I smoke because I like the flavor

Joel

15 Feb 2003, 00:26 #21

This man and others like him are not continuing to smoke because of an oral fixation.
He smokes because he is an actively using nicotine addict.
You smoked because you were an actively using nicotine addict.
You are not smoking today because you finally decided and have now stuck
to your commitment to never take another puff!
Joel

Joel

28 Feb 2003, 09:01 #22

Just reading or hearing the truth is no guarantee that a person is going to believe or continue to believe the truth. It's amazing what lengths people will go through to continue to smoke and what kind of losses will continue to mount--eventually resulting in the total loss of health and possibly even life all because some people will not accept the premise that to stay smoke free they must never take another puff!

Joel

John (Gold)

09 May 2003, 08:53 #23

Cocoa in Cigarettes Not Addictive: Dutch Study

Thu May 8, 2003 10:32 AM ET

AMSTERDAM (Reuters Health) - Cocoa, which some tobacco companies add to their products, releases psychoactive compounds when burned, but not enough to affect addiction, Dutch researchers have found.
It had been thought that the cocoa, which is often used to improve the taste of tobacco products, was linked to addiction.

But an investigation by the National Institute for Public Health and the Environment (RIVM) found that although many psychoactive substances are created when cocoa is burned, there was no direct link to nicotine addiction.

The research found that the 10 most important psychoactive substances linked to cocoa were theobromine, caffeine, serotonin, histamine, tryptophan, tryptamine, tyramine,

phenylethylamine, octopamine and anandamine.

While substances like theobromine and caffeine can widen the airways when inhaled, and therefore promote the absorption of nicotine into the body, histamine can bring about the opposite effect.

Further, researchers found that the amounts of tryptamine, tyramine and phenylethylamine linked to cocoa additives were negligible with respect to the amounts that already exist in tobacco.

The substances were also found in much greater levels in food and drinks.

The report stressed the need for further study of the additives in tobacco products. But disclosing the additives in tobacco products is a controversial issue in the Netherlands.

The Ministry of Health has set a July 1 deadline for the tobacco industry to reveal what they are adding to cigarettes and other tobacco products.

But the Netherlands Tobacco Manufacturers Association, citing trade secrecy protection, recently indicated that it would not be releasing the specific information demanded by the Ministry.

http://asia.reuters.com/newsArticle.jht ... ID=2706044
Copyright Reuters 2003

Lyverbyrd

21 Jul 2003, 07:25 #24

The picture above brought something crashing home to me. 2 things actually. My dad would have done this; he died of thyroid cancer last year, and he was a smoker, and he had a tracheostomy. Yet he would have carried on.

The other thing I realised is that my grief process is nowhere near the end, but the legacy that my dad has left me is to never take another puff. I won't; and I'm going to try to steer my brother to this site too.

Joel

14 Jan 2004, 03:36 #25

I saw where a question was posed at just how addictive cigarettes can actually be. I think this article captures the essence of the issue.

Sal GOLD.ffn

01 Jun 2004, 09:01 #26

ImageYou're also supposed to love the SMELL...the aroma...

I am one of the few that still loves the smell, but my brain now kicks in right away and reminds me that the aroma was created to entice me.

Not going to happen because:

Never take another puff. Period.

ImageSal
One year, four months, two weeks, five days

John (Gold)

12 Jun 2004, 22:53 #27

Flavor? Even without a stoma, there are absolutely zero tastebuds inside the human lung - none!

Canadian lab testing
maple syrup-flavoured cigarettes

John (Gold)

06 Jan 2005, 01:14 #28

Flavor?

The tobacco industry spends billions in order to condition society to believe that smokers smoke because the mini toxic waste dump present in every burning cigarette (43 carcinogins, more than 500 gases and over 3,500 chemical particles) pleases human tastebuds.

Why are the more than 500 flavor additives been identified in cigarettes? Why are they really there? Is there even one flavor additive on the above list that you cannot have by the bowl full without the 43 carcinogens? Why is menthol really used? Could it be for numbing throat tissues and making toxic smoke tolerable?

How many cigarette smokers do you know who don't **** the smoke deep into their lungs and then briefly hold it so that it can transport its captivating cargo?

How many smokers do you know who have even one tastebud inside their lungs?
Haven't you earned the right to self-honesty?

John (Gold)

15 Apr 2005, 09:59 #29

Last edited by John (Gold) on 15 Feb 2009, 12:32, edited 1 time in total.

Joel

18 Jun 2006, 23:38 #30

At times when www.whyquit.com goes down the graphics on this page and a number of others also go down. I am attaching the article here in its entirety with alternate graphics that will work independent of www.whyquit.com:
I Smoke Because I Like the Flavor
I smoke for flavor. Or, I smoke to stand out as looking good. The man pictured above, and the thousands of others like him who smoke after losing their voice boxes are classic examples of why people actually smoke. They smoke because they are addicted to nicotine.

When a man or woman loses his or her larynx (voice box), he or she is no longer able to speak by normal means. A new process of speaking known as esophageal speech must be learned, a process of swallowing air and belching it up that is not mastered by all who have the procedure. There are electronic devices that help assist in the speaking process, but to date the resulting voice is very mechanical and automated sounding. Smokers have a much higher incidence of cancer of the larynx than non-smokers. Heavy alcohol consumption is also a known risk factor, and people who both smoke and drink are at highest risk.

This man and other laryngectomy patients are no longer able to breath through their nose or mouth, they must breath through holes inserted into their throats. This man is still smoking, through a tracheotomy tube straight into his throat. This man is getting no tobacco flavor, he is not going anywhere near a taste bud. He is not smoking because he somehow thinks that he is standing out as looking good or cool. He smokes now for the same reason he smoked before his cancer-he is a drug addict feeding his addiction. Conditions like this show just how addictive nicotine is and how controlled smokers are by this deadly drug.

If you are a member of Freedom now, it means you have at least three days under your belt with no nicotine in you and that you now have the upper hand in controlling this addiction. As long as you keep nicotine out now it can never exert this kind of force over your free will again. You have all reduced your risks of developing such conditions, and your risks will continue to drop and your level of control get stronger and stronger over time, and will stay on that course as long as you keep your reasons for quitting strong and your resolve reinforced to never take another puff!

Joel

Photo from Tobacco and Your Health

Harold S. Diehl, M.D.

McGraw-Hill

Copyright 1969