I Smoke Because I Like Smoking!

Joel

21 Jul 2004, 06:54 #11

ImageIt actually did have you written all over it Gina. I brought it up when I read the line in your post, "Here I thought smoking was just something I enjoyed, something Gina did, part of who Gina was."
Last edited by Joel on 15 Feb 2009, 14:40, edited 1 time in total.

zwan girl3

21 Jul 2004, 06:56 #12

I have also had experience with overdosing on nicotine. One thing that bothers me is my boyfriend telling people that I quit, but don't smoke very much anyway. I told him to please not discredit my quit to others, because it was hard, hard, hard, and I'm very proud of myself. The "not smoking a lot" he was referring to was, the day after a party I was very likely not to smoke the entire day, if at all, because of "smoking myself out", as I liked to call it. He saw this as me not being as addicted as him.

John (Gold)

05 Jan 2005, 23:48 #13

Like?
Last edited by John (Gold) on 15 Feb 2009, 14:40, edited 1 time in total.

John (Gold)

06 Jan 2005, 00:11 #14

Canadian Government's addiction warning label
"She does not smoke because she enjoys smoking, rather
she smokes because she does not enjoy not smoking."
There are only two choices, freedom or feed-em. Understandably, most drug addicts do not see withdrawal and recovery as their ticket to freedom but as a massive barrier beyond which they deeply believe that life without their chemical would not be worth living. I say understandably because it is basic human nature to define who we are and what we like or love by what we find ourselves doing. The mind's rather logical analysis goes something like this:
  • I do not do things that I do not enjoy doing
  • I smoked lots and lots and lots of cigarettes
  • Therefore I must really love smoking
Chronic nicotine use can quickly redefine the brain's sense of neurochemical normal. Memories of once extended periods of mental quiet and neurochemical calm are quickly vibrated into memory dust by a never-ending roller-coaster ride of intense neurochemical highs and lows. The basic clock governing mandatory feeding times becomes the fact that one-half of the body's reserves of nicotine are depleted about every two hours.
According to the U.S. Department of Health, nicotine is "extremely addictive." It causes the brain to grow millions of extra acetylcholine receptors (up-regulation), while at the same time desensitizing critical a host of neuronal pathways. The physical changes create a new neurochemical sense of normal built entirely upon the presence of nicotine. Now, any attempt to quit can produce intermittent temporary hurtful anxieties and powerful mood shifts.

Desensitized dopamine reward pathways may briefly offer-up few rewards, the nervous system may see altering the status quo as danger and sound anxiety alarms throughout the body, and desensitized mood circuitry might briefly find it difficult to climb beyond depression.

It is no longer a matter of "like" or "love" but a mandatory chemical need. But few among us fully sensed and appreciated our gradual loss of autonomy, at least until we tried to stop. Even then most of us still deeply believed that we were calling the shots and that it was simply a matter of us not yet wanting to quit.

By then our conviction that we must like smoking because we always find ourselves doing was deeply ingrained. Almost all memories of a once calm and quiet mind were crushed under a mountain of dependency memories.

Recovery is our opportunity to again visit a long lost mind. It's a chance to make an accurate comparison between nicotine's half-life controlling the flow of scores of your body's neurochemicals and those same chemicals being controlled by life. Here at Freedom we're entirely confident that if you'll remain patient that honest analysis will soon go something like this:
  • I do not do things that I do not enjoy doing
  • I smoked lots and lots and lots of cigarettes
  • I've learned that each and every puff destroys a bit more of my body's capacity to receive and transport life giving oxygen
  • It makes no sense to trade 1 chemical for 14 years of life
  • I am beginning to see that the real me can expect to enjoy gradually increasing periods of rich mental quit, and a harmonious neurochemical chorus that is orchestrated by life not nicotine.
  • It wasn't a matter of me liking being addicted, liking nicotine's endless control over the flow of my body's chemicals, or liking the fact that I was gradually destroying my body.
  • I'd simply forgotten who I was
  • I'd become a drug addict
This is your loving gift of "you" to you and worthy of protection. Millions of words here at Freedom but they all boil down to one guiding principle ... no nicotine just one hour, challenge and day at a time, Never Take Another Puff, Dip or Chew! John (Gold x5)
Last edited by John (Gold) on 15 Feb 2009, 14:26, edited 1 time in total.

OBob Gold

24 Jan 2005, 01:43 #15

Related Reading:
Are there "social smokers?"
"I smoke because I like the flavor"
"My cigarette, my friend"
Recognizing Needs
Last edited by OBob Gold on 30 Jun 2009, 02:15, edited 1 time in total.

Rickrob53 Gold

01 Feb 2005, 23:58 #16

(although the title may seem like it doesn't fit this thread, you'll be surprised at how appropriate Joanne's message really is)...
Image Helping Others To Quit Smoking - Key Questions?

kattatonic1 gold4

15 Mar 2005, 03:59 #17

I had a great conversation with a former colleague last night who I haven't seen since before I quit. He quit nicotine Cold Turkey about 25 years ago after using for about 20. He told me that he loved everything about nicotine: the various forms it came in, the smells, the textures, the packaging. He travelled all over the country for work and had tobacconists sending him products all over from all over. Cigarettes, snuff, pipe tobacco, etc. and samples of all sorts.

As he floated off into his nostalgia and mimicked rolling it, smelling it and savouring the flavour, I said "You loved your nicotine because it kept you from going into withdrawal. That's why you loved your nicotine."

He seemed to wake up, stopped, and said flatly, "I loved my nicotine because I am addict. It kept me from going into withdrawal. Now it stinks."

Then he cheered for quit Image!

~ Kay (Gold) ~
Last edited by kattatonic1 gold4 on 15 Feb 2009, 15:01, edited 1 time in total.

John (Gold)

15 Apr 2005, 09:58 #18

Last edited by John (Gold) on 15 Feb 2009, 15:00, edited 1 time in total.

Joel

03 Aug 2005, 20:19 #19

Most smokers will attest to the fact that they feel that there were some "good" cigarettes that they smoked over their lifetime. When I use the term good, I don't want any confusion here that they were cigarettes that were good for them or even cigarettes that served a valuable purpose, like helping them get through a crisis. If a person survived a crisis while taking a cigarette, it is crucial that he or she recognizes that he or she would have gotten through the crisis even if he or she had not smoked. Hanging on to the belief that a cigarette was the only thing that got them through is setting the person up for future failure if a crisis is ever big enough. When I use the word "good" though, I simply mean there were some cigarettes that people truly enjoyed. One of the tactics I use at all my clinics is to ask for a show of hands of people who smoke 2 packs a day or more. I ask those people how many of them smoke because they like smoking. There are always going to be a number of 2 pack a day smokers who answer in the affirmative to the question.

I then go on to ask some very important follow-up questions. First I ask them to tell me which cigarettes stand out in their mind as being really great cigarettes on any given day. Usually they will offer up the first one or two they have when they wake up, the ones after meals and maybe one or two others that they have on certain breaks. Then you can see that they are thinking of other good ones but none seem to come to mind. I simply point out that we have a mathematical problem occurring here. They have come up with five to seven good cigarettes yet they are smoking forty or more cigarettes a day. Where are those other cigarettes?

Some of them are nasty as they smoke them. Some of them are marginal, they don't even remember smoking them soon after they were out. So here we have a few good cigarettes, a few lousy cigarettes and a whole bunch of what now seem to be insignificant cigarettes. It is then a matter of convincing the person to remember all of the cigarettes and helping them to understand that while there may be some good ones, they have to be accompanied by all of the mediocre and miserable ones, and when it comes down to it all of them, even the good ones are killing them.

Sometimes the original question I ask, of which cigarettes stand out as being really great cigarettes, sometimes appears to backfire. For some people will respond with a clear and resounding statement of "All of them." But to those people I just have one simple follow-up question which is, "How much do you like smoking? Do you like smoking more than you like something like, oh, I don't know...something like maybe...breathing?" It is quite evident that this is not the case for if it were it is very doubtful that they would be sitting in a Stop Smoking Clinic in the first place.

Here are a few posts that we have that explore the concept of people saying they enjoyed smoking. They are by no means the only articles on the site that address this issue. I think that anyone who is hanging on to the belief that in some way they really miss smoking needs to spend time reading the relapse prevention articles of Freedom, as well as the Reasons to Quit Sections, the addiction sections and the craves and thought sections. Equally important if not more so would be reading the stories at www.whyquit.com. When it really comes down to it stories like Byran's and Noni's and Kim's and Sean's and the countless others hit home the point that nothing that brings even some level of enjoyment is worth using if it brings on the kind of suffering and losses that accompanies using a product that is destructive and lethal. Smoking destroys the smoker and often goes on to devastate his or her loved ones left behind.

There may have been cigarettes that people think back to as good--but these good cigarettes were destroying tissue, overworking their heart and lungs and were keeping the addiction alive and well that was creating the need for tens or hundreds of thousands of cigarettes that would likely eventually have killed them. The only good cigarettes were the ones you tossed without lighting the day you quit, for they were the cigarettes that started you on your journey to become an ex-smoker--the cigarettes that you can vividly recall as the ones you destroyed when you finally committed to never take another puff!

Joel

"I smoke because I like smoking!"

"I smoke because I like the flavor"

"Boy, do I miss smoking!"

You smoke because you're a smoke-a-holic!

"why did I ever start smoking?"

"My cigarette, my friend"

Do members of our board seem to be too happy?

John (Gold)

26 Dec 2005, 22:04 #20

What did you love about smoking?
Think hard. What is it that we loved about smoking? What was so wonderful that we were willing to damage or even destroy our lungs and gradually clog every artery in our body? What would cause any sane person to knowingly inhale 43 different cancer causing chemicals and to slowly build a time-bomb within? What was it about smoking nicotine that we liked so much that at the time we were willing to stay with it, flip a coin, and accept a 50/50 chance of departing earth an average of roughly 5,000 days early?
The smell? Flowers smell good but when's the last time you felt the need to light one on fire and **** its smoke deep into your lungs, and briefly hold it, in order to complete the experience?
Taste? You have roughly 10,000 taste buds but none located inside your lungs.
Chronic nicotine use caused your brain to grow millions of extra nicotinic type acetylcholine receptors in at least eleven different brain regions. It left you de-sensitized to your own natural neurochemical flow to a host of your own chemicals. Going home now came with a price. What does love or like have to do with our brain being physically re-wired to function with nicotine?
Does it really matter how any true drug addict feels about their captivity? Without being acted upon, would the feeling in any way change our dependency status?
It's normal for us to look to our own behavior in order to obtain clues about our attitudes and beliefs. We tend to draw conclusions about what we must like by watching what we do. Such deductive reasoning goes something like this:
"If I smoke, I must like to smoke. If I smoke a lot, I must like to smoke a lot. In other words, I must love to smoke because I've done it so long and I've tried to quit so many times before, but I still smoke. I really must enjoy smoking."
It's likely that the vast majority of our nicotine fixes were commenced and completed while on auto pilot. Our subconscious worked filing ashtray after ashtray in order to keep a constantly falling blood-serum nicotine level (which was reduced by about half every two hours) high enough so that our conscious mind did not have to sense the onset of the signs and symptoms of early withdrawal.
After watching ourselves do something harmful to our bodies all those years it would be normal to "reason that if its bad for me and I still do it then I must really enjoy it." But in light of what we've learned about nicotine being a true chemical dependency closely akin to all other drugs of addiction, is such thinking truthful?
Turning to the nicotine addict's alert dopamine/adrenaline high, there is no debate but that the alert dopamine "aaahhh" sensation which arrived within 8 seconds of each puff was pleasurable but wouldn't an honest thinker also average in the negatives and lows?
Remember the anxieties of badly needing a fix? Remember what it felt like to run out? Remember the anxieties that flooded your mind when you need a fix and had misplaced your cigarettes. "WHERE ARE MY CIGARETTES! How many of the thousands of urges and craves commanding you to smoke more nicoitne do you actually recall?
Do you remember leaving or interrupting life's finest moments in order to service your chemical needs? How many opportunities did you pass up because you wouldn't be able to smoke? What about the cold or rain you endured?
Did you love getting an nicotine induced adrenaline rush when the moment called for deep relaxation or even sleep? Did you really love stealing an unearned flood of dopamine from your brain's natural reward system, the "aaahhh" during all those moments when life called for sadness or sorrow?
When you average out the lows and highs what are you left with? Truth is that all the neurochemicals that nicotine controls already belong to you. Nicotine doesn't make dopamine, adrenaline or serotonin. They were always yours. Recovery is really nothing more than having the patience to allow your brain time to re-sensitize, allowing life and these amazing bodies, not nicotine, to determine appropriate neurochemical flow.
An honest assessment of where we've been can result in far fewer romantic fixations, fixations that will naturally nag and continue to invite relapse. We challenge you to make an honest assessment of each and every rationalization, minimization and blame transference you employed over the years to justify that next fix.
Put your dependency thinking under honest light. But even if you insist in clinging to some treasured aspect of being dependent on using the world's dirtiest and most deadly drug delivery device, it cannot destroy your healing and freedom so long as continue to abide by just one premise: no nicotine today, Never Take Another Puff
John (Gold x6)