I smoke because I like the flavor

Joel

18 Jan 2002, 21:51 #1

I smoke for flavor. Or, I smoke to stand out as looking good. The man pictured above, and the thousands of others like him who smoke after losing their voice boxes are classic examples of why people actually smoke. They smoke because they are addicted to nicotine.

When a man or woman loses his or her larynx (voice box), he or she is no longer able to speak by normal means. A new process of speaking known as esophageal speech must be learned, a process of swallowing air and belching it up that is not mastered by all who have the procedure. There are electronic devices that help assist in the speaking process, but to date the resulting voice is very mechanical and automated sounding. Smokers have a much higher incidence of cancer of the larynx than non-smokers. Heavy alcohol consumption is also a known risk factor, and people who both smoke and drink are at highest risk.

This man and other laryngectomy patients are no longer able to breath through their nose or mouth, they must breath through holes inserted into their throats. This man is still smoking, through a tracheotomy tube straight into his throat. This man is getting no tobacco flavor, he is not going anywhere near a taste bud. He is not smoking because he somehow thinks that he is standing out as looking good or cool. He smokes now for the same reason he smoked before his cancer-he is a drug addict feeding his addiction. Conditions like this show just how addictive nicotine is and how controlled smokers are by this deadly drug.

If you are a member of Freedom now, it means you have at least three days under your belt with no nicotine in you and that you now have the upper hand in controlling this addiction. As long as you keep nicotine out now it can never exert this kind of force over your free will again. You have all reduced your risks of developing such conditions, and your risks will continue to drop and your level of control get stronger and stronger over time, and will stay on that course as long as you keep your reasons for quitting strong and your resolve reinforced to never take another puff!

Joel

Photo from Tobacco and Your Health

Harold S. Diehl, M.D.

McGraw-Hill

Copyright 1969

Matt (Gold)

18 Jan 2002, 21:57 #2

Image I don't care what flavour poison is. I refuse to let it kill me.

Thanks Joel.

improud (golder)

18 Jan 2002, 23:40 #3

Image I can't even imagine that Image Webster says the definition of addict is "to surrender (oneself) habitually or compulsively to something" I'm glad that I surrendered myself habitually to a smokefree nicotine free life Image Thanks again for another Wake-up Call Joel Image

Joel

22 Jan 2002, 20:26 #4

I just saw the string on how some people smoked thinking it made them look sexy. Whenever I do my live presentations and talk about laryngectomees, I use this picture to illustrate this very point. Does a man or woman walking down the street with a cigarette in his of her throat stand out as really looking appealing? Does a person smoke for flavor when in fact the smoke is going nowhere near a taste bud? Of course not, smokers smoke because they are addicted to nicotine, and many of their false beliefs that were used to sanctify or rationalize the addiction will simply fade over time and be replaced by reality.

The reality is smoking made you look bad, smell bad, feel bad, and was bad for your overall mental status and health and projected lifespan. The only good thing that can be said is that by quitting--to a large degree you can revert back to a more normal state of being and minimize all of these problems and implications.

In the case of the smells and the appearance, a few days can rectify much of the self-abuse your smoking had been doing to you. Health too will gradually increase and the risks of life threatening illnesses will continue to diminish over time. Then, to keep your risks low and your persona boosted to the status of a non-smoker (ex-smoker physiologically, but in all other appearances, a non-smoker to the outside world, simply always remember to never take another puff!

Joel

mirigirl (silver)

22 Jan 2002, 20:56 #5

Oh God Joel this picture is so sad and terrifying!
I think I posted earlier today how I used to work in a Palliative Care ward - and I actually saw many patients like this die from their illness - and I still smoked!!
I can't say I actually saw anyone smoke out of a tracheotomy but many a time I did wheel a patient and his oxygen supply out onto the verandah so they could have a cigarette!!
You see even health professionals don't understand about this addiction - and I was one of them! I cringe when I think about it now.
This is a devastating addiction - "my little habit"!!
I'm so glad to be 100% nicotine free.
On the bright side I was at a meeting tonight and talking with a young fellow after the meeting who said he was giving up smoking on Monday! So we were talking about nicotine addiction and he said he was going to use the patches. Not wanting to be too pushy I said well actually using the patches is just extending withdrawal for ten weeks -'cause you are still putting nicotine into your system. I said it's a bit like drinking light beer. (Don't know if that analogy works but I thought I'd try it!) He said ""oh...yes.... I never thought of it that way......"
So I'm going to pass on some of the articles from your library and Freedom to him next Friday. He doesn't have access to the internet. I guess it's just a small thing... but you never know... reading the material here certainly turned my head (and my life!) around.... and here I am 22 days Free!
Thanks Joel. Thanks Freedom.
And I pray that every smoker can find their way to Freedom and never have to go through what that poor man in the photo went through.
That's heartbreaking.Image
yqs mirigirl
another nicotine addict
3 weeks 1 day Free

Joel

18 Feb 2002, 20:27 #6

Image It seems from the parade I started yesterday that many members find themselves listening to the excuses of others as to why they cannot or don't want to quit smoking. I figured I'd bring up a few articles so you can dispel such myths--if not to the smoker at least for yourself. The only reason these people "can't" quit yet is that they are still refusing to accept the the fact that to stay smoke free that they must never take another puff!

Joel

mirigirl (silver)

03 Mar 2002, 05:15 #7

Hello Freedom Folks - hope everyone doesn't mind - I have a friend looking in over the next few days so I thought I'd bring up a few of my favourite posts.

All the best to us on our journey to Freedom We are doing alright eh!?

your quit sis
mirigirl
another nicotine addict
Two months, 15 hours, 33 minutes and 30 seconds Free
1509 cigarettes not smoked, saving $552.16. Life saved: 5 days, 5 hours, 45 minutes.

Joel

11 Mar 2002, 21:25 #8

ImageFor Millie:
Oh how good just one cigarette will taste!

Joel

28 Mar 2002, 03:01 #9

For anyone watching a family member or friend smoke and thinking how much he or she must be enjoying a cigarette.

Rosemary (Gold)

28 Mar 2002, 03:16 #10

I did know someone who had this surgery. The synthesized voice was very difficult to understand--he usually resorted to writing things down. He had to eat in private (I understand it was very nasty to see). I don't think I will ever forget my daughter's look of horror (or his cringe of humilation) when she first saw him that way. He was a good man who died one chunk at a time because he could not stop smoking.

Rosemary.