I Can't Quit or I Won't Quit

Joel

14 Mar 2002, 07:37 #21

I thought it seemed appropriate to bring this one up to honor the memory of Diana's father. (See A very sad day, but grateful for my Freedom nonetheless.) I suspect many of us have been touched by such losses. It is nice to know that we are all taking steps here to end this sort of tragic legacy--to pass along the knowledge to your future generations that instead of having to die to quit smoking--you can quit smoking to live--and live healthier, better and longer as long as you always know to never take another puff!

Joel

childofnite GOLD.ffn

14 Mar 2002, 12:24 #22

Thank you Joel. ((Joel))

I appreciate what you have done for me more than you will ever know.

I never thought of smoking in any sort of positive light today, only negative. It took my father from me six years ago today, and will quite possibly take my mother from me as well. I'll be damned if it will take me or my future children. It ends with me.

Yqs, Diana
7.5 Months.

Joel

06 Apr 2003, 08:03 #23

Excerpt from above:

"I can't stay, I had a horrible tragedy in my family today, my brother was killed in an accident." Fighting back emotions she continued. "I wasn't even supposed to come tonight, I am supposed to be helping my family making funeral arrangements. But I knew I had to stop by if I was going to continue to not smoke." She had only been off two days now. But not smoking was important to her. The group felt terrible, but were so proud of her, it made what happened in their day seem so trivial.

This part of the story alone deserved its own string. People can quit and stay free even at the worst of times. The best way to keep even the worst of times from being even worse is to always remember to never take another puff!

Joel

Joel

23 Apr 2003, 05:34 #24

There was some discussion in another string about whether or not a person can quit smoking because he or she is addicted. Addiction to nicotine explains why a person smokes the way he or she smokes. It does not on the other hand excuse a person from smoking.

When a person says that he or she can't quit because he or she is addicted, he or she is wrong. All addiction means to a smoker is that he or she cannot smoke the way he or she wants to. He or she has to smoke in a way that alleviates withdrawal or suffer from the chronic withdrawal state induced from part-time or limited smoking. The woman in this story is a prime example. W

as she addicted to nicotine for years and decades? You bet she was. Did she somehow become unaddicted* when she was diagnosed with lung cancer? No, she was as addicted as she always was. Was it impossible for her to quit because she was addicted? Of course not, she quit smoking so quitting was possible. So the only question is why did she smoke for so long if she was really always able to quit?

The sad answer to that is that she never realized that she was able to quit until the cancer was diagnosed or she didn't feel that she had a good enough reason to quit until then. Sadly, whichever the reason was, using it ended up with her smoking until it was too late to save her life. Fortunately, it was not too late to save her loved ones lives and I hope her story has helped countless people over the past 25 years to save their lives too from her example.

Addiction causes a person to smoke the way he or she smokes. Understanding the addiction gives a person the tools he or she needs to break free from smoking. For once the addiction is understood for what it is the person has the one piece of ammunition to take permanent control of smoking, which is simply understanding to break free and stay free from smoking is to stop delivering nicotine from any source and then to always remember to never take another puff!

Joel

* Look it up in the dictionary. There is no such word as "unaddicted." This is not by accident. I have a post up somewhere about this but can't lay my hands on it at the moment. Hopefully someone will bring it up or if not I will try to track it down later.

Joel

28 Nov 2003, 22:09 #25

Image Here is the link to another post that I think people reading here will benefit from seeing: Lung Cancer, Stage 4

John (Gold)

31 Dec 2003, 09:05 #26

[url=http://whyquit.com/whyquit/A_Noni.html][color=#0000FF][size=160]inoN Noni[/color][/size][/url]

Noni couldn't or she didn't?

Last edited by John (Gold) on 07 Mar 2009, 00:53, edited 1 time in total.

Joel

23 Jan 2004, 01:02 #28

We have a few people talking about the influence their smoking has on their children. I hope all of these people read this one to see the influence quitting smoking can have on their children and other loved ones down the road.

John (Gold)

16 Feb 2004, 07:59 #29

We may not think that this story applies to us but being a little bit addicted is like being a little bit pregnant. Like alcoholism our dependency is permanent and each of us only have two considerations: tolerance and how much nicotine it will take in order to die an addict's death or recovery and how much healing our bodies will experience, how rich our comfort becomes, and the number of extra sunrises we'll get to experience.

We cannot quit or we will not quit? Is this really even a challenge when compared to what looms in relapse? There was always only one rule, no nicotine today. The next few minutes are doable. Breathe deep, hug hard, live long! John
Last edited by John (Gold) on 07 Mar 2009, 00:45, edited 1 time in total.

Kimberlytwist

01 Apr 2004, 10:20 #30

I never really thought about how my habit effected by children until I quit. I never smoked around them, never in the car, house, etc. I always smoked outside. My little girl sent me this e-mail a few days after I quit, and it broke my heart, but made me even more determined to succeed.
It sorta gives you an idea how our children feel about our bad choices. This is kid lingo for the computer.....I had to read it a few times....

mom,

hey i wanna tell u that im very proud of wat ur doing u noe smoking!and im glad that ur doing it and i hope u never go back.because i dunnno wat i would do if i lost u to lung cancer. i wouldn't eat sleep play or even go to school i luv u too much to loose u. i've lost too many people just this year. and life has just began for me,and i wouldn't want it to start of loosing u! Ma i luv u and always will for ever no matter how much u get me mad,sad,angery.I still and always will love you for -ever.mom i have never been proud in my life the way i am at u.Mom thank you for doing this! i luv u.
<3always,
your daughter michelle
p.s thanks