" I'm different, I'll never be comfortable without nicotine "

Roger (Gold)

31 Jul 2002, 11:47 #11

Joanne,

Well said. Thanks for you thoughts. They left me with many of my own thoughts to reflect upon.

Roger

7 Months

TJOHNgold

31 Jul 2002, 12:11 #12

Joanne,
I can't believe you and Marty posting identical themes today...it was like you were reading my mind (see my post on Marty's). I really thought it would be getting easier but it's getting harder...this scares me a little. I guess it doesn't matter because I know what I need and have to do...but thanks for reminding me that the future will be better.
TJ
I have chosen not to smoke for 3 Weeks 1 Day 20 Hours 2 Minutes 57 Seconds. Cigarettes not smoked: 913. Money saved: $159.85.

Joanne Gold

31 Jul 2002, 13:16 #13

Hi T John, I was just processing some of Freedom's new applications (hey, where are all these new guys coming from?) and took one last look at the board before bed when I discovered your post, thanks for the input. I hear ya loud and clear with the uncertainty of it all. During my early days I remember really zeroingImage in on the ONE DAY AT A TIME concept.
Just get through the moment and don't worry about the next one until it comes. It really is the key here. Joel tells us, for some, we are led to think it gets harder as more time goes by. What may be really going on here - those first few days every minute is a constant thought about quitting...no matter what we seem to do, we are reminded that we no longer are reaching for nicotine. Then, it really doesn't take long to get used to the fact that we no longer need a fix, our body is not in a constant roller coaster of withdrawal. As we gain this comfort and a situation does occur, a trigger to smoke, it about startles us since every moment is no longer focused on smoking. Boy, did I just confuse you or what. lolImage I'll attach Joel's article* he explains this much better than I can. Image

We can tell you in thousands of posts that things get better but you will see for yourself, soon enough, everything falls into place. As I said in my post, I thought myself to be different and didn't truly believe things would be back to normal. Normal? Heck, some of us had been smoking for so long we had no recollection as to what it felt like not to be controlled by a drug.

Hold on tight T John, focus on your reasons for quitting, look upon each day as a true victory for not taking that first one. As our other John says...it's doable!

Anyway, it is getting late here but I wanted you to know that we are listening and understanding your present concerns. Great work, and congratulations for taking your life back! What a wonderful gift you have given to yourself, hold it close.

A big thanks to everyone else who responded, I appreciate your support and valued input.

Never take another puff...

Your friend - JoanneImage

Thoughts that seem worse than the first days urges

You said it would get better but it's just as bad!

Smoking triggers

Why am I still having "urges?"

Emotional loss experienced when quitting

Last edited by Joanne Gold on 30 Mar 2010, 18:50, edited 2 times in total.

misledfairy

31 Jul 2002, 22:36 #14

Please read this Lance, every single word is very true to all of us, and thanks Joanne for a lovely post. Imageand here I was thinking it had been me who was different from the rest and needed nicotene more than anyone else, seems I was wrong then Image yet again I find out that none of the feelings we go through are unique.
Love Naymor xxxx

Joanne Gold

13 Oct 2002, 17:05 #15

Every nicotine addict has asked it....
"Now that I have learned so much about my addiction and understand that I should never take another puff....how long will it take to feel comfortable where I am not constantly thinking about smoking?"
Moving through the twists and turns of daily life are the stepping stones to comfort and freedom.
Experience is the essence!
Last edited by Joanne Gold on 30 Mar 2010, 18:51, edited 1 time in total.

Joanne Gold

24 Oct 2002, 14:43 #16

For those of you out there struggling a bit, I hope this helps.
Hang in there!Image

ZAREFAH

15 Dec 2002, 20:42 #17

(((JoAnne)))

I've been caught lurking! Even us old timers come around once in a while for a good dose of re-inforcement. Once an addict, always an addict:)

I began smoking at 9. It took me 35 years to find Freedom. I am truly one of those people of whom you speak. I truly did not know what "normal" was. I did not remember a time in my life ever that I wasn't looking for a smoke. Was I scared? You bet I was! Like John says, my addiction was supported by years and years of my own self-denial! Deep down inside I really didn't know if I even wanted to live without them! Or if I even could! If cigarettes were killing me then what the heck. Live by the sword, die by the sword. Yes, I really have said that.

Knowledge is what gives us the power to walk through all our fears. We learn that it is the substance that keeps us in bondage. Only by clearing it from our systems do we really have the freedom to choose. For those of you struggling remember that you have the secret weapon...the truth. When you feel scared or weak, remind yourself of what you know. Come back here and re-inforce it. Every day you are dis-abling triggers. Every day you are learning to live without a smoke. There is a wonderful day just ahead for you. It is the day you wake up, look in the mirror and see that brand new wonderful self, the one that doesn't need or want nicotine anymore.

Big hugs, Joy

~Two years, six months, one week, four days, 10 hours, 41 minutes and 44 seconds. 18488 cigarettes not smoked, saving $2,958.36. Life saved: 9 weeks, 1 day, 4 hours, 40 minutes~

OBob Gold

21 Jan 2003, 04:15 #18

You know, Tess and I were talking last night about a friend who's approaching a month nic-free. Last year, when the 2 of us quit, our friend was pretty certain that she had no desire to quit, and no confidence that she ever could.

Tess and I agreed that an important component of both her eventual decision to quit, and of maintaining her resolve over the rough patches during her first few weeks, was the assurance from others who had walked the path, that life IS comfortable for ex-smokers.... in fact, more comfortable than it was as a smoker (not having to deal with chronic withdrawal and all). In addition to Tess and me, 3 other common friends have quits going of 5 months or more. Our friend has been able to see several friends go through the trials of withdrawal and adjustment, and come out on the other side, finding themselves leading more comfortable lives than before.

At somewhere between 2 and 3 weeks, I was finding it pretty rough. My junky mind was in overdrive, and the assurances of those who'd walked before me were sounding like distant voices. At some point, though, I decided to take it on faith...... I am no different than the others here with respect to the comfort that awaits me after quitting. I decided it was worth at least another couple weeks of doing the same to find out. I'd come that far.... let's see if I'm different or not. I'll never know if I just go back to smoking now.

Guess what.... they were right. Within a couple weeks, I was feeling REAL comfort. The kind they'd told me about. There were still challenges, but they were getting easier. And it just kept getting better.

When you're in the depths of it, at some point, you've got to look at your situation and say, I've come this far, let's see if they're telling me the truth, or quit trying and never know.

You're not different. It gets better. I promise.

Joanne Gold

01 Apr 2003, 13:23 #19

....how long will it take to feel comfortable where I am not constantly thinking about smoking?
Moving through the twists and turns of daily life are the stepping stones to comfort and freedom.
Experience is the essence!
ImageImage

OBob Gold

06 May 2003, 10:15 #20

For Lynda (comfort is yours, if you'll allow it to be)...

Last edited by OBob Gold on 30 Mar 2010, 19:04, edited 1 time in total.