I Can't Quit or I Won't Quit

Joel

09 Jun 2004, 19:48 #31

I am attaching an article below that at first doesn't seem to belong in this string. It is talking about how people who switch from smoking to a different form of nicotine delivery can reduce their exposure to certain cancer producing chemicals in tobacco. It showed how the greatest reduction in these specific chemicals were found in the patch users. The article also said that "most of the health risk comes from the carcinogens in tobacco smoke." Actually this may not really be the case. Considering the fact that more people die from circulatory diseases caused by smoking than from cancers caused by smoking I wouldn't say that most of the risk from smoking comes from the carcinogens in cigarettes. But this point is also not the reason for attaching it to this thread here.

The reason I think it belongs in this thread is the closing comment of the article. It says, and I quote, "Therefore, for smokers who are unable or unwilling to give up, the nicotine patch offers the best option for those who want to reduce their risk of smoking-related disease."

If the article had ended on the comment, "for those unwilling to give up," I would have filed it under not particularly important to mention here at Freedom. There are lots of articles that are written all of the time on how people can "reduce" their risks from smoking by switching to alternate forms of nicotine delivery. At Freedom this information is meaningless for we work on the basis of eliminating the risk and problems of nicotine exposure, not worrying about only reducing the risks. But the article said, "for smokers who are unable or unwilling to give up," leaving the impression that there are people who are unable to quit.

My best guess is that there are a whole lot of members here and a whole lot of people who read here who are now ex-smokers who at one time thought that they were unable to give up cigarettes or nicotine. Everyone of them should know now that they were wrong. They were able to "give up smoking," or, more accurately to get rid of smoking. They were able to quit and to eliminate the risks of smoking and the problems of sustaining an active nicotine dependency and they were able to stay off by simpy making and sticking with a personal commitment to never take another puff!

Joel

Image Comparing reduced exposure tobacco products with nicotine patches

Reported by Susan Aldridge, PhD, medical journalist

A new study compares carcinogen exposure with smokeless tobacco, reduced exposure cigarettes and nicotine patches.
While it's the nicotine in cigarettes that gets people hooked, most of the health risk comes from the carcinogens in tobacco smoke. Some manufacturers are now making products that contain fewer carcinogens like nitrosamine or polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons.

Researchers at the University of Minnesota now report on carcinogen uptake in a group of 54 users of smokeless tobacco, and 51 smokers switching to either reduced exposure cigarettes or nicotine patches. They measured nitrosamines in urine four weeks after making the switch and also levels of a biomarker for polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbon uptake.

All had reductions in nitrosamines after making the switch and this was greatest for those on the nicotine patch. And only those on the nicotine patch had a reduction in biomarker level for polyaromatic hydrocarbon uptake. Therefore, for smokers who are unable or unwilling to give up, the nicotine patch offers the best option for those who want to reduce their risk of smoking-related disease.

Source
Journal of the National Cancer Institute 2nd June 2004 Volume 96 pages 844-852

Joel

01 Dec 2004, 04:16 #32

For anyone who may have the impression that maybe it would be better to wait to quit until he or she has a better reason. Yes maybe if you wait you will get a better reason--a reason that is so compelling that you will find yourself "happy" to quit. But that happiness may come at a premium. Quitting smoking at any stage of the game has benefits as seen in this story, but the maximum benefits are gained by people who are quitting when they are still healthy and no one should minimize the importance of that fact. The way to have a healthier life, which will by default be a happier life with all other factors being equal, is to continue to stick to the commitment you made when joining up at Freedom to never take another puff!

Joel

John (Gold)

04 Dec 2004, 10:57 #33

Last edited by John (Gold) on 07 Mar 2009, 01:00, edited 1 time in total.

GrumpyOMrsS (Gold)

29 Dec 2004, 20:14 #34

For anyone who may have the impression that maybe it would be better to wait to quit until he or she has a better reason. Yes maybe if you wait you will get a better reason--a reason that is so compelling that you will find yourself "happy" to quit. But that happiness may come at a premium. Quitting smoking at any stage of the game has benefits as seen in this story, but the maximum benefits are gained by people who are quitting when they are still healthy and no one should minimize the importance of that fact. The way to have a healthier life, which will by default be a happier life with all other factors being equal, is to continue to stick to the commitment you made when joining up at Freedom to never take another puff! Joel

JoeJFree Gold

24 Feb 2005, 21:29 #35

Thanks Joel for bringing this ( I Can't Quit or I Won't Quit) up again. I'd read your article before and it is one of my favorites because of this line which, to me, is very appropros in regards to my son MJ - "they want to stop but they can't. I know where they learned that, and I am mad at myself for it. So I am stopping to show them I was wrong. It wasn't that I couldn't stop smoking- it was that I wouldn't! I know I will not have another cigarette. I don't know if this will make anybody stop, but I had to prove to my children and to myself that I could quit smoking. And if I could quit, they could quit, anybody could quit."
And then I clicked on this link In memory of Rob: I have some sad news (broken link)
I hope Teresa doesn't mind bringing new attention to this message. I had never explored the other links and responses in this string. Because of Rob's (& Teresa's) decision to share their quit experiences maybe other nicotine addicts reading and exploring here at Freedom who may be 'on the fence' with their quit decision will 100% commit to Never Take Another Puff.
My resolve to NTAP! is even moreso - strong and uncompromising. Image joejFree
Last edited by JoeJFree Gold on 07 Mar 2009, 01:22, edited 2 times in total.

John (Gold)

27 Mar 2005, 10:52 #36

Squeezed artery of a 32 year-old smoker
We may not think that this story applies to us but being a little bit addicted is like being a little bit pregnant. Like alcoholism our dependency is permanent and each of us only have two considerations: growing tolerance and how much nicotine it will eventually take in order to die an addict's death or recovery and how much healing our bodies will experience, how rich our comfort becomes, and the number of extra sunrises we'll get to experience.

We can't quit or we refuse to quit? Is nicotine dependency recovery really even a challenge when compared to what looms ahead should we relapse? There was always only one rule, no nicotine today. The next few minutes are doable. Breathe deep, hug hard, live long! John (Gold x5)
Last edited by John (Gold) on 07 Mar 2009, 00:58, edited 1 time in total.

Joel

27 Apr 2005, 23:29 #38

This has always been one of my favorite articles. It is the only article that I have written that we use at Freedom that breaks one of our own rules and courtesies. I wrote it long before I was at Freedom and just felt that in honor and memory of the woman who inspired the letter I could not alter its original content. I felt in some way I had to be true to her memory.

The reason that the article is one of my favorites though is that it illustrates many important issues. It shows the life threatening impact of smoking, the fact that anyone can quit smoking, covers the topic of utilizing personal motivations in order to sustain a quit, and shows that it is never too late to gain major benefits by quitting, even if a person may be in an irreversible terminal state.

But there is another important story in the article that I have never commented on before but is very pertinent to our board. It is about the two woman in the clinic who were constantly gabbing with each other.

Every now and then when I am running live clinics I will notice that two or sometimes three class members end up having side conversations during the clinic. Sometimes I am covering a topic of great significance, or others clinic participants are sharing insights that are really very important. You can tell that when individuals are talking to each other that they are missing the concepts that are being shared by me or the other class members speaking in the time they are chatting. If the people are in the back of the room and very quiet it usually poses minimal problems for others, although at times it is obviously very distracting. There is no doubt though that the individuals involved are missing concepts that they would have benefited from hearing.

The two women in the story above missed a bulk of what went on in that clinic and I think that all who read the above story realized that they had missed a lot that particular session. They definitely were not getting the full value of what the clinic had to offer.

There are times where a similar situation occurs at Freedom. Where two or three new people start to get involved in ongoing dialogues, sometimes talking about smoking and other times expanding the conversations into other areas. This usually occurs between newer members who really haven't realized what the real value of our board is. Our board value is not being a support group where new quitters can socialize and learn all about other new quitters. It is an educational site in which people who are quitting smoking can learn valuable insights to treating nicotine addiction and to learn from longer-term successful quitters how life can go on after quitting.

In all honesty, almost any other Internet based support site on smoking cessation is better at meeting people and having more laid back and relaxing conversations. We are set up to always maintain an educational focus and in many ways, it takes more effort to actively engage in more meaningful and thought provoking posts that really help all who are reading here to secure their quits.

Many may think that the background chatter in a live clinic poses more of a problem than the same kind of socialization being done on the board. After all, being that the words are written if a person is chatting at one moment in one string, he or she can go back and see all that has happened in other string as time permits. The problem is the more new members see this kind of background chatter, the more likely they too are going to get involved in it and spend less time reading the great variety of informational posts we have at Freedom. We don't want people spending any more time at Freedom than necessary and we don't want people having to siphon through background clutter having a harder time finding quality information that really will help them to stay motivated to not smoke.

All new members should read the Buddy Systems post and the additional commentaries in the 238th post in that string. Also I put up a new string a couple of days ago titled A Warning About Quit Journals. It was in a few of our newer member Quit Journals that this kind of affiliation between new members was occurring, and where it was becoming obviously that other new members started to perceive were the best places to spend their times at Freedom.

Again, the most valuable utilization of your time at Freedom is from learning all that you can about why you smoked, why you wanted to stop, how to stop and then--most important of all--how to stay off. The way to accomplish this is by reading and learning all you can from our articles and from the posts of our longer-term successful quitter that offer insights of people who for a significant amount of time now have proven that they can get through life's trials and tribulations with their quits intact from having finally having learned that to stay smoke free is as simple as sticking to a personal commitment to never take another puff!

Joel

Joel

10 Jun 2005, 09:46 #39

Image Sometimes, even when it is too late for one thing, it is not too late for other things. Smoking likely ended up costing the mother in this story her life. Her quitting likely ended up saving her son's life. She quit in time to prove to her son and the rest of her family that a person even under the worst of conditions can make and stick to a commitment to never take another puff! Joel

Joel

24 Sep 2005, 05:59 #40

I see Geo is just now celebrating his 5 year anniversary. I can't help but to think of Vivian whenever Geo drops by the board. I popped up this string and attached the following comment the day Geo broke the news to us that his mother had passed away. As all can see Geo got through that time period with his quit intact which is an important example to all that even in the worst of times that people will stay successful as long as the continue to stick to their personal commitment to never take another puff.
ImageRecommend Message 26 of 100 in Discussion
In memory of Vivian:

I know the diseases and time frame involved were very different--but the message in the epilog of being able to prove to the rest of the world that quitting is possible often has the ripple effect of teaching those around you and often, those most imprtant to you, that they too can quit. Vivian achieved this when Geo quit, and I suspect this was one of her greatest comforts and joys when she proved to him and everyone else she supported that she was able to never take another puff.

Joel