"How in the world did I do it?"

Joel

20 Nov 2001, 00:20 #11

Image Patsy's post today titled "I can't believe I did it" made me think of this one.

fresh

10 Jan 2002, 09:34 #12

it is like magic. i can read your notes and do not want to smoke. you have a gift and believe you are grateful to be able to help so many people heal themselves and feel good about themselves. remembering what you said has helped me to not smoke. remembering that i am an addict. i cannot smoke becuase of that. not one puff. thank you for your help fresh

Joel

21 Jun 2002, 06:05 #13

Image I saw a few of our members expressing this sentiment at reaching one month and three month of being successfully smoke free. So many people felt for years or even decades that it was impossible for them to quit smoking. It was only by pulling off a quit that they can realize that life without smoking is possible. No one should ever feel that quitting smoking and staying free is just a remote possibility, it is in fact a one hundred percent certainty as long as the ex-smoker always keeps his or her promise to himself or herself to never take another puff!

Joel

DebD (GOLD)

21 Jun 2002, 15:29 #14

Joel, I am one of those that are amazed at being here and not sure how I got here. I just past the 3 months mark and am in awe that it has been 3months without a smoke! I am very thankful and grateful for you and Freedom for the education and the support I have received to make it possible. I know I am an addict and it would only take one puff to ruin everything I've worked so hard to achieve and that fact scares me to death because I am afraid I don't have another quit in me. I am comfortable in my quit but I still do take it one day at a time to never take another puff! DebD
I have chosen not to partake in nicotine for Three months, 14 hours, 35 minutes and 35 seconds. 1852 cigarettes not smoked, saving $361.01(which I used to go backpacking for the first time in my life to celebrate). Life saved: 6 days, 10 hours, 20 minutes.

Chocky (Green)

18 Oct 2002, 05:51 #15

Have to agree with fresh, its weird. every evening I come to Freedom to read the posts, and all the doubts, negative thoughts, and cravings that have been with me though the day just dissappear. I feel pround that i've quit. Understand I can never have another. Know that I won't (for today - baby steps!)
It IS 'Magic'!

Image Chocky

1 week, 3 days, 36 mins.............

Joel

11 Jun 2005, 18:56 #16

From above: With so many people now getting over the one week mark and the reality starts setting in, some people find themselves in amazement that after numerous quit attempts in their life they finally pulled it off. Also, some people who have quit before for significant periods of time only to have relapses start to get apprehensive as to will this one stick or follow the course of the past quits.

There is something different this time that gives you all the advantage of being able to succeed over the long haul. The difference is the understanding of drug addiction. If you know and equally important continue to believe that you were and are still a recovering nicotine addict and that one puff is going to undo everything you have accomplished, this quit will last. If you ever allow yourself to fall back to the mindset that you are off so long, like not smoking so much, or alternatively hate smoking so much, feel so good, and it seems so easy that you start to think you have it totally under control, you are no longer an addict and so if you have just one or two cigarettes or even puffs, this quit will go the route of the others. But if you keep remembering you are a recovering addict, even though there is no visible sign and for the most part the addiction is asymptomatic, as long as you keep recognizing it is there and has the potential of taking you down with any little infraction, well as long as you continue to understand that premise this will be the last quit you will ever have to do.

Stay focused on what you have accomplished here. I know I saw from some posts how family members are still making a big deal out of your quit, but that is going to subside soon. Family and friends are going to start to take it for granted that you just don't smoke anymore and that it is no longer a big deal. But your not smoking is still a big deal and should remain so for the rest of your life. Not to others though but you each and every one of you. To keep it a big deal, wake up every day and say you are not going to smoke that day and congratulate yourself at the end of each day for accomplishing that designated goal.

Day by day, stick to the goal. Every day is another victory worth celebration that over time will become weeks, months, years and decades worth celebrating. All these landmark times will become a reality for each of you as long as you never take another puff!

Joel

Crystal View1.ffn

03 Oct 2005, 08:19 #17

Image Image

Katie - After 40 Years! Free and Healing for Eleven Months, Fifteen Days, 11 Hours and 18 Minutes, while extending my life expectancy 20 Days and 16 Hours, by avoiding the use of 5958 nicotine delivery devices that would have cost me $1,208.93.

JoeJFree Gold

27 Apr 2007, 09:00 #18

From the last paragraph of initial post by Joel:

"If they can just get off for two weeks, they will once again break the addiction and gain freedom of choice over cigarettes again. But this time they have one advantage. They now know only two options exist for them. First, they can smoke nothing. Second, they can smoke everything. But there is no inbetween. If they ever desire an occasional cigarette, all they must do is think about what it was like the last time, when they returned to smoking, hating every day of it. Then they can make a choice, return to smoking or to Never Take Another Puff!"

RobinS614

25 Oct 2007, 18:44 #19

Never Take Another Puff
One Day At a Time
No Nicotine Today
How did we do it?
Simple....Image.....we got smart.

Joel Spitzer

27 May 2014, 01:17 #20

From original post: "The true goal of our program is not to make smokers quit forever--just to help them quit for two weeks."

The new video, "I don't have a choice, I have to quit smoking" talks about this concept.