Holidays

Subconscious use cue extinguishment
VICKIGOLD2006

28 Nov 2007, 22:20 #21

ImageGreat article on the holidays and very timely for me. I am one of those gals that has a Christmas Village. Over the years, it has gotten out of hand because it keeps growing!! It takes a couple of days to get it out and up. Yesterday, I was arranging the houses and not very happy with the arrangement. The thought of taking a break and having a cigarette crossed my mind and took me quit by surprise. Wow, I thought, I haven't thought of having a cigarette in a long, long time. I thought my triggers were dealt with and had quietly died. WRONG. I'm an addict!!

Last year was the first year I did NOT put this village up, so I had not dealt with the smoking trigger of putting up the village...or the little "reward" breaks in arranging the village. Because of the education I've so freely received here, I sat down and thought about this "trigger". Did I want a cigarette, definitely NOT. But I hadn't thought about smoking in so long and I had just done Christmas decorating at my church without a single thought of smoking. Well, we moved last summer and it's a new church and I don't associate smoking there! So, after taking a few minutes to give this some thought, I realized I was just tired of working on this village, hadn't put it up as an ex-smoker, needed some water and that was that. I did not want a "reward cigarette". I was happy to have sat down with a bottle of water and realize how very lucky I am to have taken back control of my life. Nicotine no longer rules here, but occassionally, thoughts will drift in...fortunately, they are only thoughts now and not the "bargaining phase triggers" early in my quit. Happy Holidays to all and just remember to NTAP!!

ImageVICKI - Free and Healing for One Year, Three Months, Twenty Five Days, 16 Hours and 29 Minutes, while extending my life expectancy 33 Days and 12 Hours, by avoiding the use of 9654 nicotine delivery devices that would have cost me $2,215.76.

Joel

06 Dec 2007, 02:01 #22

For Cindy: "Holidays" Once again, the holiday season is upon us. The snow on the ground, the chill in the air, crowded stores, people hurrying to and from, family get togethers, television specials, and the sound of Christmas carols everywhere you go. All this hustle and bustle affects everyone, although not always in the same way. Some people find this a happy, exciting time of the year, while others feel the sense of loneliness and depression more now than at any other time. While the holidays may make some people happy and others sad, there is one special group of people who are universally affected the same way. The group, recent ex-smokers, the effect--desiring a cigarette.

It is not that holidays reinforce the need for nicotine. When a person quits smoking, the addiction is broken. Within two weeks of his last puff, he ceases having any physiological withdrawals or cravings. He does not, though, automatically break the established associations between his activities and cigarettes. Whenever he gets into a new situation, sees a person, feels an emotion, hears a song, or smells an aroma which he has not encountered since he has quit smoking, it will trigger the thought for a cigarette. But if he does not take the cigarette, he will break the triggered response. Next time encountering the same situation, he will not even think of a cigarette.

The holiday season is filled with new sensations and emotions. These feelings vary from individual to individual. No matter what the exact emotion is, the automatic impulse is to take a cigarette. If the holidays make you happy, a cigarette just seems like the icing on the cake. "If I just had a cigarette, everything would be perfect!" If the holidays results in a sense of loneliness, the thought will be, "I really miss my cigarette. It was a good friend."

But if he doesn't take the cigarette, he will soon realize an interesting fact. The holidays go on without smoking. If the holidays made him happy before, he can be happy again. If instead holidays made him sad, he will be sad again. Smoking does not change it one way or the other. One thing is for sure, though, in a few days the holiday will be over. If he makes it through without taking a cigarette, he will forget about smoking completely until the next time a new situation is encountered. Even then, the desire for a cigarette will be a fleeting thought. The realization that he overcame the urges and didn't take a cigarette will be a good feeling.

If, on the other hand, he took the first drag, he is once again hooked into a deadly addiction. He will not only crave cigarettes during holidays, but every day, every hour, every waking minute. He will once again be under total control of his cigarette. He will be totally addicted and truly miserable.

Don't ruin all you achieved when you quit smoking. While the thoughts for a cigarette may be more frequent during the holidays, they are not strong and they will not last long. If you overcome them this year, next year they will be even weaker, and more infrequent, and eventually you will think of them no further. To stay permanently free from this miserable addiction requires only one step, NEVER TAKE ANOTHER PUFF!

Chipits GOLD.ffn

02 Aug 2008, 07:01 #23

Many provinces in Canada Image(and perhaps elsewhere in the world?) are heading into a holiday long weekend today. Always best to be prepared to protect your quit on this and any other holiday. Only one requirement on any day - No Nicotine Today!
If this is your first time checking out this site, click on and read our >> Welcome! Are you ready to take back your life?
While holidays may afford some people the opportunity to take a day off of work, people do have some responsibilities in their lives that do not lend themselves to simply take off. One of these responsibilities is maintaining your personal vigilance in smoking cessation. Staying free from smoking requires a constant commitment that is maintained 24 hours a day, 365 days a year-and even 366 days a year in leap years.

It is important to note that this commitment does not require constant fighting or even constant thoughts. Most of the time it is really a non-issue. But even though you may no longer think about smoking or even a cigarette on any kind of a regular basis it is important for you to just stay aware that you made a promise to yourself to not smoke on every given day. Even on busy workdays that may be followed by a home life that is hectic and seems to afford you no time to think-it is important and helpful to take a few seconds to remind yourself that you have made a personal commitment to stay smoke free.

On days off if you have little extra time, try to remind yourself not only that you committed to quit-but also why you made that decision. Take a few extra minutes to remember smoking how it really was, assess life how it really is in contrast without smoking, take in consideration all of the real implications of smoking and you will have a stronger and reinforced resolve to never take another puff!

Joel

Last edited by Chipits GOLD.ffn on 08 Apr 2013, 16:35, edited 1 time in total.