How do you handle being with smokers?

Smoovasbird1

01 Sep 2006, 22:33 #121

AmAZING thread! I just loved it. My lungs don't deserve to be exposed to the filth that comes from being around smokers now that they are healing. I know I have the resolve to be around smokers and to NTAP, (and I can actually admit to feeling a little smug from time to time) knowing that they are so addicted - and havent realised it yet! I hate the smell, the way it drained life from my skin - let alone my lungs! Now the healing has begun - today is the last day of my 1st month! Get through this (as I WILL) and I'm green!! I'm LOVIN it!! :-)

danneo8

07 Sep 2006, 05:41 #122

John, I have a question about the healing lungs part of this recovery. I've read lots of info but haven't run across the answers to these questions. First, do the lungs ever really recover and shed the blackness and is it normal to feel as if I can't get a deep breath from time to time which has NEVER happened before? (I know my heart is fine--no heart attacks here) during this my second week? Someone said it's just my lungs reinflating. Is that the case? I'm very curious about this. Just point me in the right direction if there is already an article addressing this. And thank-you so much for your insight and dedication. Danneo

JoeJFree Gold

27 Nov 2006, 01:33 #123

Good article Zep. I agree whole-heartedly, facing your biggest obstacles makes you realize your ability to face smaller ones. It takes out a major anxiety factor of not smoking. The most important trick is go into these situations being mentally prepared for anything. It will generally turn out much easier and better than you think.

While I always tell people that everything they do as smokers, they can do without smoking, they will often find that there are some things that they no longer choose to do once quitting. Sitting in a smoke filled room is one of them. While it is in their ability to do so, without relapsing I should add, it still can become so uncomfortable, irritating, or in some cases, where somebody has preexisting conditions such as asthma, emphysema or a heart condition, down right dangerous, that no matter what the social factors involved, the ex-smoker realizes it is not worth it.

Sometimes it is not only the smoke which is an annoying factor. Sometimes the environment that you have to be in to smoke is its own challenge. This is seen commonly in the case where the only smoking section is outdoors, and outdoors is currently a subzero climate.

As I said, everything you do as a smoker, you can do as en ex-smoker. But common sense will tell you it is not worth it. While everything you can do as a smoker you can do as an ex-smoker is a true statement, the reverse does not always apply. I could probably come up with a long list of things here that don't work for smokers as they do for ex-smokers, but I am going to leave it at one. Sometimes you can breathe air you so that your heart can pump and you can live another minute as an ex-smoker. Over 400,000 Americans smokers lose that ability everyday.

Thanks for sharing Zep and starting a topic that should be near and dear to everyone's heart. (And lungs, and brain, and a whole bunch of other organs which smoking can slowly destroy).

JoeJFree Gold

17 Jan 2007, 23:00 #124

This is a very good thread to learn to utilize the 'Previous' and 'First' thread navigation buttons found at the top and bottom of the responses area of each page in this forum.

Watch them, study them, it's amazing what you'll learn. In a social setting you can almost see their triggers at work as they tank up early and often. If they've been deprived of nicotine for any length of time watch their expression with that first powerful puff and how long it takes to arrive in the brain (8 seconds). You can almost sense their Image relief as they waited too long.

Endless compliance with nicotine's two-hour chemical half-life, a host of triggers that include being with other smokers (teen peer pressure having grown old), joy, sadness, boredom, watching anger during story telling quickly generate acids that neutralize reserves of the alkaloid nicotine, alcohol generating acids and doing the same based upon the amount consumed, and all their urges and craves are mandatory or they'll soon find themselves going through withdrawal.

You are watching drug addiction at work, us not so long ago. How many of the smokers you see have any idea whatsoever of why they really smoke, of the law of addiction, or know nicotine's half-life inside their body or how long it would take for their body to be free of nicotine and 90% of its metabolites? How many of them appreciate why those first couple of cigarettes in the morning were always the best (3 to 5 nicotine half-lifes and their nicotine reserves level somewhere down around their socks)? How many of them know the maximum length of time that a subconscious crave episode will last (less than three minutes) or that time distortion is almost universial nicotine dependency recovery symptom?

If you asked them how they'd measure success at quitting, how many of them would pick the biggest bite possible (quitting for life) instead of a manageable and realistic measurement (full and complete success one day at a time)? How many of them have any idea how their brain became addicted or that nicotine's half-life now dictates flow of neurochemicals generating unearned rewards, altering mood or when their body will prepare for fight or flight (adrenaline)?

Nicotine is just a chemical with an I.Q. of zero. It does not plot or conspire even in social settings. Knowledge is power. It's amazing what we can learn by looking at where we've been. Only one rule, no nicotine today, Never Take Another Puff! John

Just Hannes

26 May 2007, 21:46 #125

There are people who admit they like the smell of second hand smoke.

I myself hate the smell. I told that to myself after a couple of weeks in my quit and I held on to it. I avoid second hand smoke and if I can't avoid it I tell myself I hate the smell. This is kind of letting myself know I'm stubborn and never will take a puff again.

If you say it often enough you will believe yourself. Same like saying each day I hate the smell of baked eggs. If you say that to yourself 100 times per day you will hate the smell in a couple of weeks.

Attitude or mindplays to make my quit stronger.

Frits (5 months+)

JoeJFree Gold

25 Apr 2008, 03:30 #126

Thought nomore535 would like this older post:
I ran into an old friend in the gas station where I used to buy my daily supply (3 packs) and we had a nice chat. My work at WhyQuit came up and she was pretty interested. After we said goodbye I was immediately approached by a young smoker in his 20s with pen and paper in hand who asked, "what was that online address to that smoking site again?"

You may not realize it yet but we have each learned some pretty sought after skills here - how to live nicotine free just one day at a time. Don't be afraid to share what you've learned. The CDC's annual U.S. adult smoking survey was published last week and it once again found that a solid 70% of all smokers say that they want to quit smoking. That means that there's a 70% chance that the next smoker you meet is searching or praying for honest answers!