I Know I Will Quit Again

I Know I Will Quit Again

Joel

22 Feb 2001, 19:17 #1

Joel's Reinforcement Library

I Know I Will Quit Again

"I don't know what happened. I just went back to smoking. But I know I will quit again." I often encounter similar remarks from people who relapse to smoking. While the smoker may not recognize what led to the relapse, the reason is obvious to anyone understanding addiction. The person took a drag on a cigarette.

While the situation that causes the first puff varies, the end result is inevitably the same. The first puff causes a second. It may be a minute, a day or even a week later. In some extreme cases even a longer time will pass. But the length of time is not important. The addictive process has been set into motion. Either the smoker becomes hooked immediately or gets a false sense of confidence leading to another drag, and still another. Eventually the addiction will be reinforced, and once again the smoker is hooked to the deadly substance--nicotine.

So what about the idea that the smoker will just quit again some other time? There are two flaws in this concept. First, the smoker may never again get the desire, strength or opportunity to quit. When dealing with deadly substances, death may result and, sometimes, without advance warning.

But, often, the smoker does have the opportunity to quit again. The only problem is that if he didn't understand what prompted relapse the first time, the odds are he will make the same mistake again. Once again he will face the same problem--addicted and unable to quit smoking.

If a person is enslaved in this process of on-again-off-again smoking, he must take time to consider what his particular problem is. His past attempts failed because he refused to treat cigarette smoking as an addiction. It is said that those who don't learn from their mistakes are doomed to repeat them. Nowhere is this more evident than in dealing with addictions. If he doesn't consider the consequences of taking the first puff, he will take it. And once again his noble attempt will be wasted.

Smokers and ex-smokers must learn from their own or better yet from other people's mistakes. Quitting smoking is worthwhile if you are able to stay off. All the physical, psychological, social and financial benefits will last only as long as you remain free of cigarettes. If you don't smoke now, great! You understand your addiction. If you do smoke now, quit. You too will overcome the powerful grip of nicotine. Then, all you need to remember to stay permanently free is NEVER TAKE ANOTHER PUFF!

Related video:

Last edited by Joel on 19 Jun 2013, 12:52, edited 1 time in total.

Joel

22 Feb 2001, 19:19 #2

Joel, I just finished the above subject. And since I've become an ex-smoker again I've been trying to look at why my last 10 year quit didn't stay. Your subjeact here hit it right on the head. I still didn't think I was an addicted. You see 10years ago I went to a Christain Girls Home that didn't allow smoking. So I get off the bus after traveling half way across the country and I'm asked for my cigerettes and lighter. I said my good-byes and that was it. They kept you busy there form the time you got up untill it was time for bed. So you didn't have much time to think about them or have time for trigger to hit you. Anyway I realized I quit then because I had to not because I wanted to. It was either follow the rules or your gone. And I had no where to go. This quit has been so different. I now realize that I am an addict and will be the rest of my life. But it's something I want to do not be forced to do. Thirty years ago you never heard of addiction to cigerettes. To street drugs, RX drugs, alcohol yes, but not cigerettes. I'm so glad I now know the truth. I see now how the nicodemon is trying to stay in control of my life by using the triggers. I shared with one of the managers today that now when the nicodemon comes call this a trigger I get angry not at myself but at him for thinking I'd even want anything to do with him. At this point all's I have to do is think of how I look with a killerette in my mouth and I'm ready for War. You see the triggers have been very difficult for me the last couple of days. I was letting them get me upset but not giving in. I realize this is passive behavior something I've had a problem with in my past, but no more. I realize I have a choice, I can get walked on by the nicodemon or I can stand my ground. And maybe if needed get aggressive with him. (tell him off) I know that life will throw curve balls from time to time. But I'm going to stand my ground because I want to not because I have to. I have been Quit for: 3W 1D 22h 46m 25s. I have NOT smoked 917, for a savings of $127.59. Life Saved: 3D 4h 25m
Hello Deb:

I only have a few minutes here so I only have a chance for a brief reply. I once has a woman come into a clinic who had quit for 10 years before relapsing. She knew how she quit before but it wasn't a real option this time. I think she was married now and when she had quit she joined a convent as a nun. As soon as she left the convent is when she went back to smoking.

This shows the importance of quitting for a good reason, and in fact, for many good reasons. Sometimes if you quit because of one issue, the quit will last only as long as the issue is pertinent. If you quit for numerous reasons, even if for some reason situations change in respect to one, all the others are still intact.

The real trick in smoking cessation is not just getting off smoking, it's being able to stay off of smoking. That is accomplished by keeping your resolve up-that is accomplished by keeping your reasons for wanting to quit and the reasons for wanting to stay off in the forefront of consciousness.

Quitting smoking was a good decision. Staying quit is also a good, day by day decision. It has its ups and downs, or really, just at a few isolated times things seem to get a bit hairy. But smoking, when really analyzed, just had a lot of downs. And in the end, smoking can lead to one big down-it could cripple and kill you. Its worth putting up with the inconveniences that not smoking seems to sometimes pose to avoid the inconveniences smoking often poses. Neither side seems perfect, but the side you are on now will get better and better, the other side would only get worse.

Hang in there Deb. If anything I can ever do to help, don't hesitate to get in touch.

Joel
Joel, Thank you for your orginal post. I really needed to see for myself what the situation was. You posted it just at the right time. As for your reply, your right having one reason is not enough. Espeacially if that one reason could change. It leaves a large open door. I see in my case I was rebelling. Now that I'm alittle older and not in a rebellious stage any longer I realize I've only been hurting myself. My quit now still stands on my walk with God. But,also included is my health. I now have nurmerous health problems that worsen when smoking. I'm tired of being sick. I'm tired of being out of breath. I hate to be putting a mask over my face at night to keep my air way open. I could go on and on but I think you get the picture. I've been on a slow process of trying to destroy myself. No more. I've had it. I choose to live. Thank-you for being here. And I will ask for help when I need it. But I also want to be able to help someone else. In helping someone else I find that it's making me stronger. God Bless You and All You Do
The message often given by other boards, family, friends, doctors, most smoking programs is "don't let a slip put you back to smoking." Like the smoker has an option. A slip is either going to put you back to smoking or put you back to withdrawaling. Both options stink, although one is a lot worse than the other. One can kill you.

Forget the mindset of "don't let a slip put you back to smoking." Change the message to "DON'T SLIP!" This attitude is the only one that is going to make this quit your last quit.
What you said is sooooo true and it is the one thing that keep me from ever picking up another cigarette. I KNOW beyond a shadow of a doubt that if I ever take another puff Ill be HOOKED again! I am a recovering addict and I know that now.I can't do that to myself or mey daughter...I have come TOOOO far to turn back now! Realizing that I was an addict has given me power to control my addiction! 1 month, 1 week, 6 days, 21 hours and 38 minutes SMOLE FREE!!!! Image

Sweetie
or, Joel.......that one puff....not only has the great potential to send you back to the arms of the deadliest of the addictions.......that one puff has the ability to kill.

as I get further down the road of freedom.....I wonder how in the world I ever let myself continue such a terrible assault on my body. When I see others smoke....I look at them and the fear I have of ever taking another puff becomes even stronger.

I made a vow a year ago.....that I would never take another puff.....and am I ever glad. I have seen first hand what taking that puff has done to others......and I will not allow it to happen to me. My quit is very precious and there is NO way I would jeopardize it by taking that one puff.

Linda......after smoking 41 years........one year free!

Yes Linda, that is the attitude that made it possible for you to make a year, and that keep it possible to make it the rest of your life a day at a time as long as you choose. Everyone can achieve success as long as they never take another puff!

Joel
I am so glad that I found this post! It was just what I needed to hear to help me maintain my resolve! Can I ever relate. I am so glad I am not actively enslaved to tobacco addiction!

Succeeding with over 1 month free from coughing, sneezing, & wheezingImage
Joel, Thanks for that it home also. i am pleased to say still no puffs since 12-14-00. No sneezing, coughing or gagging!. The smell is also out of my house now!!! Things taste better and smell better

Joel

04 Mar 2001, 20:14 #3

Hello everyone:

I know we have a couple of people who have recently returned to Freedom who do seem serious and recognize their past mistake so I don't want this letter or others I bring up to be interpreted as chastising them. But for every one person who relapses and returns and succeeds, I am afraid that there are many many more who relapse and we never meet them again. And then there are those who we may meet over and over again but still they do not quit. I have had a few people in a lot of clinics. One woman came to 13 of my clinics and pretty much every other Chicago based program for many years before her quit finally took. I have had one man who came to my program more than that, I think it was 15 times and to this day is still a smoker. Think about this. The first lady had to go through 13 withdrawals with me and I don't even know the count of other withdrawal periods she went through with others. And the man has been in one full blown withdrawal after another and still has another he has to go through yet may never have the opportunity to do it again.

So I want everyone to understand the importance of making this quit your last quit. You don't want to take the chance of a relapse because you honestly don't know whether you will have the strength, desire, or worst of all, the opportunity to quit again. You also don't know that even if you quit again, that something didn't start during the interim smoking period between two quits. Again, were not saying that you know something will go wrong such as an initiation of an irreversible fatal diseases, you just can't say that you know something like this won't happen. We can't change our past. We can't alter what we did ten or twenty years ago, or for that fact, ten or twenty seconds ago. But we can alter our future by focusing on our present. So stay focused on today, on the concept that you are glad to be an ex-smoker and want to stay that way for now. Your joining here and your still being here to read this illustrates the fact that you don't want to be a smoker any more. It shows that to us, but more important, it should show that fact to yourself. You don't want to be a smoker. The way to make your wants stay a reality then is to always remember to never take another puff!

Joel

Joel

12 Mar 2001, 03:00 #4

Image For Mari, or more importantly, for everyone who read Mari's post. The post just above this one explains the importance of learning from others mistakes. I think Mari's own post gets the point across very eloquently about learning from her relapse instead of learning from your own. In between appointments, will check back later tonight. Hang in there everyone. Remember quitting smoking is a fight for your health and your life. To win that fight always remember to never take another puff!

Joel

Joel

16 Jul 2001, 18:50 #5

Disregard the common teaching of "don't let a slip put you back to smoking." Replace it with the thought "DON'T SLIP!" A "slip" is a relapse, clear and simple. If you substitute the real word then the sentence would read, "Don't let a relapse put you back to smoking." The fact is a relapse means you have gone back to smoking. A relapse means you either have to go through quitting again or just smoke again until it cripples and kills you, or the worst case scenerio, you end up doing both. Quitting over and over again, suffering one withdrawal after another until one day something goes wrong and quitting no longer even makes a difference--you are already terminal or dead.

There is one solution to this cycle and one solution only. That is to stay free and save your health and likely your life you must never take another puff!

Joel

Joel

27 Jul 2001, 19:53 #6

For Daniella who is tired of hearing people say don't worry about a slip. I wonder if these people would say to a recovering alcoholic, "Don't worry about a drink," to a recovering heroin addict, "Don't worry about a little injection," or to a severely depressed suicidal patient standing on a ledge, "Don't worry if you just jump this one time." The end result of these actions can all be the same as a relapse to smoking--returning to a problem with life threatening consequences and maybe never getting another chance to rectify it.

To avoid this on again off again cycle of smoking and quitting just remember this time to never take another puff!

Joel

charlieann (green)

30 Aug 2001, 09:47 #7

I love this thread. I't can't be stressed enough that you can't ever take another puff, because if you do, in all likelyhood you will smoke unitl it kills you. As I stated before this is not my first quit, I had an 8 year quit and then 3 years following that a nine month quit. I'm on my 35th day today and I have finally learned that I will have to be aware and on gaurd for the rest of my life. I was working behind the bar at a wedding a few weeks ago, it was smoke free, and a couple came up and asked that I not clear off their table as they were going outside to smoke. And I mentioned that I won't have to join them because I had quit a couple weeks prior. And the man who was probaly around 50 told me that he had quit for 15 years, He went 15 years without a puff and last new years eve he had a small cigar. And that was it, he's back to 2 packs a day, it's like the 15 years never happened. We are powerless over this addiction no matter how long we go without giving into it, we have to remember that always and never ever put anything containing nicotine on or into our body. I'm thinking of getting a tatoo on my forehead that says "Hey Charlotte, remember, you can't smoke.

Joel

18 Oct 2001, 20:59 #8

Yesterday I was talking on the phone to one of my current clinic participants who was talking to a smoking friend and asking her how she has tried to quit. She has tried everything imaginable, patches, gums, accupuncture, hypnosis, etc. She actually had quit once for 6 months through a program. When my clinic participant asked her about what program, it turned out to be with me back in 1984. She was successful until she took a puff. Now, 17 years later and after countless attempts she is still only talking about quitting.

Three months ago I had a man in my clinic who had also quit smoking with me for over a year before relapsing, also about 18 years ago. He finally came back in July and has been off since. When we calculated how many cigarettes he smoked after that relapse it was a staggering 164,000.

Don't play mind games with the attitude that if you go back to smoking you will just quit again. You don't know that you will ever get the strength, desire or opportunity to quit again. Make this quit the last quit--all it entails is knowing now to never take another puff!

Joel

Joel

12 Nov 2001, 21:06 #9

For Melissa:

This one illustrates the issue that the fear of a relapse needs to be more than "just" having to quit again, it needs to be the fear that a person may not be able to quit again. That is the bigger problem. Both problems have the same solution though--to never have to worry about attempting to quit again just never have to need to quit again by never going back--and all that entails now is knowing to never take another puff!

Joel

mirigirl (silver)

09 Jan 2002, 18:55 #10

I honest to God - don't think I could quit again.
I just feel so battered and broken by this addictionImage I really don't think I could muster any enthusiasm, or enough self-worth to even try. I think I would just smoke myself to death.Image

So I had better hang onto this quit. It has to be my last - otherwise there is no hope for me. So I'm focusing on the positive and just trying to do the suggested thingsImage - like read and post and most of all

Never Take Another Puff
yqs
mirigirl
1 week 1 day Free