I Need....

Retraining the conscious mind

I Need....

21 Nov 2004, 00:38 #1

It is the weekend....my 4th full weekend to be exact....I know to read and gather support from Freedom's site....but right now, I would sure like to hear from some folks with more experience than me.....

The weekend is harder than the work week. It is lonely. I had my first dream about smoking last night (I already posted in the first dream string and in my first post diary. I am keeping busy....but I admit I have to put myself today....and I will....and I will take today as "one day at a time"....and take one hour at a time if necessary....and I will remember, my freedom and future hope comes from keeping NEVER TAKE ANOTHER PUFF....but sometimes, I find I still "need"..... Should I expect more from myself at this point? Am I ok? Am I normal?....

Katie - After 40 years, Free and Healing for One Month, Four Days, 2 Hours and 32 Minutes, while extending my life expectancy 2 Days, by avoiding the use of 580 nicotine delivery devices that would have cost me $116.12.

21 Nov 2004, 00:54 #2

Hi Katie,

Welcome to Freedom! Sorry you are have a bit of trouble today, it happens. At one month & 4 days you are still in the "battle zone" , but please understand, the worst is behind you and each day, every hour you are getting closer to the comfort of being a non-smoker.

Hang on to your quit, it's worth it. You are giving yourself a wonderful gift, keep up the good work. NTAP / yqb

Harleyboy 322 days of Freedom, working on 323

21 Nov 2004, 00:59 #3

Hello, Katie. First I would like to point out that I am not the all wise, all knowing one. With that said I would like to comend you on your determination and willingness to do whatever it takes to avoid another dose of nicotine. Remember, always post whenever you feel that your quit may be in jepoardy. You have an awesome quit going, in fact the ONLY!!! Diference between your quit and those who have been quit for years is time. You see, everyone who is a non-practicing-nic-addict is only one dose away from losing their freedom. Remember the law of addiction…Administration of a drug to an addict will cause reestablishment of chemical dependence upon the addictive substance. Should you expect more from yourself? Well you seem to be doing everything necessary to keep your quit strong…sooo…Be proud, be glad and leave it at that. When I was around the thirty day point I kinda of had a sense of loss about me, like I had lost something valuable…but in reality I gained so much more. Your doing great, keep up the great quit, we are very proud of you. NTAP one day at a time. Oh! It's ok to need. We all have needs. We just have to determine if our need is truly a need and not a want. Ie: "I need a cig" If it is a want just make certain it is expediant to fill it. Take care and keep up the awesome quit. God Bless

Kevin, NicFree & Luv'n It for 5 Months, 3 Days, 1 hour, 40 minutes and 18 seconds. I quit chewing tobacco on 6/17/04, have not spent $780.34 on copenhagen.

21 Nov 2004, 01:06 #4

Hi Katie!

Are you ok? Sounds to me like you're very ok, and very GREEN.

You have not had a puff of nicotine for over one month and that is wonderful!

It takes time to adjust to life without cigarettes controlling our days.

I can remember weekends being a bit of a challenge because I had so much extra time that I didn't know what to do with. Instead of spending hours puffing and thinking and planning....I had hours to actually use.
Walks, happy movies, good books, and reading at WhyQuit and Freedom all helped me adjust and heal.

Gradually you'll discover yourself and evolve into a comfortable ex-smoker, that's a promise.

There's a lot to learn on this journey, and there's a lot of healing that has already happened.

Keep up the great quit, Katie.
Congratulations on being GREEN!
Celebrate yourself!

It gets better and better.

One year, ten months, one week, one day

21 Nov 2004, 01:12 #5

21 Nov 2004, 01:15 #6

Hi, While only a 5 day quitter, I've had long quits in the past that I can use to answer this question. If you will permit me, since in the past 7 years I've had 3 years of nicotine freedom, most lasting a few months. My past failures qualify me in
some ways....and I hope some gold quitters also chime in!
I think for me, I was always a boredom smoker. As smokers we may have had the problem of spare time... and also the tendency to look to "substances" for the "joy-bang" that they almost never deliver.
We never solved the problem, we always smoked it away. We didn't learn how to have real pleasure. I would let a lot of my hobbies and interests go when I went into a real smoking jag period of my life. We've quit smoking but the problem of filling time is still there... but now we can actually do something entertaining, even something physical. Our old false friend provided many a weekend and evening
of false solace. Now you are seeing life more realistically and are looking for
enjoyment on your well-earned weekend. Quitting offers us the energy and the focus to do things that can give us a better life. Visit non-smoking friends,
making new friends, take dance lessons, learn a foreign language, go hiking,
exercise and get fit. Relapse can come if we don't develop healthy alternatives for our leisure hours. Nicotine is a threat either way, of course...
But for those with hours to fill on the weekend ... Now you can do something!
I read where one man who got on a bicycle and was amazed he could actually pedal uphill after being quit for just a few weeks after a 40 year habit. Is there something you've always wanted to do but never got around to it?
There is hidden energy and new capacity born of every quit ... and sometimes we
are only subtly aware of it. We also aren't spending 15-20% of every hour smoking a cigarette, so we do have more time than before. Don't use this weekend time
to clean house... because you want something more and better.
I live alone and sometimes work at home.. it's lonely! But I know that
the "solace" and company of a murderous false friend isn't going to make me
feel better... I won't have to worry about finding something entertaining to do.
Sure, but as smokers we always settled for second-best and smoking made us
unaware that we had in fact compromised so much putting our energies into a
life-sapping, energy-sapping addiction. Ponder your choices and dream big!
You have the chance now to do different things.
Keep working it Katie and write back and tell me about some great things you
did this weekend... even if it was going into town to get a haircut !

Paul S - 5 Days nicotine free.

21 Nov 2004, 02:01 #7

Thank you Sal, awesome links....!
No magic here
Recognizing needs

Katie - After 40 Years, Free and Healing for One Month, Four Days, 4 Hours and 1 Minute, while extending my life expectancy 2 Days, by avoiding the use of 581 nicotine delivery devices that would have cost me $116.33.

21 Nov 2004, 02:08 #8

Hi katie
Well done for getting this far in your quit and for posting with your problem,sorry to hear about loneliness but nicotine is not a cure for loneliness or boredom.The weekend can be a difficult time but i can gaurantee that when you were an active addict every weekend would not have been a gauranteed 100% thrill..I smoked when i was bored and i was a closet smoker and that extra indulgence is what started my roller coaster of addiction.You now know that nicotine solves nothing but junkie can convince you that the fantasy cigarette will cure all problems,the reality is that you would be landed with another problem,which is the loss of your quit and your freedom to choose.Grab yourself a piece of paper and write down a list of what excites you and thrills you,what are you passionate about,is it music,or films or some other form of art.Take this extra time that is on your hands to use as the building blocks for the future.Keep up the good work one day at a time.
Rickdabler 1 year 8 months 2 weeks+happily nicotine free.

21 Nov 2004, 02:38 #9

Good morning Katie,
And a belated Welcome to Freedom and Congratulations on turning Green.
I'm sorry you're having a hard time right now. You asked if you're normal because you're feeling this way at this point in your quit. Another member who's quit is around the same as yours was feeling just like you and asked the same question. I can tell you from experience that around a month into my quit, it got a little rough for me. I even threw a fit like a little brat at work, LOL. It was a very humbling day for me. So I can't say that everyone has a hard time around a month or so, but I've read where alot of people did have a rough time when they got around the Green Club. I know I did. So you're OK and you're normal. Even if it wasn't common for people to have a hard time around a month, as long as you didn't smoke, that's what is important.
As far as the question that should you expect more from yourself? I think one thing we all need to try to remember is that we have to be patient. I know it's hard sometimes, it's like "hey I'm not smoking, where's the joy?". You have to try to remember though that you didn't become a full fledged nicotine addict overnight. It took your body and your mind some time to say "hey I need this stuff to feel good." It's going to take some time for your body and mind to re-adjust to not having nicotine. Right now this is not what it's like to be an ex-smoker, this is what it's like to be breaking free from an addiction. 40 years of addiction is going to take a little time to re-adjust to. The good news is that it won't take anywhere nearly as long as that to find the comfort. Just try to be patient and hang in there. It will get better, I promise. I can tell you that even from my short quit.
Have a great nicotine free day!NTAP!!!

I have been quit for 4 Months, 1 Week, 6 Days, 10 hours, 36 minutes and 2 seconds (136 days). I have saved $767.47 by not smoking 4,093 cigarettes. I have saved 2 Weeks, 5 hours and 5 minutes of my life. My Quit Date: 7/7/04

21 Nov 2004, 10:01 #10

Thanks to EVERYONE! Thanks to my firm committment to NEVER TAKE ANOTHER PUFF and to this post: I am an addict! hooray! I had a very god day....even though it was a little rough starting, I was able to have a REALLY good day and, you know, it IS TRUE that the "toughts" of my old wicked friend are not as frequent...espcially since I went shopping! Wow, Life without nicotine is awesome.

Katie - After 40 Years!, Free and Healing for One Month, Four Days and 12 Hours, while extending my life expectancy 2 Days, by avoiding the use of 587 nicotine delivery devices that would have cost me $117.47.