" I'm different, I'll never be comfortable without nicotine "

Joanne Gold

31 Jul 2002, 03:28 #1

Remember that little voice? Junkie Thinking!

" It just isn't a good time to quit, my life is so complicated"

Our addiction enjoys talking to us, we really need to get a bit closer and hear the truth....

We don't have to be strong to work through our addiction, we just have to be smart....

Maybe we can use this thread as a tool to share the hope for those working through the early stages of recovery. Feel free to join in, tell our new members what it is like to be a comfortable ex-smoker. : )

Quitting is really a process and what we are doing now is working through it. Here I am at three and a half years free, and I must tell you, there is no "junkie thinking" in my head, at any time. But, just like the a new quitter, I remain one puff away from relapse. In time, not smoking will be a way of life without the pains of our addiction scratching at the door, hence, that little voice. I often try to remember the times where smoking was just perfect for the situation (a wedding, funeral - etc), just to show myself the illogical mindset I once had. I am so proud and grateful to recognize the truth behind the lies - the stupidity of it all and how my life was once controlled by such a dangerous regiment, both physically and mentally.

For everyone recovering, thoughts of smoking will simply become a form of relief and nothing scary or bothersome. It is sort of like remembering something we did in our youth that wasn't too smart, we shook our heads and wondered what in the world we were thinking. When it comes to making vital decisions in life, it is amazing what a bit of growth and

understanding will do for any situation.

That little voice tried distorting my mindset - I often wondered if being clean from nicotine was always going to be some sort of inner struggle. I was positive that I was different than the rest. Life is different for each of us, but as nicotine addicts the promise of complete comfort is the same. We have taken the time to educate ourselves on addiction, this is where we find the true freedom. Free, meaning that we TRULY UNDERSTAND that we must NEVER TAKE ANOTHER PUFF...no matter what. Living out those situations and triggers associated to smoking and proving to ourselves, that life does go on without nicotine. No more going through the cycles of relapse or constant desires of wanting to quit and never knowing quite how. You are going to feel better, it will not be continuous work. Addiction has no cure, and of course, the remedy being... never taking that one puff. Be assured, you will not have to work on this forever.

The process is like learning to walk - it takes some patience and a bit of work to find our way...we do some observing and whatever it takes to get started...this along with the natural instinct to stand up and take those first steps...once we do....it may feel a bit unsteady...we hold on a bit and look to others for support...we do our best to keep going but we take little steps to keep the momentum going and give ourselves the chance to build up endurance and balance...we must be patient and take our time....before we know it....we are walking freely and all on our own....as time goes by it is natural that we take walking for granted....no more worries or work...we walk steady and enjoy our new freedom. BUT...no matter how long we have been walking freely....we must keep our eyes open and watch where we are going....if we happen to find an icy spot..we must call on our strategies that keep us from falling. There is no such thing as ONE PUFF for addicts, we would always end up taking ALL of them. A fall can cost us our lives.

It has always been helpful for me to read the concerns from new members, this not only serves as a reminder of what it once felt like to be an EX-SMOKER IN TEMPORARY RECOVERY but gives me the pleasure to share the truth and hope of what it REALLY feels like to be an EX-SMOKER IN TOTAL COMFORT. It gets better and better and I truly mean it. Pat yourself on the back for doing such a great job at working through this wonderful process, your life is certainly worth it!

Congratulations and a big warm welcome to all of our newbies. We hope you are finding the information and support helpful. Don't minimize for a second the great work you are doing, some folks could only dream of beginning this journey. So many smokers want to quit but can't quite find their way, very sad indeed. Just hold on tight because for each of us, the days of complete comfort do come. Thanks for being here with us, we look forward to making this wonderful journey with each of you. If you have any concerns or questions, feel free to get in touch with us. We must hold on tight..our lives are worth any temporary challenges, we deserve to be free from a killer addiction...the way we were meant to be!

Onward with baby steps....one day at a time....not one puff...no matter what.

Joanne
Gold ClubImage

Last edited by Joanne Gold on 01 May 2013, 11:16, edited 2 times in total.

SandyBob GOLD

31 Jul 2002, 04:02 #2

thank you!

thought provoking and encouraging!

SandyBob
6 weeks, 6 days

improud (golder)

31 Jul 2002, 04:07 #3

Joanne I can't even begin to expand on your post it was very well said I too am in a comfort zone that I NEVER thought I would be after smoking for 40+ years. It was a way of life something that I did and did not even hesitate to think about except when I "thought" I'd like to quit. Tried probably 5 times in my 40+ years but you just can't do it without education and the knowledge that you are an addict. Gosh I never wanted that word associated with me. But guess what when I read Whyquit.com and Joel's library I was extremely upset with those words telling me that I was an addict and then I realized that the truth will set you free and it has Education is a must, support is a very much needed, willpower and committment are so important and we owe it to ourselves to live the way we are meant to live SMOKE, NICOTINE FREE, quitting; is the best thing that I have done for myself and i'm so proud that I am now an exsmoker. Thanks Freedom Cathy ~ 1 Year 6 Months (almost 7 months) :))

Kit Cat (Gold)

31 Jul 2002, 04:49 #4

Joanne - wonderful article.
I too, thought that I would never live a life without nictine after smoking for 30 years! I felt that it was pointless for me to even try to quit especially when I knew I'd never make it. "Little" do we know. Education is so important. It's like your first year of school. If they don't teach you anything and you are not learning........alas, you repeat the same year over again. I'm thankful to a friend who found this site for me prior to my QUIT and the information I was able to glean from it. With the knowledge I have gained I have found it difficult to not PREACH to my smoking buddies! But, it's interesting since they've been watching my QUIT, they have all set their own QUIT dates since they've seen me do it. They too thought I wouldn't never make it without the nicotine. But, this is my QUIT and I'm enjoyng my FREEDOM. I now wish them luck in their QUITS and to remember to stay strong, keep healthy and TO NEVER TAKE ANOTHER PUFF!

Catherine
"I'd rather be an ex-smoker who has an occasional thought about smoking than a smoker obsessing about quitting."
I have not smoked for 2 Months 3 Weeks 3 Days 14 Hours 46 Minutes 41 Seconds.
I'M NEVER TAKING ANOTHER PUFF!

DubiouslyDos

31 Jul 2002, 06:57 #5

Beautifully said, and so true it hurt - my friends all smoke still, even knowing the success I'm having here they are manufacturing their own little junkie excuses to continue their habit. I had to let go of my junkie thinking - particularly about so much going on I just can't quit "right now"...
But you know, one day you realize that EVERYDAY....ya just can't quit "right now". It will always be "not today" and years go by. That's when you make the decision to quit or smoke for the rest of your life - when you accept that you are not "stronger" than nicotine....everything gets easier.

Thanks for putting that up today Joanne!

Dos (Dubious)
9 Weeks 7 Hours 56 Minutes

richard This is It GOLD

31 Jul 2002, 08:08 #6

Hi Joanne, I'd just like to say:
For everyone recovering, thoughts of smoking will simply become a form of relief and nothing scary or bothersome. It is sort of like remembering something we did in our youth that wasn't too smart, we shook our heads and wondered what in the world we were thinking. When it comes to making vital decisions in life, it is amazing what a bit of growth and understanding will do for any situation.

That little voice tried distorting my mindset - I often wondered if being clean from nicotine was always going to be some sort of inner struggle. I was positive that I was different than the rest. Life is different for each of us, but as nicotine addicts the promise of complete comfort is the same. We have taken the time to educate ourselves on addiction, this is where we find the true freedom. Free, meaning that we TRULY UNDERSTAND that we can NEVER TAKE ANOTHER PUFF...no matter what. Living out those situations and triggers associated to smoking and proving to ourselves, that life does go on without nicotine. No more going through the cycles of relapse or constant desires of wanting to quit and never knowing quite how. You are going to feel better, it will not be continuos work. Addiction has no cure, and of course, the remedy being... never taking that one puff. Be assured, you will not have to work on this forever.

The process is like learning to walk - it takes some patience and a bit of work to find our way...we do some observing and whatever it takes to get started...this along with the natural instinct to stand up and take those first steps...once we do....it may feel a bit unsteady...we hold on a bit and look to others for support...we do our best to keep going but we take little steps to keep the momentum going and give ourselves the chance to build up endurance and balance...we must be patient and take our time....before we know it....we are walking freely and all on our own....as time goes by it is natural that we take walking for granted....no more worries or work...we walk steady and enjoy our new freedom. BUT...no matter how long we have been walking freely....we must keep our eyes open and watch where we are going....if we happen to find an icy spot..we must call on our strategies that keep us from falling. There is no such thing as ONE PUFF for addicts, we would always end up taking ALL of them. A fall can cost us our lives.

It has always been helpful for me to read the concerns from new members, this not only serves as a reminder of what it once felt like to be an EXSMOKER IN TEMPORARY RECOVERY but gives me the pleasure to share the truth and hope of what it REALLY feels like to be an EXSMOKER IN TOTAL COMFORT. It gets better and better and I truly mean it. Pat yourself on the back for doing such a great job at working through this wonderful process, your life is certainly worth it!

Congratulations and a big warm welcome to all of our newbies. We hope you are finding the information and support helpful. Don't minimize for a second the great work you are doing, some folks could only dream of beginning this journey. So many smokers want to quit but can't quite find their way, very sad indeed. Just hold on tight because for each of us, the days of complete comfort do come. Thanks for being here with us, we look forward to making this wonderful journey with each of you. If you have any concerns or questions, feel free to get in touch with us. We must hold on tight..our lives are worth any temporary challenges, we deserve to be free from a killer addiction...the way we were meant to be!

Onward with baby steps....one day at a time....not one puff...no matter what.
but somebody beat me to it......Image
but I wholeheartedly endorse every word !!! -richard

Toast (GOLD )

31 Jul 2002, 08:15 #7

Image Thank you, Joanne! Image

Image Melissa
Gold Club

Kat44PlatinumPrincess

31 Jul 2002, 08:31 #8

I am a relatively newbie, but already I don't think about smoking all the time like I did when I was addicted. It is so much better being a recovering addict, than an active one!!! Glad to be FREEEEEEE!!! WHEEEEE!!Image Kat44 I have chosen not to smoke for 1 Month 2 Weeks 4 Days 21 Hours 59 Minutes 19 Seconds. Cigarettes not smoked: 978. Money saved: $141.37.

John (Gold)

31 Jul 2002, 10:10 #9

If someone had come up to me during day three of any of my prior quits and told me that if I just hung in there - one day at a time - that it wouldn't be toooo long before I'd begin experiencing a deeper sense of inner calmness than I'd ever know while smoking, I would have thought them I liar! If they'd told me that it was far far easier being an recovered nicotine addict than making sure I was fully prepared for my next required nicotine feeding, I would have thought them a liar!

If they'd told me that I'd still be the exact same person, that I  keep my edge (or maybe better) and that all I'd be giving up was my chemical dependency, I would have thought them a liar. If they'd told me that it really wasn't too late to stop the damage and in many cases reverse it, and that unless the damage was permanent that within just 90 days I should expect an almost one-third increase in overall lung function, I would have thought them a liar.

All I can say now is that the lies were the bars that kept me a prisoner inside my own mind. It isn't necessary that you believe any of us but I do think you've earned the right to see for yourself what it's really like being free! As Papa Jim used to say, if you give it 90 days and you're not totally satisfied with the new you, we'll gladly give you a 100% refund of your misery! Thanks for the comfort thread Jo! John : )
Last edited by John (Gold) on 30 Mar 2010, 18:41, edited 1 time in total.

Nora (Gold)

31 Jul 2002, 10:14 #10

Thank you Joanne for a great post.

I was one of those that didn't think I would ever be comfortable without my fix of nicotine. Just goes to show you what an education on nicotine addiction can do for you.

The thrill when you first realize you didn't think about smoking all day!!!!! Boy does that ever build your self-esteem. There are so many things to look forward to in this quitting process.

Newbies, the time will come when you are comfortable without smoking. When you are feeling down, just post and let your feelings be known.

I cannot even imagine I would ever want to put another cigarette in my mouth.

Nora
1Y,11M,25D