“How can I get my family and friends to quit smoking?”

Joel

13 May 2003, 03:29 #21

Today I did a program for 110 sixth graders. There were many questions both during and after the program from kids concerned about their parents smoking. One of the students father had just suffered a heart attack within the past few weeks and was in the process of quitting. I encouraged the group to refer their parents to www.whyquit.com as well as their siblings and other people they encounter.

I pointed out we try to cover issues at www.whyquit.com that are pertinent to people who smoke and want to quit, as well as providing materials for people who smoke and may still need a little extra motivation as to why they should quit, as well as for kids who do not smoke yet and want to reinforce their resolve to stay smoke free.

These kids are at the age where they are facing a huge amount of peer pressure to smoke and they need to have solid reasons if they are going to resist this kind of pressure. I am bringing up a few posts that are pertinent to them, and in the event that they do pass along the site to their parents and other adults, I am bringing up materials for these people also.

Joel

Joel

18 Jun 2003, 22:19 #22

One more way you may be able to help someone quit smoking is to email them a link to our new e-book at www.whyquit.com/joel/ntap.pdf.

Joel

06 May 2004, 04:53 #23

Post from last year:
ImageRecommend ImageDelete Message 55 of 68 in Discussion
Today I did a program for 110 sixth graders. There were many questions both during and after the program from kids concerned about their parents smoking. One of the students father had just suffered a heart attack within the past few weeks and was in the process of quitting. I encouraged the group to refer their parents to www.whyquit.com as well as their siblings and other people they encounter.

I pointed out we try to cover issues at www.whyquit.com that are pertinent to people who smoke and want to quit, as well as providing materials for people who smoke and may still need a little extra motivation as to why they should quit, as well as for kids who do not smoke yet and want to reinforce their resolve to stay smoke free.

These kids are at the age where they are facing a huge amount of peer pressure to smoke and they need to have solid reasons if they are going to resist this kind of pressure. I am bringing up a few posts that are pertinent to them, and in the event that they do pass along the site to their parents and other adults, I am bringing up materials for these people also.

Joel

I went back to the same school mentioned above and did a presentation to probably another 110-120 sixth graders. While the group was made up of different kids with slightly different stories, the basic issues talked about above are the same. Actually, this is the 24th year in a row that I have talked to this school. I suspect I have students in this group who are children of students I talked to many years ago.

As always when I am doing school groups, I like to pop up a few extra posts that are directly addressing the concerns of young people, hopefully before they ever find themselves trapped into years of addiction. If any of our regular members have posts that they think will help influence these kids, today would be a good day to bring them up. Hopefully we can help some young people to never take up smoking, and in the event that there were some who have already started with experimentation, we will be able to help influence them to commit now to never take another puff!

Joel

Joel

22 Mar 2005, 04:59 #24

I see where a few people are facing the dilemma of how to help influence friends and family members to quit smoking. The best way to help is setting the example that not only is it possible to quit, but that overall life is better once you did quit. The odds are pretty good that when you were a smoker you didn't think either of these situations were possible or likely. But you can't dwell on the topic with them if they are not ready or willing to hear it. If you say anything about smoking, say it infrequently, but let your example of not smoking and smiling speak for itself. Whether you say it or not you are setting the example. If you have physical improvements, subtly bring it up, maybe not even mentioning smoking. If you are out shopping and see something you like while with them, buy it and say it is a little reward for yourself. Don't say why, just be cool and nonchalant about it. Most important, just carry on your normal existence to the best of your ability when around these people. You will be quietly teaching them that there really is life after smoking.

If it does eventually influence them and they are ready to quit, they will likely come to you for advice. Then you can refer them here, or print out materials from here and give it to them, or come read yourself the materials and translate into a personally delivered philosophy. Keep it simple for them. Quitting is not complicated or expensive. All it involves is getting nicotine out of the body. And staying off is not complicated either, it is simply a matter of remembering why you quit, remembering why you don't want to go back to smoking, and then remembering the way not to go back is to never take another puff!

Joel

ivanochiki007

27 Apr 2005, 08:17 #25

Until now I have been so preoccupied with my own quit that I have never mentioned this issue before. But now the time has come to talk about it. My dearest is a smoker, big time smoker, who has never even thought about quitting and claims that he actually 'enjoys' it.
During our life together I have attempted to quit several times and when one day I again joined him for a cigarette, his expression was telling something like"Well, it was time that you started again.". He has not really said anything negative about my quit attempts, but was not supportive either and seemed to be sure that I will go back to smoking soon.
This time (almost three weeks now) has been different in many ways, also my husband's reaction was different. He was not supportive at all and even hostile towards me. He seemed to sense that I meant it for real this time and that he was definitely loosing me as his 'smoke partner'. Without really saying it directly he seemed to do all to make it even more difficult for me, for example leaving cigarettes everywhere and announcing it every time before having one. My determination scared him, I think.
It has been sad to realize how smoking is more important to him than my health, because otherwise he would have been more helpful and more supportive. But I don't really blame him for that. My quit is still so fresh that I can well remember how powerful it's grip is.
Couple of days ago my dearest said that he has been thinking about joining me. We didn't talk about it more. But already this remark is a huge change in attitude. I will not pressure him and just hope that I can help him through my example.
Ivano - enjoying my 21st day of nicotine free life

Joel

21 May 2005, 02:49 #26

While non-smokers may offer their love, patience and understanding, you, as an ex-smoker, have the unique ability to be a highly supportive and credible source to the individual attempting to quit smoking. You knew what it was like to smoke. You know how much nicer it is to go through life as an ex-smoker. Share this knowledge. Be honest-if you still have thoughts for a cigarette, tell them. But clarify what the thoughts are like. If you are a typical ex-smoker, the thoughts occur quite infrequently, and even when they do occur they last only seconds and are just a passing desire rather than a real painful episode such as those encountered during initial cessation.

People giving up cigarettes need to know this natural evolutionary process of smoker to ex-smoker. When they encounter urges after the first two weeks, they are no longer experiencing physical withdrawal, rather they are responding to a psychological trigger. They are experiencing a new situation for the first time without a cigarette. The urge will pass and they will have learned how to face all future similar experiences as an ex-smoker, with no discomfort.

Share with them the information we shared with you during the clinic. Give them the same support that the others in your clinic gave to you. Most important, once smokers give up their cigarettes, offer periodic support to them letting them know you care about them, and always reinforce one concept to guarantee success in their continued non-smoking status-NEVER TAKE ANOTHER PUFF!

kwhtlw

20 Aug 2005, 12:28 #27

Joel,
I was stopping by and this thread caught my eye. I just wanted to say thank you! I used your advise (from this thread and many others) and I have been living with a smoke free wife for nine months. Thank You!!

Kevin
Clean a year and some.

mslindy6

20 Jan 2006, 09:38 #28

For Ivano

ivanochiki007

20 Jan 2006, 09:48 #29

Thank you, mslindy6.

Joel

16 Mar 2006, 18:08 #30

While non-smokers may offer their love, patience and understanding, you, as an ex-smoker, have the unique ability to be a highly supportive and credible source to the individual attempting to quit smoking. You knew what it was like to smoke. You know how much nicer it is to go through life as an ex-smoker. Share this knowledge. Be honest-if you still have thoughts for a cigarette, tell them. But clarify what the thoughts are like. If you are a typical ex-smoker, the thoughts occur quite infrequently, and even when they do occur they last only seconds and are just a passing desire rather than a real painful episode such as those encountered during initial cessation.

People giving up cigarettes need to know this natural evolutionary process of smoker to ex-smoker. When they encounter urges after the first two weeks, they are no longer experiencing physical withdrawal, rather they are responding to a psychological trigger. They are experiencing a new situation for the first time without a cigarette. The urge will pass and they will have learned how to face all future similar experiences as an ex-smoker, with no discomfort.

Share with them the information we shared with you during the clinic. Give them the same support that the others in your clinic gave to you. Most important, once smokers give up their cigarettes, offer periodic support to them letting them know you care about them, and always reinforce one concept to guarantee success in their continued non-smoking status-NEVER TAKE ANOTHER PUFF!