How do you handle being with smokers?

Joel

22 Dec 2000, 21:21 #21

Since Linda brought up my posts for the morning I thought I would bring up other peoples. More important, because of the holiday get togethers that many of us will soon be experiencing, getting together with specific people who we may not have seen since first quitting, many new triggers may be abound. So be psyched up everybody. Remember, you don't want to be a smoker no matter how much you may think a cigarette would seem good or just seem right at the moment. That is the key, the thought is of the moment, the result could be a relapse followed by a lifetime of smoking, albiet a shorter lifetime. If you base your decision on the long-term implications and I am sure the decision will be to never take another puff!

Joel

Susanne

30 Dec 2000, 04:09 #22

Thank you, that was a badly needed one. Very.

Deb

30 Dec 2000, 13:08 #23

Zep,
Thank-you for posting this. I have been thinking about this very issue. And was touched that you feel I could handle anything. Well I try my best. Any way I know that I am strong in my quit. I have no doult that the issue is settled. I'm an addict but have found Freedom and plan on holding onto it with every thing that is with in me. I share this because I don't want you to think I'm in trouble. But I've been dealing with thought. Otherwise known as "stinkin thinkin." or "junkie thinking". Either way it's no fun. Let me explain. It isn't always easy to be around or leaving with some one who smokes when you've quit. The triggers I use to have, have lessened in number and severity. I'm much stronger and ready to go on-line and encourage anyone I can. But what makes me feel bad is the guilt I feel when I have a thought about a killerette. I know the thought caused me to give up on my quit but I feel like I have lost something. Anyway, after the thought I just get busy doing something else and the thought goes away. I guess my question is, is this normal? And if so how long before it goes away? I've read some who so they no longer have any thought about killerettes. To them they are a foreign subject. It's like having a mind of child that has never hear of a cigerette much less what one looked like or what to do with it. Is it really possible to get to this point. Or could my constant surroudings of my husband habit be effecting me to some how to not recievce total Freedom? I also want you to know that I know a thought c an't hurt you but what can is what you do with the thought.
Awaitting your answer.

clown065

30 Dec 2000, 17:24 #24

I am fortunate or rather unfortunate (not sure), but since day one I have been surrounded by smokers at my work place. Now I don't even think when people smoke around me, sadly it is the norm here in Hong kong I just try to avoid as much second hand smoke as I can.

One thing very inportant although is too see the other side of smoking, this you can do when you are surrounded by smokers, their coughing, their poor health and lack of energy, to see them now still lighting up and knowing that each and every one of them would really like to quit, this just reinforces my determination to stay quit.

John
Four months, two weeks, four days, 14 hours, 23 minutes and 49 seconds. 2811 cigarettes not smoked, saving $4,217.98. Life saved: 1 week, 2 days, 18 hours, 15 minutes.

Joel

30 Dec 2000, 21:08 #25

Hello Deb:

I wrote a reply to you under the string "The Urge Hits." I think it addresses your issue. It sounds like you feel guilty that you still get the thought for cigarettes. Don't let that discourage you and don't feel guilty about them either. We our all human, we can't always control our thoughts, what is important is that we control our actions. This is true in all walks of life, but in addiction it has literal life and death ramifications. Anyway, read my post to you and the original article under the string mentioned above.

Joel

Joel

02 Jan 2001, 08:58 #26

For Bugs

John (Gold)

31 Mar 2001, 21:33 #27

Let the healing continue Image

pheonix(SILVER)

02 Apr 2001, 08:17 #28

When I'm with a smoker I think of people I loved that I watched die because they smoked. I refuse to do that to my children or myself. Sometimes now I leave and just cry, I go into the feeling all the way, I will never take another puff. Yes I do say things to people that smoke, and no I am not gentle In fact maybe I drive them nuts. I am going to make up some cards that say, when you are ready for freedom please go to whyquit.com. Then I won't have to say so much. I can bite my tongue, and pray they come here. Thats my 2 cents worth.

mirigirl (silver)

02 Apr 2001, 11:16 #29

Hey Phoenix - I love the idea about the cards!!

"When you are ready for Freedom....... you can try whyquit.com"

It would save me going into (what people think is) a lecture - the minute you start talking about smoking! That's how I used to think anyway.. I'd just switch off because I knew (??!!) I couldn't stop!!
(Amazing what some honest education and support can do!!)

Since I've Quit, I've got into saying.... "well you can go to this website/ you don't have to stop straight away/you can just read..... and when you're ready ...... etcetcetc" It all seemed a bit longwinded...when next time someone asks me how I stopped smoking.... I could just give them a card!! And a Image!
Then it's up to them!!

For someone who has been through some tuff times Phoenix - you are full of great ideas! Must be making you stronger!! Hopefully me too!! ImageImage

Actually I could really get creative here..... How about:
"When you are ready for Freedom.......
you can try whyquit.com"

on one side, and
"NEVER TAKE ANOTHER PUFF!!"

I better stop!!Image
yqs Maz
Two months, one week, five days, 14 hours, 15 minutes and 4 seconds of FREEDOM!!
1789 cigarettes not smoked, saving $572.75. Life saved: 6 days, 5 hours, 5 minutes.

John (Gold)

21 Apr 2001, 11:02 #30

ImageImageImageImage