I Know I Will Quit Again

ComicForces GOLD

12 Mar 2003, 05:22 #21

Thanks so much Joel.... That story touched me and hit me hard the first time I read it.... I read it again, will keep reading it, and will keep in mind.

The fact that we may not be capable of starting a "NEXT QUIT" until years and years later is a very scary concept.

Why ruin what we have already accomplished? (Don't ask me why I'm using the term "we" instead of "me"....)

thank you for the reminder, and for reading my post.

kate2000

19 Mar 2004, 01:22 #22

Hello everyone,
Im so glad to have this site, I read lot from here. not much into the posting. After reading this one I feel I have to reply. My husband and I quite smoking 2 yrs ago, he started smoking again , about 5mth in to our quite. I started again after a yr and a half into it, after the summer I found this site and quite again for the last time ( I do hear what Joel says here, I don't know if I have another quite in me)
The more I read on here, the more I resent my husband for not quiting, I'm getting very worried that he wont be around for all the things he is planning in his life. I don't what to nag him about quiteing. I just am beginnibg to think that he is very selfish (sp) , and would rather smoke and shorten his life the spend it with us. I'm feeling very torn here. I luv him very much, and to watch him do this to himself and us......well is tearing me apart.
The more I read on here the more, the more I resent him, but I need to read for my quite, I just think of the money we could be saveing for a trip, stopping the movie so he can smoke, it is getting to me...........please help.............Kate
I 'ts been 2mth 2 weeks for meImage

John (Gold)

12 Apr 2004, 20:05 #23

We're told that this addiction to smoking nicotine claims half of all adult smokers. We're told that roughly five million of us will pay the ultimate price in 2004. We're told that the average price will be somewhere in the neighborhood of 5,000 days of life. We're told that for each of us Image who smoke ourselves to death each year that about 20 others are already living inside bodies that have been permanently diseased by our addiction. We're told that breaking nicotine's grip can be harder than quitting heroin or cocaine. We know that the total price we're been paying for this amazing chemical is sick.

But we now also know the law of addiction, we know what we're up against. We know that no subconscious crave episode will last longer than 3 minutes, that all that matters is the next few minutes and that each is within our ability to command. We know that the glory and dopamine ahhhhh achievement sensation that will flow following our next victory will have been earned and is 100% ours to enjoy. We know it's a healthy sign that life, not nicotine, is once again determining flow of more than 200 neurochemicals inside our mind and body.

There's no need to engage in playing complicated false rationalization and minimization games inside our conscious mind. Instead, we can embrace moving through each challenge to sample the fruit of victory beyond. You're going home and there is no force, location, emotion or circumstance on earth that can again compel you to put nicotine inside your brain. Today is all that matters and the healing it reflects is yours for the taking. Only one rule, no nicotine today - Never Take Another Puff! John

NSMBill

28 Aug 2004, 02:02 #24

Has there been any studies on the effects of on-again-off-again smokers? Surely the shock of starting, quitting, starting, etc. must do something to the body. And does the relapsed smoker enjoy any benefits at all from having gone a month or year without smoking?

GrumpyOMrsS (Gold)

14 Oct 2004, 01:45 #25

Once you have quit smoking, understand your very life is contingent on understanding the importance of knowing to never take another puff!

GrumpyOMrsS (Gold)

21 Oct 2004, 02:51 #26

Once you have quit smoking, understand your very life is contingent on understanding the importance of knowing to never take another puff!

Joel

05 Feb 2007, 23:16 #27

This is a situation that people who have an easy quit should be aware of. Some times quits go easy--really easy, and then the person assumes that he or she must not have really had an addiction. As it says in the string Every Quit is Different.:
It is possible that you won't have any major symptoms this time. I have had a lot of four pack a day smokers who smoked 40 plus years who toss them with minimal withdrawal. The reason they never tried to quit before is they witnessed people who smoked one fourth of what they did go thorough terrible side effects and figured, "If it did that to them, it will kill me." But when the time came, their quit was easy in comparison.
You may find that this quit will be relatively easy. Stranger things have happened. But if it does, don't think this didn't mean you were addicted. The factor that really shows the addiction is not how hard or how easy it is to quit. What really shows the addiction is how universally easy it is to go back. One puff and the quit can go out the window.
If a person has an easy quit, and then relapses down the line with the idea that it is no big deal, he or she will simply quit again, the person may be in for a real shock. The next quit may not be easy and in fact, the person may never be able to muster the strength to successfully quit again.

You don't know if you relapse that you will ever be able to quit again, but you should know that you will never have to worry about this risk as long as you continue to stick to your personal commitment to never take another puff.

Joel

Joel

22 Mar 2007, 20:48 #28

New video that touches on the concept of this string:

Video Title:

If I go back to smoking I will smoke until it kills me

Dial Up Version: www.whyquit.com/videos/ifigoback.wmv 1.58mb

High Speed Version: www.whyquit.com/videos/ifigoback_bb.wmv 4.35mb

Length 5 minutes 11 seconds

Created 2-25-07

Joel

24 May 2007, 03:40 #29

Many years ago I had a man in my clinic named John. John was a pretty high profile public figure, in his early 40's who had many great accomplishments in his life. He came to my clinic, lasted a few days and lost the quit. He was in the middle of a high profile media situation and just decided he needed his focus and the stakes of what he was involved with at the time were just too high to deal with withdrawal. John explained this to me, and promised he would return again one day when things would be better. Well, I have heard this hundreds of times before, and while occasionally people do return, it is not the majority and probably not even a significantly high percentage. Being that I was having 50 or more people at a time in these clinics, I couldn't spend much time dealing with those who were not quitting.

Three year later John does return to the clinic and does quit smoking. He did great his second time around. Not only did he quit, but he became a regular volunteer for me, coming to many clinics as a panelist to help people first quitting. He also sent in lots of people, probably 15 to 20 over the next couple of years.

About three years after John's quit, he was going in for a physical and to his surprise there was a small spot on his chest x-ray. When it was biopsied they found out John had cancer. He was about 48 at the time, in the peak of his career, still had children of school age and now was facing this terrible diagnosis. It was a horrible shock to many people. As is often the case with lung cancer, it was a fast deterioration. Within a year and a half John had succumbed to the disease.

I went to John's funeral--it was huge. There were hundreds and hundreds of people there. Many I knew, some because of their high public profile, but more because John had sent in so many people to the clinic in the time period that he was off smoking. Even after the diagnosis he was still sending people in.

One of the men there was from one of the recent clinics and had told me how tragic this was that John had lost his life and how his lost quit was probably the reason. To be realistic I told him that it is possible that if John had quit the first time in the clinic it may not have made a difference. He basically found out he had lung cancer three years after he quit, and that lung cancer could be present for 5 years or even 10 years without presenting symptoms or even showing up on the x-ray. Being that the day I met him was about 6 years before the diagnosis, it was not totally improbable that at that time the cancer had already been initiated and was silently growing.

The man then proceeded to tell me that my clinic was not the first clinic John had tried. That in fact, 10 years before joining that first group with me, he and John had gone to another local clinic together to quit and both in a matter of days wrote it off as a bad time to quit--but knew they would both quit again one day.

Well John was right, he did eventually quit again one day. But it turned out to be over 16 years later. Now the odds were quite different--if he had quit that first time around he probably would never had developed the disease that ultimately cost him his life.

The lesson here needs to be once you have a quit going, do everything in your power to make it last. While you are seeing people come back who just seem to be quitting again, if you relapse you just don't know you will ever get the strength or desire to quit again, and that even if you do, you don't know whether something won't go wrong in the interim period before the next quit.

John is not the only person I know who fits this profile--I know lots of them--people who could have had extra years and extra decades who lost them by minimizing the implications of not quitting or of relapsing. Once you have a quit smoking, understand your very life is contingent on understanding the importance of knowing to never take another puff!

Joel
"If I relapse I'll smoke until it kills me" 1.58mb 04.4mb 05:11 02/25/07

John (Gold)

09 Feb 2008, 14:08 #30

The World Health Organization is now predicting that 1 billion smokers
could lose their lives to smoking before the end of the century.
There is no guarantee any of us could ever come this far again, none!
If you have 72 hours under your belt then you're through the hardest part.
Baby steps, patience, let the healing continue!
Still just one controlling principle .... no nicotine today!
Yes you can, yes you have, yes you are!
Breathe deep, hug hard, live long,
John (Gold x8)
Last edited by John (Gold) on 01 Jan 2010, 03:22, edited 1 time in total.