I Smoke Because I Like Smoking!

Joel

22 Feb 2001, 07:35 #1

Joel's Reinforcement Library

Ask almost any current smoker why she continues to indulge in such a dangerous activity and she will normally reply, "Because I like smoking." While she may say this in all honesty, it is a very misleading statement, both to the listener and to the smoker herself. She does not smoke because she enjoys smoking, rather she smokes because she does not enjoy not smoking.

Nicotine is a powerfully addictive drug. The smoker is in a constant battle to maintain a narrow range of nicotine in her blood stream (serum nicotine level). Every time the smoker's serum nicotine level falls below the minimum limit, she experiences drug withdrawal. She becomes tense, irritable, anxious and, in some cases, even shows physical symptoms. She does not enjoy feeling these withdrawals. The only thing that will alleviate these acute symptoms will be a cigarette. The nicotine loss is then replenished and, hence, the smoker feels better. She enjoyed smoking.

A smoker must also be cautious not to exceed his upper limit of tolerance for nicotine or else suffer varying degrees of nicotine poisoning. Many smokers can attest to this condition. It usually occurs after parties or extremely tense situations when the smoker finds themselves exceeding their normal level of consumption. They feels sick, nauseous, dizzy and generally miserable.

Being a successful smoker is like being an accomplished tight rope walker. The smoker must constantly maintain a balance between these two painful extremes of too much or too little nicotine. The fear which accompanies initial smoking cessation is that the rest of the ex-smoker's entire life will be as horrible as the first few days without cigarettes. What ex-smokers will learn is that within a short period of time, the physical withdrawal will start to diminish. First, the urges will weaken in intensity and then become shorter in duration. There will be longer time intervals between urges. It will eventually reach the point where the ex-smoker will desire a cigarette very infrequently, if ever. Those who continue to smoke will continue to be in a constant battle of maintaining their serum nicotine level.

Included in this battle is the great expense of buying pack after pack and the dangerous assault on the smoker's body of inhaling the poison nicotine along with over 4,000 other toxic chemicals which comprise the tars and gasses produced from the combustion of tobacco. These chemicals are deadly by themselves and even more so in combination.

So the next time you think of how much you once seemed to enjoy cigarettes, sit back and take a serious, objective look at why you have such an idealization of this dangerous product. Consider all the consequences. You will probably realize that you feel physically and mentally better now than you ever did as a smoker. Consider all of this and - NEVER TAKE ANOTHER PUFF!

Related Video:

Last edited by Joel on 19 May 2015, 07:38, edited 3 times in total.

BryanS

22 Feb 2001, 07:47 #2

Thanks for bringing this up Joel. I think this is a perfect non-threatening little nudge to email to my wife Image

mirigirl (silver)

22 Feb 2001, 22:50 #3

Hey Tammy, I saw your post... hang in there

Hasn't your child given you such a lovely gift?
Acceptance of the new you!
I think we all from time to time have thoughts about how much we used to like smoking .... its just that right now we DONT have to act on them! What a relief!
We are still NICOTINE FREE!!
Hang Tuff ~ like that beautiful picture of you (With no cigarette in hand) on the beach! Breath that air!
YQS Maz
One month, two days, 1 hour, 53 minutes and 57 seconds NICOTINE FREE!!
826 cigarettes not smoked, saving $264.63. Life saved: 2 days, 20 hours, 50 minutes.
Last edited by mirigirl (silver) on 15 Feb 2009, 14:13, edited 1 time in total.

Suzanne T Gold

23 Feb 2001, 00:11 #4

Hi Tammy and THANKYOU Joel!

This is a great article for anyone who is "considering quiting"....read, re-read and get it thru my thick skull [while I'm still smoking and can test this out] that:

1. I do NOT enjoy smoking anymore, I actually enjoy the temporary end of a withdrawal, caused by the last cig I smoked! These withdrawals usually occur 20-30 minutes after the last cig. I did NOT believe this when I first read it, however, I came to believe it as I increased my awareness when I smoked. It took a couple weeks before I got to where I didn't want to smoke anymore and I was smoking against my will, and I was smoking knowing I didn't enjoy it!

2. That's when I KNEW that smoking is not a bad habit. Smoking is a drug addiction. Part of the power of the addiction is the mental conviction that I enjoy smoking, therefore I smoke. When that concept was totally smashed inside me, my attitude as an ex-smoker was born. I have given up NOTHING. I am NOT deprived. I do NOT envy smokers.

3. Triggers...once the physical withdrawal is over I need to stay ON Guard for the occasional trigger situation or event, where I will get the idea or an urge to smoke. I am convinced I need to be learning healthier more mature ways to cope w/stress, anger, celebrations, in fact w/feelings and life! I relied on a filthy cig for 45 years rather than grow in maturity and wisdom.

Thank you again Joel. I hope someone like me is reading this article and the next time you light up you suddenly realize....wow...I really don't enjoy the actual cig anymore. I even fought that idea and tried to deny it, bury it etc. That is my addiction talking lies to keep me hooked.

Cheers to All and Loving Being Smoke Free...I never thought I could do this

Thank you all so very much,

Suzanne 3W 13hours
Last edited by Suzanne T Gold on 15 Feb 2009, 14:14, edited 1 time in total.

coldchicken (GOLD)

23 Feb 2001, 09:05 #5

Hello all....just an update to let you know that sometimes I'm NOT psycho! lol...I made through yesturday....somehow....today was much better, maybe only two or three triggers.....I do want to really give Joel a BIG THANKS.. and a big hug! I'm glad I finally freedom! The difference is this time I want to quit for ME! Remember to post post post and read everything Joel has in his library if that nicodemon is around! Knowledge is most powerful...always gratful, TammyImage
Three weeks, two days, 4 hours, 59 minutes and 58 seconds. 464 cigarettes not smoked, saving $75.42. Life saved: 1 day, 14 hours, 40 minutes.
Last edited by coldchicken (GOLD) on 15 Feb 2009, 14:12, edited 1 time in total.

John (Gold)

21 Mar 2003, 02:34 #6

Canadian Government's addiction warning label
"She does not smoke because she enjoys smoking, rather
she smokes because she does not enjoy not smoking."
There are only two choices, freedom or feed-em. Sadly many addicts no longer see withdawal and recovery as their ticket to freedom but as a massive barrier beyond which they wrongly believe they can not pass. Others use the following sequence of faulty reasoning that fails to acknowledge one critical - their brain is chemically married to and dependent upon mandatory regular nicotine feedings:
  • I do not do things that I do not enjoy doing
  • I smoked lots and lots and lots of cigarettes
  • Therefore I must really enjoy smoking
Wrong !
  • I do not do things that I do not enjoy doing
  • I smoked lots and lots and lots of cigarettes
  • I know that each puff destroys my body a bit more
  • Therefore I must be a "real" drug addict!
Correct !
Knowledge is power!
Breathe deep, hug hard, live long! John
Last edited by John (Gold) on 15 Feb 2009, 14:17, edited 1 time in total.

John (Gold)

28 Dec 2003, 14:10 #7

Last edited by John (Gold) on 15 Feb 2009, 14:20, edited 1 time in total.

John (Gold)

07 Jan 2004, 16:52 #8

"We agree with the overwhelming medical and scientific
consensus that cigarette smoking is addictive."

John (Gold)

29 Jan 2004, 21:50 #9

Like?
  • Like having your skin coated in the stain of yellow tars (smokers)?
  • Like living with up to 30% less functional lung capacity than possible (smokers)?
  • Like paying money to stay in chemical bondage (all addicts)?
  • Like having over 200 of your neurochemicals controlled by nicotine (all addicts)?
  • Like having a 50% chance of reducing your life expectancy 13 to 14 years (smokers)?
  • Like your addiction playing a major role in picking your friends?
  • Like having life interrupted every 20 to 30 minutes until death do you part?
  • Like standing outside in the rain or cold in order to feed a mandatory chemical need (smokers)?
Isn't it time to go the distance and see what it's like being you?
Only one rule, no nicotine today!
Last edited by John (Gold) on 15 Feb 2009, 14:46, edited 2 times in total.

GiGiD40

21 Jul 2004, 06:47 #10

A smoker must also be cautious not to exceed his upper limit of tolerance for nicotine or else suffer varying degrees of nicotine poisoning. Many smokers can attest to this condition. It usually occurs after parties or extremely tense situations when the smoker finds themselves exceeding their normal level of consumption. They feels sick, nauseous, dizzy and generally miserable.

This has my name written all over it. I exceeded my regular tolerance nicotine levels when out with friends, or being angry with anyone, waiting up for one of my sons to come home. I would then feel so physically awful; but of course, never ever blaming the cigarettes. I would normally associate these sick feelings with being under a lot of stress or being tired or possibly "coming down with something".

Never again for me!!!!!

Gina (7 days Nicotine Free - 233 Cigarettes not smoked.)