files in the past.

February 8th, 2008, 11:59 am #35

Joel, 18 days for me!!!!!!!!!and I was just checking out the messages and saw this one stating I think I'm going to go back. I had to read it and then came to this video. I am just living with this one day at a time right now, but I am pretty convinced that with what I have learned and keep learning daily... this guy will never have that urge again. I was one of these sickos that WOULD go through ashtrays and garbage cans! Looking back ........ I can't believe it. Anyways thank you for every one of my 18 days. Its like your right here in my home with me if I need you :<)

September 1st, 2008, 9:40 am #36

Very timely for me-Having a tough time, really tough day yesterday.
Peace
Jeff

November 18th, 2008, 1:32 pm #37

I saw where a member wrote in two posts that she almost lost her quits. I am going to assume that this wording meant that she almost decided to smoke. This string and the post "I made a conscious decision to smoke" seem appropriate to bring up in lieu of this thought. They could have been written as "I almost made a conscious decision to smoke," or "I almost decided to go back to smoking." The same commentary in both strings would still apply.

January 23rd, 2009, 4:01 pm #38

I noticed some of the posts on this recovery board have not been viewed by any member since we moved our site. This post had no views yet. Now it is possible that new members are reading the materials at www.whyquit.com which is great. There are however numerous articles that we had at the old MSN board and now also at this new site that are not at the www.whyquit.com website. I will try to pop a few up a day for new members, but I do encourage people first joining to to through the boards that we have set up here and read through the articles. The more you read and understand, the more prepared you will be to stick to your personal commitment to never take another puff.

Joel

August 31st, 2009, 1:07 am #39

WOW!! Exactly what I needed today. Its scary what your junkie mind will try to do to you.
Thanks Freedom!!

February 23rd, 2010, 6:40 pm #40

I noticed some of the posts on this recovery board have not been viewed by any member since we moved our site. This post had no views yet. Now it is possible that new members are reading the materials at www.whyquit.com which is great. There are however numerous articles that we had at the old MSN board and now also at this new site that are not at the www.whyquit.com website. I will try to pop a few up a day for new members, but I do encourage people first joining to to through the boards that we have set up here and read through the articles. The more you read and understand, the more prepared you will be to stick to your personal commitment to never take another puff.

Joel

January 16th, 2011, 2:20 pm #41

"By forgetting the medical and psychological dangers associated with cigarette use, you may inadvertently strengthen the side which wishes to take one puff. This often results in more frequent urges of much greater intensity and duration...Never fixate on how nice one puff would be. You no longer have one puff as an option."

This was exactly the state I was in last night, and I got through another day.  I couldn't even "explain" to myself "why" I could not smoke, I just had to refrain from doing it -without negotiating with myself.  I distract myself, or turn my mind away from the subject - just to get through another minute. 

I am in the 16th day of my quit.  Past my 12th day, I started to feel such relief that it was not such a conscious struggle any more.  Then, last night, I went out to dinner with 2 family members who smoke.  They were courteous to not smoke around me, but the association was so strong....the association of them being my "smoking buddies."   I felt depressed while driving home - feeling alone and without companionship - like I could no longer be with my family members who smoke, without feeling torturous urges.  

Everything I have read here says it gets easier, confronting new associations makes them weaker.  Knowing all that, last night was still a hard one, or maybe just a new one for ME.  I have no doubt everyone on this site has had the same feelings of loss.  I have to learn how to replace that loss with happiness.  I am still learning how - and getting through it one day at a time, knowing that one puff is absolutely out of the question - even if I cannot rationally understand it at the moment.  This site got me through a cold turkey quit - and everything written here was true during that withdrawal so I choose to believe that everything else is truth also - especially to never, ever take another puff. 

If anyone has helpful ideas about how to be with smoking family members and not feel down or dejected, I am all ears. 
Thank you -everyone - for such helpful information here. 
Lisa (Mandevilla is a flower)

January 16th, 2011, 3:14 pm #42

The Palmolive Bottle Demonstration
Another slant on how to watch people smoke
Negative support from others
[font=ARIAL, GEORGIA, 'TIMES NEW ROMAN', TIMES, SERIF]Thoughts that seem worse than the first days urges[/font]
[font=ARIAL, GEORGIA, 'TIMES NEW ROMAN', TIMES, SERIF]"You said it would get better. It's just as bad as the day I quit smoking!"[/font]
[font=ARIAL, GEORGIA, 'TIMES NEW ROMAN', TIMES, SERIF][font=ARIAL, GEORGIA, 'TIMES NEW ROMAN', TIMES, SERIF]Fixating on a cigarette.[/font]
[font=ARIAL, GEORGIA, 'TIMES NEW ROMAN', TIMES, SERIF]I want one...[/font]
[font=ARIAL, GEORGIA, 'TIMES NEW ROMAN', TIMES, SERIF]"Just think about something else."[/font]
[/font]

[font=GEORGIA, 'TIMES NEW ROMAN', TIMES, SERIF][font=ARIAL, GEORGIA, 'TIMES NEW ROMAN', TIMES, SERIF]The Urge Hits![/font][/font]
[font=GEORGIA, 'TIMES NEW ROMAN', TIMES, SERIF][font=ARIAL, GEORGIA, 'TIMES NEW ROMAN', TIMES, SERIF]Why am I still having "urges?"[/font][/font]
[font=GEORGIA, 'TIMES NEW ROMAN', TIMES, SERIF][font=ARIAL, GEORGIA, 'TIMES NEW ROMAN', TIMES, SERIF][/font][size=100][font=ARIAL, GEORGIA, ... g Triggers[/font][/font][/size]
[font=GEORGIA, 'TIMES NEW ROMAN', TIMES, SERIF][font=ARIAL, GEORGIA, 'TIMES NEW ROMAN', TIMES, SERIF][/font][size=100][font=ARIAL, GEORGIA, ... g Triggers[/font][/font][/size]

[font=GEORGIA, 'TIMES NEW ROMAN', TIMES, SERIF]My Cigarette, My Friend[/font]
[font=GEORGIA, 'TIMES NEW ROMAN', TIMES, SERIF]Quitting can be a very lonely experience[/font]
[font=GEORGIA, 'TIMES NEW ROMAN', TIMES, SERIF]Emotional Loss Experienced from Quitting Smoking
"Boy, do I miss smoking!"
[/font]
Last edited by Joel Spitzer on January 16th, 2011, 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

January 16th, 2011, 3:53 pm #43

Thank you so very, very much.

January 18th, 2011, 6:45 pm #44

I love flowers. I'll have to research that one.

Mandevilla; you have truely conquered another trigger moment in your quit. I DOES get better. You have lost nothing; and gained back your life!

I too, felt a great loss, in the beginning. I cried many times. I really never thought i would be happy without my nicotine.

it's just our junkie addict thinking.. don't give in to it. it is powerful but you are stronger than nicotine.

the two articles Joel brought up, that I re-read often are MY CIGARETTE, MY FRIEND
AND QUITTING CAN BE A VERY LONELY EXPERIENCE.

you are doing fine! Keep up the great quit!

remember, 1=ALL
NTAP one day at a time

January 18th, 2011, 11:48 pm #45

Thank you Sarah52!
I am in my 18th day now, and feeling stronger.  I am on guard, and will stay on guard, because I am too proud of my quit to take it for granted.  
I read something on here last night in the "the Urge Hits" thread that someone wrote.  Wow.  Revelation time.  It had something to do with attaching all our emotions to cigarettes.  I realized that every, single one of my "elevated" emotions was embedded in association with having a cigarette!  If I was REALLY happy - had to have a cigarette.  If I was REALLY angry - had to have a cigarette.  If I was REALLY sad - had to have a cigarette.  I have attached all solutions to my emotional highs and lows to having a cigarette.  I have some work to do to break those associations....but at least I realize now what I have to do.
What I also realized is that going out to eat with family members was not really the crux of what I was feeling - it was that I was having some personal stressors (have to pay taxes soon, have to solve a problem with the heating system in my home....etc) and what I was not putting front and center is that THOSE stress factors were what was making me anxious - not the association of my "smoking buddy" family members.  It was the other problems looming in my mind - and I was just piling on top of the mountain "and I can't even smoke with my family....woe is me....I cannot win...."   
After I read those thoughts (could have been a compilation of a few people) I took action on solving some of my "problems" the next day:  I called the IRS, I called a heating system company...and my anxiety lifted- it completely lifted. 

My anxiety had nothing to do with a cigarette - but I have conditioned my mind to think it does.  The subconscious mind can be re-conditioned - as John wrote in the thread I mentioned above:
 "it's likely that most all of us allowed our emotions to serve as feeding cues. The good part is that it doesn't take brainwashing or even repeated encounters with the same triggers before the subconscious mind abandons them as cues. The subconscious isn't capable of independent thought. It simply reacts to the input provided."

Anyway - thank you Sarah52 and John and Joel.
I am into my 18th day evening and learning so much.  My goodness, what an incredible journey.
Mandevilla Lisa

August 18th, 2011, 1:31 pm #46

Brilliant Joel, so true.  I have saved it into my best folder in case I am ever stupid enough to think smoking again is a good idea as opposed to this, the reality.  Many thanks

October 30th, 2011, 8:20 pm #47

Fantastic reading! Thanks.

Jo 23 days

December 13th, 2011, 3:12 pm #48

[font=ARIAL, GEORGIA, 'TIMES NEW ROMAN', TIMES, SERIF]For anyone fixating on "a cigarette." Smoking "a cigarette" or just taking a drag is tantamount to relapsing to an addiction to thousands of cigarettes a year, tens of thousands of cigarettes over a decade and hundreds of thousands of cigarettes over a shortened lifetime. It also translates into ruined health and a quality impaired life. It means smelling like a cigarette, and facing chronic withdrawals. Remember cigarettes for what they were and what they were going to do to you over time and you will never question your desire to never take another puff![/font][font=ARIAL, GEORGIA, 'TIMES NEW ROMAN', TIMES, SERIF][/font]
[font=ARIAL, GEORGIA, 'TIMES NEW ROMAN', TIMES, SERIF]Joel[/font]
[font=ARIAL, GEORGIA, 'TIMES NEW ROMAN', TIMES, SERIF]
[/font]

[font=ARIAL, GEORGIA, 'TIMES NEW ROMAN', TIMES, SERIF]See also:  "I made a conscious decision to smoke"[/font]
[/font]

[/font]

[font=ARIAL, GEORGIA, 'TIMES NEW ROMAN', TIMES, SERIF]and I don't know if I have another quit in me.[/font]

May 29th, 2012, 8:10 pm #49

NOPE is tough but Ive found it truly a life saver.  I have seen others succumb with just one puff!