Hypnotherapy for smoking cessation

John (Gold)

06 May 2004, 06:16 #1

From The Cochrane Library, Issue 2, 2004. [/size] Chichester, UK: John Wiley & Sons, Ltd. All rights reserved.[/size]

Hypnotherapy for smoking cessation (Cochrane Review)
Abbot NC, Stead LF, White AR, Barnes J
ABSTRACT
A substantive amendment to this systematic review was last made on 18 February 1998. Cochrane reviews are regularly checked and updated if necessary.
Background: Hypnotherapy is widely promoted as a method for aiding smoking cessation. It is proposed to act on underlying impulses to weaken the desire to smoke or strengthen the will to stop.
Objectives: The objective of this review was to evaluate the effects of hypnotherapy for smoking cessation.
Search strategy: We searched the Cochrane Tobacco Addiction Group trials register and the databases Medline, Embase, AMED, SCI, SSCI and CISCOM using the terms smoking cessation and hypnotherapy or hypnosis in June 2001.
Selection criteria: We considered randomised trials of hypnotherapy which reported smoking cessation rates at least six months after the beginning of treatment.
Data collection and analysis: Two reviewers extracted data on the type of subjects, the type and duration of the hypnotherapy, the nature of the control group,the outcome measures, method of randomisation, and completeness of follow-up.The main outcome measure was abstinence from smoking after at least six months follow-up in patients smoking at baseline. We used the most rigorous definition of abstinence in each trial, and biochemically validated rates where available. Subjects lost to follow-up were counted as smokers. Where possible, we performed meta-analysis using a fixed effects model.
Main results: Nine studies compared hypnotherapy with 14 different control interventions. There was significant heterogeneity between the results of the individual studies, with conflicting results for the effectiveness of hypnotherapy compared to no treatment or to advice. We therefore did not attempt to calculate pooled odds ratios for the overall effect of hypnotherapy. There was no evidence of an effect of hypnotherapy compared to rapid smoking or psychological treatment.
Reviewers' conclusions: We have not shown that hypnotherapy has a greater effect on six month quit rates than other interventions or no treatment. The effects of hypnotherapy on smoking cessation claimed by uncontrolled studies were not confirmed by analysis of randomised controlled trials.
Citation: Abbot NC, Stead LF, White AR, Barnes J. Hypnotherapy for smoking cessation (Cochrane Review). In: The Cochrane Library, Issue 2, 2004. Chichester, UK: John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
This is an abstract of a regularly updated, systematic review prepared and maintained by the Cochrane Collaboration. The full text of the review is available in The Cochrane Library (ISSN 1464-780X).[/size]
All rights reserved.

richard This is It GOLD

06 May 2004, 06:25 #2

"....Britney said she liked the way cigarettes made her voice sound."

Oh dear...... If I were to respond to this comment the way I'd like to respond, I think my days on this group would be numbered....

I'm so glad I don't qualify to read the "Teen Hollywood Web Network"

Image (richard - who likes the way never taking another puff for the past almost 26 months makes his voice sound)

BillW Gold.ffn

06 May 2004, 06:45 #3

Hi John.... and Richard!

I tried hypnosis quite a while before I came to Freedom. Didn't work. 'Course, if I ever criticize the hypnotist in public, a post - hypnotic sucgggggg..g.gggg

Bark! Bark! Bark!!! Woof! pantpantpantpant...

Rickrob53 Gold

06 May 2004, 07:22 #4

Many years ago a very good friend of mine got hypnotized to quit smoking. Since he was not only a smoker, but a sceptic too, he wanted to see if quitting would "take". The suggestion he received was that he'd get very sick if he smoked. He smoked one cigarette...then he puked his guts out. The second cigarette had absolutely no effect. And he just kept on smoking.

Let's hope that the celebrity hypnotist that's going to help Britney is better than the one who helped my friend!

Richard 3 (uurrpp) months

JohnPolito

16 Oct 2010, 04:50 #5

I tried hypnotherapy twice and I must say that both times I did well for the first day or so but then was right back to smoking.  The second time I underwent it I was with four friends and none of us made it for more than a couple of days.  Anyway, they've apparently updated the first study review above as shown below in that there have been two additional cessation hypnosis studies conducted since then, now a total of 11 studies.  Still just one rule that provides 100% odds of success to all who follow it ... no nicotine today! 

Breathe deep, hug hard, live long,

John (Gold x11)

Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2010 Oct 6;10:CD001008.

Barnes J, Dong CY, McRobbie H, Walker N, Mehta M, Stead LF.

Abstract

BACKGROUND: Hypnotherapy is widely promoted as a method for aiding smoking cessation. It is proposed to act on underlying impulses to weaken the desire to smoke or strengthen the will to stop.

OBJECTIVES: To evaluate the efficacy of hypnotherapy for smoking cessation.

SEARCH STRATEGY: We searched the Cochrane Tobacco Addiction Group Specialized Register and the databases

MEDLINE, EMBASE, AMED, SCI, SSCI using the terms smoking cessation and hypnotherapy or hypnosis. Date of most recent searches July 2010. There were no language restrictions.

SELECTION CRITERIA: We considered randomized controlled trials of hypnotherapy which reported smoking cessation rates at least six months after the beginning of treatment.

DATA COLLECTION AND ANALYSIS: Three authors independently extracted data on participant characteristics, the type and duration of the hypnotherapy, the nature of the control group, smoking status, method of randomization, and completeness of follow up. They also independently assessed the quality of the included studies.The main outcome measure was abstinence from smoking after at least six months follow up. We used the most rigorous definition of abstinence in each trial, and biochemically validated rates where available. Those lost to follow up were considered to be smoking. We summarised effects as risk ratios (RR). Where possible, we performed meta-analysis using a fixed-effect model. We also noted any adverse events reported.

MAIN RESULTS: Eleven studies compared hypnotherapy with 18 different control interventions. There was significant heterogeneity between the results of the individual studies, with conflicting results for the effectiveness of hypnotherapy compared to no treatment, or to advice, or psychological treatment. We did not attempt to calculate pooled risk ratios for the overall effect of hypnotherapy. There was no evidence of a greater effect of hypnotherapy when compared to rapid smoking or psychological treatment. Direct comparisons of hypnotherapy with cessation treatments considered to be effective had confidence intervals that were too wide to infer equivalence.

AUTHORS' CONCLUSIONS: We have not shown that hypnotherapy has a greater effect on six-month quit rates than other interventions or no treatment. There is not enough evidence to show whether hypnotherapy could be as effective as counselling treatment. The effects of hypnotherapy on smoking cessation claimed by uncontrolled studies were not confirmed by analysis of randomized controlled trials.

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/o/cochra ... frame.html
Last edited by JohnPolito on 16 Oct 2010, 04:53, edited 1 time in total.