" I'm different, I'll never be comfortable without nicotine "

Toast (GOLD )

20 May 2003, 08:03 #21

OBob wrote:

At some point, though, I decided to take it on faith...... I am no different than the others here with respect to the comfort that awaits me after quitting. I decided it was worth at least another couple weeks of doing the same to find out. I'd come that far.... let's see if I'm different or not. I'll never know if I just go back to smoking now.
Guess what.... they were right. Within a couple weeks, I was feeling REAL comfort. The kind they'd told me about. There were still challenges, but they were getting easier. And it just kept getting better.

And he was right!

Image Melissa
23 months

John (Gold)

26 Jun 2003, 22:46 #22

Due to our own prior quitting history or horror stories from  others, we may start this temporary journey of adjustment with a humble or even frightened sense of confidence but before long a warm smile floods our mind and face as we truly begin to believe, with every fiber of your being, that this quit is different. This is it! Freedom's dream is unfolding before our eyes!

If every smoker on earth could magically spend just one day again feeling that almost constant sense of calmness that resided inside their mind immediately before climbing aboard that endless nicotine/dopamine roller coaster ride of highs and lows, they'd seize that day as motivation for the journey home to "them." There's no pot of gold at the end of the quit rainbow. Instead, what you'll find, all the gold in the world cannot buy. What awaits you is "you," fully engaging every aspect of life without the need to feed nicotine's two-hour chemical half-life.

Forget a momen about improved breathing, smoking related health concerns, living a full life, the pile of money your save, your loved ones, and all the social pressures, what about starting home - just one hour and challenge at a time - as your loving gift of "you" to "you!" Anything the chemically captive you can do, the free and real you can do even better!

Patience, baby steps, the next few minutes will always be doable and no subconsciously triggered crave episode will last longer than three minutes. Be sure and look at a clock as time distortion during early cessation is very real! Also, remember to put a small amounts of fuel into your tummy every few hours as nicotine will no longer be feeding you by pumping stored fats and sugars into your bloodstream via adrenaline releases. We don't need to add wild avoidable blood-sugar swing symptoms to our journey!
Breathe deep, hug hard, live long! John - The Gold Club
Last edited by John (Gold) on 30 Mar 2010, 18:53, edited 1 time in total.

John (Gold)

30 Jul 2003, 09:49 #23

Is there any challenge out there that's bigger than your dreams?
or
Will the next few minutes always be doable?

John (Gold)

11 Sep 2003, 21:08 #24

We Are "Real" Drug Addicts

If you removed all nicotine from your brand of cigarettes how long do you think you would have continued smoking them? According to R.J. Reynolds Tobacco Company the tobacco industry has known that nicotine was the sine qua non of smoking for over thirty years. How long have you had to come to terms with this critical realization?

It will be very difficult to not become comfortable without nicotine if you'll only use the next few weeks to be honest with you. We each walked through life insulated by a thick blanket of dependency, cost and recovery denial that protected us  from truth.

Our inital youthful decision to like or not like the dopmaine spike sensed within 8 to 10 seconds of that first puff of nicotine (that aaahhh sensation) became meaningless once we became chemically hooked. What was our only alternative? Look around at Freedom. This forum reflects the only alternative any of us had - withdrawal and recovery to the "real" us!

Being truthful about the entire spectrum of a nicotine addict's feeding cycle should help allow you to find you again. Yes, there was a dopamine spike but the bottom spike the anxiety, inner turmoil and sense of depression of going far beyond the real you and a crashing type low below. Yes, there was a dopamine spike but the other end of the spike can be easily seen here at Freedom (Help Me - SOS).

But Freedom isn't about artifical chemical highs and lows but about you developing the honesty, insight, recovery philosophy, and basic patience needed to give yourself an opportunity to meet "you" again.

Drug addiction isn't about getting high but about feeling normal. Somewhere between the dopamine high and the anxiety/depressive low resides the "real" you. It's a comfortable place where the sad moments of life are lived and not escaped from by nicotine providing a sudden burst of dopamine. On the other end, home is also a place where the joyous moments in life are not being constantly interrupted by the anxieties associated with badly needing another fix.

This place isn't about quitting you but recovering you! Each and every crave episode that's moved beyond is a true sign restoring the real you. Each and every smoking related thought is a golden opportunity to cast it in honest light and set the record straight. There is no such thing as one (addiction denial), smoking nicotine is self-destructive (cost denial), and you are no different than us and you can again be comfortable as you (recovery deinal).

For most of us this is the most amazing journey in healing that we've ever embarked upon. These are speical days, a time to proud of you. Forget about tomorrow, the next few minutes are all that really matter and there's only one rule - no nicotine today, Never Take Another Puff! John
Last edited by John (Gold) on 30 Mar 2010, 18:54, edited 1 time in total.

Joanne Gold

04 Dec 2003, 12:57 #25

"For everyone recovering, thoughts of smoking will simply become a form of relief and nothing scary or bothersome. It is sort of like remembering something we did in our youth that wasn't too smart, we shook our heads and wondered what in the world we were thinking.ImageImageWhen it comes to making vital decisions in life, it is amazing what a bit of growth and understanding will do for any situation."

IrishLotus GOLD

19 Mar 2004, 03:02 #26

For Erica Image...we've all been there. Hang on tight!

YQS~ImageLotus

Proud and COMFORTABLE member of Freedom's GOLD club!!!

SandyBob GOLD

20 Mar 2004, 05:03 #27

Well,

it's been almost 20 months of not a puff. I can so relate to everything Joanne said here so long ago. I am walking. I haven't lost my balance in a long time! I get excited on a daily basis about my Freedom. I am so grateful that I learned from the "oldbies" here, when I was a mere "newbie". What a journey. I still visit here on a daily basis and am reminded of my early struggles. Yes, I do remember. And just like they all said - it got easier. It got better, and better, and continues to get better. I always told myself and everyone else that I had responded to here, that this is a Journey. I knew it was at the time, but I never realized, until recently, that there seems to be no destination! I reached comfort a long time ago, or at least what I thought was comfort.

To all the "newbies" - Welcome to Freedom and Congratulations on making the very best decision of your lives! Keep up the great quits. Keep the Faith. Comfort is waiting - and that's a promise!

Never Take Another Puff for One Day At A Time, and look what can happen!

SandyBob
21+ months without a puff!

jane kathryn

09 Apr 2004, 00:18 #28

Wow, somehow I missed this one, great post.

Jane K

I have been quit for 4 Weeks, 1 Day, 13 hours, 19 minutes and 11 seconds (29 days). I have saved $110.82 by not smoking 443 cigarettes. I have saved 1 Day, 12 hours and 55 minutes of my life.

Toast (GOLD )

12 Jun 2004, 02:24 #29

ImageIf someone had come up to me during day three of any of my prior quits and told me that if I just hung in there - one day at a time - that it wouldn't be toooo long before I'd begin experiencing a deeper sense of inner calmness than I'd ever know while smoking, I would have thought them I liar! If they'd told me that it was far far easier being an recovered nicotine addict than making sure I was fully prepared for my next required nicotine feeding, I would have thought them a liar!

If they'd told me that I'd still be the exact same person, that I  keep my edge (or maybe better) and that all I'd be giving up was my chemical dependency, I would have thought them a liar. If they'd told me that it really wasn't too late to stop the damage and in many cases reverse it, and that unless the damage was permanent that within just 90 days I should expect an almost one-third increase in overall lung function, I would have thought them a liar.

All I can say now is that the lies were the bars that kept me a prisoner inside my own mind. It isn't necessary that you believe any of us but I do think you've earned the right to see for yourself what it's really like being free! As Papa Jim used to say, if you give it 90 days and you're not totally satisfied with the new you, we'll gladly give you a 100% refund of your misery! Thanks for the comfort thread Jo! John : )

Ditto.

Image Melissa
36 months
Last edited by Toast (GOLD ) on 30 Mar 2010, 19:02, edited 1 time in total.

Roger (Gold)

27 Sep 2004, 00:53 #30

ImageWe are all different and unique individuals. When it comes to nicotine addiction, we are all addicts. When it comes to quitting..........

Every quit is different

When it comes to comfort, it happens to all of us in its own time as long as we never take another puff.
Last edited by Roger (Gold) on 30 Mar 2010, 19:04, edited 1 time in total.