I'm an ADDICT! HooRAY!

I'm an ADDICT! HooRAY!

FreedomNicotine

10 Dec 2008, 13:53 #1

I'm an ADDICT! HooRAY!

From: ImageOBob-Gold  (Original Message) Sent: 3/1/2002 4:35 PM
Knowing this has been the most liberating, empowering thing.  Last night, I go out for a bit of a session.  I had no idea I'd end up at the one bar left in Santa Cruz County where they're famous for ignoring California's indoor-smoking ban.  It's a California smoker's Mecca.  

I'd been avoiding it since I quit.  It's not my favorite place.  But the gang we were out with wanted to go, so we piled into the cab, and whala!  There I am in the smokiest room I've been in since 5am on January 5th.  Out of about 40 people, there were probably 3 non-smokers, including myself and Tess.  

MAN, did they smell enticing.  I mean they really did.  And my junky inside saw an opportunity, and started assaulting me with junky thoughts.  It was different than the craves you get in your first month.  There wasn't any physical component.  Probably because I wasn't overwhelmed with anxiety at the prospect of facing the evening.  These were the, "boy, wouldn't it be great to be smoking" variety.

But, while the junky was yammering away, the free person inside knew how to cope.  Knew how to cope because I KNOW I am an ADDICT!  I didn't know that in the past.  I believed I smoked too much because I'd gotten in a bad habit.  I figured that I could quit for a while, and then, once the habit was broken, I could go back, and have the occassional ciggie.  I know that to be the product of a lack of education. 

Because I know I'm an addict, I know that there is NO SUCH THING as having one casual cigarette.  It's an impossibility.  ONE = ALL, a fact that I've proven over and over to myself in the past.  

So, as I sat there, knowing that I would choose freedom over dependency, but still pestered by the junky inside, I allowed myself to enjoy the smell.  The manufacturers spend a lot of money putting spices, perfumes and other additives in cigarettes to make them smell good (at least the side-stream smoke).  I couldn't pretend that they didn't smell good.  They did.  So, I acknowledged it, accepted it, and even appreciated it.  I could appreciate it because I knew that by not putting one to my mouth and inhaling, I was remaining free.

I reminded myself several times of the OTHER cigarettes I'd be smoking if I puffed last night.  The other cigarettes were part of the package that came with the one puff.  There can be no separating the two.  Just like they did with the Olympics coverage, where they superimposed two skiers who raced at different times on the same shot to see how they compared, I superimposed the cigarettes I used to gag on outside the liquor store, when I capitulated to my addiction nearly every afternoon, over the image of myself smoking the illusive "one happy cigarette" in the bar.  I superimposed the ones I'd smoke at my desk -- not because I wanted them, but because I NEEDED them to stave off withdrawal -- over the "happy one" too.  The last cigarette before bed that got my heart pounding so hard I couldn't fall asleep for an hour got thrown up on the screen as well.  The picture was getting more accurate.  They're all the same cigarette.  There IS no differentiation.  The "happy one" is also the gagging, involuntary, heart stomping one.  Indivisible.  The junky inside was getting frustrated.

We were playing pool, and a friend had her lit cigarette in the ash tray while she shot.  I wasn't afraid of it any more, because I saw it for what it was.  I picked it up, and looked at it.  Saw the way the paper burned, and the way the gray smoke curled upward.  Saw the brown stain on the end of the filter, where the poison enters the addict's mouth.  I stared it down.  I know what you are, I thought.  Wasn't gloating; just acknowledging.  I put it back down, and went and took my shot.

None of this was possible before I found Freedom, and the education I received here.  I didn't know what that cigarette was before.  I didn't have the ability to superimpose the many bad ones over the "happy one".  All I would see was the "happy one".  My eyes are now OPEN.  They're open to the true nature of nicotine, and my addiction.  Today, I celebrate the discovery of my addiction.  This "addiction" -- the discovery and understanding of it -- has set me free.  

Last edited by FreedomNicotine on 16 Jul 2012, 10:51, edited 3 times in total.

Joe J free

20 Feb 2009, 00:21 #2

Good deal, Bob! I found myself in a bar totally unexpectedly on Super Bowl Sunday. I left the house to go to a taco joint nearby only to find that they had closed an hour early due to the game. So I went to a bar where I figured I could pick up some decent munchies. I sat at a table behind the bar area, and watched the game and the smokers. I was there for probably twenty minutes altogether, and don't you know it, one of the smokers was already on cig number two before I left. I didn't feel any temptation thanks to Freedom. I might have felt differently if I had stayed longer. I brought the food home, and I couldn't eat it because I felt like I was eating cigarettes. Yuch, but LOL.
Thank you Freedom! yqs, Janet
Image Bob makes my job so easy. Again, I have nothing more I need to say.
Right on Bob! Since quitting, I've found out why I liked my old brand. RJR isn't telling us much but my ole brand - Vantage Regular is big on Ammonium Hydroxide (to reduce tobacco acids), Diammonium Phosphate (reacts with sugars and produces a toast like flavor - I love toast), Licorice (for sweetness to taste - I've always loved licorice), Cocoa (to make tobacco smell good while burning - chocolate is awesome in my book) and Corn Syrup (for aroma)
Here are a few of the taste and smell additives that tobacco companies are using to make us like certain brands more than others.

Acetanisole Acetic Acid Acetoin Acetophenone 6-Acetoxydihydrotheaspirane 2-Acetyl-3- Ethylpyrazine 2-Acetyl-5-Methylfuran Acetylpyrazine 2-Acetylpyridine 3-Acetylpyridine 2-Acetylthiazole Aconitic Acid dl-Alanine Alfalfa Extract Allspice Extract Oleoresin And Oil Allyl Hexanoate Allyl Ionone Almond Bitter Oil Ambergris Tincture Ammonia Ammonium Bicarbonate Ammonium Hydroxide Ammonium Phosphate Dibasic Ammonium Sulfide Amyl Alcohol Amyl Butyrate Amyl Formate Amyl Octanoate alpha-Amylcinnamaldehyde Amyris Oil trans-Anethole Angelica Root Extract Anise Anise Star Extract and Oils Anisyl Acetate Anisyl Alcohol Anisyl Formate Anisyl Phenylacetate Apple Juice Concentrate Apricot Extract & Juice 1-Arginine Asafetida Fluid Extract And Oil Ascorbic Acid 1-Asparagine Monohydrate 1-Aspartic Acid Balsam Peru and Oil Basil Oil Bay Leaf Oil and Sweet Oil Beeswax White Beet Juice Concentrate Benzaldehyde Benzaldehyde Glyceryl Acetal Benzoic Acid Benzoin Benzoin Resin Benzophenone Benzyl Alcohol Benzyl Benzoate Benzyl Butyrate Benzyl Cinnamate Benzyl Propionate Benzyl Salicylate Bergamot Oil Bisabolene Black Currant Buds Absolute Borneol Bornyl Acetate Buchu Leaf Oil 13-Butanediol 23-Butanedione 1-Butanol 2-Butanone 4(2-Butenylidene)-355-Trimethyl Butter Butter Esters & Butter Oil Butyl Acetate Butyl Butyrate Butyl Butyryl Lactate Butyl Isovalerate Butyl Phenylacetate Butyl Undecylenate 3-Butylidenephthalide Butyric Acid Cadinene Caffeine Calcium Carbonate Camphene Cananga Oil Capsicum Oleoresin Caramel Color Caraway Oil Carbon Dioxide Cardamom Oleoresin Seed Carob Bean and Extract beta-Carotene Carrot Oil Carvacrol 4-Carvomenthenol 1-Carvone beta-Caryophyllene beta-Caryophyllene Oxide Cascarilla Oil and Bark Extract Cassia Bark Oil Cassie Absolute and Oil Castoreum Extract Tincture & Absolute Cedar Leaf Oil Cedarwood Oil Terpenes & Virginiana Cedrol Celery Seed Extract Cellulose Fiber Chamomile Flower Oil And Extract Chicory Extract Chocolate Cinnamaldehyde Cinnamic Acid Cinnamon Leaf Oil Bark Oil & Extract Cinnamyl Acetate Cinnamyl Alcohol Cinnamyl Cinnamate Cinnamyl Isovalerate Cinnamyl Propionate Citral Citric Acid Citronella Oil dl-Citronellol Citronellyl Butyrate Citronellyl Isobutyrate Civet Absolute Clary Oil Clover Tops Red Solid Extract Cocoa Cocoa Shells Extract Coconut Oil Coffee Cognac White and Green Oil Copaiba Oil Coriander Extract and Oil Corn Oil Corn Silk Costus Root Oil Cubeb Oil Cuminaldehyde para-Cymene 1-Cysteine Dandelion Root Solid Extract Davana Oil 2-trans 4-trans-Decadienal delta-Decalactone gamma-Decalactone Decanal Decanoic Acid 1-Decanol 2-Decenal Dehydromenthofurolactone Diethyl Malonate Diethyl Sebacate 23-Diethylpyrazine Dihydro Anethole 57-Dihydro-2-Methylthieno(34-D) Dill Seed Oil and Extract meta-Dimethoxybenzene para-Dimethoxybenzene 26-Dimethoxyphenol Dimethyl Succinate 34-Dimethyl-12-Cyclopentanedione 35- Dimethyl-12-Cyclopentanedione 37-Dimethyl-136-Octatriene 45-Dimethyl-3-Hydroxy-25 610-Dimethyl-59-Undecadien-2-One 37-Dimethyl-6-Octenoic Acid 24-Dimethylacetophenone alphapara-Dimethylbenzyl Alcohol alphaalpha-Dimethylphenethyl Acetate alphaalpha Dimethylphenethyl Butyrate 23-Dimethylpyrazine 25-Dimethylpyrazine 26-Dimethylpyrazine Dimethyltetrahydrobenzofuranone delta-Dodecalactone gamma-Dodecalactone para-Ethoxybenzaldehyde Ethyl 10-Undecenoate Ethyl 2-Methylbutyrate Ethyl Acetate Ethyl Acetoacetate Ethyl Alcohol Ethyl Benzoate Ethyl Butyrate Ethyl Cinnamate Ethyl Decanoate Ethyl Fenchol Ethyl Furoate Ethyl Heptanoate Ethyl Hexanoate Ethyl Isovalerate Ethyl Lactate Ethyl Laurate Ethyl Levulinate Ethyl Maltol Ethyl Methyl Phenylglycidate Ethyl Myristate Ethyl Nonanoate Ethyl Octadecanoate Ethyl Octanoate Ethyl Oleate Ethyl Palmitate Ethyl Phenylacetate Ethyl Propionate Ethyl Salicylate Ethyl trans-2-Butenoate Ethyl Valerate Ethyl Vanillin 2-Ethyl (or Methyl)-(35 and 6) 2-Ethyl-1-Hexanol 3-Ethyl -2 2-Ethyl-3 (5 or 6)-Dimethylpyrazine 5-Ethyl-3-Hydroxy-4-Methyl-2(5H) 2-Ethyl-3-Methylpyrazine 4-Ethylbenzaldehyde 4-Ethylguaiacol para-Ethylphenol 3-Ethylpyridine Eucalyptol Farnesol D-Fenchone Fennel Sweet Oil Fenugreek Extract Resin and Absolute Fig Juice Concentrate Food Starch Modified Furfuryl Mercaptan 4-(2-Furyl)-3-Buten-2-One Galbanum Oil Genet Absolute Gentian Root Extract Geraniol Geranium Rose Oil Geranyl Acetate Geranyl Butyrate Geranyl Formate Geranyl Isovalerate Geranyl Phenylacetate Ginger Oil and Oleoresin 1-Glutamic Acid 1-Glutamine Glycerol Glycyrrhizin Ammoniated Grape Juice Concentrate Guaiac Wood Oil Guaiacol Guar Gum 24-Heptadienal gamma-Heptalactone Heptanoic Acid 2-Heptanone 3-Hepten-2-One 2-Hepten-4-One 4-Heptenal trans -2-Heptenal Heptyl Acetate omega-6-Hexadecenlactone gamma-Hexalactone Hexanal Hexanoic Acid 2-Hexen-1-Ol 3-Hexen-1-Ol cis-3-Hexen-1-Yl Acetate 2-Hexenal 3-Hexenoic Acid trans-2-Hexenoic Acid cis-3-Hexenyl Formate Hexyl 2-Methylbutyrate Hexyl Acetate Hexyl Alcohol Hexyl Phenylacetate 1-Histidine Honey Hops Oil Hydrolyzed Milk Solids Hydrolyzed Plant Proteins 5-Hydroxy-24-Decadienoic Acid delta 4-Hydroxy-25-Dimethyl-3(2H)-Furanone 2-Hydroxy-355-Trimethyl-2-Cyclohexen 4-Hydroxy -3-Pentenoic Acid Lactone 2-Hydroxy-4-Methylbenzaldehyde 4-Hydroxybutanoic Acid Lactone Hydroxycitronellal 6-Hydroxydihydrotheaspirane 4-(para-Hydroxyphenyl)-2-Butanone Hyssop Oil Immortelle Absolute and Extract alpha-Ionone beta-Ionone alpha-Irone Isoamyl Acetate Isoamyl Benzoate Isoamyl Butyrate Isoamyl Cinnamate Isoamyl Formate Isoamyl Hexanoate Isoamyl Isovalerate Isoamyl Octanoate Isoamyl Phenylacetate Isobornyl Acetate Isobutyl Acetate Isobutyl Alcohol Isobutyl Cinnamate Isobutyl Phenylacetate Isobutyl Salicylate 2-Isobutyl-3-Methoxypyrazine alpha-Isobutylphenethyl Alcohol Isobutyraldehyde Isobutyric Acid dl-Isoleucine alpha-Isomethylionone 2-Isopropylphenol Isovaleric Acid Jasmine Absolute Concrete and Oil Kola Nut Extract Labdanum Absolute and Oleoresin Lactic Acid Lauric Acid Lauric Aldehyde Lavandin Oil Lavender Oil Lemon Oil and Extract Lemongrass Oil 1-Leucine Levulinic Acid Licorice Root Fluid Extract Lime Oil Linalool Linalool Oxide Linalyl Acetate Linden Flowers Lovage Oil And Extract 1-Lysine Mace Powder Extract and Oil Magnesium Carbonate Malic Acid Malt and Malt Extract Maltodextrin Maltol Maltyl Isobutyrate Mandarin Oil Maple Syrup and Concentrate Mate Leaf Absolute and Oil para-Mentha-8-Thiol-3-One Menthol Menthone Menthyl Acetate dl-Methionine Methoprene 2-Methoxy-4-Methylphenol 2-Methoxy-4-Vinylphenol para-Methoxybenzaldehyde 1-(para-Methoxyphenyl)-1-Penten-3-One 4-(para-Methoxyphenyl)-2-Butanone 1-(para-Methoxyphenyl)-2-Propanone Methoxypyrazine Methyl 2-Furoate Methyl 2-Octynoate Methyl 2-Pyrrolyl Ketone Methyl Anisate Methyl Anthranilate Methyl Benzoate Methyl Cinnamate Methyl Dihydrojasmonate Methyl Ester of Rosin Methyl Isovalerate Methyl Linoleate (48%) Methyl Linolenate (52%) Mixture Methyl Naphthyl Ketone Methyl Nicotinate Methyl Phenylacetate Methyl Salicylate Methyl Sulfide 3-Methyl-1-Cyclopentadecanone 4-Methyl-1-Phenyl-2-Pentanone 5-Methyl-2-Phenyl-2-Hexenal 5-Methyl-2-Thiophenecarboxaldehyde 6-Methyl-3-5-Heptadien-2-One 2-Methyl-3-(para-Isopropylphenyl) 5-Methyl-3-Hexen-2-One 1-Methyl-3Methoxy-4-Isopropylbenzene 4-Methyl-3-Pentene-2-One 2-Methyl-4-Phenylbutyraldehyde 6-Methyl-5-Hepten-2-One 4-Methyl-5-Thiazoleethanol 4-Methyl-5-Vinylthiazole Mthyl-alpha-Ionone Methyl-trans-2-Butenoic Acid 4-Methylacetophenone para-Methylanisole alpha-Methylbenzyl Acetate alpha-Methylbenzyl Alcohol 2-Methylbutyraldehyde 3-Methylbutyraldehyde 2-Methylbutyric Acid alpha-Methylcinnamaldehyde Methylcyclopentenolone 2-Methylheptanoic Acid 2-Methylhexanoic Acid 3-Methylpentanoic Acid 4-Methylpentanoic Acid 2-Methylpyrazine 5-Methylquinoxaline 2-Methyltetrahydrofuran-3-One (Methylthio)Methylpyrazine 3-Methylthiopropionaldehyde Methyl 3-Methylthiopropionate 2-Methylvaleric Acid Mimosa Absolute and Extract Molasses Extract and Tincture Mountain Maple Solid Extract Mullein Flowers Myristaldehyde Myristic Acid Myrrh Oil beta-Napthyl Ethyl Ether Nerol Neroli Bigarde Oil Nerolidol Nona-2-trans6-cis-Dienal 26-Nonadien-1-Ol gamma-Nonalactone Nonanal Nonanoic Acid Nonanone trans-2-Nonen-1-Ol 2-Nonenal Nonyl Acetate Nutmeg Powder and Oil Oak Chips Extract and Oil Oak Moss Absolute Octadecadienoic Acid delta-Octalactone gamma-Octalactone Octanal Octanoic Acid 1-Octanol 2-Octanone 3-Octen-2-One 1-Octen-3-Ol 1-Octen-3-Yl Acetate 2-Octenal Octyl Isobutyrate Oleic Acid Olibanum Oil Opoponax Oil And Gum Orange Blossoms Absolute Orange Oil and Extract Origanum Oil Orris Concrete Oil & Root Extract Palmarosa Oil Palmitic Acid Parsley Seed Oil Patchouli Oil omega-Pentadecalactone 23-Pentanedione 2-Pentanone 4-Pentenoic Acid 2-Pentylpyridine Pepper Oil Black And White Peppermint Oil Peruvian (Bois De Rose) Oil Petitgrain Absolute Mandarin Oil Petitgrain Terpeneless Oil alpha-Phellandrene 2-Phenenthyl Acetate Phenenthyl Alcohol Phenethyl Butyrate Phenethyl Cinnamate Phenethyl Isobutyrate Phenethyl Isovalerate Phenethyl Phenylacetate Phenethyl Salicylate 1-Phenyl-1-Propanol 3-Phenyl-1-Propanol 2-Phenyl-2-Butenal 4-Phenyl-3-Buten-2-Ol 4-Phenyl-3-Buten-2-One Phenylacetaldehyde Phenylacetic Acid 1-Phenylalanine 3-Phenylpropionaldehyde 3-Phenylpropionic Acid 3-Phenylpropyl Acetate 3-Phenylpropyl Cinnamate 2-(3-Phenylpropyl)Tetrahydrofuran Phosphoric Acid Pimenta Leaf Oil Pine Needle Oil Pine Oil Scotch Pineapple Juice Concentrate alpha-Pinene beta-Pinene D-Piperitone Piperonal Pipsissewa Leaf Extract Plum Juice Potassium Sorbate 1-Proline Propenylguaethol Propionic Acid Propyl Acetate Propyl para-Hydroxybenzoate Propylene Glycol 3-Propylidenephthalide Prune Juice and Concentrate Pyridine Pyroligneous Acid And Extract Pyrrole Pyruvic Acid Raisin Juice Concentrate Rhodinol Rose Absolute and Oil Rosemary Oil Rum Rum Ether Rye Extract Sage Sage Oil and Sage Oleoresin Salicylaldehyde Sandalwood Oil Yellow Sclareolide Skatole Smoke Flavor Snakeroot Oil Sodium Acetate Sodium Benzoate Sodium Bicarbonate Sodium Carbonate Sodium Chloride Sodium Citrate Sodium Hydroxide Solanone Spearmint Oil Styrax Extract Gum and Oil Sucrose Octaacetate Sugar Alcohols Sugars Tagetes Oil Tannic Acid Tartaric Acid Tea Leaf and Absolute alpha-Terpineol Terpinolene Terpinyl Acetate 5678-Tetrahydroquinoxaline 1559-Tetramethyl-13-Oxatricyclo 2345 and 3456-Tetramethylethyl 2356-Tetramethylpyrazine Thiamine Hydrochloride Thiazole 1-Threonine Thyme Oil White and Red Thymol Tobacco Extracts Tochopherols (mixed) Tolu Balsam Gum and Extract Tolualdehydes para-Tolyl 3-Methylbutyrate para-Tolyl Acetaldehyde para-Tolyl Acetate para-Tolyl Isobutyrate para-Tolyl Phenylacetate Triacetin 2-Tridecanone 2-Tridecenal Triethyl Citrate 355-Trimethyl -1-Hexanol paraalphaalpha-Trimethylbenzyl Alcohol 4-(266-Trimethylcyclohex-1-Enyl) 266-Trimethylcyclohex-2-Ene-14-Dione 266-Trimethylcyclohexa-13-Dienyl Methan 4-(266-Trimethylcyclohexa-13-Dienyl) 226-Trimethylcyclohexanone 235-Trimethylpyrazine 1-Tyrosine delta-Undercalactone gamma-Undecalactone Undecanal 2-Undecanone 1 0-Undecenal Urea Valencene Valeraldehyde Valerian Root Extract Oil and Powder Valeric Acid gamma-Valerolactone Valine Vanilla Extract And Oleoresin Vanillin Veratraldehyde Vetiver Oil Vinegar Violet Leaf Absolute Walnut Hull Extract Water Wheat Extract And Flour Wild Cherry Bark Extract Wine and Wine Sherry Xanthan Gum 34-Xylenol Yeast

If you smoked Pall Mall Filtered Full Flavor King these were the basic ingredients:

Tobacco Water, Propylene, Glycol Glycerol, Honey, Cellulose Fiber, Sugar , Prune Juice Concentrate, Cocoa, Licorice, Specially Denatured Alcohol No.4 ,Carob Bean, Chocolate, Liquor, Natural and Artificial Flavors

To learn what's in your favorite brand just go to your favorite search engine and type in:
Brand Name + Cigarette + Ingredients (leave out the + sign). My favorite search engine is www.google.com Give it a try! You just might be surprised to see some of your favorite flavors! These guys selling tobacco have spent billions finding out what we like and they are very very good at pleasing our senses of smell and taste!
RIGHT ON !
BROTHERS
That's great. Reading OBob's, then Joel's reply.
Perfect.
The Zen of Freedom.
OBob is a wonderful journalist, reporter, story teller. Joel is Joel. Together?
Could be a Perfect for Freedom thing for awhile!! More power to ya!!!!..
You're both similar in wonderful vocabularies, syntax, descriptions, of experiences with une petite Je n'e sais quoi? thrown in.
Merci Beaucoup!!!!
YQS
Alice
Bronze Plus aka Magenta
John
I sent my reply and
B O O M
there's your list and what a list it is.

Wow.
Very interesting.
YQS
Alice
Thanks Bob for your insightful comments - for sure the situation you describe is one where most of us have lost our past quits for the simple reason that we thought we could suddenly turn into social smokers - never the case with us!

And what a wonderful job you did of eyeballing the demon! In the future hopefully he will have no hold over you - wish I had been as gutsy at that wedding! Did Tess cope as well as you did - did you find you were a support to each other?

I can imagine you and Tess relaxing into the comfort zone in your home -where the only smoke allowed will be at your famous sausage cook-outs!!!
Ingrid
Tess did great too! I've noticed a distinct change in her attitude towards it all in the last week or so. She seems much less apprehensive, and much more determined. I asked her about it once last night, and she said she definitely had a few longings, but didn't consider puffing at all. I usually let HER bring it up, if she wants to talk about it, which she does every so often.... generally to mention a milestone of some sort.

LOVE the gif(t)! You even got my hairline right. And ODog is back! Totally cool! Thanks. I just set it as my desktop theme.
just a note to John concerning the additives in your vantange cigarettes and all other brands as well.....the first two you mentioned, licorice and cocoa are the vehicles put in the cigarettes not only to enhance the taste and smell, but they are actually the bronchodialors in cigarettes. those are the two ingredients added to cigarettes to make sure that our bronchii are open and able to accept the nicotine for faster delivery to the brain. Cocoa contains theopholine, the chemical used in inhalers for asmatatics and others suffering from COPD, as well as the licorice which contains, Glycyrrhizin. This explains in part why many people reach for chocolate or black licorice after quitting smoking. By the way, besides many calories for both chocolate and licorice, the glycyrrhizin in licorice, if ingested in larger than normal quatities, has the ability to raise one's blood pressure according to my pulmonologist. So this must be watched too.

below the findings in the tobacco hearings:

3.4.3 Cocoa and theobromine
Widely used as an additive, cocoa contains alkaloids, which may modify the effects of nicotine and have a pharmacological effect in themselves. Cocoa also contains about 1% theobromine, a 'bronchodilator' - encouraging expansion of the airways and facilitating increased smoke and nicotine intake.
The following quotes are from scientific and medical papers held by Philip Morris:

"Theobromine: The principal alkaloid of the cocoa bean which contains 1.5-3% of the base... bronchodilation effect in asthma."51
"The bronchodilator effect of a 10mg dose of theobromine was compared with that of 5mg of theophylline in young patients with asthma.... In this single dose study the bronchodilatory effect produced by theobromine was clinically and statistically significant.... improvement in all pulmonary function tests was noted after the ingestion of theobromine or theophylline."52 The addiction of these chemicals, in many cases, may mask an underlying problem when smoking. Stop smoking and take away these additives and a person who does not know he has asthma or emphsema or other symptoms of COPD is at once faced with a difficulty breathing from lack of broncodiators. This is how I found out I had asthma. Of course keep on smoking and you're liable to end up with much, much worse.

3.4.4 Glycyrrhizin
An ingredient of liquorice - another commonly used additive, glycyrrhizin also acts as a bronchodilator.
"What does a bronchodilator do? The bronchodilator makes it easier for you to inhale, so obviously if you are having difficulty putting smoke in your lungs, it's good to have a bronchodilator in there. Now I was asked recently whether I knew whether the glycerizon being delivered is delivered in adequate concentration to cause that to happen. I do not know the answer to that question. It would be interesting to know whether that has been studied by the industry. If they have studied it, it would seem that that is the kind of information that should be shared with regard to ingredients. The point is, however, that we know it can happen, it is a bronchodilator. The probability that it happens is very high, but that would be related to studies that should be done."53 (Farone WA 1997)

Linda

2 years free
Great post Bob!
My husband smokes.
Even when it does smell good, I picture it as

Patsy
WOW Linda, THAT's an eye-opener! I'm sure I've passed over similar information in my travels around Freedom in the past (the part about masking asthma sounds familiar). But, for some reason, in the context of masking asthma or COPD, I glossed over it -- since I, thankfully, don't suffer from those problems.

What hit me on the head NOW though, is how a bronchodilator would affect the smoker who had a cold. Given what you've written, I'm translating it as, it would have one effect of actually making it easier to breathe (short term) for a person with a chest cold. I specifically remember feeling this during chest colds of the past. I ALSO remember the added brown tinge of the mucous, the increased coughing, the increased gagging, the increased duration of my colds, the increased likelihood that a head cold would end up in my lungs... which they usually did...etc., but that IMMEDIATE effect of, ahh, I can breathe clearly for the duration of this cigarette (and the next one, and the next one, and the next one) is powerful. I believe it may be partially responsible for the junky thinking that told me I was actually smoking to make the cold BETTER. I had thought that it was PURE junky thinking, but I'm thinking now, that there may have been a specific chemical effect -- bronchdilation -- that gave the false impression that the cigarette was helping.
hi again Bob....this was truly an eye opener for me. After I quit smoking is when I found it increasingly difficult to breathe or rather, I became very short of breath. Repeated visits to several doctors and chest xrays showed no change from year before. lungs sounded good and chest clear. a referral to a pulmonary specialist and further tests, indicated out of control, asthma. Before I quit, I would get strange sensations and wheezed a bit, but nothing a cigarette wouldn't cure at the time.Image

think of it......have you or anyone else experienced a really bad coughing spell and then lit a cigarette or two to make it stop? well that's those bronchodialators at work.Image

below are my sources for the findings above. I forgot to include them. again, they were findings in the tobacco hearings. this link below explains the hows and whys of the additives and is really an eye opener. many, like the cocoa and licorice have dual purposes as you will see.
Linda

http://www.ash.org.uk/?additives
Tobacco additives
Cigarette engineering and nicotine addiction

Clive Bates
Action on Smoking and Health
London

Dr. Martin Jarvis
Imperial Cancer Research Fund
London

Dr. Gregory Connolly
Massachusetts Tobacco Control Program
Boston

14 July 1999
Thanks!
Thanks Linda,

You know, this couldn't have come at a more opportune time. Last night, I went to the pub for dinner, and one of my friends sat with me for a chat. He chews tobacco -- an admitted addict. His girlfriend smokes. He hates her smoking.... literally hates it.... it's emotional for him. The reason is that she's an asthmatic. She's 21 years old, one of the nicest, most easy-going people you could ever meet, has asthma, and has recently lost an NRT qut (her NRT was chewing tobacco), after being told by the doctor when she was recently hospitalized with respiratory problems that she had the lungs of a 60 year old, and that if she didn't quit, she couldn't expect to live very long.

They just got internet access, so I gave my friend the whyquit address. He would really like to quit the chew, and I know that, independant of his feelings, she would like to quit smoking as well. I'm going to print out the information you've posted, and give it to them.

I'm also curious to know if we have any former chewers at Freedom? We're always using the smoker-specific mantra of Never Take Another Puff. For my friend, he'll have to modify that to Never Take Another Pinch.

Cheers,

Bob
Thank you...Bob...I am an addict too....and by accepting my addiction...I can be free....today is my 26 day of freedom from nicotine....I can relate to your story because I was at the casino.....where most people smoke.....the smelll....I have regained my sense of smell....I have no desire to smoke while playing video poker....But I am not blind and I can tell all the addicts PUFFING AWAY...I DO NOT WANT TO TAKE ANOTHER PUFF ,ONE DAY AT A TIME , FOR THE REST OF MY LIFE.......CONGRATULATIONS..... CLAUDIA
Hi OBob....this is a very informative thread. We can all benefit from it.

The story of 19 year old Sean might benefit you friend that chews.

Sean 19

http://whyquit.com/whyquit/SeanMarsee.html

I hope it is beneficial to someone reading this.
Thanks Nora. That certainly gives it straight.
Last edited by Joe J free on 02 Jul 2009, 03:18, edited 4 times in total.

Joe J free

20 Feb 2009, 00:32 #3

Thanks everybody for your posts in this chain. Linda, that was very interesting about chocolate and licorice. No wonder I actually CRAVE them. And I try, obviously, not to eat too much. LOL.
Yup, I'm an asthmatic who has experienced increased difficulties in breathing since I quit in October. Still am. But that's OK. I know I'm healing. It's slower in some ways than I had expected. The healing.
My wonderful son-in-law told me something. He said he read that for EVERY year one smokes, it takes one month of healing. 30 years of smoking = 30 months of healing, 30 months = 2 and a 1/2 years of healing.
Patience is a Virtue!
Also, thanks Nora for your link. I had NO idea that chewing tobacco could do so much damage so fast.
Wow.
Have a nice night everybody. time to cook dinner.
Alice
Bronze Plus
Hey ,

This thread reminds of my smoking whenever I used to have Colds and Cough...I used to have uncontrollable coughing but used to smoke..My family and friends used to laugh at me when I said smoke gives me some relief from cold..They used to say you are further complicating yourself..(I agree)..but now I understand why I used to get temporary relief although it used to get worse later on if I smoke.....

Actually when i had cold I used to apply Vicks vaporub( a cold medicine) On the cigarette and then smoke it assuming that the heat will melt the vaporub and carry it deep inside my throat to provide relief Image...

Ravi
Bob, Even though I responded to this post many months ago, I never told you how much I love it. I think about it frequently.
I Say, Dear Nic:
"Get Lost!". "I will not be fooled by your appearance."
Good Riddance!
yqs, Janet Image
I wasn't afraid of it any more, because I saw it for what it was. I picked it up, and looked at it. Saw the way the paper burned, and the way the gray smoke curled upward. Saw the brown stain on the end of the filter, where the poison enters the addict's mouth. I stared it down. I know what you are, I thought. Wasn't gloating; just acknowledging. I put it back down, and went and took my shot.

Not necessarily recommended for everyone..... particularly not for those on day 2,3,4 etc... but one day, when the time's right....the light bulbs will come on .... ImageImageImageImageImage

This "addiction" -- the discovery and understanding of it -- has set me free.
"....My eyes are now OPEN. They're open to the true nature of nicotine, and my addiction. Today, I celebrate the discovery of my addiction. This "addiction" -- the discovery and understanding of it -- has set me free. ...."OBob (Silver!)
OBob Silver
For Carl. Image

Today, I celebrate the discovery of my addiction. This "addiction" -- the discovery and understanding of it -- has set me free.
For David.

The discovery of one's own addiction, while intensely humbling, is the ultimate liberation.

Last edited by Joe J free on 08 Jul 2009, 00:58, edited 5 times in total.

Joe J free

20 Feb 2009, 00:40 #4

I always THOUGHT a brand new pack of stinky butts had a slight chocolate smell to it! Now I know why!

Thanks for the info and for bringing this back to the top!

David, Four weeks, 10 hours, 40 minutes and 12 seconds. 511 cigarettes not smoked, saving $38.38. Life saved: 1 day, 18 hours, 35 minutes.
You know, it's a funny thing about choices and possible futures. Here I sit in one possible (actual) future. Able to post to this thread in reminiscence over the choice I made these many months ago... delighted with my choice and my freedom. A choice that, made differently, would have led to a different possible future... one where I'd long ago put Freedom out of my mind. One where I'm still smoking away my waking hours, hacking away with my smoker's cough, telling myself that I've got to quit some day... trapped in the suicidal cycle that characterizes the smoker's daily routine.

This thread was an eye-opening moment for me (that's probably obvious). I had taken a serious one-day-at-a-time attitude with this quit, as well as a wait-and-see one. For a while after I quit, I left open the possibility of testing myself at a year.... but, not for now... not today. I figured I'd see how I felt about it when the time came.

But, one day (this day), the reality of what it means to be an addict finally sunk in. "Oh, wait, if I smoke at one year, then all this wasn't a year of triumph; but one of delayed failure." As freedom became more bearable, and correspondingly more enjoyable, the reality of what I'd be giving up and what I'd be taking on grew more concrete in my mind.

I guess that it was about the time of this thread that I decided this was no longer an experiment. I lost interest in "testing" myself, and accepted both that a) not smoking was preferable, and
b) that the only requirement to continue not smoking was to.... not smoke.

One = All. I'll stick with none.
ImageBob (2 years free)
Canadian governement's cigarette pack addiction warning label since 2000
I couldn't pretend that they didn't smell good. They did. So, I acknowledged it, accepted it, and even appreciated it. I could appreciate it because I knew that by not putting one to my mouth and inhaling, I was remaining free.

Great post SIr

Chris
For Asbury Chris.

The truth can set you free.

I stared it down. I know what you are, I thought. One = All. I'll stick with none. Today, I celebrate the discovery of my addiction. This "addiction" -- the discovery and understanding of it -- has set me free.

Wow, Bob, this is awesome, thank you. Yes, I am humbled by knowing I have a real addiction....and VERY encouraged by your "staring it down and claiming the truth...I KNOW WHAT YOU ARE.

Thanks

Katie - After 40 Years!, Free and Healing for One Month, Four Days, 11 Hours and 45 Minutes, while extending my life expectancy 2 Days, by avoiding the use of 586 nicotine delivery devices that would have cost me $117.43.
O'Bob FROM ABOVE:
"I had taken a serious one-day-at-a-time attitude with this quit, as well as a wait-and-see one. For a while after I quit, I left open the possibility of testing myself at a year.... but, not for now... not today. I figured I'd see how I felt about it when the time came.
But, one day (this day), the reality of what it means to be an addict finally sunk in. "Oh, wait, if I smoke at one year, then all this wasn't a year of triumph; but one of delayed failure." As freedom became more bearable, and correspondingly more enjoyable, the reality of what I'd be giving up and what I'd be taking on grew more concrete in my mind.
I guess that it was about the time of this thread that I decided this was no longer an experiment. I lost interest in "testing" myself, and accepted both that a)not smoking was preferable, and b)that the only requirement to continue not smoking was to.... not smoke. Image

I AGREE, wait and see makes not a bit of sense to me. I AM AN ADDICT - HOORAY!

Acceptance of Addiction + 100% Commitment to NTAP = Early Comfort

Change you inner dialogue from "I hope I don't" to "I KNOW I WON'T!"

The Law of Addiction is clear cut. It is the ultimate Alternate Choice Close. All or None.

You either do or you don't, there is no try!

One is Too Many & A Thousand Never Enough!

No going back, no stoppin us now, There is no legitimate reason to relapse.

"We must NEVER surrender" - Sir Winston Churchill

JjoejFree by choosing to NTAP! for the last 70+ days since I found the Key (acknowledged The Law of Addiction applied to me for nicotine) and walked through the door to Freedom from Tobacco!

A very 'worthy' discussion of Addiction by that Super Cyber Quitter, O'Bob.

....that the only requirement to continue not smoking was to.... not smoke. Image

Last edited by Joe J free on 24 Sep 2009, 19:14, edited 11 times in total.

Joe J free

20 Feb 2009, 00:49 #5

....that the only requirement to continue not smoking was to.... not smoke. Image
One = All. I'll stick with none.Image

joejFree always a nicotine addict and gratefully now an X-smoker for 4 months, 14 days, 21 hours, 23 minutes and 8 seconds (134 days)
I've now reclaimed 18 Days and 17 Hours to live life as I choose! Image NTAP!

"...while the junky was yammering away, the free person inside knew how to cope. Knew how to cope because I KNOW I am an ADDICT! I didn't know that in the past. I believed I smoked too much because I'd gotten in a bad habit."

I shamefacedly admit I came back to celebrate my milestone and to do some relapse prevention. I am happy that this was up on the board today.

At 3 years into my healthy long term quit, I'm glad to report that the yammering junky thoughts fade away. This year the smoking thoughts were few though they did occur - I was able to cope with them and focus on the real issues because I KNOW I'M A NICOTINE ADDICT, and I'm GLAD I know that about myself today.

Knowing that one cigarrette equals all, helps me keep my perspective. I learned here at Freedom that when I begin to entertain the lies that my mind tells me: "You need to calm down", "Why don't you have a smoke", "...no one will know", "Just one won't hurt anything", or the biggest lie of all - "Don't you remember how good it feels?"

All the manipulation my junky mind will use STILL trying to get the drug it wants... but it is very very seldom now and just a passing thought... no cravings at all - I am craving free and I can breathe easily without pain or wheezing. For this quitter, knowledge is power. Knowing that I was unable to quit for many many years and that I smoked long after I "wanted" to.... With the help of all here, I was able to learn and practice healthy ways to not only cope, but to live with who I am. Today, I am an cold turkey ex-smoker and a nicotine addict. And I'm glad I know that about myself today, because embracing that and refusing to give into denial and deceiving thoughts keeps me free from nicotine.

Yes you can, yes you can, yes you can!

Dos
I have been quit for 3 Years, 2 Days (1098 days).
I have saved $4,942.15 by not smoking 32,947 cigarettes.
I have saved 3 Months, 3 Weeks, 1 Day, 9 hours and 35 minutes of my life.
Tried bumping this up before - 3rd time's a charm I hope.

joejFree - Nicotine Free and Healing for Seven Months, Twenty Nine Days, 1 Hour and 44 Minutes, (241 days)
Reclaiming 21 Days and 20 HoursImage
6027 nicotine delivery devices not used - $1,208.25 retained earnings.

Thanks Bob,
This story is really helpful!
Marij.
Knowing this has been the most liberating, empowering thing.

Change you inner dialogue from "I hope I don't" to "I KNOW I WON'T!"

The Law of Addiction is clear cut.
It presents us addicts with the ultimate Alternate Choice Close. All or None.
You either do or you don't, there is no try!

I choose none - I choose Life.
Smoking IS an Option
More tremendous words of wisdom from Bob. This post has carried me through some tough moments, this part of it in particular:

"a friend had her lit cigarette in the ash tray while she shot. I wasn't afraid of it any more, because I saw it for what it was... I stared it down. I know what you are, I thought."

Thanks, Bob. With these words of wisdom ringing in my head, I've stared down more than one nasty smoldering cigarette in the last couple of months. My best friend chain-smokes and occasionally leaves me alone with a lit one in the ashtray...I've actually said the words "I know what you are" out loud....of course if anyone ever catches me talking to a cigarette they'll probably have me committed Image.
Thanks to the education and knowledge that Freedom has given me, I know that this filthy addiction would re-claim all my waking hours and eventually my life if I ever gave it the chance again. But thanks to Freedom, I also know that all it takes to win is to NTAP!!

Cindy

I have been quit for 1 Month, 3 Weeks, 3 Days, 21 hours and 28 minutes. I have saved $209.59 by not smoking 1,397 cigarettes. I have saved 4 Days, 20 hours and 25 minutes of my life.
Set yourself free - finally.
Change your inner dialogue from
"I hope I don't"
to
"I KNOW I WON'T!"
The Law of Addiction is clear cut.
It presents us addicts with the ultimate Alternate Choice Close.
All or None.
I choose none - I choose Life.

JoeJFree always a nicotine addict and gratefully now an EX-smoker for 1 year, 2 months, 15 days, 8 hours, 28 minutes and 39 seconds (439 days)
I've now reclaimed 38 Days and 3 Hours to live how I choose!Image
NTAP!
ImageI'm an addict but I know I won't and will always be reading O'Bob great helping wordsImage

Last edited by Joe J free on 05 Jul 2009, 20:25, edited 4 times in total.

Joe J free

20 Feb 2009, 00:54 #6

"But, while the junky was yammering away, the free person inside knew how to cope, knew how to cope because I KNOW I am an ADDICT!" - from OBobGold

"Today, I am a cold turkey ex-smoker and a nicotine addict. I'm glad I know that about myself today because embracing that and refusing to give in to denial and deceiving thoughts keeps me free from nicotine." - from Dubiously Dos

". . . I reminded myself several times of the OTHER cigarettes I'd be smoking. . ."
1. The one too many that made me nauseous.
2. The one I had to get up early for even though I wanted to sleep in.
3. The one that kept me home instead of out living life because I wanted to
be able to smoke freely.
4. The one I needed that kept me from being in the present moment for much
of my life.

"I am an addict and the only requirement to continue not smoking is to...not smoke."
So I choose to "not smoke". I choose Life. Thanks JoeJFree.
Libby - free and healing for 7 months
A REALLY inspiring piece of reading! Thank you for sharing!
And all too true...this is what keeps me from that sneaky little "just one" thought. That is the thought that ruined my first quit, my second quit and my third quit. But it is my knowledge today that keeps me safe.
I have chosen not to take another puff for 68 days!!!
Sharon
Image For whomever may need to read this today
....that the only requirement to continue not smoking was to....
not smoke. Image
One = All.
I'll stick with none.Image
"Today, I am a cold turkey ex-smoker and a nicotine addict. I'm glad I know that about myself today because embracing that and refusing to give in to denial and deceiving thoughts keeps me free from nicotine." - from Dubiously Dos

We are and will always be recovering nicotine addicts. We will always be addicts, but we do not have to continue to use. The addiction becomes asymptomatic and will remain so as long as we stay committed to Never Taking Another Puff.

There are no such things as ex-addicts - only ex-smokers.
O'Bob FROM ABOVE:
"I had taken a serious one-day-at-a-time attitude with this quit, as well as a wait-and-see one. For a while after I quit, I left open the possibility of testing myself at a year.... but, not for now... not today. I figured I'd see how I felt about it when the time came.
I guess that it was about the time of this thread that I decided this was no longer an experiment. I lost interest in "testing" myself, and a) not smoking was preferable, and b) that the only requirement to continue not smoking was to.... not smoke.

None of this was possible before I found Freedom, and the education I received here. I didn't know what that cigarette was before. I didn't have the ability to superimpose the many bad ones over the "happy one". All I would see was the "happy one". My eyes are now OPEN. They're open to the true nature of nicotine, and my addiction. Today, I celebrate the discovery of my addiction. This "addiction" -- the discovery and understanding of it -- has set me free. - O'Bob

Admit and Acknowledge your addiction.
Accept your addiction. That knowledge is powerful.
No need to agree to reliquish control and living as an addict.
Never Take Another Puff and Free YOU Will Stay.

Because we are each incurably addicted to nicotine
is not cause for any of us to again become an addict using nicotine.

JoeJFree-Goldx2
You know, it's a funny thing about choices and possible futures. Here I sit in one possible (actual) future. Able to post to this thread in reminiscence over the choice I made these many months ago... delighted with my choice and my freedom. A choice that, made differently, would have led to a different possible future... one where I'd long ago put Freedom out of my mind. One where I'm still smoking away my waking hours, hacking away with my smoker's cough, telling myself that I've got to quit some day... trapped in the suicidal cycle that characterizes the smoker's daily routine.

This thread was an eye-opening moment for me (that's probably obvious). I had taken a serious one-day-at-a-time attitude with this quit, as well as a wait-and-see one. For a while after I quit, I left open the possibility of testing myself at a year.... but, not for now... not today. I figured I'd see how I felt about it when the time came.

I guess that it was about the time of this thread that I decided this was no longer an experiment. I lost interest in "testing" myself, and a) not smoking was preferable, and b) that the only requirement to continue not smoking was to.... not smoke.

ImageBob (2 years free)
No need to agree to reliquish control and keep living as an addict.

JoeJFree-Goldx2

"Today, I am a cold turkey ex-smoker and a nicotine addict. I'm glad I know that about myself today because embracing that and refusing to give in to denial and deceiving thoughts keeps me free from nicotine."
- From Dubiously Dos's post

We are and will always be nicotine addicts.
We will always be addicted to nicotine, but we do not have to continue to be an addict who uses. Our addiction becomes asymptomatic when ingestion ceases and will remain dormant so as long as we stay committed to Not Taking Another Puff.
ImageAdmitting our Addiction, Accepting that we are addicts, can be difficult to do at first and even harder to get used to living with. I believe it goes to our cultural 'Image of the Addict'. Dirty, deceitful, disgusting, no control, lack of self-esteem, lack of will, lack of fortitude, unwilling to change, believing thier own lies.........

Yep, fits to a 'T'. Coming to grips with the reality of our addiction is the first important step in the recovery journey.The Journey of re-adjustment to "you",The Journey home, A Journey beyond comfort.

There is no need for blame and certainly no place for shame when coming to grips with the reality of our nicotine addiction. Very few, if any, can say "I knew how addictive nicotine was and I chose to use it anyway."

Start today, start now (for now is all we ever have) to learn to love yourself enough to take back & retain control of your life by removing nicotine from your personal contents list. Get comfortable with that decision. Embrace your new / recovered / real life!
From that point in our life's time....that bright line in the sand.....when we decide and declare No More!.......THAT is where our healing and recovery begin. Don't wait and worry about becoming and ex-smoker 'some day. If you are clean of nicotine you are already there - you are as free as you'll ever be,

There is no such thing as an ex-addict - there are only Ex-Smokers.....
which is quite a good thing to be called. Image

JoeJ Free - Gold

Last edited by Joe J free on 08 Jul 2009, 02:02, edited 7 times in total.

Joe J free

20 Feb 2009, 01:00 #7

_forza-d-animo_ Sent: 4/20/2007 9:58 AM
For Gump, who didn't want his post bumped up.
I thought this might help.
I stared it down. I know what you are, I thought. One = All. I'll stick with none. Today, I celebrate the discovery of my addiction. This "addiction" -- the discovery and understanding of it -- has set me free.

Wow, Bob, this is awesome, thank you. Yes, I am humbled by knowing I have a real addiction....and VERY encouraged by your "staring it down and claiming the truth...I KNOW WHAT YOU ARE.

Thanks

Katie - After 40 Years!, Free and Healing for One Month, Four Days, 11 Hours and 45 Minutes, while extending my life expectancy 2 Days, by avoiding the use of 586 nicotine delivery devices that would have cost me $117.43.

PS - Katie is approaching Triple Gold now.
_forza-d-animo_ Sent: 9/25/2007 8:29 PM
Nothing to be ashamed of,
just a realization that allows us to understand what we are up against.
Once we know
We can do something about it.
Great old msg. - and soooo Santa Cruz! The freedom thing: Freedom to go to a non-smoking bar, and freedom to go to the smoke-out if you choose. How wonderfully American it is down there. I wonder if that place is still around.

I thank you, Mr. Bob for that one paragraph:

I picked it up, and looked at it. Saw the way the paper burned, and the way the gray smoke curled upward. Saw the brown stain on the end of the filter, where the poison enters the addict's mouth. I stared it down. I know what you are, I thought. Wasn't gloating; just acknowledging. I put it back down, and went and took my shot.

What a simple, eloquent way to describe the strength and sweet freedom one finds here at WhyQuit.
A great reminder message du jour.

Thanks Mucho,
E. (Sonoma Co)
I have been quit for 1 Month, 2 Weeks, 14 hours, 11 minutes and 25 seconds (45 days). I have saved $174.69 by not smoking 729 cigarettes. I have saved 2 Days, 12 hours and 45 minutes of my life. My Quit Date: 8/14/2007 5:11 AM
There is no need for blame and certainly no place for shame when coming to grips with the reality of our nicotine addiction. Very few, if any, can say "I knew how addictive nicotine was and I chose to use it anyway."

Start today, start now (for now is all we ever have) to learn to love yourself enough to take back & retain control of your life by removing nicotine from your personal contents list. Get comfortable with that decision. Embrace your new / recovered / real life!
From that point in our life's time....that bright line in the sand.....when we decide and declare No More!.......THAT is where our healing and recovery begin. Don't wait and worry about becoming and ex-smoker 'some day. If you are clean of nicotine you are already there - you are as free as you'll ever be,

There is no such thing as an ex-addict - there are only Ex-Smokers.....
which is quite a good thing to be called.Image

JoeJ Free - Gold (999 Days)
From above......

But, while the junky was yammering away, the free person inside knew how to cope. Knew how to cope because I KNOW I am an ADDICT! I didn't know that in the past. I believed I smoked too much because I'd gotten in a bad habit. I figured that I could quit for a while, and then, once the habit was broken, I could go back, and have the occassional ciggie. I know that to be the product of a lack of education.

Because I know I'm an addict, I know that there is NO SUCH THING as having one casual cigarette. It's an impossibility. ONE = ALL, a fact that I've proven over and over to myself in the past.

....read, learn and be free.

Never Take Another Puff

JohnnyNoNic
From the end of Bob's post:
We were playing pool, and a friend had her lit cigarette in the ash tray while she shot. I wasn't afraid of it any more, because I saw it for what it was. I picked it up, and looked at it. Saw the way the paper burned, and the way the gray smoke curled upward. Saw the brown stain on the end of the filter, where the poison enters the addict's mouth. I stared it down. I know what you are, I thought. Wasn't gloating; just acknowledging. I put it back down, and went and took my shot.

None of this was possible before I found Freedom, and the education I received here. I didn't know what that cigarette was before. I didn't have the ability to superimpose the many bad ones over the "happy one". All I would see was the "happy one". My eyes are now OPEN. They're open to the true nature of nicotine, and my addiction. Today, I celebrate the discovery of my addiction. This "addiction" -- the discovery and understanding of it -- has set me free.
Seeing tobacco smoking for what it really is - as Bob said "I know what you are..." - keeps the activity in perspective when we are spending time in the presence of folks who have not yet decided to gain control of this awful addiction.
Because I know I'm an addict, I know that there is NO SUCH THING as having one casual cigarette. It's an impossibility. ONE = ALL, a fact that I've proven over and over to myself in the past. - O'Bob
No need to agree to reliquish control and keep living as an addict.

JoeJFree-Goldx3.75

YEAH WE HAVE TO AT FIRST ADMIT THAT WE ARE A DRUG-ADDICT. THERE IS NO DIFFERENCE BETWEEN SMOKING AND DRUG-ADDICTION. AND WE HAVE TO THINK IS THIS SO..THINK THINK READ AND ACCEPT. THEN YOU ARE HALF DONE. OF-COURSE IF YOU WANT TO LEAD A GOOD AND HEALTHY LIFE.
UJJWAL SAHA
From above......

But, while the junky was yammering away, the free person inside knew how to cope. Knew how to cope because I KNOW I am an ADDICT! I didn't know that in the past. I believed I smoked too much because I'd gotten in a bad habit. I figured that I could quit for a while, and then, once the habit was broken, I could go back, and have the occassional ciggie. I know that to be the product of a lack of education.

Because I know I'm an addict, I know that there is NO SUCH THING as having one casual cigarette. It's an impossibility. ONE = ALL, a fact that I've proven over and over to myself in the past.

....read, learn and be free.

Never Take Another Puff
Last edited by Joe J free on 08 Jul 2009, 02:10, edited 7 times in total.