I need a hand please??

megsfolly
megsfolly

December 8th, 2006, 6:13 am #1

I'm going through a very stressful time at work and a very emotional time at home!! My stress levels are just through the roof!! I'm a little uneasy with life in general just now and I'm so terribly sad with the whole sorry situation on the domestic front!! I'm scared I'll have a moment of madness and sacrifice my quit!! As I sit here now a little calmer it seems I won't but tomorrow when I'm in the stressful work situation it'll be a different story - does anyone have any tips on how I can cope please??

Meg xx
Megan - Free and Healing for Two Months and Five Days, I've not smoked 2679 death sticks, and saved £738.67. More importantly I've saved 9 days, 7 hours and 13 minutes of my life.

katsrule8
katsrule8

December 8th, 2006, 6:25 am #2

Hiya Megan

I have been following your progress and your double greening very proud of you..
Things will always happen - and you can choose to handle the situation how you want to - you have read here articles about how smoking a cigarette in a crisis or even a good event makes you feel better, and you know that is so wrong, a never smoker will handle the same crisis without a cigarette, so why can't we.
Things happen and they will happen whether you smoke or not, but once the crisis has passed and you have relapsed what have you achieved, only to be bound back into slavery.
Take deep breaths stand tall and think clearly.
There for you my quit sister.

Suzie
73 days and Proud...........................

Joel
Joel

December 8th, 2006, 6:27 am #3

How Would You Deal With the Following Situations? 139 11 Joel. 12/7/2006 4:24 PM
For all who are looking to put an end to bad days. 134 10 Joel. 12/7/2006 4:23 PM
Does it sometimes look like a lot of our members seem to be having a bad day? 35 4 Joel 12/7/2006 4:22 PM
We understand why you relapsed 67 13 Joel. 12/7/2006 4:22 PM
"Things were just so bad at work that I took a cigarette!" 64 2 Joel. 12/7/2006 4:21 PM
There is no legitimate reason to relapse 181 12 Joel. 12/7/2006 4:20 PM

Joe D0
Joe D0

December 8th, 2006, 6:31 am #4

(((Meg))) You break my heart sis. I have no words of comfort for you and will not give you empty cliche's or wo - hoo's either. I really do feel your pain because at one time or another I guess most of us go through what you are going through. I do know that what you feel is totally unique to you, none of us know what is going on in your personal life and none of us are in any kind of position to advise you about decisions only you can make. The only decision we can urge you toward is to not take that first puff on a cigarette because it will NOT HELP YOU. As a matter or fact, after you finish smoking that cancerstick you will feel downright horrible about what you have done. You are quitting cigarettes for YOU Meg, nobody else, the life you save will be your own Meg nobody else's and nobody can walk this walk for you. If I could send you courage I would. If I could send you victory I would. If I could send you Hope I would and guess what Meg; I CAN SEND YOU HOPE. There is always hope Meg because foremost in your corner is yourself but standing behind you with prayers, good wishes, and dreams of victory for you and all of us you will find us, your quit buddies here at whyquit.com and yeah Meg, we do know what it feels like. Yes you can stand for this, I know you can.
Joe Do - Free and Healing for Three Months, Twenty Three Days, 9 Hours and 3 Minutes, while extending my life expectancy 15 Days and 21 Hours, by avoiding the use of 4575 nicotine delivery devices that would have cost me $1,149.16.

TinaLEM1
TinaLEM1

December 8th, 2006, 6:36 am #5

Hi Meg,

Congratulations on your quit so far - double green is brilliant. You should be very proud of what you have achieved.

It looks like some relevant posts have already been bumped up to the top, so I'll just tell you how I got through it.

I get horribly stressed at work, but I can honestly say my stress levels have been lower since I quit (no withdrawal) and my productivity higher (no smoking breaks). It will get better. I don't know how to link to something I wrote in my diary, but one day when I got through huge stress without a smoke, it finally dawned on me (like a thunderbolt!) that cigarettes had nothing to do with my ability to do my job... I actually posted to say so, as getting through it strengthened my quit a lot. Believe it will get better and you will feel even more proud and confident in your quit tomorrow when you go home having not smoked.

Something else that worked for me is thinking back to why I quit in the first place. Someone posted on here saying 'I would rather want a cigarette and not be able to have it every so often, than spend my whole life wishing I didn't smoke'. Obviously I've paraphrased, and they worded it better! I've never forgotten it though. I spent my whole time hating myself for smoking and wishing I didn't - cravings now are very rare, and only last a moment. I know which I prefer, and I'm betting you feel the same.

You are doing great. Keep strong and NTAP.

Love Tina
I have been quit for 6 Months, 2 Weeks, 1 hour, 5 minutes and 57 seconds (197 days). I have saved £1,004.93 by not smoking 3,940 cigarettes. I have saved 1 Week, 6 Days, 16 hours and 20 minutes of my life. My Quit Date: 24/05/2006 21:30

Jonesdance1
Jonesdance1

December 8th, 2006, 6:50 am #6

Meg,
Stay strong. You can get through this. The hardest part is over. That's making the decision to NTAP. You've made this decision 2 months and 5 days ago. That's it. Stress, fights, death, etc. will happen if we smoke or not. We don't want that added stress of the slow death that smoking brings. We want to be free. That's why we spend a big part of our day on a message bord titled "FREEDOM". You can do this. You HAVE done this.

Stay Strong!
Waylon
Bronze today

heath0210
heath0210

December 8th, 2006, 4:16 pm #7

Meg
No empty words, stay strong and big hugs my quit sister.
Heather. x

VICKIGOLD2006
VICKIGOLD2006

December 8th, 2006, 10:12 pm #8

Hey Meg, hopefully things are looking a little better this morning. I too had a pretty bad patch in my recovery, but by not picking up a nicotine, things got better. I found for me, that when I was smoking, I was also stuffing down feelings that got supressed for years. Now, I am facing some of those feelings because I am able to do it without nicotine. Just remember to keep things in perspective...that mean NTAP if just for a moments, an hour or a day. It will not help. I'll look for the link, but try replacing the word cigarette with nicotine...it sure gives a whole new perspective on smoking. Just use the word nicotine when you think of cigarette.

Hang in there Meg, two months and your ARE doing it, one day at a time.
VICKI - Free and Healing for Four Months, Five Days, 16 Hours and 35 Minutes, while extending my life expectancy 8 Days and 20 Hours, by avoiding the use of 2554 nicotine delivery devices that would have cost me $577.64.

roho diablo
roho diablo

December 9th, 2006, 2:42 am #9

Hang in there Meg, you'll get through this! We are all here for you. I don't have anything profound to say - everyone else beat me to it!
NTAP. Hugs,
Di
I have been quit for 2 Weeks, 4 Days, 10 hours, 46 minutes and 2 seconds (18 days). I have saved $66.41 by not smoking 276 cigarettes. I have saved 23 hours of my life. My Quit Date: 11/20/2006 12:00 AM

Melrose18
Melrose18

December 9th, 2006, 6:53 am #10

Meg,

Let us hear from you. We are all very proud of you and know that you can stay the course.

Stay strong, you have come a long, long way and should be very proud of what you have accomplished over the past two months.

You know the rest of the drill.... just hang on even if it is minute by minute and you will make it one more day and days turn in to weeks and months....and then there is GOLD....

Melrose

megsfolly
megsfolly

December 9th, 2006, 6:54 am #11

Many many thanks to those who responded to my thread.

I just got home from work form one of the most stressful and frustrating days yet in nmy career!! The domestic situation still remians but I'm sure that will for some time to come!!

The good news I NEVER SMOKED!!! and actually when I think about it Ididn't really crave a smoke!! All around people were smoking but I didn't bother.

This quit is real hard at times but really satisfying too - especially today becasue I know I came through it!!

I'm off to bed now for some well earned sleep - tomorrow will be more of the same - but I'm more confident to deal with tomorrow now!!

Once again I thank you for your continued support.

Meg xx

Joe D0
Joe D0

December 9th, 2006, 9:29 pm #12

Meg - Congratulations on your victory of yesterday. Today is a new day, a new set of challenges and a new day of NTAP. I am proud of you Meg.
Joe Do - Free and Healing for Three Months, Twenty Five Days and 1 Minute, while extending my life expectancy 16 Days and 2 Hours, by avoiding the use of 4640 nicotine delivery devices that would have cost me $1,165.56.