I Liked My Other Support Group More

Joel

01 Jan 2008, 02:33 #51

Being that we are entering into what is likely to be one of our busiest times of the year, a time when more people just considering quitting are going to be looking in than normal, I want all members to be aware of the influence they may have on helping others to improve their health and to very likely save their lives.

From the string "The Freedom Classroom"

Our purpose for such measures is to try to insure that all of the information passed along at Freedom is in line with principles we are trying to teach and that all members understand our rules and regulations before they start posting. This is important to us because there a lots of people who are reading and learning at our site--a whole lot more than are actual members at our site.

We actually don't know how many readers we get at Freedom--we have no way of counting. We know that we have had somewhere around 4,000 members over the past six years and that this sounds like a lot of readers. Most of our people come from finding www.whyquit.com. We do suspect that there is a significant percentage of people who find www.whyquit.com and then come over an look at Freedom. While we can't count our readers at Freedom we do get some indications of our readers at www.whyquit.com

Since December of 2002 we have had over 1,056,000 distinct hosts view pages at www.whyquit.com. If only 10% of these people find their way to Freedom it would still be over 100,000 people. The numbers may be higher. While we don't know the exact numbers of people who do read we know it is a lot.

Every person posting at Freedom has an awesome responsibility because every word you are writing is capable of influencing hundreds or even thousands of people. Considering what we are trying to influence them to do, which is to quit smoking and to save their lives, it is easy to see how why we feel that this is indeed an awesome responsibility.

We want people here at Freedom to learn as much as they can in their time here. The test that our members and readers are studying for is to develop the skills understanding needed to quit smoking and to stay free. Failing those kind of tests can cost a person his or her quit, his or her health and eventually, his or her life.

and

In a real sense though our membership requirements are not designed to just protect our members though. It is designed to protect all of our readers. Becoming an active member at Freedom carries some degree of responsibility. From a personal perspective of the member, there is a personal responsibility to himself or herself. Responsibility for posting members doesn't stop at himself or herself though. Posting members also have the ability to affect other members and other readers and basically the whole board by what they write on the board.

That is why we want people who are members to read and learn all that they can before they start exerting any influence on others. We know from our past experience that people coming in who have done very little reading or worse yet, people who come in who have done extensive reading at other sites have very little idea of all they need to know to quit smoking and to sustain their quits. Often, people pick up lots of ideas elsewhere that fall under the category of conventional wisdom or even pick up ideas that fit into what is currently considered the state of the art in professional cessation circles. The problem is conventional wisdom and state of the art philosophies usually result in very low cessation rates.

Joel

16 Jan 2008, 07:35 #52

From the string "The Freedom Classroom"

Our purpose for such measures is to try to insure that all of the information passed along at Freedom is in line with principles we are trying to teach and that all members understand our rules and regulations before they start posting. This is important to us because there a lots of people who are reading and learning at our site--a whole lot more than are actual members at our site.

We actually don't know how many readers we get at Freedom--we have no way of counting. We know that we have had somewhere around 4,000 members over the past six years and that this sounds like a lot of readers. Most of our people come from finding www.whyquit.com. We do suspect that there is a significant percentage of people who find www.whyquit.com and then come over an look at Freedom. While we can't count our readers at Freedom we do get some indications of our readers at www.whyquit.com

Since December of 2002 we have had over 1,056,000 distinct hosts view pages at www.whyquit.com. If only 10% of these people find their way to Freedom it would still be over 100,000 people. The numbers may be higher. While we don't know the exact numbers of people who do read we know it is a lot.

Every person posting at Freedom has an awesome responsibility because every word you are writing is capable of influencing hundreds or even thousands of people. Considering what we are trying to influence them to do, which is to quit smoking and to save their lives, it is easy to see how why we feel that this is indeed an awesome responsibility.

We want people here at Freedom to learn as much as they can in their time here. The test that our members and readers are studying for is to develop the skills understanding needed to quit smoking and to stay free. Failing those kind of tests can cost a person his or her quit, his or her health and eventually, his or her life.

and

In a real sense though our membership requirements are not designed to just protect our members though. It is designed to protect all of our readers. Becoming an active member at Freedom carries some degree of responsibility. From a personal perspective of the member, there is a personal responsibility to himself or herself. Responsibility for posting members doesn't stop at himself or herself though. Posting members also have the ability to affect other members and other readers and basically the whole board by what they write on the board.

That is why we want people who are members to read and learn all that they can before they start exerting any influence on others. We know from our past experience that people coming in who have done very little reading or worse yet, people who come in who have done extensive reading at other sites have very little idea of all they need to know to quit smoking and to sustain their quits. Often, people pick up lots of ideas elsewhere that fall under the category of conventional wisdom or even pick up ideas that fit into what is currently considered the state of the art in professional cessation circles. The problem is conventional wisdom and state of the art philosophies usually result in very low cessation rates.

hwc5

17 Jun 2008, 14:21 #53

I certainly appreciate this forum and whyquit.com for helping me quit smoking. However, I'm not sure that I fully appreciated the wisdom of the approach here until I started reading the tales at other stop smoking sites. I feel so horrible for people "planning" their quits a month or more in advance, basically torturing themselves before they even try to stop smoking.

Maybe it's just me, but I figure you've got to "pay the piper" to kick the nic addiction. But, I want to pay the piper as quickly as possible and get it over with. Sheesh, one week of suffering and I had kicked the addiciton in the teeth cold turkey and was well on my way to being a non-smoker.

My message to any lurkers. If 47 million people (and I) can quit, you can, too. Just stop smoking. Tonight. You can do it. You don't have to torture yourself for two months to "get ready". Just quit. As long as you make a firm commitment to never take another puff, there isn't even any real debate when you want a cigarrette. You've already made up your mind.

Joel

17 Jun 2008, 21:02 #54

Freedom is not a blog, not a chat room, not a place where people come to meet colorful characters, and not a standard support group where anything goes. Freedom is an educational forum first and foremost, one that offers some support and affords some camaraderie, but those two facets are secondary in importance to our mission. Our primary mission is helping people understand what they need to do to quit smoking and to stay off smoking. There are plenty of sites that people can go to and find the kind of support that a chat site gives or blogs that shows off creative writing skills of new quitters. Our site is nowhere as good as a lot of other sites at filling these functions. We do however believe that our site is second to none at providing serious and focused education and support.

Joel

22 Aug 2008, 08:43 #55

From above:

I saw where a member who has been off for a couple of months felt as if a group hug would help secure her quit. To be honest, there are a whole lot of bigger Internet support groups out there who will be able to give their members much bigger group hugs.

Just yesterday I sent a promotional piece to a major medical association who is condisering referring physicians to our site to help their patients. Here is how I described Freedom in that piece:

Freedom is an interactive bulletin board that offers more than the cheerleading approach of similar sites. The Freedom board offers professional advice from the moderator of many Stop Smoking Clinics and support from ex-smokers who quit through the Freedom site. The smoker is guided to an understanding of nicotine addiction. Freedom prepares participants to face problems experienced during the early quitting period. New quitters are taught how to deal with situations likely to be encountered over the long term. Major emphasis is placed on relapse prevention techniques.
-----------------------
What really helps our members and readers strengthen their ability to quit is not the hugs we give but the insights and information that all of our members can share. Our strength is in geting all of our reader to recognize that they can face all future obstacles in life with their quits intact if they simply make and stick to a personal commitment to never take another puff.

Joel

Joel

14 Sep 2008, 22:48 #56

The following comment is also from the string

I saw where a member who has been off for a couple of months felt as if a group hug would help secure her quit. To be honest, there are a whole lot of bigger Internet support groups out there who will be able to give their members much bigger group hugs.

Just yesterday I sent a promotional piece to a major medical association who is condisering referring physicians to our site to help their patients. Here is how I described Freedom in that piece:

Freedom is an interactive bulletin board that offers more than the cheerleading approach of similar sites. The Freedom board offers professional advice from the moderator of many Stop Smoking Clinics and support from ex-smokers who quit through the Freedom site. The smoker is guided to an understanding of nicotine addiction. Freedom prepares participants to face problems experienced during the early quitting period. New quitters are taught how to deal with situations likely to be encountered over the long term. Major emphasis is placed on relapse prevention techniques.

What really helps our members and readers strengthen their ability to quit is not the hugs we give but the insights and information that all of our members can share. Our strength is in geting all of our reader to recognize that they can face all future obstacles in life with their quits intact if they simply make and stick to a personal commitment to never take another puff.

Joel

What can Freedom do for me?
Last edited by Joel on 19 Dec 2011, 20:57, edited 1 time in total.

Joel Spitzer

25 Aug 2012, 16:07 #57

Last edited by Joel Spitzer on 25 Aug 2012, 16:09, edited 1 time in total.