I'm so anxious and want to smoke!

amob005
amob005

August 8th, 2004, 9:09 pm #1

I'm so anxious and annoyed at myself right now. It's 1:15 am in my country. I am in the middle of a 3000 word assignment due tomorrow and have only written one small paragraph. I have not smoked for 5 days. I want one now - I want to gorge on a pack. I really do. The 24 hour store is just downstairs!. I feel like I have lost 50 IQ points since I quit smoking. I want to chain-smoke. I'll write at super velocity if I do smoke, and I know I will get a good grade. I know I have to get past this. Writing here helps. This is the first stop. It's going to be a fight tonight, really it is. Ive been fuelling myself with coffee and chocolate - they can't compare to cigarettes though.
For some reason I want to cry. This is crazy. It's never been like this before.

Harryhays green
Harryhays green

August 8th, 2004, 9:31 pm #2

Amo,

Cry if you have to. Do not, DO NOT take another puff. I would rather you took a late grade then a cigarette. Trust me. Not smoking is much more important than a grade. I know. If you keep smoking, you won't have to worry about your grades because we will be burying you! (or whatever your culture is that we do when you die of lung cancer). That's why we are here, to give you support during these tough times.

Fay Nic free 30 days

Gormo Gold
Gormo Gold

August 8th, 2004, 9:32 pm #3

Hi amob005,
Congratulations on your Quit. Here's what we'll do. Find the biggest cup or glass you can. Fill it up with water. Tell yourself you can have that cigarette right after you finush 5 full glasses of water. Stop fighting your crave and embrace it. Meet, greet, defeat. By the time you're thru the 3rd glass your crave will have passed.
As each crave arrives, let it flow thru, rather than fighting back. Imagine yourself as a screen, rather than a stone wall.Breathe deep and relax and Welcome to Freedom!

Gormo
22 months smoke free

Juvinated
Juvinated

August 8th, 2004, 9:52 pm #4

Hi Ambo -- I'm hoping this post finds you feeling a bit better. I SOOOOO know what you're talking about with the loss of IQ. Work was quite a struggle for a few weeks (I read legal documents for a living!!). Anyway, in addition to a trigger, you have some junkie thinking going on just looking for an excuse to smoke. The good news is -- YOU CAN DEFEAT THAT!!! The fogginess will pass with time, but if you let your junkie thinking take hold and smoke -- you may not have another quit to nurture and care for. Right now there is NOTHING more important than your quit. In the big picture of your life the grade you get on one paper is not going to make the same impact on your life that your continuing to not smoke will right? So really, which is the SMARTER thing to do?? Read, Read, Read (sorry I can't link on this computer). You CAN do this and looking back you will be so happy that you did.

Kellie

Free and Healing for Two Months, Twenty One Days, 1 Hour and 37 Minutes, while extending my life expectancy 8 Days and 13 Hours, by avoiding the use of 2462 nicotine delivery devices that would have cost me $432.31.

amob005
amob005

August 8th, 2004, 10:12 pm #5

Hi everybody. I feel a lot better now. Writing about it really helps. Knowing that there are people out there who know how I feel brings me much closer to the knowledge that this time around I can follow through with my Quit. I know I would have gone downstairs and bought a pack if I hadn't spent the time leaving a message on the Freedom board. I tried the water thing Gormo, and I was skeptical at first, but it did leave me feeling queasy enough to not want that smoke as much! I just have to keep my mind on my work and off the cigarettes now!

My last Quit lasted for nearly two years. This Quit has to last a lifetime. Thanks everyone for responding and let's keep the nicotine in the trash where it belongs!

Yak Girl
Yak Girl

August 8th, 2004, 10:31 pm #6

Good Morning amob005,

I know that by now you are well into writing your paper -- and keeping a tight grip on your quit. You can do this -- it's tough -- but it's doable!!

I am almost nine months into my quit and still find chocolate to be a subtle trigger.

yqs,
YakGirl ~ smoke-free 266 days

Parker GOLD
Parker GOLD

August 8th, 2004, 11:07 pm #7

Glad to hear you are feeling better. Thought some reading might help. You might want to take a look at the anxiety issue in relationship to filling up with coffee and chocolate. I had to slash my coffee consumption after I quit. I always used to think decaf was for wimps and now that's what I drink!

It is also important to look at the language we choose to use. If you decide that you are going to suffer and struggle and have to fight all night, I'm pretty sure you are going to suffer and struggle and fight all night. Do some reading, it really will help. Be patient and know this is all going to get better. Take it one day, one hour at a time. This is very, very doable!

Regards,
Parker - 26 months

Caffeine and Quitting

Last Line of Defense (or Trump Card)

The Urge Hits!

Freedom's Best Crave Coping Tips !

I don't know if I have another quit in me.

Fixating on a cigarette.

I want one...

amob005
amob005

August 8th, 2004, 11:44 pm #8

I've decided to chill out and not worry about it. Been doing some reading and posting on the board, which is real helpful. Some of the stories on the board make the worries I have over my grade look stupid. I'm just going to hand this assignment in a day late. It's not worth smoking over.

Joannetta
Joannetta

August 9th, 2004, 12:18 pm #9

Hi amob005 - great news on just chilling out. I picked June 30 2004 as my quit day - expecting that my Masters coursework would be over. Not so - I ended up with another three weeks - and a major paper still to write. While writing the paper was truly a grind - thanks to Freedom my quit stayed strong - and I still got an A on the course!

Cheers, Joanne
Adding to my life for 1 month, 1 week, 3 days, 1 hour and 27 minutes. 801 cigarettes not smoked, saving $352.53. Life saved: 2 days, 18 hours, 45 minutes.

Finnatic
Finnatic

August 12th, 2004, 9:47 am #10

Amob005,
I came here to post my own crisis. But after reading yours, I decided not to. I have no paper to write...no deadline to meet. I am 6 days into my quit. I am a relapsed (2 miserable years) ex-smoker and my crisis is that my non-smoking spouse is away on personal holiday and not here to be my cheerleader in my hour of need. I am ready to to smoke right now. However, it is only me and the cat...and she would prefer I do not smoke. Oh yes,,,I've had a couple of glasses of wine to "relax". I just want to say "thank you". You have strengthened my resolve. My previous quit lasted 10 years. I am now 48 years old. My most passionate recreation is diving, and photographing marine life, yet I risk my life each time I do this and have developed a phobia each time I ascend just waiting for that arterial gas embolism to "hit" because I hide my addiction so well. What can you tell me about your own fears? I am giving you a big hug...get back to your paper. As you know, your addiction has no I.Q. but you do. Did I mention that I am also a nurse? Now, about that paper... :)