I Liked My Other Support Group More

GrumpyOMrsS (Gold)

02 Oct 2004, 02:13 #31

We have had a couple of incidents in the past couple of days where newer members put up posts that are not in line with Freedom guidelines. We are not a typical Internet bulletin board where anything goes. We don't allow colorful jokes or the use of colorful phrases. At times we get members who feel the need to press the envelope. This is not a good idea for people who wish to remain Freedom members for we really tolerate very little when it comes to these kind of posts. Posts that get out of hand will be edited or deleted and if repeated by a member or flagrant enough, membership will be pulled.

As this post discusses, we are not trying to be the biggest, most active or the most enteraining site on the Internet. We are going to try to be the most focused on the importance on smoking cessation and a site in which anyone can refer people of any age to come to learn about the dangers of smoking, the benefits of quitting and to understand how to stop and most importantly, how to stay off. We are providing a site that makes it crystral clear in no uncertain and clean terms that the way to get off smoking and to stay off of smoking is as easy as simply knowing to never take another puff!

Joel

Joel

18 Dec 2004, 22:03 #32

I just saw a couple of newer members expressing a desire to have a little humor here at Freedom. We do in fact have humor interspersed throughout our board--but we are careful as to what form that humor takes and the humor used has to have some relevance to the importance of not smoking. We don't go for cheap laughs here at Freedom. We don't want new members starting out on with any inaccurate perceptions of how Freedom operates.

Here is a post from earlier this year that explains this issue:
ImageRecommend Message 54 of 77 in Discussion
I just deleted a string that basically did not fit in to the style that we operate with here at Freedom. While the string was asking about a symptom that may have been caused from quitting smoking, the manner in which the topic was being treated was in less than a serious and adult manner. We don't go for cheap laughs here at Freedom.

Not surprisingly, the string had a few occurrences of the acronym "LOL" (laugh out loud) in it. Any people who utilize most Internet Bulletin Boards or chat rooms know the term well. I think it is important to point out though that Freedom is not trying to be a typical Internet board or chat room.

Just a couple of days ago a knew member wrote in a post that he did not know what "LOL" meant. I felt as if he felt somewhat handicapped in getting around our board because he didn't know the lingo. I wrote the following comments to him. Again, I think the comments apply to this situation too.

From the other string:
"LOL" stands for "Laugh Out Loud." This is a very commonly used acronym or computer jargon used around the Internet and especially in chat type rooms. Whether you learn the phrases of not should not impair your ability to work in our site though. We are not an Internet chat site--we are set up to be an educational forum. If you do go on to explore the common acronyms we hope that you never feel the need to use them here. We do realize that there are some people who find us one of the first sites they visit on the Internet. Linda (Grmpyomrss) actually has a good post talking about this. By using phrases that are acronyms not understand to computer novices we may make these people feel like they don't have the necessary Internet language skills to get the full benefit of our board. We hope that a total computer novice can get all of the materials and understanding they need by navigating through our site. So if you are looking to use the Internet for more social chat areas you may want to explore learning the language of the land but to keep up with our site is as easy as understanding one acronym that is sometimes used here which is "NTAP," or more clearly spelled out to just know that to stay smoke free is as simple as knowing to never take another puff! Joel

ImageRecommend ImageDelete Message 17 of 18 in Discussion
One more thing about commonly used computer jargon. Some of them are acronyms for words that are against our profanity clause. Use of those acronyms will be pulled and could result in the loss of posting privileges. Here is our general comment on the topic found in Our Courtesies and Rules - 2003 thread.
Freedom is a Family Channel - Rated "G"
We remind our newbies and lurkers alike that these threads and posts are being read by children and teens around the globe both for purposes of prevention and cessation, and that we are the family channel. Also, many of our members have their own children hanging over their shoulders as they post. We ask each member to keep their language appropriate and rated "G" for general audiences. Thanks!
No profanity will be tolerated at Freedom--this includes cleverly masked words.
Example:
Nev** t*ke an**her p**f!
Most people recognize the masked phrase to mean "never take another puff."
The same people who can figure this out can figure out other disguised terms too.
If you use "G" rated words you can spell out exactly what you mean, so there is no confusion. So to stay free from smoking just remember in no uncertain terms to N E V E R T A K E A N O T H E R P U F F !

Joel

08 Jan 2005, 19:44 #33

ImageRecommend Message 79 of 80 in Discussion
ImageRecommend Message 78 of 78 in Discussion
I just saw a couple of newer members expressing a desire to have a little humor here at Freedom. We do in fact have humor interspersed throughout our board--but we are careful as to what form that humor takes and the humor used has to have some relevance to the importance of not smoking. We don't go for cheap laughs here at Freedom. We don't want new members starting out on with any inaccurate perceptions of how Freedom operates. Here is a post from earlier this year that explains this issue:
ImageRecommend Message 54 of 77 in Discussion
I just deleted a string that basically did not fit in to the style that we operate with here at Freedom. While the string was asking about a symptom that may have been caused from quitting smoking, the manner in which the topic was being treated was in less than a serious and adult manner. We don't go for cheap laughs here at Freedom.

Not surprisingly, the string had a few occurrences of the acronym "LOL" (laugh out loud) in it. Any people who utilize most Internet Bulletin Boards or chat rooms know the term well. I think it is important to point out though that Freedom is not trying to be a typical Internet board or chat room.

Just a couple of days ago a new member wrote in a post that he did not know what "LOL" meant. I felt as if he felt somewhat handicapped in getting around our board because he didn't know the lingo. I wrote the following comments to him. Again, I think the comments apply to this situation too.

From the other string:
"LOL" stands for "Laugh Out Loud." This is a very commonly used acronym or computer jargon used around the Internet and especially in chat type rooms. Whether you learn the phrases of not should not impair your ability to work in our site though. We are not an Internet chat site--we are set up to be an educational forum. If you do go on to explore the common acronyms we hope that you never feel the need to use them here. We do realize that there are some people who find us one of the first sites they visit on the Internet. Linda (Grmpyomrss) actually has a good post talking about this. By using phrases that are acronyms not understand to computer novices we may make these people feel like they don't have the necessary Internet language skills to get the full benefit of our board. We hope that a total computer novice can get all of the materials and understanding they need by navigating through our site. So if you are looking to use the Internet for more social chat areas you may want to explore learning the language of the land but to keep up with our site is as easy as understanding one acronym that is sometimes used here which is "NTAP," or more clearly spelled out to just know that to stay smoke free is as simple as knowing to never take another puff! Joel

ImageRecommend ImageDelete Message 17 of 18 in Discussion
One more thing about commonly used computer jargon. Some of them are acronyms for words that are against our profanity clause. Use of those acronyms will be pulled and could result in the loss of posting privileges. Here is our general comment on the topic found in Our Courtesies and Rules - 2003 thread.
Freedom is a Family Channel - Rated "G"
We remind our newbies and lurkers alike that these threads and posts are being read by children and teens around the globe both for purposes of prevention and cessation, and that we are the family channel. Also, many of our members have their own children hanging over their shoulders as they post. We ask each member to keep their language appropriate and rated "G" for general audiences. Thanks!
No profanity will be tolerated at Freedom--this includes cleverly masked words.
Example:
Nev** t*ke an**her p**f!
Most people recognize the masked phrase to mean "never take another puff."
The same people who can figure this out can figure out other disguised terms too.
If you use "G" rated words you can spell out exactly what you mean, so there is no confusion. So to stay free from smoking just remember in no uncertain terms to N E V E R T A K E A N O T H E R P U F F !

Joel

05 Mar 2005, 06:49 #34

I saw where a member made a comment to another member that she should not beat herself up for her past smoking. In the past when I was at other sites I would see this comment written often--not only about past smoking but about current relapses. The fact is that if people read and learn all of the damages and disruptions smoking likely caused them during their smoking lifetime, they are probably going to have a hard time dismissing the fact that they smoked. One common sentiment you hear from ex-smokers and some current smokers that if they knew then (before they started to smoke) what they know now they would never have taken up smoking.

While no one can change the fact that they used to smoke, they still need to recognize just what kind of grip cigarettes had on them in the past and what kind of grip they can have again if ever given the opportunity to get back into the smoker's system. It is not that we want people to dwell on the past now but we want them to be aware of their past and to learn from it. For those who had past quits that were lost, they need to recognize exactly what did in that prior quit. They took a puff on a cigarette and it turned into smoking again. Never let that cigarette off the hook for what it caused that time. Minimizing it now can set you up to repeat the incident again.

For those of you who this is your first quit, learn from the mistake of others. Always remember cigarettes as they really were and what they were doing to you and what they would likely have went on to do to you if you had not quit. Again, don't let them off the hook--they were taking your health and if given the opportunity could very well have gone on to take your life. While you can't change the past you can alter the present and future in regards to facing any further damage caused by smoking by simply remembering now that to stay free you must always remember why committed to never take another puff!

Joel

From above:
We are designed to accomplish one of two goals for our members. We are either going to share with you the understanding you need to stay smoke free for the rest of your life or we are going to give you enough background understanding about the dangers of smoking and the full implications of being a nicotine addict to **** up your smoking for the rest of your life. Which path you choose is totally up to you. Just know that there is little chance of going back to smoking and experience any form of ignorant bliss. If you choose to stay smoke free just always remember to never take another puff! Joel

Joel

25 Apr 2005, 23:31 #35

As this post discusses, we are not trying to be the biggest, most active or the most enteraining site on the Internet. We are going to try to be the most focused on the importance on smoking cessation and a site in which anyone can refer people of any age to come to learn about the dangers of smoking, the benefits of quitting and to understand how to stop and most importantly, how to stay off. We are providing a site that makes it crystral clear in no uncertain and clean terms that the way to get off smoking and to stay off of smoking is as easy as simply knowing to never take another puff! Joel

Joel

20 May 2005, 04:00 #36

I saw where a new member mentioned she had attempted to quit in a live clinic but her attempt went bust. I thought I would point out that it is unlikely that her quit alone went bust with that group.
ImageRecommend Message 64 of 86 in Discussion
I saw a post from a new member who was also part of a live support group. In her post she mentioned that the group was rather poorly attended, with only three people remaining at the end. I immediately thought of this article.

I actually started running clinics in 1976. This letter was written about a participant in one of the 1976 or early 1977 clinics. This was years before the use of NRT's and well before the time that there were any pharmaceutical company influences on the cessation industry. At that time too expert advise was to never advocate a cold-turkey clinic. That advice was determined on the premise that cold-turkey was just too hard (cutting down was the state of the art at the time) and that you would never be able to get people to sign up for a cold-turkey program.

Of course the first premise was ridiculous as is evident by the fact that well over 90% of the people who successfully quit smoking did so by going cold-turkey. The second premise was also wrong. By the time I was conducting my third or fourth clinic we were packing the room with people wanting to quit.

Actually, by the time I set up a more permanent program based in one location, we were getting anywhere between 40 and 60 people a month signing up for clinics. This was being accomplished with no paid advertising. We were basically a word of mouth program.

I had to laugh to myself every time I encountered other clinic organizers who said there was no way that they would do a cold-turkey program for they just knew they could never get people to come to such a program. Every program that tried to get established in my local area ended up closing their doors within months, or continued limping along with very low attendance until finally giving up. The organizers usually ended up coming to the conclusion that there just was no need for such programs because people just didn't seem to want to quit. If they would have stopped by any of our programs they would have realized just how off base that conclusion was.

It is amazing how little has changed in the past 28 years. The advice out there still seems to be what ever you do don't go cold-turkey because of course it is too hard and if you offer a cold-turkey option no one will show up. Well, all of our members and our readers here are dispelling the second myth and all of the world's millions of long-term successful quitters are dispelling the first one too. The world quitters are showing that quitting is possible and staying free is totally doable by anyone staying committed to never take another puff!

Joel

GrumpyOMrsS (Gold)

20 Jun 2005, 23:22 #37

"As this post discusses, we are not trying to be the biggest, most active or the most enteraining site on the Internet. We are going to try to be the most focused on the importance on smoking cessation and a site in which anyone can refer people of any age to come to learn about the dangers of smoking, the benefits of quitting and to understand how to stop and most importantly, how to stay off. We are providing a site that makes it crystral clear in no uncertain and clean terms that the way to get off smoking and to stay off of smoking is as easy as simply knowing to never take another puff!".

John (Gold)

19 Jan 2006, 20:59 #38

Freedom is Different
If you are a new arrival to Freedom, looking in and trying to compare what you see here to what you'll find at other forums it's really rather simple. This may be the only place on the Internet where the actively feeding nicotine addict gets no voice. We already know the excuses used in order to justify that next fix and the time for games is over.

If you're looking for a fun filled place to make lots of new friends, a place that celebrates birthdays, anniversaries, hundreds of national or religious holidays, or where each new world current event gets discussion, focus or tribute, this is not the place.

But if you're looking for a place that takes your freedom, health and life expectancy as seriously as the risks posed by your chemical addiction then you're in the right place. The risk that continuing dependency upon smoking nicotine will permanently impair or cripple your mind and health is tremendous. The risk that smoking will deprive you of 13 to 14 years of life is 50%.

Only in a drug addict's mind is an exchange of 5,000 sunrises for one chemical a rational trade. If you're not afraid to explore an addict's mind then you're in the right place. We ask that you check your ego at the door as words are the only window we have to the junkie mind. Honesty may feel like insensitivity or tough love but do expect our members to notice and explore every potential denial minimization, rationalization and blame transference they see. It's what we do.

This can be the most amazing adventure you'll ever make if only you'll open your mind to the possibility that the real quitting took place on the day nicotine took control. Millions of words here at Freedom but all boil down to one guiding principle that determines the outcome for all ... no nicotine today, Never Take Another Puff, Patch, Dip, Drink, ****, Lick or Chew!

John (Gold x6)

Last edited by John (Gold) on 19 Dec 2011, 21:02, edited 1 time in total.

Joel

21 Feb 2006, 21:09 #39

From the string " The Freedom Classroom "

Our purpose for such measures is to try to insure that all of the information passed along at Freedom is in line with principles we are trying to teach and that all members understand our rules and regulations before they start posting. This is important to us because there a lots of people who are reading and learning at our site--a whole lot more than are actual members at our site.

We actually don't know how many readers we get at Freedom--we have no way of counting. We know that we have had somewhere around 4,000 members over the past six years and that this sounds like a lot of readers. Most of our people come from finding www.whyquit.com. We do suspect that there is a significant percentage of people who find www.whyquit.com and then come over an look at Freedom. While we can't count our readers at Freedom we do get some indications of our readers at www.whyquit.com

Since December of 2002 we have had over 1,056,000 distinct hosts view pages at www.whyquit.com. If only 10% of these people find their way to Freedom it would still be over 100,000 people. The numbers may be higher. While we don't know the exact numbers of people who do read we know it is a lot.

Every person posting at Freedom has an awesome responsibility because every word you are writing is capable of influencing hundreds or even thousands of people. Considering what we are trying to influence them to do, which is to quit smoking and to save their lives, it is easy to see how why we feel that this is indeed an awesome responsibility.

We want people here at Freedom to learn as much as they can in their time here. The test that our members and readers are studying for is to develop the skills understanding needed to quit smoking and to stay free. Failing those kind of tests can cost a person his or her quit, his or her health and eventually, his or her life.

and

In a real sense though our membership requirements are not designed to just protect our members though. It is designed to protect all of our readers. Becoming an active member at Freedom carries some degree of responsibility. From a personal perspective of the member, there is a personal responsibility to himself or herself. Responsibility for posting members doesn't stop at himself or herself though. Posting members also have the ability to affect other members and other readers and basically the whole board by what they write on the board.

That is why we want people who are members to read and learn all that they can before they start exerting any influence on others. We know from our past experience that people coming in who have done very little reading or worse yet, people who come in who have done extensive reading at other sites have very little idea of all they need to know to quit smoking and to sustain their quits. Often, people pick up lots of ideas elsewhere that fall under the category of conventional wisdom or even pick up ideas that fit into what is currently considered the state of the art in professional cessation circles. The problem is conventional wisdom and state of the art philosophies usually result in very low cessation rates.
Last edited by Joel on 19 Dec 2011, 21:04, edited 1 time in total.

Joel

28 Feb 2006, 09:16 #40

I saw a post from a new member who was also part of a live support group. In her post she mentioned that the group was rather poorly attended, with only three people remaining at the end. I immediately thought of this article.

I actually started running clinics in 1976. This letter was written about a participant in one of the 1976 or early 1977 clinics. This was years before the use of NRT's and well before the time that there were any pharmaceutical company influences on the cessation industry. At that time too expert advise was to never advocate a cold-turkey clinic. That advice was determined on the premise that cold-turkey was just too hard (cutting down was the state of the art at the time) and that you would never be able to get people to sign up for a cold-turkey program.

Of course the first premise was ridiculous as is evident by the fact that well over 90% of the people who successfully quit smoking did so by going cold-turkey. The second premise was also wrong. By the time I was conducting my third or fourth clinic we were packing the room with people wanting to quit.

Actually, by the time I set up a more permanent program based in one location, we were getting anywhere between 40 and 60 people a month signing up for clinics. This was being accomplished with no paid advertising. We were basically a word of mouth program.

I had to laugh to myself every time I encountered other clinic organizers who said there was no way that they would do a cold-turkey program for they just knew they could never get people to come to such a program. Every program that tried to get established in my local area ended up closing their doors within months, or continued limping along with very low attendance until finally giving up. The organizers usually ended up coming to the conclusion that there just was no need for such programs because people just didn't seem to want to quit. If they would have stopped by any of our programs they would have realized just how off base that conclusion was.

It is amazing how little has changed in the past 28 years. The advice out there still seems to be what ever you do don't go cold-turkey because of course it is too hard and if you offer a cold-turkey option no one will show up. Well, all of our members and our readers here are dispelling the second myth and all of the world's millions of long-term successful quitters are dispelling the first one too. The world quitters are showing that quitting is possible and staying free is totally doable by anyone staying committed to never take another puff!

Joel