I have to smoke because of all my stress

GrumpyOMrsS (Gold)

14 Oct 2004, 01:41 #41

While most smokers actually believe that smoking was an effective stress treatment strategy (a drug that calmed them down), when it really comes down to it, smoking never truly calmed them down. All it did was administered nicotine alleviated nicotine withdrawal that was induced by stress. The illustration and text below covers this point.

The one true step that people are doing here to control their stress is getting rid of a product that should cause any thinking person a lot of worry and to stop the vicious cycle of drug feeding and drug withdrawal by always knowing now to never take another puff!

Joel

Joel

17 Aug 2005, 02:07 #42

From the string "If they ever cure lung cancer, I am going back to smoking!"
I am typing in the following paragraph from the current issue of Newsweek:

Talking about Peter Jennings:
On April 5, 2005, he appeared, haggard and hoarse, for the for final time on television and explain what happened. "Yes, I was a smoker until about twenty years ago and I was weak and I smoked over 9/11." It is unclear how much he relapsed in the year since but he was still addicted and known to retreat into the bathroom for a furtive smoke. He began coughing and feeling fatigued last fall, but was not diagnosed until March. His cancer was an operable, though he tried chemotherapy and experimental radiation.
I thought the following strings would be appropriate to attach here in lieu of the phrasing of the highlighted sentence:

Law of addiction
Words that translate to "r e l a p s e"
The relapse of a "social smoker"
Past failures
Closet smokers - a hidden or secret addiction
"Was I addicted?"
We understand why you relapsed
Relapse - the one puff files
Relapse - there is no legitimate reason

We will likely never know for sure whether or not Peter Jenning's RELAPSE was responsible for his going on to develop cancer and dying prematurely from the disease. It is relatively clear though from the comments above that his actions on September 11, 2001 resulted in him RELAPSING and that for some unspecified amount of time he continued to fight an active addiction.
Last edited by Joel on 17 Jun 2010, 00:39, edited 2 times in total.

John (Gold)

07 Jan 2006, 20:50 #43

Why did you really smoke?
Last edited by John (Gold) on 18 Sep 2009, 20:31, edited 1 time in total.

gavula

18 Jan 2006, 04:32 #44

For Everyone who's STRESSED today. Especially FoolishWorkinj .

Hang in there!

Anna
1+year

Sal GOLD.ffn

15 Mar 2006, 12:04 #45

Last edited by Sal GOLD.ffn on 18 Sep 2009, 20:37, edited 1 time in total.

auntvaleria

25 Mar 2006, 23:43 #46

Good Saturday everyone!
Just a light bulb moment I wanted to share Image. In dealing with the daily stresses of life, like we all do, it dawned on me that my smoking just prolonged that feeling of being angry or upset. Especially if I was at home in the evenings, and could retreat to my "smoking parlor" in the garage. This is was my place where I could just stew and waller (sp.?) in all my problems. Then they seemed to magnify and I could really just get madder and madder.
I have a hubby who is quick tempered (and I am so mild mannered....not Image), so there are always lots of words being thrown back and forth. I could retreat and smoke and just rewind every bad thing that was said. over and over....... and get madder. You get the picture.
But today, I am thinking that bad things pass a little quicker, I can take them and disect them for what they are, and deal with it, and then let it go. Hopefully then move on to something more productive.
Early in my quit,during a rough day, one of my "quit angels" just bluntly said:
So putting 4000 chemicals in your body is going to help this?
Hope you all have a wonderful nicotene free weekend!
xxoo
Imageaunt valeria
I have been quit for 1 Month, 1 Day, 14 hours, 13 minutes and 17 seconds (29 days). I have saved $81.37 by not smoking 591 cigarettes. I have saved 2 Days, 1 hour and 15 minutes of my life. My Quit Date: 2/23/2006 7:30 PM
Last edited by auntvaleria on 08 Oct 2009, 00:10, edited 1 time in total.

Jacqui672 Gold

11 Aug 2006, 00:39 #47

Thank you Joel.Image Earlier in my quit when I faced stress I would want to smoke, but the education I received here made me realize how absurd it would be to do so.
Now, I can face stress and not even remotely think about it. This place truy saves lives.
=Four months, one week, six days, 2 hours, 39 minutes and 4 seconds. 5404 cigarettes not smoked, saving $1,485.76. Life saved: 2 weeks, 4 days, 18 hours, 20 minutes.
Last edited by Jacqui672 Gold on 08 Oct 2009, 00:11, edited 1 time in total.

JoeJFree Gold

27 Sep 2006, 00:41 #48

For Isa, who made it through a flat tire event nicotine free. Image
From the original post by Joel:
For example, consider a person who finds he has a flat tire in a parking lot during a freezing rain. When encountering this kind of misfortune, the ex-smoker's first reaction often is, "I need a cigarette." What will actually solve this problem is changing the tire, and driving off in a warm car. What would a cigarette do to help this situation? It only makes the person see the flat tire longer and freeze more. This adds up to greater frustration. The first puff will probably reinforce the addiction to cigarettes which is a much greater crisis than the flat tire ever was. In fact, taking the first puff almost always results in a bigger problem than the crisis that "caused" them to take the puff. Even in a real catastrophe, such as a death in the family, injuries, illnesses, flooding resulting in major property loss, bankruptcy and so on, a cigarette will not solve the problem. It will just add another major problem to the originally bad situation.
Remember, smoking cannot solve problems of daily living. No matter what the problem, there is a more effective way of solving it than smoking. In fact, a smoker's health risks are a real problem that can only be solved if they - NEVER TAKE ANOTHER PUFF!
Last edited by JoeJFree Gold on 08 Oct 2009, 00:12, edited 1 time in total.

JoeJFree Gold

03 Oct 2006, 22:59 #49

Why do people smoke?
Education uncovers the keys to break the False Association of stress being relieved by nicotine. Nicotine does not relieve stress, it relieves its own absence. While we were still active users stress depleted our nicotine reserves and led us to the false conclusion that more nicotine (another cigarettes smoked) would reduce our stress.
Nicotine never did anything of the kind.
The stressor (an acidic producing event) was still present and still depleting the alkaloyd chemical nicotine. Nicotine never relieved your stress, it added to it by increasing anxiety levels due to withdrawal pressure.
Break the cycle - Break Free - Permanently!
Last edited by JoeJFree Gold on 02 Mar 2009, 21:21, edited 1 time in total.

Joel

15 Jul 2008, 01:08 #50

Related videos:

Video Title Dial Up High Speed MP3 Audio Length Added
"I am climbing the walls because I quit smoking" 2.69mb 8.59mb 3.78mb 08:23 10/18/06
"I'll be a nervous wreck forever if I quit smoking" 3.87mb 11.55mb 4.77mb 10:30 11/29/06
Why do smokers smoke? 2.65mb 5.70mb 8.31mb 18:08 11/07/06
Last edited by Joel on 02 Mar 2009, 21:23, edited 1 time in total.