I Liked My Other Support Group More

Lilac (Bronze)

01 Oct 2002, 07:44 #11

"We are either going to share with you the understanding you need to stay smoke free for the rest of your life or we ar going to give you enough background understanding about the dangers of smoking and the full implications of being a nicotine addict to **** up your smoking for the rest of your life" That is sooo good.. So basically kindly aggressive.

Joel

03 Feb 2003, 18:54 #12

Two comments lifted from above:

All the unconditional support, information and advice from many other groups can help insure that you will not feel "overly guilty" for relapsing. Follow our one basic single-minded guideline and you can help insure that you will never relapse and thus have nothing to feel guilty about. That one guideline is that to stay smoke free requires always staying committed to never take another puff!

Joel

We are designed to accomplish one of two goals for our members. We are either going to share with you the understanding you need to stay smoke free for the rest of your life or we ar going to give you enough background understanding about the dangers of smoking and the full implications of being a nicotine addict to **** up your smoking for the rest of your life. Which path you choose is totally up to you. Just know that there is little chance of going back to smoking and experience any form of ignorant bliss. If you choose to stay smoke free just always remember to never take another puff!
Joel

Joel

17 Feb 2003, 03:15 #13

Today we lost two people who were new members. The first one was because we pulled the person's membership because he or she wrote that he or she got so drunk on Friday night that he or she was not sure whether he or she had smoked. Since the person could not be totally sure then we decided that we couldn't be totally sure either--and since are most important rule is that our members are not smoking we pulled the post. By the way, getting so drunk that you do not remember whether or not you smoked does not qualify as a legitimate excuse for smoking, or anything else for that matter.

The other person had used a graphic that was a tad racy, as well as being a little above the maximum size requirement of our graphics. There are times that we allow the use of oversized graphics, if they are really serving a purpose. But this one was just a fancy piece of artwork, that again, was a little too revealing and had absolutely nothing to do with quitting smoking. Anyway, in this person's case we deleted the graphic but left the post intact otherwise. The person was apparently mad at the censorship of the graphic though and pulled his or her own membership.

Accordingly I just deleted the string, figuring there was no use of having people respond to a post that the person had no ability to respond to. We really do not delete many posts here, and when we do we really do try to explain why we do it. We don't want to give people here the idea that we are purposely trying to hide anything. But we want people here to recognize that we work hard at keeping this site age appropriate for any smoker, whether they are children or adults, and focused on smoking cessation.

There are plenty of sites on the Internet to accommodate all sorts of levels of socialization and fun activities that may or may not involve smoking cessation. But we are purposely different than any of these sites. We are not right for all people but we are right for people who are looking for a serious forum to focus their desire and to stay one hundred percent committed one hundred percent of the time to never take another puff!

Joel

Joel

21 Apr 2003, 21:45 #14

All the unconditional support, information and advice from many other groups can help insure that you will not feel "overly guilty" for relapsing. Follow our one basic single-minded guideline and you can help insure that you will never relapse and thus have nothing to feel guilty about. That one guideline is that to stay smoke free requires always staying committed to never take another puff!

Joel

We are designed to accomplish one of two goals for our members. We are either going to share with you the understanding you need to stay smoke free for the rest of your life or we ar going to give you enough background understanding about the dangers of smoking and the full implications of being a nicotine addict to **** up your smoking for the rest of your life. Which path you choose is totally up to you. Just know that there is little chance of going back to smoking and experience any form of ignorant bliss. If you choose to stay smoke free just always remember to never take another puff!
Joel

Joel

09 Jun 2003, 20:14 #15

I am attaching a link here to a quick post put up by Pelenope today: Free 4 One Month

In it Pennie talks about her experience with a real world support group she was in. John responded in that thread about a study that was being done in Malta evaluating the effectiveness of their smoking cessation programs. Here is the link John put up to that study: http://home.um.edu.mt/med-surg/mmj/15_01_7.pdf

There are many that would be shocked by the conclusions drawn from the study. For what the study showed was that the six month cessation rate for the groups being examined was just about 10%. Of those who quit, eight of the ten went cold turkey. I don't know what the usage status was of the two using NRT, meaning, were they still using NRT at the six month mark or not? Giving them the benefit of the doubt that they had gotten off the NRT, it would still mean that 80% of the success stories were cold turkey quitters.

So what was the conclusions of the study investigators on how to improve their programs?

Well they thought that one of the problems with the approach being used was that participants were given a choice of going cold turkey or of using pharmacotherapies such as NRT. They concluded that the way to improve the program was to make NRT the cornerstone of future programs.

The original subject of this letter, Barbara was in a clinic I ran back in 1977. Again, she was in a group of people most of whom had successfully quit smoking. She did not. She was in another group at one time where she also had not quit smoking--but then again, neither did any of the people in her group. So where would she turn if she ever somehow decided that maybe she should quit again? I suspect she would have gone back to her other program.

Its amazing what kind of conclusions people can draw from different situations. Everyone here should know that there are other schools of thoughts and options out there for how to attempt to quit smoking. But always try to use the simplest level of logic when analyzing the problem at hand here. The problem is everyone here is addicted to a drug--nicotine. The way most people here got addicted to nicotine is by inhaling burning tobacco, usually via cigarettes. Inhaling burning tobacco is dangerous and basically downright deadly. The only way to eradicate the risks of inhaling burning tobacco is to not inhale burning tobacco. Once a person becomes nicotine free the physical need to inhale burning tobacco or to take in nicotine via any route of administration to stave off nicotine withdrawal will be permanently over. Your body will never need nicotine again as long as you never take nicotine from any NRT source and as long as you always remember when it comes to burning tobacco products that to stay smoke free you must never take another puff.

Joel
Last edited by Joel on 19 Dec 2011, 19:57, edited 1 time in total.

NicotineFree

22 Oct 2003, 02:08 #16

I recently asked my healthcare provider if they offered a program to quit smoking. I was referred and got a packet of information within the week. What I found most surprising was that the program required all participants to use some kind of nicotine cesssation pharmaceutical such as medication or nicotine patches. This was not optional, it was a requirement. Additionally, the program cost several hundred dollars which included your choice of drug. When I inquired why the cost was so high, I was told that if you figured in the cost of the drugs the program, itself, was very inexpensive. (They, obviously, couldn't force you to take medication but if you chose not to "medicate", the price for the course was the same.)

This program is the one most widely used in my area. The class meets for three weeks and then participants are on their own (with their drugs and patches). This group claims a 40% drop-out rate (folks who start but don't attend all the sessions). Of those who do attend all the sessions, a 6 month follow-up, reveals that only 10% are still not smoking. All I can think is that this group (and many like it) are just what they say they are. They are there to help you stop the act of smoking. When you are done with such a program, you have not in any way dealt with your addiction to nicotine. How unfurtunate.

PS I recently met a woman who had completed a program like the one I referred to above and she had been using the nicotine patch for over a year and was trying to find a way to stop "using". I'm so glad this site is here for us. Thank you!Image

Joel

22 Oct 2003, 02:22 #17

Hello NicotineFree:

I suspect you read this already but I want to make sure that you read the 42nd post in this string. You would be amazed at just how many programs are making the use of NRT products the cornerstone of their treatment. Other posts that you will find of interest are:

Who Should You Believe?
Prolonging Withdrawal Symptoms
Pharmacological Crutches
93% of OTC NRT Users Relapsing Within 6 Months
I've tried everything to quit and nothing works
"Real-World" Nicotine Patch & Gum Study

What it really comes down to is the way to get off nicotine is to get off nicotine. The way to stay off nicotine is equally simple, it is knowing not to administer nicotine again via any NRT or tobacco source and the way to stay smoke free is simply knowing to never take another puff!

Joel

Joel

18 Jan 2004, 07:16 #18

I am lifting the comment below from a post in this string:
ImageRecommend ImageDelete Message 40 of 50 in Discussion
Today we lost two people who were new members. The first one was because we pulled the person's membership because he or she wrote that he or she got so drunk on Friday night that he or she was not sure whether he or she had smoked. Since the person could not be totally sure then we decided that we couldn't be totally sure either--and since are most important rule is that our members are not smoking we pulled the post. By the way, getting so drunk that you do not remember whether or not you smoked does not qualify as a legitimate excuse for smoking, or anything else for that matter.
Over the past couple of weeks we had a few people come to the board and talk about how they almost lost quits because they had been overdrinking. One of them from his or her own admission was basically still drunk while posting. Just for the record, we don't take kindly to anyone posting on the board while drunk and if a person says anything on the board the least bit inappropriate while drinking we will permanently pull the members posting privileges. As it says above, overdrinking is not an excuse for smoking. It is also not an excuse for saying anything inappropriate on the board.

For a thorough discussion on how to handle drinking as an ex-smoker, refer to the string Alcohol and quitting. We want people to understand that everything they did as smokers they can do as ex-smokers. This includes drinking, if drinking was something that they could do as smokers. If a person had a drinking problem as a smoker he or she also has the same issue as an ex-smoker too.

One more thing here, we don't want drinking or any other drug use treated flippantly on this board. We are a site dealing with a drug addiction--nicotine. At the same time we are a site that is not looking to glorify or minimize any other drug addiction or potentially dangerous or controversial behavior either. Our Courtesy and Rules post clearly spells out the following:
PERSONAL ISSUES
- If any member ever feels that their quit is threatened by a factual situation then feel free to share the basic facts in your request for help. Unnecessary posting of detailed personal issues that involve controversial lifestyle choices or that express personal opinions on such issues as religion, gambling, drinking, drug use, premarital or extramarital affairs, sexual orientation, sex, gun control, child rearing problems, caring for the elderly, politics, and a host of other real life issues, do nothing to promote Freedom's mission and are not appropriate. Such real life issues exist for all of Freedom's members and no one should ever feel that their inability to air such issues will in any way impede his or her ability to stay nicotine free.
Also, with so many new members joining up over the past few weeks there is another concept in our Courtesy and Rules thread that needs to be mentioned here:
GENERAL SOCIALIZATION - Freedom's message boards are reserved for giving and receiving nicotine cessation support and not for general socialization. There are thousands of fun MSN and AOL sites and each has a link that allows you to send invitations to your friends, requesting that they join you! Help us keep Freedom a serious and supportive classroom that helps save and extend human life!
Our goal is not to be the most fun or popular site around but rather to be the most focused site on smoking cessation issues. We will do this by making sure the board is always centered on the issue that the only way to keep a quit intact is to stay totally dedicated to the commitment each and every one of our members made when they joined up to never take another puff!
Joel

Joel

26 Jan 2004, 01:56 #19

For Carole:

and

Joel

Crystalcat10

26 Jan 2004, 02:28 #20

Thanks, Joel!

-Carole-