I just turned green, so why am I blue?

The emotions that flow from nicotine cessation
MsArmstrongKIS

21 Mar 2003, 06:32 #21

Holy cow. . .thank you so much, Jill, CF and Free4ever. I am going to treasure this thread for a long time. F4E, I understand exactly what you mean and you weren't rambling at all and I'm honored you wrote such a thoughtful response. CF, you made me laugh because that's just the faulty logic progression that I was noticing in my life and even though it rears its ugly head pretty often STILL, at least now the decision is made on the positive side of the bargain. . .well, this seems like it would be a good time in my life to smoke but too bad, can't take a puff today. Maybe tomorrow it will seem like a good time in my life NOT to smoke.

And Jill, all I want to take away from me from college is a degree and good memories. The active nicotine addiction I would much prefer leaving behind.

Thanks again. . .
Alex
I have chosen not to smoke for 1 Month 1 Week 3 Minutes 58 Seconds. Cigarettes not smoked: 560. Money saved: $140.01.

JoeJFree Gold

03 May 2005, 10:22 #22

Seem to think that this thread might just help some other newly green, double green, bronze or even silver members having a few struggles see:
-not the first and certainly not the last
- Milestones are just another special day in Freedom Paradise
- Enjoy the journey, the milemarkers just fall as you breeze on by.

Lo and Behold & Not a surprise, something Roger wrote above really hit home for me - "What one person sees as the end of life for a catapillar, another sees it as the begining of a beautiful butterfly".

Mr. 'Flashback' Day 112 - so much to learn and read & so little time.
NTAP, everything else will eventually fall back into place.

Rickrob53 Gold

19 Feb 2006, 09:49 #23

...like JoeJ said:
" Seem to think that this thread might just help some other newly green, double green, bronze or even silver members having a few struggles see: -not the first and certainly not the last."

(Read the replies, too... )

(By the way, Alex is nearing Triple Gold)

OvergrownStretford

26 Apr 2006, 23:16 #24

Thank you to all who pulled up this thread! It really resonates with me as i feel i have certain characteristics in common with the original poster.
I'm about a week away from being green but am having a hard time staying positive. I'm a younger quitter as well and find that there seems to be much less pressure to quit from those around me. I guess its self pity at work but i see my peers out and about smoking and not caring and it gets me down - the junkie in me actually says I have a good 10 to 20 yrs to keep smoking (I've already been smoking for 12 or so)
I'm having trouble being patient waiting for the thoughts and the fixations etc to go away. sorry for the rambling but this was/is a great thread thats given me a lot to think about and hope as well!! It helps to know that there are plenty of folks in similar circumstances going through the same thing...

neil

---
2w 5d 11:12 smoke-free, 269 cigs not smoked, $100.88 saved, 22:25 life saved

Pinball757

26 Apr 2006, 23:59 #25

This one resonated with me also when I first read it a few days ago. It describes exactly how I feel - I no longer miss cigarettes, but I do feel like I miss being a smoker at times. I was actually thinking about this last night (I admit I run things through my head that I have read at Freedom during idle times) - and it occured to me that I also enjoy being an ex-smoker -- in fact I enjoy that identity more than I miss being a smoker. And since I can't be both at once, I'll just stcik with NTAP!

Mike
37 days

FoolishWorkinj

27 Apr 2006, 10:02 #26

Thanks Rick and JoJ. I really "get this" -- life goes on. You stop smoking, and partly you go back to your younger self, and the parts of you that were chubby at 16 may come back as well, also the feelings that nicotine had submerged beneath the addiction. Today was a day for me like Alex's day back then -- not a thought of smoking. Not missing, not wanting it, not anxious. And tomorrow? Who knows. One day at a time, I will remain a non-smoker, an ex-smoker, a could be smoker, who never again smokes as long as I NTAP, regardless of my feelings in the moment.

Best, Joanne free for 106 days.

starbirder.ffn

19 Mar 2008, 21:24 #27

"What one person sees as the end of life for a catapillar, another sees it as the begining of a beautiful butterfly". (Roger 1st year free)
ENJOY THE JOURNEY
LEARN TO LIVE FREE ONE DAY AT A TIME

Star Image Free & Healing 8 months+

zoe

19 Mar 2008, 21:28 #28

I love this thread....